5 Reasons to book a balcony...

big al

When you are booking a cruise you will have the option of choosing an interior cabin, a cabin with a view, or a balcony cabin. And then , of course, there are suites which have balconies, a huge space, and often come with a butler. But for this post, I want to mention 5 of the biggest reasons for choosing at least a balcony stateroom. Yes, they do cost more, and you might be tempted to just get an ocean view, but here are some things to consider before you make that decision for your next cruise.

Better Views: Most balcony staterooms have floor to ceiling transparent doors which give you a much better view than just a window, whether it be a porthole or full sized window. And let’s face it, when you are cruising it’s all about taking in the sights. What better way to enjoy these sights than from the comfort of your own room where you can order free room service ( FYI- a few cruise lines have now started charging for room service..) and put your feet up.

Ocean Air Anytime You Want It - For me this is the biggest reason to get a balcony stateroom. Even if you can still see the ocean with a window in your stateroom, or imagine it with an interior stateroom, there is nothing like feeling the ocean breeze as you cruise from island to island. When the cruise ship really gets moving the breeze can be a little too intense, but even if you want to stay inside your cabin and leave the door open a little it’s nice to breathe in that ocean air. Most cruise ships want you to keep the door closed but this is mostly because they don’t want to pay for keeping a room cool if the door is open. Just make sure you turn the thermostat up or down depending on the temperature outside. This is the biggest difference IMO, between a balcony cabin & inside or window cabin..you cannot FEEL the sea, the breeze, salt air, sunshine, that feeling that you're on a cruise ship AT sea, not land based like in a hotel...

More Private- Don’t get me wrong. It’s nice to be able to lay out on the pool deck with a lounge chair and get some sun, but sometimes the pool deck can get a little too busy and crowded for my taste. That’s why it’s nice to be able to go back to your own private room and put your feet up where no one can bother you. You might have a few rowdy passengers in other balconies, but usually during the day it’s quite quiet and peaceful out there ..very relaxing to be sitting on your balcony gazing at the sea, while others cannot or are at the pool with perhaps thousands of others- no thanks, I'll just sit here sipping my cool beverage, put my feet up & enjoy the soothing calmness of the waters...

Easier to Wake Up- I know sometimes budgets don’t allow for an upgrade to a balcony stateroom on a cruise ship, but interior staterooms just don’t allow you to wake up naturally. It’s just as dark when you went to sleep as when you get up. I loved being able to wake up to the natural sunlight coming through the glass doors. There is no need for an alarm clock and you don’t feel detached from reality. I know some people say that inside cabins have less light in them & it's better for sleeping, but if you are a professional dark room sleeper, like me, you know what to do to make the cabin VERY dark..besides, I don't go on cruises to sleep, I go to enjoy the wonders of cruising, ports of call, great shows,etc.. In an inside cabin we had once, we got into our bathing suits on a sea day, & went up to the pool deck, only to find it was pouring! We were the only idiots out there…another time we missed breakfast because it was so dark, we thought it was still like 3 AM, so we kept going back to bed..I don’t like that- I like to sleep naturally and LOVE opening the curtains & seeing the wonders of the sea instead of the wonders of a closet-like cabin…just MHO..

Experience the Ocean Life More- On my last cruise my wife and I got to see dolphins swimming around the ship while we were sailing to one of our ports. They were right along the ship and jumping in and out of the water. It was quite a sight to see and we never would have seen this if we didn’t have a balcony. We spent a lot of time just leaning on the railing and looking out into the water, and spotted several other kinds of oceanic life, which was a wonderful part of our cruising experience. Not everyone will be able to afford a balcony stateroom, but if you are able to modify the budget enough to pay for one, it will be well worth it. The best balconies are on the back of the ship. They are bigger balconies and a little more private since you don’t have as many neighbors, but usually you will have to pay a little extra for these as well…to me, I’m on a cruise to experience the sea..what’s the point of being on a cruise ship if you can’t see the sea or the waves, or smell the salt air, feel the wind & sun on your face, have breakfast on your private balcony ( very cool & VERY romantic!!)…when I go to a hotel, I don’t ask for a room without a window, and in hotels don’t you LOVE when you have a balcony over looking the beach or water? I do..I’m on vacation, and I save for a balcony..if I can’t cruise in one, I won’t cruise..we work too hard to spend a week in a mole..BTW, we are not wealthy, but last year, I found balconies on the Oasis for only $125 more than insides on a 5 night Halloween cruise for my wife’s b’day…well worth it & she deserves it, don’t you?

