Human Ashes

We are going to NZ on Radiance from Sydney, hubby wants to take his father ashes to scatter on beach in NZ where his Dad lived, does anyone know what or if there are any special things we need to do...to get them on board the ship and taking them off ship.

Was thinking just having them in suitcase to board ship, when we reach port we just put in hand luggage and carry off, then just do our thing of scattering the ashes and then it done???

Thanks

V

:confused:

I would just check with the cruise line, just to make sure there would not be any problems with taken him on-board, BUT make sure you tell them that he is just going for a cruise to a beach and not over the side of the ship!, but as you are doing it at a beach I don't think there would be any problems.

What NZ beach are you going to scatter his ash on?

We are going to NZ on Radiance from Sydney, hubby wants to take his father ashes to scatter on beach in NZ where his Dad lived, does anyone know what or if there are any special things we need to do...to get them on board the ship and taking them off ship.

Was thinking just having them in suitcase to board ship, when we reach port we just put in hand luggage and carry off, then just do our thing of scattering the ashes and then it done???

Thanks

V

I'm sorry to hear of your loss and it is lovely that your husband wants to do this for his father.

I think your idea is the best. This could be something that if you brought it to official notice, would have to be refused.:) All the best.

can give you this advise if it helps.

my wifes father and step mother lived in Sydney,later in life they were in a nursing home (a good one and well cared for) they just loved going to manly on the ferry and having some fish and chips on the tables/ benches ,then getting the ferry home to the quay.they both requested that they wanted there ashes scattered on manly beach just in front of the surf club.we went to the powers to be, and oh my goodness it was a nightmare.so we said we wouldn't do it.as each one passed on,a couple of years apart,we just took their ashes in an urn along with some lovely rose petals and stood in front of the surf club at manly emptied their ashes into the ocean said a prayer and sent them off with a nice covering of rose petals.

all done in front of other people, it was very nice and they got what they wanted.

this world now has miles to many rules and regulations,take the ashes, say nothing,and do what dear old dad wanted.

worst case would be customs may take them off you but you would be able to get them back on your return.nothing really to lose,but heaps to gain

I agree . Do not bother asking ...just do it. No one in "officialdom " will give you an answer as they will feel that any come back will be on them.We live on a popular Auckland beach and manys the time a family group will gather at the edge of the water for a small service.

We also had friends who took ashes with them on a cruise to Sydney and carried the ashes of a dear Australian friend who wished to return home.

Thanks

V

I know this is not a cruise ship but we brought our sons ashes back from london , we rang the australian embassy over there, they said it was fine, to let the airline know and to expect that the singapore customers officers may open the urn to check but they would be fine with it, so I can't see why you can't bring them onboard, we also had a letter from the funeral director to prove they were ashes

I'm sorry to hear of your loss and it is lovely that your husband wants to do this for his father.

I think your idea is the best. This could be something that if you brought it to official notice, would have to be refused.:) All the best.

having handled my mum's ashes. It comes with documentation. I'd have that in your cruise document file too

Well done and remember the good time :)

I agree --- sometimes it is much easier to seek forgiveness, rather than approval!! :)

Barry

I wouldn't be too concerned about the cruise line but I would be concerned if you haven't got clearance from NZ Biosecurity people. I would go to the NZ Bio security website and get appropriate clearances and declare the ashes with the appropriate approved documentation to Customs when leaving the port. I would hate for you to have unnecessary problems on such an important day. I would however be a little circumspect about identifying exactly where you intend scattering them. It may cause some people not involved a degree of angst and that should be avoided where possible

I wouldn't be too concerned about the cruise line but I would be concerned if you haven't got clearance from NZ Biosecurity people. I would go to the NZ Bio security website and get appropriate clearances and declare the ashes with the appropriate approved documentation to Customs when leaving the port. I would hate for you to have unnecessary problems on such an important day. I would however be a little circumspect about identifying exactly where you intend scattering them. It may cause some people not involved a degree of angst and that should be avoided where possible

maybe?

Edited by bubbles2014

• 2 weeks later...