Disembarking in Miami - what time is safe to order a transfer to Fort Lauderdale.

kazu

Hi everyone,

I have searched and not found the answer so I hope I can impose for a question please?

Our Riviera cruise ends in Miami. We will be flying out of FLL and staying in FLL overnight so want to arrange a transfer there as there are several of us.

My question is, what time is a safe time to do this?

I know we need to be out of the rooms by 8 (I think) and everyone is off the ship by 9 (I think). I haven't been to the Port of Miami in decades so I have no idea how long customs/immigration takes, nor if we have any say as to what time we can get off.

So, what time would be ideal to arrange our transfer pick up. I was thinking 9:30 or 10:00 a.m.? If we can arrange earlier that's fine but I want to make sure that everything is "smooth sailing".

Thanks so much for your help and patience with the questions :)

Tough to give you an exact answer as this may vary quite a bit - Miami can be a real mess or very smooth. We have experienced both situations.

The disembarkation process depends on several factors such as:

What was your last port prior to Miami (i.e. US or say Mexico)

Will there be a inspection of the ship by Health Dept.

Will the ship arrive on time

How many US vs non US citizens are onboard

Generally speaking you should be OK witha 9:30 or 10 AM transfer. Not having a flight the same day gives you more flexibility.

If you are staying in FLL area I would book for 9am you usually have to call the service when you are cleared then again when you are on the pavement ;)

At least that is how it worked for us with the private driver

I agree with Paul you never know if things will go quickly or not been in both situations at POM

Tough to give you an exact answer as this may vary quite a bit - Miami can be a real mess or very smooth. We have experienced both situations.

The disembarkation process depends on several factors such as:

What was your last port prior to Miami (i.e. US or say Mexico)

Will there be a inspection of the ship by Health Dept.

Will the ship arrive on time

How many US vs non US citizens are onboard

Generally speaking you should be OK witha 9:30 or 10 AM transfer. Not having a flight the same day gives you more flexibility.

If you are staying in FLL area I would book for 9am you usually have to call the service when you are cleared then again when you are on the pavement ;)

At least that is how it worked for us with the private driver

I agree with Paul you never know if things will go quickly or not been in both situations at POM

Oh thank you so much both of you. You can always be counted on to help :)

for clarification purposes we are crossing the pond from Barcelona with our last stop being in Nassau and our stop before that Bermuda.

I don't know what the mix of passengers is on the ship, but if our roll call is any indication, there will be a few Canadians on board :)

According to Cruisett (FWIW) we are the only ship in port that day.

Our driver will be coming from FLL so he will be on the way

so, the next dumb question is - is there a way to arrange to be in the earlier groups to get off? If there is, then we could arrange for a 9 am pick up. I'm not a fan of sitting in lounges waiting - LOL.

and we don't want to do self disembarkation. just call me lazy ;)

I think we will aim for 9:30 although earlier is fine by me too.

I really, really appreciate the help and the insight. many thanks :)

Edited by kazu

so, the next dumb question is - is there a way to arrange to be in the earlier groups to get off? If there is, then we could arrange for a 9 am pick up. I'm not a fan of sitting in lounges waiting - LOL.

Yes - on the disembark questionaire just indicate the time you want to disembark - say 8:30.

Whether this will actaully happen or not depends on how quickly the ship gets cleared by immigration.

Yes - on the disembark questionaire just indicate the time you want to disembark - say 8:30.

Whether this will actaully happen or not depends on how quickly the ship gets cleared by immigration.

thanks again :)

when you get the disembarkation paper a few days prior to Miami just put down the time you want off ..no need to self disembark

You will be up at the crack of dawn to line -up to meet with the nice immigration officials in the lounge (usually) ;)

We usually go to breakfast then go to the lounge the line up is usually short by then ;)

If they are calling your name then you are late

Enjoy

Lyn

when you get the disembarkation paper a few days prior to Miami just put down the time you want off ..no need to self disembark

You will be up at the crack of dawn to line -up to meet with the nice immigration officials in the lounge (usually) ;)

We usually go to breakfast then go to the lounge the line up is usually short by then ;)

If they are calling your name then you are late

Enjoy

Lyn

ha! ha!

ahh so immigration is on board and not on the pier. thanks.!

It's been decades (and I refuse to say how many) since I docked in Miami. In FLL, we clear customs when we get off the ship and it makes for long lineups.

Thanks Lyn, that helps a lot :)

p.s. I am usually up at the crack of dawn with my three dogs so I will be o.k. DH may suffer a tad :p;)

ha! ha!

ahh so immigration is on board and not on the pier. thanks.!

