Excursions on Panama Canal Cruise

augiesmom

What are your interests? I will be doing this cruise, and we are taking the ferry from Gatun Lake to the end of the canal, and then a train back to Colon. There is a train tour, there is a wildlife tour, there is a museum tour. What do you want to do?

What are your interests? I will be doing this cruise, and we are taking the ferry from Gatun Lake to the end of the canal, and then a train back to Colon. There is a train tour, there is a wildlife tour, there is a museum tour. What do you want to do?

How long does this take?

It sounds terrific for those who are just doing a partial transit on the big ship.

Is it an NCL-sponsored excursion?

The one thing we hesitated about was because of the "partial" transit.

Do you go through *all* of the locks?

Thanks!

GeezerCouple

The partial transit IS an excursion in itself!!! There's really no need to get off the ship! You go thru 3 locks...and that's enough to give you an overview of how the canal works. There will be a navigator on the ship, giving running commentary for the trip into Lake Gatun. That's where those with off-ship excursion leave...meaning that those who stay on the ship have no crowds and the ship to themselves! It's really quite pleasant! You may stay in the lake for a couple hours...and then, you go back OUT of the 3 locks....and dock at the pier....where the excursion folks will rejoin the ship.

I wouldn't pay money to see more of what you're seeing from the ship's transit! All of the excursions are looooong...and it's VERY hot and humid....

And, yes...all excursions will be thru the ship.

Edited by cb at sea

How long does this take?

It sounds terrific for those who are just doing a partial transit on the big ship.

Is it an NCL-sponsored excursion?

Thanks!

GeezerCouple

The Panama Canal by Ferry excursion will take you the rest of the way through to the Pacific so you will be able to actually transit the entire Canal even though you are only a partial transit. The ship will go through Gatun Locks into the lake and then you take a tender to the shore and board the ferry for the rest of the way. Yes, you go through all the locks on the Pacific side as well as the ones you went through on the ship on the Atlantic side. I went through on Princess but it's the same excursion. A little pricey but well worth it to say you transited the entire Canal. I figured I might never get back for a full transit and the partial transit was much more affordable even combined with the ferry excursion.

Looking for recommendations on the Panama Canal excursions, which ones are worth the money, which ones are not, or just not that exciting.

thanks!

Are you on a complete transit cruise? We did this back to back and loved several of the excursions. In Cabo we did the Zodiac snorkeling. Good thing was that it went to two sites. Not only that but we got to see the Land's End sights plus whale watching to boot! On the second stop at Cabo, we walked around the port and watched the seals mooch fish and had margaritas...lots of fun on our own.

In Puerto Vallarta, we did Discover Scuba which was at the former Huston estate. I recommend any excursion that goes there. The boat ride there and back is entertaining, great meal with drinks, and lots of activities to choose from. We also did the Crocodile Safari in Costa Rica which was fantastic and a float trip in Huatuco (can't spell it!) which we enjoyed.

Have a great trip! Are you on the Star?

The partial transit IS an excursion in itself!!! There's really no need to get off the ship!

I agree. We were on a Partial Transit cruise last December over Christmas week. We stayed on the ship on that day and really enjoyed the experience. In fact, the entire cruise was fantastic.

There is a link to my wife's website below where she posts slideshows made from pictures she takes on our cruises. The Panama Canal Transit Cruise section is quite extensive with slideshows of all of our excursions as well as pictures taken of the partial transit through the canal.

Happy cruising everyone! It's a great way to travel!!!

The Panama Canal by Ferry excursion will take you the rest of the way through to the Pacific so you will be able to actually transit the entire Canal even though you are only a partial transit. The ship will go through Gatun Locks into the lake and then you take a tender to the shore and board the ferry for the rest of the way. Yes, you go through all the locks on the Pacific side as well as the ones you went through on the ship on the Atlantic side. I went through on Princess but it's the same excursion. A little pricey but well worth it to say you transited the entire Canal. I figured I might never get back for a full transit and the partial transit was much more affordable even combined with the ferry excursion.

my question about this would be what is the ferry like that takes you the rest of the way through....how big...how many people....any pictures of it.....thanks........:D

The panama canal transit is a nice itinerary especially the 11 days instead of 10 days but its on the pearl and ive already been on the pearl..i am considering maybe booking the star for a complete transit but i am looking at celebrity as well

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My understanding is that there are no private vendors for excursions leaving near the Gatun Lake, and that once in Colon, people can walk around the port, but there is not a lot of time. I apologize in advance if I am wrong. I also want to see the new locks that are being built. I think these can only be seen from the Pacific end.

Ron

Edited by rbrugler

I agree. We were on a Partial Transit cruise last December over Christmas week. We stayed on the ship on that day and really enjoyed the experience. In fact, the entire cruise was fantastic.

There is a link to my wife's website below where she posts slideshows made from pictures she takes on our cruises. The Panama Canal Transit Cruise section is quite extensive with slideshows of all of our excursions as well as pictures taken of the partial transit through the canal.

Happy cruising everyone! It's a great way to travel!!!

