Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

I hate to say it but I think Carnival just wants to deal with the people on the Liberty now and get them home before they start dealing with the cruisers on the 13th. I would be surprised if any news on future cruises came out before tonight when the cruisers on the Liberty were told they would have their information by.

How can Carnival say they will or not be sailing? The right part replacement might be a quick fix so why jump the gun and cancel before they try the fix?

To all those sailing on the 13th and 20th, try to stay positive! No news could potentially be good news. I am sailing on the 4th, hopefully everything is good to go for all of us!

And if it's not? At what point do you stop getting people's hopes up? When do you realistically throw the towel in and say it's over?

3 days before the cruise? 1 day? How about as they show up at the pier the morning of?

This isn't like the airlines where they can keep delaying. Even the airlines are obligated to reaccommodate passengers on others flights. In this case, we are just being told, so sorry. Here's a refund, and a discount off a future cruise.

I'm not asking for money. I merely want the courtesy of a realistic option.

Carnival is giving you a realistic option, they are telling you that at this point the sailing will still occur.

They are running a business and they are not going to cancel a cruise leaving on Sunday if there is still the possibility that they will be able to operate that cruise. Why would they cancel now and lose that revenue only to make the repair and have the ship sit for a week?

Carnival is giving you a realistic option, they are telling you that at this point the sailing will still occur.

They are running a business and they are not going to cancel a cruise leaving on Sunday if there is still the possibility that they will be able to operate that cruise. Why would they cancel now and lose that revenue only to make the repair and have the ship sit for a week?

So basically in your opinion, screw PR? They've got a business to run and who cares if it upsets their customers!

Ever notice how airline offer free changes to itineraries when hurricanes or snow storms are expected? Maybe they should just say screw it, "run their business" and let the passengers deal with it. Don't offer any reaccommodations, and let them show up to the airport for the scheduled flight......if it flies.

Edited by gone_cruisin

It will remain in St. Thomas until Friday, at least. That's the day the last of the passengers will debark.

I'm not sure that's what he said. I've gone back and reread his post. It sounds like he has requested to be flown out on Friday but it doesn't say if they will be staying on the ship. Only that they will be getting their flight information by this evening. However, I don't know that carnival would put them up in a hotel.

Edited by booknerd2011

This will be my one post that will have some emotion attached. Since the announcement was made, there are many upset guests. The line to Guest Relations is very long. We have additional guest services staff from the Glory onboard and a second guest relations desk has been set up on deck 5. I personally feel that Carnival has gone above and beyond considering the situation. The full refund and 50% off a future cruise, not forgetting the OBC already received, has been more than generous. We will definitely sail Carnival again.

I agree. Carnival takes care of their guests adequately. This has been proven time and again.

Thank you for keeping us posted on the happenings. I am sorry your vacation did not turn out as planned, and, hope you find a great deal and can use your refund and 50% discount real soon! ;)

Ugh because it's the right thing to do and they will have a lot less angry people who are able to make other arrangements. When I worked at a restaurant and someone's steak fell on the floor, I went and told them "I'm so sorry, it will take another 30 minutes- what would you like to do". You don't just let them sit there for 30 minutes, then bring it out and say "well you got the steak so what's your problem?!" Obviously this is a much larger and different scale but everyone likes being kept up to date as soon as possible to change their plans. Even if the cruise line does lose out, the decent customer service would win them back over like it has for OP.

We were on the ill fated Splendor Swine flu cruise. Many over reacted and when we arrived home we received a letter and were very happy at what they offered after the cruise. Sometimes it takes awhile to reevaluate the situation until it's over.

People keep saying they are not getting an answer from Carnival about the 9/13 sailing when in reality the answer is it is still scheduled to sail.

Given the circumstances and that events are still developing, I don't blame those going on the 13th for being nervous. You're right, the sailing is still scheduled, but a lot remains to be seen between now and Friday or Saturday.

Even if people do board for the 13th and the ship can't make cruising speed so they alter the itinerary can you imagine the posts here? "My once in a lifetime dream trip was ruined because Carnival sailed a ship that broke last week. they knew before we flew down the ship couldn't make the itinerary and did nothing for us. lasts weeks cruise got blah, blah, blah." Not saying it is right or wrong, but it's a consideration and like I said, I understand people being nervous.

Heck, yesterday the plan was for the ship to sail to PR and guests to have a free floating hotel all week. But as things developed over the day that got changed.

People keep saying they are not getting an answer from Carnival about the 9/13 sailing when in reality the answer is it is still scheduled to sail.

I agree i understand they want to keep the 9-13 trip and they are working to make sure the boat is ready for the 9-13 cruise. I know they don't want to cancel till the last min but they should give use a deadline so we know that example by Friday at 10pm if the boat is still BDNWW ( broke,"down" no worky worky") the trip is canceled so we can make plans.

just my thoughts not trying to fan any flames or anything :) time to find a drink at 10am.

Ever notice how airline offer free changes to itineraries when hurricanes or snow storms are expected? Maybe they should just say screw it, "run their business" and let the passengers deal with it. Don't offer any reaccommodations, and let them show up to the airport for the scheduled flight......if it flies.