Last trip into Miami we did clear on the pier that was a first for us

usually the officials come on as soon as we dock then go for coffee or something while all of us non US citizens stand in line bleary eyed wanting our coffee :eek:

Last trip into Miami we did clear on the pier that was a first for us

usually the officials come on as soon as we dock then go for coffee or something while all of us non US citizens stand in line bleary eyed wanting our coffee :eek:

The question is both clearance from customs and getting all of the luggage off the ship. They will not start until all luggage is off and moved in the customs hall. Customs cleared the ship by 7:45 on our last Miami Oceania cruise (January) but we had to wait until 0845 until all luggage was off. After that we were in our car by 0910 -- so it was pretty quick.

Edited by PaulMCO

The question is both clearance from customs and getting all of the luggage off the ship. They will not start until all luggage is off and moved in the customs hall. Customs cleared the ship by 7:45 on our last Miami Oceania cruise (January) but we had to wait until 0845 until all luggage was off. After that we were in our car by 0910 -- so it was pretty quick.

thanks - that's a help. looks like my time frame for 9:30ish should work.

Since the drive from Ft Lauderdale is about 30 minutes, why don't you call your driver once you've gotten clearance off the ship. That way neither has a lengthy wait?

They had wanted a time as the drive (according to them) is 45 minutes to an hour depending upon traffic, but I will certainly offer that to them as an alternative. thanks :)

For us Canadians & other Non US citizens we are usually invited to meet with the Officials at 7:15am (when the ship is docking at 7am) in the lounge :eek:

Nothing to do with luggage at this point in time

We have to appear in person to collect passports & hand in our customs forms

The US citizens are enjoying their breakfast then they race to the exit to line up :rolleyes:

For us Canadians & other Non US citizens we are usually invited to meet with the Officials at 7:15am (when the ship is docking at 7am) in the lounge :eek:

Nothing to do with luggage at this point in time

We have to appear in person to collect passports & hand in our customs forms

The US citizens are enjoying their breakfast then they race to the exit to line up :rolleyes:

more great information! thanks so much. At least we will know and be prepared. Totally different that Port Everglades and makes me glad I asked the question ;)

more great information! thanks so much. At least we will know and be prepared. Totally different that Port Everglades and makes me glad I asked the question ;)

So off the track a bit

how do they do it in PE

Last year we cleared in Key West ..we had to report to one of the public rooms & get our S & Sail card punched & passports stamped

Then at PE we just went through the Officials on the dock after we picked up our bags

We are sailing from PE in Nov & want to make sure we are at the airport on time ;)

Edited by LHT28

So off the track a bit

how do they do it in PE

Last year we cleared in Key West ..we had to report to one of the public rooms & get our S & Sail card punched & passports stamped

Then at PE we just went through the Officials on the dock after we picked up our bags

We are sailing from PE in Nov & want to make sure we are at the airport on time ;)

happy to return the favour. You have been so helpful to me.

For PE - you disembark the ship and then pick up luggage and go through customs. Two line ups. One for U.S. and one for non. HC get a special line up but they are served by the same customs officers. Customs has been a major issue as they had cut back on agents. It can take over an hour to get through customs there. It is supposed to be improving but I have not seen any reports yet of massive improvement at PE.

As long as your flight is noon or later, you should be fine.

Cabs are readily available, but there can be a lineup for those too, but they are relatively quick. There is also a shuttle that goes as soon as they fill it. Quick ride to the airport and NOT expensive.

FLL airport can also have slow, long lines to get through security, especially if there are several cruise ships in town and/or it is Saturday or Sunday.

While we are flying out of FLL (better flights) we are waiting until the following day to do it .

hope this helps and many thanks to you and everyone who have been so helpful to me on the boards :)

Edited by kazu

happy to return the favour. You have been so helpful to me.

For PE - you disembark the ship and then pick up luggage and go through customs. Two line ups. One for U.S. and one for non. HC get a special line up but they are served by the same customs officers. Customs has been a major issue as they had cut back on agents. It can take over an hour to get through customs there. It is supposed to be improving but I have not seen any reports yet of massive improvement at PE.

Thanks

I will just book for early disembarkation time then just to be sure

we are up anyway ;)

Yes noon flight with carry on only hope that works out :D

Thanks

I will just book for early disembarkation time then just to be sure

we are up anyway ;)

Yes noon flight with carry on only hope that works out :D

you're welcome. If you do early/self disembarkation you should be just fine.

Noon is the magic time recommended by HAL (who dock there often) and it has always worked fine for us.

With luck the immigration/customs officers will have increased making it more speedy.

you're welcome. If you do early/self disembarkation you should be just fine.

Noon is the magic time recommended by HAL (who dock there often) and it has always worked fine for us.

With luck the immigration/customs officers will have increased making it more speedy.

fingers crossed :D

Thanks again

Lyn