Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

We will not be traveling to San Juan. Guests will be sent home via St Thomas airport.

What a bummer but it does look like Carnival has handled the situation very well thus far and I figure they will continue to do so. Thanks for keeping us updated with the facts to the best of you ability!!

Edited by Ruby0704

We will not be traveling to San Juan. Guests will be sent home via St Thomas airport.

I am sorry, Pauley, for you and all the other passengers planning on going to San Juan!

It's possible with this news, too, the next Cruise maybe affected!

Please keep us posted on how it goes for you until you can get back home!

Again, so sorry to hear this!

Too bad they are not giving you the option of riding it out in St. Thomas until Sunday and then going home from there.

It's possible that it can take a couple of days to fly everyone home! I believe the Dream was a few days in St. Maarten when they had to fly passengers home a few years ago.

Bad situation for everyone including Carnival!

We are still in St Thomas. There has been no updates.

Pauley,

You're post here has been clicked on over 120,000 times, thousands of people are interested in the 1st hand accounts you are providing! You have been outstanding, and so level headed.

Don't stop updating us until your home!!! LOL!! And even then, in the future, you're gonna have to update all of us here where your next sailing destination will be, using the 50% off next cruise..

No matter how big or small the update, keep them coming!!!

Thank you!

:):):):)

I wish they would let us passengers on the next cruise leaving on the 13th if we are cruising or not so i can make other plans

If I were you, I'd start making other plans...ones that could be cancelled but I'd still check into it.

We're scheduled for the 9/20 sailing and we're already making reservations to stay in Puerto Rico for the week, just in case...

It's possible that it can take a couple of days to fly everyone home! I believe the Dream was a few days in St. Maarten when they had to fly passengers home a few years ago.

Bad situation for everyone including Carnival.

Didn't a NCL ship pick up Dream Passenger's that had a fear of flying.

Yes, they did! :)

And still no word from CCL on changes/ cancellations of the upcoming sailings, am I right?

Nope. I wouldn't expect anything on future cruises before tomorrow. I'm sure all their big guns are headed to St Thomas to do the repairs and hopefully no future cruises will be affected.

Nope. I wouldn't expect anything on future cruises before tomorrow. I'm sure all their big guns are headed to St Thomas to do the repairs and hopefully no future cruises will be affected.

Thanks, I'm being a bit apprehensive, as I sail on 10/11 and would not like my sailing, or any upcoming sailing, being cancelled. But safety of people and property are of utmost importance in this cases, so let's see how it all develops!

Those of us on Cruise Critic are probably the unpaid travel arrangers for their family and friends. I know my spouse tells me to just let her know the dates and what kind of clothes to pack, and I'm in charge of everything else.

For a moment, imagine your great aunt Zelda, for whom you set up this cruise on Liberty. Let's say aunt Zelda is cruising with a companion who is equally information-free. Now their cruise is being changed - a lot - and they literally don't know what to do with themselves.

If it were you or I, we would already know a bunch of things that we thought about doing in San Juan, but couldn't schedule time for, so we might be saying to ourselves that we might finally get on the bio-luminescence kayak tour, or we might have time to tour the jungle, or see an interesting museum in San Juan. Aunt Zelda did not consider a bunch of alternatives, and is now at loose ends about what in heavens they will do to amuse themselves for the rest of the cruise.

Some of the people in line at Guest Relations are somebody's aunt Zelda, and it will take some time for them to adjust to the new reality.

I know lots of us with more knowledge and experience are in a better position to roll with the changes, but i'm guessing that not everyone in line is a jerk. Some are just befuddled cruisers, feeling lost and needing both information and reassurance.

Airfare reimbursement for whom? You can fly home in 4 more days from San Juan or Carnival will arrange to fly you home from St Thomas (or so it sounds). Who else needs to be reimbursed?

If these people really want to take this cruise to see these islands, they can use their 100% refund to re-book it for a later time. Then they can use the 50% discount to cover their airfare to get back to San Juan. ( I think that's the airfare issue that this poster is trying to raise.). I think the only compensation they are getting for the inconvenience/disappointment of not getting the vacation they expected is the $150 OBC. That's fine but it's not really like they hit the lottery.

Thank you, OP, for the outstanding diligence to update this community. Thank goodness no one was hurt, and thank goodness the ship didn't sail to San Juan and get stranded out at sea or have another fire!! It does sound like Carnival was fair in its compensation. Safe travels home, and cheers to your next cruise being wayyyyy less eventful!

Wow, this is quite a story! Best wishes to all involved. Liberty was my second CCL cruise and I have fond memories of my first "big ship" sailing.

Yes, if it's the same incident I'm remembering it was Norwegian Sun.

My husband has a zippered pocket in his swim wear and I usually wear one of those waterproof ID holders around my neck with a couple of bucks, driver's license, sign & sail card and a credit card...none of which will get damaged even if the case doesn't work and they get wet.

Here'a a link to the case, if it helps http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DKNB6UC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00LGBJ09E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0S0446C5X2A8PXXDEKTD

Thanks sharp!

pauleydm, I have no idea what you do for a living, but this has been one of the best jobs of reporting live about an incident I have read is several years. No speculation, no if on the one hand this, if on the other hand that. You reported what you knew. You were concise and chose words to tell exactly what you knew and did not elaborate on that.

I congratulate you for doing such a fine job. In my opinion Carnival needs to offer you a good job in PR.

Doc

Agreed! Thanks Pauley

From a post on John Heald's page

CARNIVAL LIBERTY STATEMENT...

September 8, 2015 – 11.30 PM EDT

The Carnival Liberty continues to remain in St. Thomas following an engine fire that occurred on Monday, Sept. 7, while the ship was docked there during a scheduled port of call visit. All guests will now be flown home from St. Thomas. Given the limited availability of commercial flights, guests will primarily be transported via chartered aircraft.

All guests are being provided with a full refund of their cruise as well as a 50 percent discount on a future cruise. This is in addition to a $150 per person credit that has already been applied to guests’ shipboard accounts.

There were no injuries to guests or crew as a result of the fire which was extinguished by the ship’s automated suppression system. All hotel services including air conditioning, elevators, toilets, galleys, etc. are fully functional and the ship's normal array of activities, entertainment, dining options and programming are being offered.

The ship is expected to return to its homeport of San Juan later this week.

We apologize to our guests for this unexpected disruption to their vacation and the inconvenience they are experiencing.

Carnival Liberty departed San Juan on Sunday for a seven-day Caribbean cruise with 3,346 guests and 1,150 crew on board.

This is part of the letter we received in our cabin.

*Guests who are scheduled to return home on our first wave of flights on Wednesday will receive flight detail information in their stateroom at 10:00am. You should expect to depart the vessel no later than 1:00 pm.

*All other guests scheduled to depart on later flights Wednesday afternoon will receive flight details in their stateroom no later than 1:00pm. You will be scheduled to disembark no earlier than 5:00 pm.

*Remaining guests who are scheduled to depart on Thursday or Friday will receive their flight details no later than Wednesday evening.