Who is HAL for?

NOSaints1

What ships are the R and which ones are S, don't have a computer so it's hard to look at the site. Do you know how many sq feet they're, and do you find there's enough room?

S-class:

Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam. The Statendam and Ryndam are scheduled to leave the fleet this fall.

R-class:

Rotterdam, Volendam, Zaandam, Amsterdam.

Vista:

Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam,

Signature:

Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam.

On the S- & R-class ships the prevalent "large" inside is 186 sq. ft. I don't know the area of the huge ones.

I also don't know the area of the insides on the Vista & Signature cabins.

I have stayed in a variety of large and huge insides on all the ships, except the Nieuw Amsterdam (coming up shortly).

I find them more than adequate in terms of space and storage.

I am 35 and hubby is 34. We have been cruising on Holland America for the past three years. We are going on our third cruise this October with Holland America. We don't have any kids and we aren't big party people anymore,so we prefer the more relaxed cruising style that Holland America offers. Although there tends to be a more older crowd with Holland America, I wouldn't want anything different. We have met so many wonderful and interesting people. Our initial fear was that we would be ignored or judged because we are younger but everyone has been so kind and we fit in perfectly. Age is truly just a number. There are many things to do no matter what age you are. We cannot wait for this upcoming cruise.

Do they have like a serenity area, we don't like a lot of kids running around, while we're on vacation, a few is ok but not like going on a DCL. What ship is your favourite/ and destination of choice. Sorry I have to say this Go Jays Go! Sorry best of luck to your Red Sox

HAL doesn't need a serenity deck and for me that's a plus. [emoji41]

But, if you'd like some pampering, rent a retreat cabana... Now that is luxuriously serene!

How is the layout, front to back or is it like Carnival where the galley blocks levels, and you have to find a detour. Thanks for helping

On the smaller HAL ships (R and S class) the galley does block one level and you have to find away around. This is not the case on the larger HAL ships however.

On the smaller HAL ships (R and S class) the galley does block one level and you have to find away around.

That's on Promenade Deck. On the S-class ships you have to backtrack. On the R-class ships there's an access up/down at the blockade, both via stairs and elevator.

I am 29 and my fiance is 31. We are taking HAL for our 21 day honeymoon.

This will be my 5th cruise with HAL in 6 years. I've only strayed once to another line. I choose HAL because of the impeccable service, the atmosphere and the port intensive itineraries. Yes, the demographic skews older but I prefer it. Personally I want to relax on my vacation and not bar hop or go do belly flops into the pool. I want to have a formal sit down dinner and meet elders that have many amazing stories and wisdom to share. I tend to relate easier to the older demographic and feel less socially awkward with them vs. people my own age as well.

Many people tell me I belong on another cruise line and that I should try MSC or NCL or any of the other "younger" cruise lines while I'm still young. Frankly I like that there are few people my age on the cruise. Depending on the time of year and the itinerary you may have a dozen people around your age or none at all. When there has been people my age I have found that most, if not all, have been wonderful people who have become good friends that I talk to on a regular basis. I even went on a date once with someone I met on board! I think it would be much harder to make friends with such wonderful people on a larger ship or line that has hundreds or thousands of people my age.

In the end though, the cruise is what you make it. I've been a part of some pretty fun and crazy antics on board with people of all ages. Not everyone goes to bed at 10pm. :D

Except I do and my DW who has ptsd, anxiety, depression and a bad back and I have bipolar. The real reason why I thought HAL was for seniors was cause my DW was on it to Alaska and when we were going on the Breeze a Carnival woman said don't go in that line it's Holland America and you'll be asleep by 8 and coming off in a wheelchair

Have you ever done an OV for Alaska and your thoughts? Not sure if we'll book Alaska but if we do, wanna get an idea.

You will probably get some replies along the lines of "if you can't have a balcony, don't bother going to Alaska". I've done interior, oceanview, balcony and Neptune in Alaska. For me personally, the oceanview is the best value. I spend so little time in my cabin in Alaska, paying extra for a balcony makes no sense to me. I spend most of my waking hours on the public decks, regardless of weather and regardless of my cabin type.

An oceanview gives me a window, and that's really all I need :)

I've done 8 Alaska cruises; four were 2-week, and 4 were 1-week. The first one was in a window cabin (this was before the days of balconies); the rest have been in insides.

I liked having the window, as it was special to see the light in the sky, while it was pitch dark at water level, in the middle of the night. But for daytime, I am out on deck as much as humanly possible.

I love the fresh air, the expansive views, seeing both sides from an aft deck. I think you miss a lot viewing through a glass, or the limited views of a balcony.

