Questions about HAL Transfer from Amsterdam to the Ijmuiden Port

Boiler Cruiser

Hey, Boiler Cruiser - I've been going over all the roll calls and forums, and saw the link to your post about transfers from Ijmuiden - you said you were on the Prinsendam in July? We're on the Prinsendam starting June 2nd - on the 34 day North Baltic, so I'm sure we'll meet in July. We also live in North Carolina - Creedmoor - outside of Durham - where do y'all live?

"Sam" - retiredoncologyRN

Sam...

I'm glad that you reached out! You should join us on the Roll Call for the July 20 departure. There are already several of us there.

We live outside of Raleigh, and my wife's cousin lives in Durham.

Join us on the July 20 Roll Call and let's stay in touch!

Gordon

• 2 months later...

I phoned Holland to get information about their transfer from Amsterdam. Has anyone else made any other shared private arrangements to get to the Prisendam port? I just booked this cruise on 3/29. Anyone doing meet and greet, or have sightseeing plans at the port stops?

Gail

The HAL transfer from central Amsterdam to the port is the only viable option. Make your reservations.

I researched this extensively last year, there is no public transportation and this port is in the boonies. It is about 45-55 minutes from central Amsterdam by bus.

There used to be a ferry but it hasn't operated in several years. There is no train like the one in Rome to Civitivecchia. There is a circuitous bus route that involves at least one transfer and you are dropped off in the town, not at the port.

We couldn't find a private transfer company to take us.

We met a couple who had not made prior arrangements and they had to pay a couple hundred Euro to a cabbie to entice him to take them.

Last year there were issues with who can ride the transfer bus, initially it was limited to those staying in a HAL arranged hotel. Then they opened it up to more people but capacity was still limited.

There is a separate transfer operating from the airport.

I phoned Holland to get information about their transfer from Amsterdam. Has anyone else made any other shared private arrangements to get to the Prisendam port? I just booked this cruise on 3/29. Anyone doing meet and greet, or have sightseeing plans at the port stops?

Gail

Gail, I'm not on your cruise but two years ago I researched private transfers to the port and did not find anyone willing to do it. Most of the companies I wrote to ignored my inquiry.

You should post your questions on the roll call for your cruise.

Enjoy your trip!

Actually, there is a direct bus (No. 82) from Amsterdam Sloterdijk station to Ijmuiden. The stop Ijmuiden Badweg is virtually next to the cruise terminal. One way costs €6.--

We planned on taking that one, it runs every 15 min. or so.

However, they only start going as far as the beach in Ijmuiden from 10 AM, which on the way home is too late for us to catch our train on the way home.

So I looked for other options and found Taxi Marcus, to serve the Ijmuiden area, when I asked them for a transfer from the port to Amsterdam Sloterdijk station for 6, they quoted €85, which I find very reasonable, so we decided to use them also for the transfer on June 1 from the train station to the Hotel in Ijmuiden and from the hotel to the cruise terminal on embarkation day.

While it is only a couple 100 m to walk from the hotel to the cruise terminal, it's more comfortable that way with our luggage. And since we booked both long ways with them, Taxi Marcus only wants €12.50 for this short trip, which is a great price for 6 in my opinion.

The first bus actually leaves from Ijmuiden Badweg at 9:37, arriving at Amsterdam Sloterdijk at 9:44.

I made a mistake there when I looked up the bus schedule, that first bus leaving from Ijmuiden Badweg at 9:37 only arrives at Sloterdijk at 10:14. As our train leaves at 10:20, that cuts it a bit close.

But if you are not in a hurry, that transfer should be fine.

Hmm, I don't understand the problem. We are arriving at Schiphol on June 15 for the June 16 cruise on Prinsendam. We are staying at the Holiday Inn in Ijmuiden. (We've been to Amsterdam several times and didn't want to spend any pre-cruise time there.) There are airport transfer services that you can book online from Schiphol to IJmuiden - one I just looked at is 56 euros. I have not booked this yet. We do not want to try the train/bus route since we will be tired after the flight and just want to get to the hotel as easily as possible.

Am I missing something???

The first bus actually leaves from Ijmuiden Badweg at 9:37, arriving at Amsterdam Sloterdijk at 9:44.

Not exactly. Driving time in normal traffic in a car, and thus no busstops, is at least 30 minutes. So arrival at sloterdijk will be after 10:10.