When there was the fire in Chicago FAA building last (?) year that shut down all Chicago airspace the airlines didn't do anything for the people who were delayed for a day or more- it really did become "just show up and we'll see if we fly". We spent 15 hours in an airport one day, and that it didn't happen a second day was luck that we rebooked through Dallas, when a lot of people got rebooked again through Chicago (which didn't open again a second day). They basically said "it's an FAA issue, we can't help it, sucks to be you" (the last part was just implied). So let passengers deal with it was EXACTLY what happened.

We thankfully did have insurance on our vacation and got some recourse, but we also missed part of a once in a life time opportunity.

And while airlines -occasionally- offer changes for snowstorms and hurricanes, it is really only when they are big news. Airlines almost always say "sorry the weather isn't our problem" when flights are canceled or greatly delayed. I've had that happen multiple times, though never with as great of an effect as the fire had.

This, however, ISN'T weather or an act outside company control. It is a Carnival mechanical issue.

Edited by skittl1321

Given the circumstances and that events are still developing, I don't blame those going on the 13th for being nervous. You're right, the sailing is still scheduled, but a lot remains to be seen between now and Friday or Saturday.

Even if people do board for the 13th and the ship can't make cruising speed so they alter the itinerary can you imagine the posts here? "My once in a lifetime dream trip was ruined because Carnival sailed a ship that broke last week. they knew before we flew down the ship couldn't make the itinerary and did nothing for us. lasts weeks cruise got blah, blah, blah." Not saying it is right or wrong, but it's a consideration and like I said, I understand people being nervous.

Heck, yesterday the plan was for the ship to sail to PR and guests to have a free floating hotel all week. But as things developed over the day that got changed.

That's exactly my point! I don't think Carnival has the necessary information to make that call at this time. They just found out late last night that they weren't able to sail as planned. Give them a bit of time to re-evaluate the situation so they can make a sound decision instead of pushing them to cancel a cruise prematurely. And I certainly don't blame them for being anxious either. I know I would be the same but would want for Carnival to make the best decision for all concerned and if that takes a bit of time, then it takes a bit of time. They know that many people have flights scheduled to arrive a day or two early and I believe they will take that into consideration if the 9/13 cruise must be cancelled.

Edited by LadyDAC

This, however, ISN'T weather or an act outside company control. It is a Carnival mechanical issue.

You hit the nail on the head right there!

It's a known problem. It didn't just show up the day before the 9/13 cruise. And since they don't have spare ships laying around, we all know a cancellation is really their only option.

Several years ago when the FAA grounded certain types of aircraft for mandatory inspections, the airlines took massive cancellations. They didn't sit around and cancel one flight at a time....they took out several days of flights. It's called preplanning.

That's exactly my point! I don't think Carnival has the necessary information to make that call at this time. They just found out late last night that they weren't able to sail as planned. Give them a bit of time to re-evaluate the situation so they can make a sound decision instead of pushing them to cancel a cruise prematurely.

If they know exactly what caused the problem then yes they should be able to make the call, if someone is still trouble shooting the not really. By the vary nature of trouble shooting you always think the next step is going to be the one to fix the issue. It's hard to estimate with any accuracy before you know exactly what is going on.

The future sailing of Liberty affects 3500 passengers. Thousands of whom probably have no knowledge of the ongoing issues. If cancellation was ABSOLUTELY necessary I am sure they would be contacting everyone with haste. AS OF NOW this is STILL undetermined. People just need to be patient and not focus on the worst but on the BEST. But then I'm a glass half full person.

I agree i understand they want to keep the 9-13 trip and they are working to make sure the boat is ready for the 9-13 cruise. I know they don't want to cancel till the last min but they should give use a deadline so we know that example by Friday at 10pm if the boat is still BDNWW ( broke,"down" no worky worky") the trip is canceled so we can make plans.

just my thoughts not trying to fan any flames or anything :) time to find a drink at 10am.

"BDNWW" - I like that! :D I agree that it would relieve some tension and anxiety if they would set a notification deadline.

If I were a passenger booked on the 13th sailing, I'd be more nervous about being on a ship that was rushed back into service than about having the cruise cancelled for safety/mechanical/ongoing issues.

Imagine that something gets overlooked or bandaided and the next cruise out fails at sea...........would you want to be on that ship? Not me. I can always rebook another cruise from the safety of my home.

And if it's not? At what point do you stop getting people's hopes up? When do you realistically throw the towel in and say it's over?

3 days before the cruise? 1 day? How about as they show up at the pier the morning of?

This isn't like the airlines where they can keep delaying. Even the airlines are obligated to reaccommodate passengers on others flights. In this case, we are just being told, so sorry. Here's a refund, and a discount off a future cruise.

I'm not asking for money. I merely want the courtesy of a realistic option.

what is your suggestion?

Pure speculation

What is the likelihood of carnival towing the ship to San Juan w/o pax on Saturday if they can't get the ship there on its on power. Then offering the 9/13 the option of using the ship as a hotel and if repairs are made to sail on an altered schedule.

Or

offer them the option to cancel for a full refund

This would be done Friday morning.

Wish that poster who was a former chief engineer would chime in,he always provided such detailed and technical assistance on topics such as this

Edited by DaytonCruiser

You are correct! I reread Pauley's post and it sounds like they are disembarking everyone today.

No, guests will disembark based on when their flight is scheduled by Carmival.

Edited by pauleydm