Another cruise shortened!

wfmom

Just was notified yesterday that the Nov 4, 2015 cruise on the Regatta has had port times shortened by 10 hours!!! this includes leaving San Juan 4 hours earlier than originally scheduled.

We were on two Oceania cruises this summer that also shortened our times in ports as well as skipping 2 ports entirely. As longtime Oceania cruisers (more than 500 days on O ships), we are extremely disturbed by this trend. Obviously a cost-cutting method, this is not the way Oceania has treated it's guests, nor is it the way they should be treating them. Oceania has a history of loyal return cruisers, but continuing down this path will definitely make us start looking at Crystal, Seabourn and Silver Seas.

Mmmmmmmmmmm just wondering if this is legal. If this happened on shore you would be entitled to some kind of refund as they have not "sold" the goods paid for and promised.

We were on Riveria (B2B) last month and we lost many port hours.

regards

Mmmmmmmmmmm just wondering if this is legal. If this happened on shore you would be entitled to some kind of refund as they have not "sold" the goods paid for and promised.

We were on Riveria (B2B) last month and we lost many port hours.

regards

Is a cruise a good or a service?:confused:

Anyway, I suspect the general view is that it is legal per the cruise contract terms but very shady practice if the shortenings just to save fuel costs come after final payment (i.e., cannot cancel without penalty).

If the time shortenings come before final payment, then you can cancel - no harm no (great) foul.

For those on the Amazon Adventure 25 day cruise, check your email.

Hours have been adjusted again. It would appear that there has been a change of heart with the original itinerary revision. Maybe someone is reading Cruise Critic:D

Makes you wonder where/what they will cut to make up the shortfall ;)

I am not very trusting of O at the moment

We're taking our first Oceania cruise in October, and booked primarily for the itinerary and long port days. Last month several of the port days were significantly shortened, but yesterday we received an email stating that one of the port stays had been restored to its original departure time, several hours later. Glad to hear this; hopefully O is listening!

Is a cruise a good or a service?:confused:

Anyway, I suspect the general view is that it is legal per the cruise contract terms but very shady practice if the shortenings just to save fuel costs come after final payment (i.e., cannot cancel without penalty).

If the time shortenings come before final payment, then you can cancel - no harm no (great) foul.

As an FYI these changes are all happening after final payments have been made! And this has never happened on any prior cruises that we have taken.

We will be on our 4th Oceania cruise- and two of the port times were reduced for the Riviera Barcelona to Barcelona cruise in October. One shortened by 4 hours. We pick Oceania for the itinerary and the food. I guess I will have to eat more to get my moneys worth.

Like other posters- I feel cheated that this was done after the final payment. Even if it isn't- it looks shady. There are other cruise lines -sad, because we were happy with Oceania. :mad::mad::mad:

We are on Marina- Cape Town to Rio in November- 2 ports were shortened (one by 1 hour and 1 by 2 hours-not so bad) but the kicker is that the arrival in Rio was changed from 9 am to 1 pm. Many people (ourselves included) have already arranged tours for Rio privately which will have to be changed or abandoned. This was done last week after final payment was received. We are long time Regent cruisers and this is our first Oceania run- we are very disappointed with Oceania.

Bill

"Longer Stays in Port" = Azamara. More personal service too.

Hmmm...according to your signature all your cruising has been on Azamara and Celebrity, so how do you know the service is more personal on Azamara?? :confused::confused:

Having previously sailed with Silversea, Sea Dream and Cunard in Queens Grill I find the service on O to be exemplary compared to SS and Cunard QG, and equal to Sea Dream.

Then you come out a winner because you will have much more time on board to experience that service as they are cutting back on port times after final payment.

Haha....Silver linings!

Seriously though.....I have had port times reduced on my Cape Town to Rio crossing, with Luderitz and Walvis Bay shortened, and a later arrival into Rio. St Helena has been untouched thankfully. The Rio arrival does suit me from a purely selfish point of view as my partner and I will be able to enjoy the sail in from our VS balcony at a more reasonable hour. We received notification of the changes less than a week after final payment and our displeasure has been fed back to O, even though we're not that affected.