We are doing a partial Panama Canal in 2016 and after researching decided to stay on the ship that day also. I am beginning to research the other ports and getting ideas for excursions in Cartegena and Costa Rica. We really enjoyed the pictures of your cruise and can't wait until April 2016. Thanks

Edited by carsaw

Thanks!

In the past, the add on tour did go through all the locks. I would never consider any partial transit, even with having transited the canal several times. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

The partial transit IS an excursion in itself!!! There's really no need to get off the ship! You go thru 3 locks...and that's enough to give you an overview of how the canal works. There will be a navigator on the ship, giving running commentary for the trip into Lake Gatun. That's where those with off-ship excursion leave...meaning that those who stay on the ship have no crowds and the ship to themselves! It's really quite pleasant! You may stay in the lake for a couple hours...and then, you go back OUT of the 3 locks....and dock at the pier....where the excursion folks will rejoin the ship.

I wouldn't pay money to see more of what you're seeing from the ship's transit! All of the excursions are looooong...and it's VERY hot and humid....

And, yes...all excursions will be thru the ship.

It doesn't sound like you have even been on this tour? It is incredible to see a cruise ship in the locks, FAR more of a view being off the ship than on. You also are right on the water, and below the locks at the low point. A very worthwhile tour- for those of interest.

my question about this would be what is the ferry like that takes you the rest of the way through....how big...how many people....any pictures of it.....thanks........:D

Steve,

Don't know if you can pick up the ferry to go all the way thru if you are on the partial transit. Time constraints. But if you were able to do it you would have to use the Kerosene Canary to come back to the Atlantic side to pick up the ship again.:D

Steve,

Don't know if you can pick up the ferry to go all the way thru if you are on the partial transit. Time constraints. But if you were able to do it you would have to use the Kerosene Canary to come back to the Atlantic side to pick up the ship again.:D

I'd rather have a Root Canal with no Novocain than crawl onto the Kerosene Canary......:rolleyes::p:D

I guess there's plenty of time to figure it all out between now n'then....I really would have a hard time deciding between staying on the ship to go back thru the Gatun Locks and doing that Ferry transit anyway....:D

I'd rather have a Root Canal with no Novocain than crawl onto the Kerosene Canary......:rolleyes::p:D

I guess there's plenty of time to figure it all out between now n'then....I really would have a hard time deciding between staying on the ship to go back thru the Gatun Locks and doing that Ferry transit anyway....:D

I guess you are going to walk to Miami to catch the cruise :p

The Pearl does not embark in Maine, regardless of how much influence your better half might have.:D

We did the partial transit on another cruise line a few years back and stayed on the ship. It was very interesting even though you go in, stay for a couple of hours, and then turn around and go back out. Interesting to see the the different perspective of going in and up, and that go out and down.

We did the full transit from Los Angeles to Miami a year later and enjoyed that cruise as well.

Next month we are doing another in and out on the Pearl. We plan on going in, getting off and doing an excursion, and then picking up the ship again in Colon.

We are waiting until we know for sure that the new canal is open for the Panamax ships before we book this one. Want to see the changes and new technology for the new canal locks.

I guess you are going to walk to Miami to catch the cruise :p

no sireee......I'm gonna let Amtrack do the drivin.....8 miles closer to the ground..........:p:D

The Pearl does not embark in Maine, regardless of how much influence your better half might have.:D

we're also doing a 7 day Escape followed by a 7 day Getaway 0n March of 16 from Miami but after that it will all be back to good ole'New York....:D

Steve,

Yes, the ferry excursion is specifically for passengers on the partial transit. After the cruise ship enters Gatun Lake, tenders take you to shore and you take a bus to the dock where the ferry is. The ferry holds about 300 people (it’s not really a ferry) on two decks – they serve a lunch and there are plenty of beverages, free soda and water. Great narration, they give you certificates certifying you transited the Canal, take your picture, etc. You can actually put your hand out and touch the walls of the lock as you go through. You go through the Gaillard Cut and the Pedro Miguel and Miraflores Locks and disembark once you get out to the Pacific Ocean. We were on the ferry approx. 4-5 hours to the Pacific. It could take longer if you wait for another ship before going through the locks. Then it was about an hour and a half bus ride back to Colon (no need to get on a plane.) It was probably an 8-hour tour altogether with the bus ride back, etc. but very enjoyable to see some of Panama City and the countryside, too. We got back to Colon just as the ship was docking from its return through the Gatun Locks. It stops just long enough to pick up the excursion passengers who got off on the Lake.

At present we've got a resv. for a 10dy partial transit on Pearl in 2017.

Looking at the "ferry" tour from Gatun, it adds about $180pp so that brings the total to not a whole lot less than a 15dy full transit ! Thought about switching but when I look at the stops on the Pacific side I have to say they don't look too appealing or am I missing something ?

(Puntarenas; Corinto ; Puerto Quetzal ; Acapulco ; Cabo San Lucas; )

Regarding the ferry, I was told this was the provider: https://www.pmatours.net/pacific_queen/panama-canal-tour/

All comment/info appreciated:)

P.S Jade in December is our first on NCL so the life of this Canal reservation somewhat depends upon our experience on Jade:eek::D

Edited by pspercy