What to do on Sea Days with a one year old?

angel54321

So we just booked a 7 day cruise on the Star with our 11 yr old son, and daughter who will have just turned one a week before we cruise...

Hubby is concerned about what we can do with the baby all day?

To those who have traveled with an infant... How'd it go? Are sea days hard to keep the kiddo entertained?

Any tips/advice greatly appreciated!!!

Feed her

Have her walk and get tired

Stroll her until she falls asleep in the stroller

But by all means keep her in the fresh sea air and when she falls asleep keep her in the stroller and continue to enjoy the ship

I would also have her in a onesie type thing from 6 pm on but keep her up and active for as long as possible and then let her sleep in the stroller

I would not let her nap in the cabin nor would I be concerned about where she slept. The stroller is fine

And keep bottles at the ready

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That her to the kids activities they do painting mini disco and have different toys set out each day u will have to stay with her take her in the pool and take your pushchair

When my little girl was 1 I used to do the above take her to dinner and have a few pictures taken in her pretty dresses then return to the cabin change her into her pjs ready for bed then go back out with the stroller and when she fell asleep we could still enjoy are evening [emoji3] remember a blanket as some rooms get a little chilly just to cover her up then when u get back u just change her bum before u all go to sleep

The staff have always been fantastic with my little girl from gangway staff to restaurant/buffet staff

Have a great cruise x

That her to the kids activities they do painting mini disco and have different toys set out each day u will have to stay with her take her in the pool and take your pushchair

When my little girl was 1 I used to do the above take her to dinner and have a few pictures taken in her pretty dresses then return to the cabin change her into her pjs ready for bed then go back out with the stroller and when she fell asleep we could still enjoy are evening [emoji3] remember a blanket as some rooms get a little chilly just to cover her up then when u get back u just change her bum before u all go to sleep

The staff have always been fantastic with my little girl from gangway staff to restaurant/buffet staff

Have a great cruise x

Babies aren't allowed in any pools.

What do you do with your 1 year old at home? Well, that's what you'll do on the ship, too! I believe there is a toy exchange, so you can get new things to play with....there's always strolling about the ship...plenty of empty areas for toddling about....

Since your little one likes water, bring a blow up TUB...a couple ice buckets of water will give enough for splashing....and the tub is small enough to put by your lounger!! (Put a towel under it...the deck gets hot!)

I know this, which is annoying cuz the baby loves swimming
You could always bring one of those inflatable small baby pools and let her splash around in it. Just make sure when you empty it, you don't empty it in the pool, but in one of the drains. It could also be used to give her a bath in.

Also, if it has been like any of the cruises I've been on (NCL and other lines), she will get a lot of attention from the crew and other passengers when she is walking around.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I really hate when people suggest you leave your baby at home when you've clearly stated that you're bringing them. I think traveling with your child can be hard, but what better challenge to have. "Woah, my life is just so awful having my baby with me in the Caribbean"... said no mom ever. I'm just happy to be out of the house!

Look for the younger kid story/play times. Walk around the decks. So much for them to stare at that you probably won't even have to entertain them much. Just relax and enjoy yourself :) We got our first suite for the upcoming cruise with my (now) 15 mo old. I am excited to have a bath tub, balcony, and yes, a second bedroom that my mother will be in! Don't listen to the haters. If you don't want kids on your cruise; go to Cunard or the like.

Edited by Bluefox

I don't think that people who suggest a one year old be left with grandparents are necessarily "haters". Some grandparents do not get the chance to spend a lot of time with baby and a week with them can really strengthen that bond. Obviously, it depends on the family.

I really hate when people suggest you leave your baby at home when you've clearly stated that you're bringing them. I think traveling with your child can be hard, but what better challenge to have. "Woah, my life is just so awful having my baby with me in the Caribbean"... said no mom ever. I'm just happy to be out of the house!

Look for the younger kid story/play times. Walk around the decks. So much for them to stare at that you probably won't even have to entertain them much. Just relax and enjoy yourself :) We got our first suite for the upcoming cruise with my (now) 15 mo old. I am excited to have a bath tub, balcony, and yes, a second bedroom that my mother will be in! Don't listen to the haters. If you don't want kids on your cruise; go to Cunard or the like.

You've got the ideal setup. ! child and 1 grandmother to share the care. The OP does not have that, plus has an 11 y.o. going. He deserves HIS time too with a parent without sharing every moment revolving around the younger sibling.

WOW......kid haters - how incredibly rude of you to say that!? Not sure where this is coming from. Maybe the person who suggested leaving baby with grandparents was thinking Mom and Dad might want some time alone? SMDH........

WOW......kid haters - how incredibly rude of you to say that!? Not sure where this is coming from. Maybe the person who suggested leaving baby with grandparents was thinking Mom and Dad might want some time alone? SMDH........

Not seeing with who you quoted any rudeness or baby hating.

......hope she doesn't get sick and need a doctor..........

I hope nobody on a cruise needs a doctor, but there is one on board, as well as other assorted medical professionals who are perfectly capable of taking care of a 1 year old. What you really ought to hope for is that the 50 year old guy you're traveling with doesn't have a heart attack & needs a cardiac ICU. There isn't one of those on board.

OP, your little one will have fun at the guppies free play where you can go & do activities with her. You have good advice from others here on using the stroller. Last time I was on the Star, I saw a little one dance like crazy for about the first 30 minutes of the deck party, then crash in her stroller while mom & dad enjoyed the music.

Enjoy your cruise.

What do you do with your 1 year old at home? Well, that's what you'll do on the ship, too!

I second this. Your little one won't know she is on vacation or a ship. Certainly, your daughter will stay entertained just by being around her parents. I think it's easier to keep kids entertained on a ship, there is always something new or different to look at...and places to explore. Don't forget to bring her favorite toys and blanket. I think all major cruise lines offer cribs/pack-n-plays, but you'll need to reserve it ahead of time...or you can bring your own. However, if you bring your own, make sure it will fit in the available space.

Have a great cruise.

In looking at my old freestyle dailies, I see they had a "Baby Clown" activity for the little one, & then later in the day a splash academy circus for the older kids. I bet your little one would get a kick out of seeing big brother on stage.:)

They usually have something like that, maybe a talent show, along wit a magician , family karaoke, goofy golf & there is always the sports court.

Does anyone know if there are any water features the baby could splash in? I remember a water cannon or something like that that the little ones were running through, though I'm not sure that was on the Star.

There are plenty of kid haters on this site- so if that was taken the wrong way; sorry if you considered me rude. But the OP clearly stated that they have already booked this trip- so why do you think it's ok to then suggest they leave the baby behind? I think THAT is rude. Yes, I do have the ideal situation for this one cruise, but I am also not going to assume my Mother is the babysitter either. We actually live in different cities and this is as much her vacation as it is ours.

I am also on a thread on this same board where they suggest no kids should be allowed in specialty dining. I have also seen many post on the FAMILY board from cruisers here who suggest you leave the small ones at home; its insulting. My son is probably paying a higher fare than 95% of the ship- but he shouldn't be allowed in the same areas? If the kids are throwing a fit; I get it. But well behaving, non crying children should be left alone.

Edited by Bluefox

Bleufox - you are so right about the kid haters. Some people just don't realize that it's actually wonderful to be able to travel with your children, at any age. We don't want to leave them at home! Our almost 4 year old has spent 55 days on NCL ships so far and we don't regret a single day on any of those cruises. And that included very port intensive med and baltic sailings, as well as typical caribbean bumph.

Will he remember any of it? Well, maybe - maybe not - but the point is *I* will remember it.