Update:

I just checked the bus schedule. First bus leaves badweg IJmuiden at 09:27, after about 30 stops it reaches Sloterdijk train station at 10:16. This is an example of 6th June:

http://www.connexxion.nl/dienstregeling/lijn?ID=N082&Richting=1&Datum=06062016&Tijd=0937

Edited by jakkojakko
update

Hmm, I don't understand the problem. We are arriving at Schiphol on June 15 for the June 16 cruise on Prinsendam. We are staying at the Holiday Inn in Ijmuiden. (We've been to Amsterdam several times and didn't want to spend any pre-cruise time there.) There are airport transfer services that you can book online from Schiphol to IJmuiden - one I just looked at is 56 euros. I have not booked this yet. We do not want to try the train/bus route since we will be tired after the flight and just want to get to the hotel as easily as possible.

The issue is getting from central Amsterdam to the remote cruise port.

The issue is getting from central Amsterdam to the remote cruise port.

So I plugged in "Amsterdam City Center" as the pick-up and IJmuiden as the drop off in the same online site, and it came up as 55 euros for a 4-passenger van plus other options.

Google "transfer schiphol ijmuiden".

We took the train and then bus 82 two years ago from the Amsterdam Airport. If you do this on a Sunday, be aware there are fewer busses. We waited a very long time, but one eventually came. It was frustrating when we finally got to the port because of the stairs, but we managed. After checking in, they shuttle you by bus to the ship. Embarkation in Amsterdam is so much nicer.

We normally do not take the ship's tours, but when disembarking we had a late flight. The windmill tour HAL offered was wonderful. It was a great ending to the trip.

Enjoyed the chatter about NC. We sailed with you Sam last fall on the Maasdam. Go Heels:)

Take the train from central to the airport and then the booked shuttle. Maybe you can arrange the shuttle to pick you up at the hotel.

While that works, it a little frustrating to spend 1 &1/2 hours and almost $100 (transfer+tip+train) to get to a port in the middle of nowhere versus just walking or taking a tram like you can in Amsterdam. I think this was an experiment by HAL to save the time and money sailing to Amsterdam. Since the P'dam is back docking in Amsterdam in 2017, hopefully it won't be an issue going forward.

I attempted a search but had difficult finding these web sites. Granted, my computer skills are quite limited. If you could please provide more specifics, thanks.

Gail

If I remember well HAL offered a shuttle from either the Renissance or the Victoria Hotel to Ijmuiden. I donot know the costs. Check again with Hal.

I attempted a search but had difficult finding these web sites. Granted, my computer skills are quite limited. If you could please provide more specifics, thanks.

Gail

DH and I signed up for transportation with HAL on the day of the cruise. It leaves from the airport and the cost is reasonable. I looked for the cost but cannot locate it, much cheaper than what is being quoted here.

Gail

I'm not sure whether I can direct you to a specific web site by the rules of CC. If you do a search on "airports taxi transfers" it should be the first result. You have to select the country, city, etc. since they operate in a number of places.

If you still have trouble, email me at yagafrp at gmail dot com. (That's not my normal email, but I will check it for the next few days.)

[beginQUOTE=SurfnSail;49595634]I phoned Holland to get information about their transfer from Amsterdam. Has anyone else made any other shared private arrangements to get to the Prisendam port? I just booked this cruise on 3/29. Anyone doing meet and greet, or have sightseeing plans at the port stops?

Gail[/endQUOTE]

===

HAL offers shuttle transportation from Victoria Plaza Hotel (maybe in the Plaza across the street from the hotel) in Amsterdam to Ijmuiden port. The cost is $44 per person and I believe you have to book through your TA. We have a reservation for this transport on Aug 23, 2016 through our TA.

Ok ,now I am nervous. We are booked on the Koningsdam in September and are staying at Best Western Dam Square. I wasn't aware that port transfers were that difficult, just planned to call a cab. We did book a transfer to the airport at the end of the cruise.

Should I contact HAL ?

Ok ,now I am nervous. We are booked on the Koningsdam in September and are staying at Best Western Dam Square. I wasn't aware that port transfers were that difficult, just planned to call a cab. We did book a transfer to the airport at the end of the cruise.

Should I contact HAL ?

The Koningsdam can't possibly be docked out in the boonies in Ijmuiden. It will be in the city of Amsterdam, so transferring to the airport is relatively easy.

Edited by RuthC

Should I contact HAL ?

Koningsdam will dock at the regular cruiseterminal in Amsterdam.