What Makes Princess Special?

SteelMagnolia9

I am relatively new to Princess and have been on one cruise.

For those who have sailed Princess frequently, what makes Princess "special" or unique to you over other cruise lines? And why do you continue to cruise with Princess and not with other cruiselines? What brings you back again and again? Why would you recommend Princess?

Enquiring minds want to know...

1st cruise was an Alaskan, lucky to be right the first time. Ever since always kept an open mind, but everytime for Alaska find they have all the options I'm interested from ports, schedule, cabin offerings and price/value, so each time do Alaska. Done Alaska 3 times and can't find much to fault with the cruise, ship, amenities, food, etc. for the $.

Did Disney once, wonderful ship back than, wonderful crew, beautiful experience between the Islands and shipboard experience. I'd pay the eyepopping premium each time, if they had ships doing the ports and schedule I want, they simply don't. How often do I want to sail Tracy Arm with huge mark up, or their limited European and Caribbean schedule, thus likely may never sail again till I have grandchildren.

Carnival, did it once, fun, but sorry I don't need "fun" in my face even for cheap. I'm looking for something more balanced.

RCL, NCL, etc. etc. each time I look either the port lineup or price premium or discount isn't there or too much for me want to spend for more/less, or simply know each time what I want from Princess.

Princess is Goldilocks line for us.. always priced right, happy with the value, and always seems to offering the right product in the sailing area we are interested. Don't feel to need to spend more, nor willing to compromise to spend less on that "fun" ship. THe onboard crowd seems to be a good fit for me as well.

Did you buy it, or did Carol? :D

Jimmy- I bought it as I didn't want Carol to see it. My cruising time is precious so I wear my soiled clothes while I shower. I use Tide Pods-they not only get my whites "Snow-White-clean" but leave my hair soft and manageable. If we had booked a suite I could have had free laundry-you live and learn.

Carol must never know this.

This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds....

Norris

Food items at the IC are free but coffee drinks cost extra. The coffee card ($33.35) gives you 15 specialty coffee drinks & unlimited brewed coffee during the cruise where it was purchased. On the Regal (and Royal) you can use a card punch at Gelato's instead of paying $3.50 for an ice cream sundae, waffle cone, scoops of ice cream & on most sea day afternoons freshly made crepes.

Alfredo's Pizzeria offers an expanded menu (appetizers, salads, pastas, pizzas & desserts) & is free

This links shows menus although some items in the MDR menu have changed but it still gives an idea of what is available:

http://www.beyondships2.com/royal-princess-menus.html

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Instead of repeating many of the comments, that we totally agree with, I think the OP should know something.

Their one cruise on Princess was on the Pacific Princess, one of the two "small ships" that Princess has. Having been on one myself, I can say that it is a different experience from the larger ships. I loved it but it is definitely different in many ways.

So, in the end it is itineraries and general atmosphere and quality for the price that keeps me coming back as well as the great service.

Edited by Matcodixon

My DW and I have gained ‘Elite’ on Princess and Diamond on RCCL. Princess provides any time dining which we like and we prefer large tables because of the travelers we meet. We like long cruises and since Princess has launder mats on many decks my wife does some of our laundry on sea days. Dress attire is always sent out. We like the beverage package not just for the alcohol but the coffees and bottled water. Also, we have Carnival stock and receiving cabin credit and our TA is also generous with additional cabin credit, plus what Princess includes.

The entertainment on Princess is mostly very good and we enjoy the shows and the deck activities are also enjoyable. We have been able to attend the ‘Chef’s Table’ which is a culinary experience not to be forgotten and to us well worth the additional expense.

Yes, there have been some issues but each one has been address satisfactorily on the ship or post cruise. We always send two letters to Princess. One about the crew almost always praises. And one about the non crew issues on board. We have either received a letter or a call from an assistant to apologize or provide an alternate solution. We have never been disappointed with their solutions.

Princess also has more long cruises (30 + days) than some of the other lines which we enjoy, since where we live in the Midwest air travel in not inexpensive to a major airport. So to get the best bang for the buck we look for the longest cruises. Being retired is also a benefit and getting away from the cold is not a bad idea:).

Princess has always been good to us.

John

Yes, not everyone will have the same opinions which is understandable to me.

However opinions full of hyperbole such as coffee that tastes like road tar or photographers sticking cameras in my face makes it impossible for me to consider them as credible. If anything there are less attempts to take photos now than when they'd do things such as being at the MDR's entrance dressed in theme clothing. A simple "no thank you" is all it takes & I've never had any road tar tasting coffee although some of the Navy's coffee was like motor oil. :p

C'mon, one has to admit that the 'syrup-based' complimentary coffee that they dish out is a far far cry from a decent 'Cup-of-Joe'.

On formal nights, I get it...But on regular nights, I've never liked having my dinner in the MDR interrupted by un-solicited photo ops, or being offered to buy speciality shots of liquor, or sign-ups for future wine tastings etc. etc. etc.

I understand that all mainstream cruise lines nickle-and-dime & upsell a lot more these days as part of their business model, and so I just chalk it up as one of the hidden costs of cruising mainstream lines. I'm sure there was once a time when this wasn't as much of an occurrence on Princess, but then cruise fares were also likely higher as well.

That stated, many of the posters in this thread have accurately provided plenty of positives about sailing w/ Princess.

Edited by Skai

C'mon, one has to admit that the 'syrup-based' complimentary coffee that they dish out is a far far cry from a decent 'Cup-of-Joe'.

Some are okay with coffee made from concentrate & others are not...it's very subjective and impossible to have one answer that everyone agrees upon.

But a description of road tar tasting coffee is a farce & is why their opinion lacked credibility to me...particularly from someone who rarely sails Princess with their most recent one being 3 years ago. I much preferred the Seattle's Best free coffee on RCI however that was the only thing that I liked better than on Princess.

I have posted many times on other threads that I believe Princess should replace all of their coffee from concentrate machines with those on Royal-class ships. Those German-made WMF coffee machines use ground coffee to make filtered coffee. My tastebuds much preferred that coffee & I've read posts from those who agree with me.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Oh, looks like I have to rethink my list of what I like about Princess.

I agree with the photographers part-on my last cruise on the Ruby I was in the shower at 5 a.m when the curtain suddenly opened and there was a ship's photographer with a Cruise Staff member in a dolphin costume- "mind if we just get a picture?". It was a good shot so I bought it.

I could have said "no thanks" and continued with my sudsing.

Norris

Gosh, I hope I don't get caught like that in the shower! Wouldn't object to sharing the hot tub or an accessible pool with a friendly dolphin-that would be SOME souvenir photo! The friend who's also on the cruise has just fallen off his seat laughing at the mental picture you created for him. I've also got the giggles, must plead guilty to wishing I'd been a fly on the wall to see your startled face!