Alcoves on the Silhouette: Thoughts?

POA1

When we had ours on the Reflection, we asked to switch to one further away from the Lawn Club, to have more privacy. Beyond that, there wasn't a difference.

Not really sure what you mean by that. All alcoves are located in/on the Lawn Club. Or are you referring to the Lawn Club Grill?

We booked our first cruise on the Silhouette and we're looking at the Alcove cabanas. We've had Holland America's retreat cabanas on the Nieuw Amsterdam on a couple of occasions, so we're interested to know what people think. Our itinerary is a 7 day Eastern Caribbean with 4 sea days and 3 port days.

On HAL, the cabanas had dedicated attendants who would bring drinks and take your lunch orders. You paid for the drinks, but the food was from the Lido buffet or the Burger bar.

We're booked under Big, Bigger, Biggest - so I guess that a cabana makes it "Biggerest."

We love the alcoves which are only available on the Silhouette and Reflection. We book for the entire week and save 20%, which is given back to you on board in the form of a credit. We love to know that we do not have to fight for a space to sit by the pools. Also, love the service. Your alcove butler will bring you lunch and drinks, in addition to the cheese, fruit, water and wine. If you have a drink package, no charge. We do tip the butler at the end of the week- While it doesn't have a clear sea view, we see the sea from our cabin etc. If we sat by the pool we wouldn't have a sea view either, but instead a view of games noise by people shouting and talking very loudly, and the highjinx around the pool. We enjoy the opportunity to just veg out in our alcove. We have been on many shore excursions, and we typically get off the ship for a while but get back on early so we enjoy our alcove every day. At night, sometimes entertainment is available and we sit in our alcove and enjoy.

Our little luxury!

You can see the sea from an alcove if you literally turn the chair around and look at it (and turn away from everyone else in the alcove), and then there is a busy public walkway in between your chair and the water that is used frequently by people going to and from the sunset bar. I wouldn't say the sea view possibilities of an alcove are really something people should consider as a benefit. Yes, you technically CAN look at the sea from an alcove - or you could just stand up and see it that way too.

That was our experience on the Reflection-- lots of people walking past and peering into the alcove, commenting on it. Plus people cutting between cabanas to get to the lawn. And, it was windy the day we had ours and had to be very insistent with the staff to get the top put up. I understand safety, but the whole reason we booked was to have a shaded area. We won't be doing alcoves on our next cruise.

There are a lot more people walking past us at the pool than in an Alcove. And you have to stand up, turn around, and stare over many others to see the sea ;) from the pool too.

They are an excellent way to have a bit of quiet space yet still be in the 'thick' of things with your 2500 new friends. :D

image.jpg.0683727b9d0cfd20ebc7c3e5c4d337da.jpg

So, while on a long European cruise on the Silhouette some friends decided to book one of those cabanas for an entire day. It then occurred to them that it might be boring so they started inviting onboard friends to join them (so they would have somebody with whom to socialize). Everyone turned them down (including us). But they asked us a second time (almost begged) so we did spend part of the day (including lunch time) with our pals. Service was good, the company was good, but it was completely boring. We normally spend lots of our sea days in a poolside lounger where we read and enjoy the pool But at the cabana, the pools were some distance away. And then there were the "gawkers" who would walk by and gawk...and the kids who would often play on the nearby lawn or have fun with the big chairs (located nearby).

Our friends decided they would probably not do it again. We did see some advantages for a large family group (or other group) which could take advantage of the somewhat isolated space. But keep in mind that the seating is somewhat limited.

Hank

It sure does make enjoying the small concerts they have from time to time tho.

I think that your photo may have just sold a week's worth of cabanas. I trust that you're getting commission. ;)

And then there were the "gawkers" who would walk by and gawk.

I continue to be amazed at the reports of "gawkers." We have rented alcoves around half a dozen times and have never had the experience of anyone walking by and gawking at us, peering into our alcove, staring at us, or any of the similar things people report. ;)

I continue to be amazed at the reports of "gawkers." We have rented alcoves around half a dozen times and have never had the experience of anyone walking by and gawking at us, peering into our alcove, staring at us, or any of the similar things people report. ;)

We never had a problem either-but I perhaps we were lucky!

