TA and cabin change

Cheffiecruiser

So, booked a W guarantee, not thrilled with my cabin, so first question, i am assuming if it is possible to change to a different suite, that i would have to go through the TA I booked with? Secondly, is there anyway for me to see if anything else is available, and if so, how would I access it?

Since you booked thru a TA you would have to contact them to try for a change.

With a guarantee, you are saying you will accept any cabin in the category you book or any higher category. If there are other cabins available in the category you were assigned you may be able to switch. It may depend on the cruise line. Each can set their own rules.

For most lines, you can look on their website to see what is still available.

To support what paul929207 said - which is quite accurate - our TA has visibility to other available staterooms within the category and has changed our "W" stateroom after it has been assigned for us on more than one occasion.

You can also see available staterooms on line by doing a mock booking and the cruise line representatives can also confirm availability for you to transact through your TA. And yes any reservation booked through a TA remains as their booking and any modifications to it have to be made by them.

Just as a side note, there are some TA's that will charge a fee (separate from those that may be charged by the cruise lines) for originating, modifying, changing, or cancelling a booking and IMO they should be avoided as there are many TA's who do not. It's nice to have the flexibility with a reservation when changes may need to be made without incurring additional unnecessary fees.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

There are some internet sites that provide visibility to what's open but since they are not TA sites than we can't list them here.

A guarantee room has risks and one of them is that it is possible that you won't get your assignment until the day you board or a few days before and by then there will be no room to move to.

If you want to know for sure than have your TA find you a room that is not a guarantee.

Yes when you book with a TA only they can go directly to the cruise line with respect to your booking on something like this item.

Keith

This is why we would never book a guarantee.

We prefer to book earlier enough that we choose the cabin we want.

I can't disagree with that as we typically don't book guarantees. It should also be noted that guarantees are not offered with every ship or itinerary. But there are occasions - often if we are choosing to upgrade - where it makes a lot of sense financially. And in the case of a "W" - which with RCI is a baseline Junior Suite and higher - there really is no bad location.

To the OP's question, there are options for flexibility on changing locations through a TA if other locations are available when assigned in advance. And while it certainly is possible that the assignment could be last minute, this typically is not the case.

But to your point, with a stateroom guarantee there is no guarantee you can change the location once assigned. So if a specific location is preferred, that would not be the best booking option.

Honestly,we didn't know we WERE booking a guarantee, until we had booked and paid in full. Didn't do my homework well

Surprised if you were booking through a TA that they didn't explain that to you. Especially since it also is not a certainty what final stateroom category you could be assigned.

We had told her we wanted a suite. I guess it was a Suite guarantee

Yes - as mentioned in a previous post "W" is a suite guarantee, which with RCI as example means Junior Suite and higher. It usually is a very good opportunity to possibly be assigned a higher category suite at the same rate while being assured of at least a Junior Suite as that is the base line. And as also mentioned any suite is usually a good location. I would assume that to be similar with Celebrity, but probably starting with the Sky Suite as the base line.

So wanting to change it can be done through your TA if other locations are available - and your TA can determine that. And as it appears as though you are not sailing until November, you have plenty of time to work that out.

But what they apparently did was assure you a good value with a possible opportunity for a higher category. Just surprised they didn't make you more aware of what they were booking for you.