Big Al

P.S.- These are just MY opinions & suggestions to those who are considering a balcony or their first cruise..I am not suggesting this is the only way to cruise, just a great way..for all you inside cabin bullies ( and there are a lot of you) , go ahead & start bashing me like all others do..I have become used to rudeness & intolerance by people who think that anything better than an inside cabin is foolish, and that those who wish to enjoy a balcony must be idiots..and that is your opinion, and you know what they say about opinions,lol...

• Like 1

For all the reasons you listed, this is why I book balcony.

I took my first cruise in 1996 and it was a balcony - and I LOVED IT. I can remember sitting out there in the early mornings and dark nights enjoying the privacy, hearing the ocean.

So now that I am ending my 19 year cruise hiatus and have started booking more cruises, balcony is the only way to go for me!

(and I'll remember to keep the balcony door closed!)

Edited by SteadyBetty

For all the reasons you listed, this is why I book balcony.

I took my first cruise in 1996 and it was a balcony - and I LOVED IT. I can remember sitting out there in the early mornings and dark nights enjoying the privacy, hearing the ocean.

So now that I am ending my 19 year cruise hiatus and have started booking more cruises, balcony is the only way to go for me!

(and I'll remember to keep the balcony door closed!)

DH had noro on a cruise so I was also required to stay in the cabin for a couple of days.

If we had not had a balcony, I would have had BIG TIME "cabin fever"! :D

LuLu

Thanks Ladies! Wow, Noro, that must have been awful! Betty: I too, love sitting at night & hearing the waves, especially when the moon is full & you can see a bit more of the whitecaps!!

Big Al

First cruise...porthole (only discovered on day 3 when I finally pulled back the curtain on the wall and found it wasn't just for decoration! LOL)

Second and third cruises...oceanview. Nice rooms and enjoyed having the natural sunlight.

Fourth cruise...1st balcony. I've been sprung on them ever since. Nothing compared to being able to step out onto our own private verandah and enjoying the sights and sounds of the ocean and sky without the need to go top deck if we weren't in a "mingling" mood.

We are embarking on our 5th cruise come January and I didn't even think about any cabin that didn't have balcony attached to it when booking. Even sweeter was the fact that without knowing at the time, I was setting us up in a "hump" cabin as well to which I'm very much looking forward too.

Inside cabins are fine for those who don't have the extra money or are just not into the balcony experience. However, unless you have had a balcony one can't speak as to what they aren't missing or what those who have one are "throwing away". Criticize me for spending my money on what I deem appropriate for my cruise experience all you want. Nothing compares unless you've got a suite.

Edited by DeesEscape

First cruise...porthole (only discovered on day 3 when I finally pulled back the curtain on the wall and found it wasn't just for decoration! LOL)

Second and third cruises...oceanview. Nice rooms and enjoyed having the natural sunlight.

Fourth cruise...1st balcony. I've been sprung on them ever since. Nothing compared to being able to step out onto our own private verandah and enjoying the sights and sounds of the ocean and sky without the need to go top deck if we weren't in a "mingling" mood.

We are embarking on our 5th cruise come January and I didn't even think about any cabin that didn't have balcony attached to it when booking. Even sweeter was the fact that without knowing at the time, I was setting us up in a "hump" cabin as well to which I'm very much looking forward too.

Inside cabins are fine for those who don't have the extra money or are just not into the balcony experience. However, unless you have had a balcony one can't speak as to what they aren't missing or what those who have one are "throwing away". Criticize me for spending my money on what I deem appropriate for my cruise experience all you want. Nothing compares unless you've got a suite.

Pretty much same here. Now wouldn't sail without a balcony.

Thanks, both of you..glad you mentioned that some people who NEVER have had a balcony say things like ,"no need to have one", or "you're only in the cabin to sleep & shower", or "won't pay extra for it"..clearly, they do NOT know what they are missing..I have cruised 31 times on all but Costa & MSC, in all 4 categories: inside, window, balcony & suite...nothing beats a balcony & nothing is more boring than an inside cabin IMO..I know- I have been in one..BTW,DEESESCAPE, you will LOVE the hump cabin..I have done 4 of them..great views!!