• 1 month later...

Do you have any more pictures you can post?

If you aren't interested in getting up at 7 and racing to get a chair by the pool. If you aren't interest in pool games and music (which from recent reports has been pretty loud). If you are interested in quiet place that is yours all day. Then I would book an Alcove.

Personally, I love them and have them booked for all sea days on our upcoming cruise.

Here are some photos.

On our last Celebrity cruise, we booked an Alcove for a sea day. They were not able to close the roof due to the ship being under way, and we really needed the shade. They refunded our booking. Just be aware that if you book on a sea day, they will likely not be able to close the roof, and there will be no shade.

On our last Celebrity cruise, we booked an Alcove for a sea day. They were not able to close the roof due to the ship being under way, and we really needed the shade. They refunded our booking. Just be aware that if you book on a sea day, they will likely not be able to close the roof, and there will be no shade.

We book the alcoves for the entire week. On sea days, if the wind is extremely strong they might not close the top until the wind lessens. But that only happened to us once part of the day. It did happen also the day we arrived in Puerto Rico once also. We had extreme wind that day.

On a typical busy sea day, the Alcoves are wonderful. The cost on a port day is $99. not $149. They are great for a party of Four. Have been to PR many times and the ship arrives after 3:00 PM, we have toured a couple of times, but now do not get off the ship at that port. A great day IMO to reserve an alcove and enjoy

Enjoy

Edited by Cruise a holic

On a typical busy sea day, the Alcoves are wonderful. The cost on a port day is $99. not $149. They are great for a party of Four. Have been to PR many times and the ship arrives after 3:00 PM, we have toured a couple of times, but now do not get off the ship at that port. A great day IMO to reserve an alcove and enjoy

Enjoy

That's exactly what we are doing on our next cruise! Stay on board and enjoy the Alcove in San Juan.

• 2 years later...

Thank you OP for this post! Though a little old, it has been helpful while trying to decide if we wanted to try the Alcoves. I was a little hesitant where they are now from $249 at sea and from $99 at port, but a dedicated spot just for us to enjoy peace and quiet in the sun or shade for the day sounds like bliss. Do you still get a breeze while at sea? Can you move your chair(s) onto the lawn i.e. if one of us wants the shade and the other sun? Thanks in advance for anything you can share.

Thank you OP for this post! Though a little old, it has been helpful while trying to decide if we wanted to try the Alcoves. I was a little hesitant where they are now from $249 at sea and from $99 at port, but a dedicated spot just for us to enjoy peace and quiet in the sun or shade for the day sounds like bliss. Do you still get a breeze while at sea? Can you move your chair(s) onto the lawn i.e. if one of us wants the shade and the other sun? Thanks in advance for anything you can share. [/quot

Yes to both. Enjoy your alcove

Thank you OP for this post! Though a little old, it has been helpful while trying to decide if we wanted to try the Alcoves. I was a little hesitant where they are now from $249 at sea and from $99 at port, but a dedicated spot just for us to enjoy peace and quiet in the sun or shade for the day sounds like bliss. Do you still get a breeze while at sea? Can you move your chair(s) onto the lawn i.e. if one of us wants the shade and the other sun? Thanks in advance for anything you can share.

You may not put the chairs on the lawn. You can sit on the lawn on a towel, but no furniture on the lawn.

Yes you'll feel a breeze while at sea. Aside from the issue of whether the chairs are allowed on the lawn or not, keep in mind that the chairs in the alcove are not typical lounge chairs like you find by the pool and on the open deck. If you're looking to sunbathe, you'd just want to spread a towel on the lawn so you can actually lie down.

Yes, they are assigned, your name will be on yours.

The only thing we didn’t enjoy was we had to put the top down due to high winds(common but not always) and so there was very little shade.

We would do it again.

The price has increased, however!

Yes, they are assigned, your name will be on yours.

The only thing we didn’t enjoy was we had to put the top down due to high winds(common but not always) and so there was very little shade.

We would do it again.

The price has increased, however!

We had an Alcove on a sea day and it was so windy we couldn’t put the canopy up. We got a refund since the whole purpose of the Alcove was shade. Winds were seriously heavy! Now we book on port days and love it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums