Just so you know

Jeffrey1950

A couple of weeks ago there was a mention of the emails that Carnival sent out regarding the Splendor and saying do not check in before 1PM.on August 29th. Myself and some others said that they would be going their usual time however, some posters said they would do exactly what they were told that in the past they had received these emails and sure enough they had a long wait being as work was being done on the ship. Well, those of you who doubt these emails I would like you to know my experience on August 29th. I chose to ignore the email and left home as usual early. Now bearing in mind I was told not to show up until 1pm. When I got there early and checked in I was put into Zone 3 there were hundreds of people already there and I was on the ship at 12:20 pm Give you one guess what I will continue to do in the future.

Another mention I would like to make are some passengers who have balconies if you slam the balcony door WHY??? Have you ever thought about how annoying it is to other passengers, is it laziness, inconsideration or just out right rude. It is very annoying and people who have balconies have paid a lot for their fare more so someone like me that is a solo traveler which means I pay double the fare. Next time you are about to slam the door think about you co passengers, be nice !!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this I was going to mention the coffee but you probably already know about that. I am sure if any of you were on this particular cruise you will agree there was plenty to tell people back home about after all we had the tail end of the hurricane then another storm, then

after leaving Freeport three hours into sailing having to return so that a sick passenger could be taken to hospital and what about when it was announced that they saw something floating in the water and would have to investigate to see if it were a body and then the raft that was floating...it certainly was a trip to remember for more reasons than one. Here's to the next one !!!

Edited by Jeffrey1950

A couple of weeks ago there was a mention of the emails that Carnival sent out regarding the Splendor and saying do not check in before 1PM.on August 29th. Myself and some others said that they would be going their usual time however, some posters said they would do exactly what they were told that in the past they had received these emails and sure enough they had a long wait being as work was being done on the ship. Well, those of you who doubt these emails I would like you to know my experience on August 29th. I chose to ignore the email and left home as usual early. Now bearing in mind I was told not to show up until 1pm. When I got there early and checked in I was put into Zone 3 there were hundreds of people already there and I was on the ship at 12:20 pm Give you one guess what I will continue to do in the future.

Another mention I would like to make are some passengers who have balconies if you slam the balcony door WHY??? Have you ever thought about how annoying it is to other passengers, is it laziness, inconsideration or just out right rude. It is very annoying and people who have balconies have paid a lot for their fare more so someone like me that is a solo traveler which means I pay double the fare. Next time you are about to slam the door think about you co passengers, be nice !!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this I was going to mention the coffee but you probably already know about that. I am sure if any of you were on this particular cruise you will agree there was plenty to tell people back home about after all we had the tail end of the hurricane then another storm, then

after leaving Freeport three hours into sailing having to return so that a sick passenger could be taken to hospital and what about when it was announced that they saw something floating in the water and would have to investigate to see if it were a body and then the raft that was floating...it certainly was a trip to remember for more reasons than one. Here's to the next one !!!

Slamming of the balcony doors has always been a pet peeve of mine as well. I'm wondering if they slam their front door at home. I don't get it.

The amazing thing is the cabin on one side the occupant's were out on their balcony and they were talking rather loud and I head one of them say how annoying it is that people slam their doors ( referring to the people of the other side of me) well, low and behold by the end of the cruise they were also slamming their door so in the end I was getting from both sides... how rude the day may come when they slam their door and it slams on their fingers. On a lighter note I must say the food and service was excellent but having been on the Splendor a couple of times it time to try another ship. The Vista sounds rather nice.

Edited by Jeffrey1950

We never listen to there emails and your right about balcony door slamming that is why we go with an inside room for the most part.

Like I said perhaps the day will come when it slams on their fingers and that will no doubt change things. Like I said I have to pay double the fare as a solo traveler and it is very annoying and yet I cannot imagine not having a balcony. I cannot see me changing from something I like because some fool has no common sense. Yes, I know it is a case of grin and bare it then. Sad but true.

Speaking of doors, how about we all try and not let our doors not slam, not matter what category they may be. Also, (here's my gripe) if you want to have a conversation, go stand in a public area, not in the hallway. There's nothing like trying to go to sleep when people are having loud conversations right outside your door. Doesn't matter if it's early or late, if they are drunk or sober. Remember, we are all keeping different hours. Heck, there might even be a parent in there trying to keep a baby sleeping who will keep the rest of the floor asleep.

(Thanks for letting me gripe!)

I also do not like door slamming. My boys can't seem to figure this one out at home either. I think it get's worse with an open window.

Slamming of the balcony doors has always been a pet peeve of mine as well. I'm wondering if they slam their front door at home. I don't get it.

I would guess most people don't have the same type of door at home. My front door doesn't shut unless I pull it shut. Balcony doors on the ships will slam if you just let them go, no pushing required.

I refused a free upgrade from an OV to a balcony on Carnival for that very reason. I will not sail in a balcony on a Carnival ship anymore that doesn't have sliding glass doors. Not worth the aggravation to me.

I have wondered why they don't put sliding doors on the balconies and doors on the showers instead of those awful curtains. We all know what its like to get attacked by the shower curtain sticking to you while you are trying to take a shower. Not to mention it would keep the water off the floor. Slamming the cabin door is also a problem.

I have never intentionally slammed the balcony door, nor do I usually let it slam itself.

But twice my husband has opened the cabin door at the same time I've opened the balcony door, and the resulting wind tunnel could cut your head off. There really isn't an option but to jump out of the way and let it slam. It's kinda terrifying.

Thanks for this post. Oct 3 will be our first sailing with a balcony cabin. I am glad to know that the door slams if not closed by hand and that is annoying to other passengers. I will take care to close it properly. Sometimes people are just oblivious to things like this if not pointed out.

We never listen to there emails and your right about balcony door slamming that is why we go with an inside room for the most part.

Many passengers don't have any idea what a self-closer does...ie: how many passengers actually prop the door open disregarding the note on the door and interrupting the sweet flow of conditioned air for everyone around them. That being said I must be oblivious to the "slam" because I'm never conscious of hearing it.

Regarding the OPs other point about "boarding time". I, personally, don't think it is far fetched to think that at some point Carnival, like other cruise lines, will reserve boarding times just like they do dining times. Many ports are a circus at embarkation and it would be nice to make the whole process a lot less hectic by not having the monstrous line-up at the curb that now exists where disembarkation and embarkation over-lap. Unless someone has priority boarding and can get to their rooms immediately upon boarding the resulting havoc of "luggage" taking up every table at the buffet just isn't worth it for us.

I think "seasoned" passengers should be happy that the "email" actually keeps many first time or novice cruisers from adding to the early day stress at the ports. Why not keep the fact that some of the emails are bogus to oneself so that the crowd doesn't over-power the available space and service.

Regarding the slamming balcony doors. Yes, at certain times, it can be annoying. Perhaps some type of door closer that would control how quickly or slowly the door closes would be a benefit. I don't believe people intentionally let their doors slam shut. I suspect the cause is one of three reasons. #1. It's someone first time to have a balcony cabin, and they don't realize (at first) how quickly and forcefully the balcony door shuts, or how annoying it can be to others. #2. It's kids going in and out, and they don't care, or give it a second thought. Maybe, if a parent opens and closes the door for them, it would prevent the door from slamming. #3. If someone has their hands full, carrying a book, a beverage and a snack ( or other items), it's difficult to keep the door from slamming shut, especially when going out onto the balcony. If I'm not mistaken, there is a small sign by the door stating that caution should be used when opening and closing the balcony door. I don't remember the exact wording. It doesn't matter. The sign could be 4 feet high by 4 feet wide in bright neon letters and some people would still ignore it. Unless and until Carnival (and all other cruise lines) address the issue, it will never change.

Ahhhhhh.... door slamming. I hate it.. Most people don't even realize they are doing it. I live in an apartment, door slamming & other sources of noise when living in close quarters is more prominent & makes people 'More Aware' that are being affected.. I'm not saying that people that live in houses are unaware or oblivious to close quarter living, I'm just trying to make some sort of comparison to make a point that MANY people are just unaware how they are when it comes to slamming a door shut instead of closing it gently.

Apartment examples: My neighbors that lives above me, well when they drop their toilet seat down, it's a loud bang on my ceiling. When they unload or load their dishwasher, it sounds as if they are bowling above me. I can go on & on... But the bottom line is, people are just unaware how loud or aggressive their everyday day actions are until they are living in tight quarters..

:)

techinically they are not slamming the doors, but rather they are not preventing the door from slamming. I think Carnival should install the little device on the doors that allows the door to close gradually.

I think so too. The door closes fast and super easy. My sister had a balcony on our recent trip (as she usually does) and all if us were very conscious of not slamming the door. It happened anyway a few times just because of the mechanism on the door. I understand it is annoying. She heard a slam or two from neighbors herself. But I have a hard time believing people really think it's being done on purpose.

It would be worth the investment to have the problem fixed so it closes gradually.

Just off the Sunshine and at least on deck 11, where we were, there were sliding doors - awesome! Now they still could make some noise if they were closed with enough force, but definitely a huge improvement over the other doors. Hope they start transitioning over to these type doors with new builds and remodels.

techinically they are not slamming the doors, but rather they are not preventing the door from slamming. I think Carnival should install the little device on the doors that allows the door to close gradually.

I had a cabin on Legend that did have a mechanism that made the door close slowly. It was great! It was one of the handicap cabins with the 3 cabins long balconies.

And stop stopping in dumb places to have conversations like right outside the sliding doors to the Lido. Really??

Allow those on the elevator to get off before rushing in. What happened to common sense and manners?

I refused a free upgrade from an OV to a balcony on Carnival for that very reason. I will not sail in a balcony on a Carnival ship anymore that doesn't have sliding glass doors. Not worth the aggravation to me.

I'd never have an ocean view cabin or an inside cabin ever again. I've passed up so called "upgrades" to another balcony. Not worth the aggravation to me to look out of a salt water stained window, or an inside cabin with no window at all. There's other things that are far more aggravating than a slamming door. Watching people lick their fingers to me is more aggravating. :rolleyes:

Slow weighted closers, like those on many air lock entries into dept. stores or those used at many retail outlets are made to "self" close and are weighted (for want of another word) to ensure that someone passing through the door does not use manual force to try and close the door. The ones on Carnival are as assist mechanism that ensures the door is easily manually closed due to pressure changes between the interior and exterior. Big difference, actually.