Big Al

Let's face it. There are some people that are only in their cabins to sleep and shower.

To me, though, my cabin is my home away from home. There is very little I participate in on the ship. The ship is not my 'destination' (which is why I don't go on of the mega ships). So to me the balcony provides my quiet, private out door space. I love getting up in the morning and going out in my nightgown (or if already in port with a robe on LOL).

I love sitting out there and watching the water, reading, napping. It's our own special space. :)

Me neither. I don't begrudge those who prefer inside cabins or OV and don't make a judgment for or against their personal preference. We balcony lovers have discovered for ourselves and preferences that a balcony enhances our own experience not tear down or belittle someone else because this is how we choose to cruise and save for the extra addition it lends to our vacations.

Thanks, both of you..glad you mentioned that some people who NEVER have had a balcony say things like ,"no need to have one", or "you're only in the cabin to sleep & shower", or "won't pay extra for it"..clearly, they do NOT know what they are missing..I have cruised 31 times on all but Costa & MSC, in all 4 categories: inside, window, balcony & suite...nothing beats a balcony & nothing is more boring than an inside cabin IMO..I know- I have been in one..BTW,DEESESCAPE, you will LOVE the hump cabin..I have done 4 of them..great views!!

Big Al

Thanks Big Al. I'm soooo excited for the hump cabin! The icing on the cake will be if I can talk our room attendant into getting us a lounge chair! LOL I know my chances are at best 50/50 but I'm going for it. Even if we don't snag the cherry on top so to speak I'm going to enjoy every single second I can of that fabulous balcony on Deck 7. I've already got my first breakfast on the balcony already planned thanks to you!:)

Let's face it. There are some people that are only in their cabins to sleep and shower.

To me, though, my cabin is my home away from home. There is very little I participate in on the ship. The ship is not my 'destination' (which is why I don't go on of the mega ships). So to me the balcony provides my quiet, private out door space. I love getting up in the morning and going out in my nightgown (or if already in port with a robe on LOL).

I love sitting out there and watching the water, reading, napping. It's our own special space. :)

GREAT points Diane! I have been saying this for 5 years now on CC, but get attacked always by inside cabin bullies..they claim they are never in their cabin..I wouldn't be either if I had an inside cabin- what for? 4 walls? to sleep?..I am like you, I LOVE coming back to my cabin & having a little bit of heaven right outside just for me & my wife!!

Big Al

Me neither. I don't begrudge those who prefer inside cabins or OV and don't make a judgment for or against their personal preference. We balcony lovers have discovered for ourselves and preferences that a balcony enhances our own experience not tear down or belittle someone else because this is how we choose to cruise and save for the extra addition it lends to our vacations.

What bothers me are people who have never even tried a balcony..my opinion is if you haven't tried it, don't knock it...don't say Ruth Chris is the best steakhouse if that's the only one you've tried..you also must try the Capital Grill & Morton's to compare..your opinion is INVALID if you can't make a comparison based on experience..same with hotels..if you say you think Holiday Inns are the best, then admit to NEVER trying another chain, your opinions are not a valid one as far as comparisons go..it's fine to say you LIKE Ruth Chris or the HI hotels, but don't claim they are the best if you've never experienced the competition...JMHO......I don't begrudge, just prefer...

Big Al

Thanks Big Al. I'm soooo excited for the hump cabin! The icing on the cake will be if I can talk our room attendant into getting us a lounge chair! LOL I know my chances are at best 50/50 but I'm going for it. Even if we don't snag the cherry on top so to speak I'm going to enjoy every single second I can of that fabulous balcony on Deck 7. I've already got my first breakfast on the balcony already planned thanks to you!:)

Tell your cabin steward you will give him a $20 tip if he brings the lounge chair..often it is not allowed, but you can try..what ship are you going on?

We tried an OV once...NEVER AGAIN! The least is a balcony...with a mini-suite/JS being our preference. I HATE electric lights in the daytime...HATE THEM...HATE! I need natural light...maybe I'm a reverse vampire...I don't know, but being in a totally dark room is not my idea of a vacation!

Tell your cabin steward you will give him a $20 tip if he brings the lounge chair..often it is not allowed, but you can try..what ship are you going on?

We're going on Allure right after New Year's! I've got my "lounge chair request fund" all ready.

