very dumb question about boarding time

Irene225

We are cruising on the Sky on 10/19 and it is my first ocean cruise (have done river cruises, but not ocean!). I am filling out the check-in paperwork and noticed you can select a check-in time beginning as early as 10am.

However, it says that boarding is not until 12n.

If you chose 10am, what would you do between 10a-12n?

Is there any advantage to getting there that early?

Thanks in advance!

Ashley

The earlier you check in, you will receive an earlier boarding group number.

You get to wait comfortably in the terminal for an hour or so. The biggest advantage of checking in early is you get a earlier boarding number. Once checked in everyone is issued a card with a boarding number they are called in order.

Thank you both!

And silly question, but why do I care, other than just starting my trip early?

Perhaps no other reason. On all NCL ships one MDR (main dining room) is open on embarkation day from noon until about 1:30-2:00, a leisured, served lunch is preferred way of starting the cruise for many here. :)

Thank you both!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I want to get on board that ship as soon as I can! :)

It's great to have lunch on board while you wait for the cabins to be ready... The sooner you board, the sooner your vacation has started!

Just my own personal preference.

Enjoy your first ocean cruise!

I, too, like to get onto the boat as soon as possible. Two advantages come to mind. The is the sooner you get on, the better opportunity you have to walk around the ship to get your barings. Next, as mentioned earlier, go to the main dining room (MDR) for lunch. The buffet will be a mad house.;)

I want on as early as I can. Let the vacation begin. Start eating, have an adult beverage, people watch, explore the ship, leave the real world behind. We like to arrive at the port about 10:30, check in is quick, sit, relax, board about 11:30 usually.

I want on as early as I can. Let the vacation begin. Start eating, have an adult beverage, people watch, explore the ship, leave the real world behind. We like to arrive at the port about 10:30, check in is quick, sit, relax, board about 11:30 usually.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I want to get on board that ship as soon as I can! :)

It's great to have lunch on board while you wait for the cabins to be ready... The sooner you board, the sooner your vacation has started!

Just my own personal preference.

Enjoy your first ocean cruise!

Thank you all! I just can't stand sitting and waiting, but I will take this all under advisement :)

I, too, like to get onto the boat as soon as possible. Two advantages come to mind. The is the sooner you get on, the better opportunity you have to walk around the ship to get your barings. Next, as mentioned earlier, go to the main dining room (MDR) for lunch. The buffet will be a mad house.;)

Good points. I love your username - cracked me up!

Have never sailed NCL (not-so-patiently waiting for our cruise on Escape) but you receive the daily newsletter at check-in. You can pour over that and plan your day so you're ready to go when you board the ship. If you have last minute reservations/changes boarding early can help.

Thank you all! I just can't stand sitting and waiting, but I will take this all under advisement :)

Just keep in mind, wouldn't you rather sit and wait after checking in and getting a low boarding number, than STAND and wait in a long line and THEN sit and wait for your higher boarding number to be called, which would likely happen closer to noon? ;)

Just keep in mind, wouldn't you rather sit and wait after checking in and getting a low boarding number, than STAND and wait in a long line and THEN sit and wait for your higher boarding number to be called, which would likely happen closer to noon? ;)

Noted :)

If you want to be the first to board that is fine and my decision to board early is largely dependent on the embarkation port. When I did a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale there was nothing I really wanted to see or do in the city and since we had flown in the night before I was ready to board ASAP, however I had a very different opinion on my recent Med cruise out of Barcelona (see my signature for a link to the trip report) and while I think the food on board is good it isn't going to beat any of the regional cuisine I could get in Barcelona. We didn't actually get on board the ship till close to 2pm.

I am excited to hear that an mdr is open! Our last two cruises have been on RCCL and the mdr isn't open on embarkation day.

I thought that I read somewhere that, often, places like O'Sheehans might be open as well? (I'm hoping for Margaritaville on the Escape!!)

Thank you both!

Easier to get passes to things like Vibe and Posh. Easier to get food at the buffet, or one of the open sit down places. You get to the bar faster so you are sipping a drink before others are even on the ship. Access to make Specialty dining reservations before others (if you didnt do it in advance).

There are several reasons earlier is better for some people. If you want to sleep a bit later and show up later that is fine as well. Its just a personal choice. I like to get on the ship ASAP so I can start my cruise and get all the basic stuff out of the way.

6&8