I'm pretty much in line with what RuthC said. I have a tendency to combine cruises and cruise lines, and my last time in Alaska I sailed Northbound on the Radiance of the Seas, and returned on the Statendam. I had an inside on the Radiance and it was fine; I was on deck most of the time. I had an oceanview on the Statendam and enjoyed being able to see outside from my cabin but would have been perfectly happy in an inside. HAL ships are very well endowed with good places to be, sit, and sea on the outer decks, and that's where I want to be in Alaska.

One thing to keep in mind about Alaska. The days can be REALLY long and if you like to sleep late the darkness of an inside can be a blessing.

Roy

Here's the thing: if you're in an inside cabin, of course you spend most of your time on deck - that's the only way to see the scenery! Almost the same with an OV, although a peak out the window to check the weather is helpful before heading up on deck. But with a balcony/verandah - you're already outside. No need to push and shove with all the others on deck.

People (for the most part) don't choose an inside because they spend all their time on deck, but spend all their time on deck because they chose an inside ;)

Here's the thing: if you're in an inside cabin, of course you spend most of your time on deck - that's the only way to see the scenery! Almost the same with an OV, although a peak out the window to check the weather is helpful before heading up on deck. But with a balcony/verandah - you're already outside. No need to push and shove with all the others on deck.

People (for the most part) don't choose an inside because they spend all their time on deck, but spend all their time on deck because they chose an inside ;)

I've had several balconies (although not on HAL) and my general reaction after the cruise was that it added virtually nothing to my experience. The only exception has been on Celebrity where the open deck space with good views is extremely limited. On all other cruise lines, I still preferred to be on the public decks where my view was 360 dergees, not just 150 degrees or so.

With respect to Alaska, my choice would be something with a land tour, there's a lot more to Alaska than is on the coast. Looking at the round trip itineraries, I think I prefer Vancouver for a 7-day but Seattle for a 14-day.

Roy

Is it better to sail out of Vancouver or Seattle, only reason I wouldn't get a balcony is cause I'd rather use the money elsewhere

I'm partial to Vancouver because of the scenery in the Canadian Inside Passage. Departing from Seattle, once one is out of the Puget Sound, there is only ocean around for that first full sea day. Seattle departures go on the west side of Vancouver Island.

I think you would be wise to choose a lower category cabin to spend the "saved" money on shore excursions. Shorex are quite expensive but they really add to the experience of being in Alaska. We almost always choose an outside view cabin. Having a balcony is nice but it does not give you that 360 degree view that is outstanding on an Alaskan cruise.

You could always, if on an R or S class ship, book an OV cabin on the Lower Promenade deck which gives you easy access to the largest balcony on the ship. It can be a nice compromise.

I still preferred to be on the public decks where my view was 360 dergees, not just 150 degrees or so.

Roy

To each his own, but the only place with a 360° view would be the Observation deck. I prefer being able to set, view and sip an adult beverage :)

Speaking as one who actually chooses an inside, for me, you have it reversed.

Is it better to sail out of Vancouver or Seattle, only reason I wouldn't get a balcony is cause I'd rather use the money elsewhere

Obviously, if you're doing a one-way cruise, you have to sail either into, or out of, Vancouver.

For a typical 7-day round trip cruise, I find Vancouver better for the exact reasons Alberta Quilter posted. It is such a pretty ride between Vancouver Island and the mainland, which you don't get on the Seattle departures.

Now, if you can take the 14-day round trip out of Seattle, then I think it's worth giving up the Vancouver embarkation for Seattle. The ports of Anchorage, Homer, and Kodiak Island are a trade-off for the scenery, and so worth it.

Speaking as one who actually chooses an inside, for me, you have it reversed.

I know that's true for you Ruth, but you have scads of experience to make that informed choice. Most don't.

Still, don't you also choose inside in order to stretch your cruising budget just a bit?

Still, don't you also choose inside in order to stretch your cruising budget just a bit?

It's perfectly true that my money goes further in an inside than balcony cabins (sometimes outsides do cost less), however that's not the reason I choose them.

I am perfectly happy in my inside cabin.

I have loved the outsides and balcony cabins I have been in, of course. But I have no trouble going back to an inside on the next cruise. It offers me everything I need.

The fact that I then have more money for another cruise is a bonus, not a reason for the inside.

I'd say go for it. It sounds like you would enjoy a quiet environment a lot more than one with loud, overwhelming music. I went on HAL for the first time recently (review with a lot of photos below), and had a great time. I took the wife and my 3 teenage boys, and it was a nice, relaxing trip.

Take a peek at some photos, and you will also notice that this group is a lot closer-knit than some of the other boards on here. Enjoy!