What bothers me are people who have never even tried a balcony..my opinion is if you haven't tried it, don't knock it...don't say Ruth Chris is the best steakhouse if that's the only one you've tried..you also must try the Capital Grill & Morton's to compare..your opinion is INVALID if you can't make a comparison based on experience..same with hotels..if you say you think Holiday Inns are the best, then admit to NEVER trying another chain, your opinions are not a valid one as far as comparisons go..it's fine to say you LIKE Ruth Chris or the HI hotels, but don't claim they are the best if you've never experienced the competition...JMHO......I don't begrudge, just prefer...

Big Al

I prefer too. The CC Etiquette Police have their moments which I take for what they are when it concerns someone else's choice

/preferrence...that's their opinion. Everyone cruises on the same ship but with an individual personalized agenda. I would never tell anyone how to enjoy their cruising experience or knock their choices for their preferred needs to enhance the enjoyment.

• Like 1

We tried an OV once...NEVER AGAIN! The least is a balcony...with a mini-suite/JS being our preference. I HATE electric lights in the daytime...HATE THEM...HATE! I need natural light...maybe I'm a reverse vampire...I don't know, but being in a totally dark room is not my idea of a vacation!

A JS with balcony will be my next bucket list goal!

I have yet to take my first cruise, but I can imagine that if I were in an inside cabin, I would only be in there to sleep and shower too. I would feel too claustrophobic and I wouldn't see it as a place to relax and unwind. I booked balconies for my upcoming cruises for all of the reasons you mentioned. My husband and I are not partiers (we don't even drink), so I'm predicting we will want a quiet place to retreat to. Besides, we are not in the position to take more than one vacation a year, so we might as well splurge on the one we do take!

Edited by bakersdozen12

We're going on Allure right after New Year's! I've got my "lounge chair request fund" all ready.

We were just on the Oasis last Oct for my wife's b'day & there were 4 couples, 2 of us had hump cabins on deck 9...spectacular!! I'm very jealous!!!

Big Al

A JS with balcony will be my next bucket list goal!

Yes, we are on a JS in Nov on the Adventure of The Seas doing a Southern Caribb..I nailed this cabin for only $2000! A JS on the hump!! My wife LOVES the walk-in closet & balcony is 85 SF... It pays to be Diamond & a cruise agent,lol....

I have yet to take my first cruise, but I can imagine that if I were in an inside cabin, I would only be in there to sleep and shower too. I would feel too claustrophobic and I wouldn't see it as a place to relax and unwind. I booked balconies for my upcoming cruises for all of the reasons you mentioned. My husband and I are not partiers (we don't even drink), so I'm predicting we will want a quiet place to retreat to. Besides, we are not in the position to take more than one vacation a year, so we might as well splurge on the one we do take!

Good reasoning...my Dad used to say, "be cheap at home..pay your bills, save your $$, save for your kid's education ( if you have them), and take at least ONE good vacation every year & but don't be cheap on your vacation"...I try to do that always...we only cruise if we can swing a t least a balcony, or a Junior/ Mini suite if the price is good & we can swing it ...BTW, inside cabins are claustrophobic IMO, but my wife is OK in that sense..you are right about the retreat..it is a sanctuary IMO...nothing beats seeing the sea, blue waters, sun, sky, nature,etc... thunder storms BTW, are AMAZING watching from your balcony, as long as they are a decent distance from the ship...truly spectacular!!

Big Al

Ignore them, don't ever book balconies any of you Never.

If everyone wants a balcony I'll probably have to pay more for mine.

They are also highly addictive, to see hear and smell the ocean, that's why I cruise.

Ignore them, don't ever book balconies any of you Never.

If everyone wants a balcony I'll probably have to pay more for mine.

They are also highly addictive, to see hear and smell the ocean, that's why I cruise.

I wrote in my thread called "Thanks, cruise ship balcony, a commentary", which you can find also in this thread called "cabin selection tips" around page 3 or 4 now ( it has 45,000+ hits, most ever for a balcony post on CC) , that balcony cabins have a higher satisfaction rate than chocolate at 95% ( chocolate is 93%), and that the late Robert Palmer said it perfectly in his song, "Addicted To Love" from 1986, except I say "Addicted To Balconies" instead, lol.. nice post & comments!!

Big Al