Give me a reason to try RCL

No worries, I can understand - the site is slow from time to time but hopefully those direct links will help. Also, once you book your cruise you can see specific excursions from your Countdown to Cruise page (sort of your cruise dashboard).

RCI is pretty understanding of people on the spectrum. Our cruise on Oasis next month will actually have a decent sized contingent from Autism on the Seas and, in fact, Royal was the first cruiseline to be certified as the first autism friendly line and all of their youth staff on all ships are trained in autism awareness ("silver certified" - comparatively, Carnival is just "bronze certified" meaning that there are autism friendly products and services in place) You can read more about what RCI has available for people on the autism spectrum here.

We have sailed on a cruise that the autism group was on. I couldn't believe how much help they had. Can't remember the exact ratio of helpers to kids but it was noticeably high. They had a whole section at the ice show reserved for them right down by the ice.

We have only been on 3 cruises, 2 P&O and 1 RCI, so cannot give an opinion with Carnival, however, as previous posters have said, do your research either on here or as we do on You Tube, looking at the videos that people have posted on the ships is good way to ge a "feel" for the ship as well.

Edited by Mark-Sheffield

I just spent two weeks on Liberty. Other than the mystery dinner (which was fun but very corny) and the galley tour brunch, I never paid for specialty restaurants. The food was good, not great, but the servers were AWESOME and always would bring me something different if I didn't like it.

I've only done two different cruise lines and only cruise excursions for one-- however, the companies that the lines contract with are often the same. Excursions really should be somewhat similar.

Given how you started this thread, I would have expected you to get flamed REPEATEDLY. If I were you, take all of these awesome suggestions and go with it.

Cruise agent here & sailed on RCI 13x and Carnival 6x ( also, Disney, Princess, HAL, Celebrity, etc..)..biggest differences are the ships themselves- I am not a fan of the Carnival "LSD" type of styling..lots of neon & glitz..way to much..RCI's ships have a more subtle, softer colors with lots of wood & glass...The Liberty Of The Seas we 've cruised twice, most recently a 5 nighter in 2012..great ship...MDR is OK, though we are not big fans of MDR food, but the room is a stunning 3 deck room, much nicer than CCL's IMO..for a special night, try Chops ( Steakhouse) or Giavanni's ( Italian) ..they cost between $39 ( chops) and $25 PP (G's)..in Chops, you can get a table for 2 by a window over-looking the sea, order a NY Strip, Ribeye, Filet, etc., with a salad, appetizers, side dishes , dessert & coffee , all included & no restrictions on volume ..they also have chicken & fish , but this is a steakhouse, and well worth the $$ IMO...eating with 1500 people is not always desirable, nor romantic & this is a nice night for you both...

Second, shows & entertainment are much better we thought on the Liberty..Saturday Night Fever was outstanding and of course, there is NOTHING like the ice-skating shows on Carnival and the Liberty's are sensational..these two shows alone make a difference..the Liberty has a nice adult pool area called the "Solarium" with 2 of the coolest hot tubs on the 7 seas- these hot tubs stick out 12 ft over the side 112 ft above the water, therefore giving you STUNNING views of the sea..only the Dream class CCL ships have something close to this..and I HATE the DJ music on CCL now at the pool instead of the Reggae/ Caribbean music bands...to me, reggae music at the pool is part of a cruise experience..I don't want to hear Rap, or Lady Ga Ga or Punk at the pool, sorry...

Another difference is the Royal Promenade on the Liberty- very cool 500 ft promenade where parties take place ( the 70's retro disco party is a blast!), parades at night, selling of merchandise at huge discounts, etc..there's also a cool British Pub with a singer, Vintages wine bar, Champagne Bar, and various stores to shop along with FREE pizza & croissant sandwiches...you get what you pay for in cruising..premium ships get premium prices..CCL has been called by others as the "Walmart" of cruising, while Crystal is the "Nordstrom" of cruising..I suppose RCI would be like a Marriott..Carnival has good pricing, good itineraries decent ( but very plain) cabins with small balconies..they are driven by value more than quality IMO..that is not to say they are not a good cruise line, just not for all..I believe in variety, ESPECIALLY for cruise vacations...you don't eat at ONE restaurant, do you? Stay at ONLY one hotel company's hotel? You miss out on all the great cruising that's out there...a final word on perqs for frequent cruisers..RCI' s Frequent cruiser program is considered if not THEE best, it's amongst the top 3 in the industry of the Big 8 ( CCL, Celebrity, Disney, HAL, MSC, NCL, Princess & RCI)...IMHO,I think it's both silly & crazy to cruise ONLY one line- you miss out on soooo much!!!

Big Al

Well put, Big Al! Another consideration, if you would like to experience a specialty restaurant for a reduced charge, watch for discounts offered by RCL for first night dining or three times eating in a specialty restaurant.

Thanks & correct on the special savings by RCI for first night and or 3x dining during the cruise!.....

Big Al

Royal was the first cruiseline to be certified as the first autism friendly line and all of their youth staff on all ships are trained in autism awareness ("silver certified" - comparatively, Carnival is just "bronze certified" meaning that there are autism friendly products and services in place)

There's something I didn't know. That's kind of reassuring to me, actually.

BigAl--Hubs and I were actually discussing the shows last night and I've seen Saturday Night Fever (the movie) at least a hundred times. I am racking my brain as to how they made this into a "family friendly" musical. The musical part I have no problem wrapping my brain around, but certain scenes make me wonder how this ever got turned into something that can be considered family friendly.:eek::D

There's something I didn't know. That's kind of reassuring to me, actually.

BigAl--Hubs and I were actually discussing the shows last night and I've seen Saturday Night Fever (the movie) at least a hundred times. I am racking my brain as to how they made this into a "family friendly" musical. The musical part I have no problem wrapping my brain around, but certain scenes make me wonder how this ever got turned into something that can be considered family friendly.:eek::D

I too, have seen the move 100x , but we thought the play was fine..no "un" family friendly scenes IMO...if you go, don't leave when the show ends.. the cast all come out & do another 5-10 minutes of ROUSING SNF music like Disco Inferno, etc..everybody is up & dancing..it was soooo much fun! Also the ice skating show blends rock, pop, & classical music so well..you have Russian, Canadian, UK, & U.S skaters, many of them former Olympians skating to great music - your child should LOVE this show!! Also, I didn't see how old the child is, but if he/ she is under, say 10, they will LOVE the kid's H20 Fun Zone pool area, along with the rock climbing wall, Johnny Rockets for burgers & shakes ( costs like $5.50 now, but you get a lot..sit OUTSIDE BY THE WATER & watch the waiters dance to 60's 70's music!!)..there's also a very cool arcade room with games for kids...any more questions give a shout...

Big Al

Hubs and I were actually discussing the shows last night and I've seen Saturday Night Fever (the movie) at least a hundred times. I am racking my brain as to how they made this into a "family friendly" musical. The musical part I have no problem wrapping my brain around, but certain scenes make me wonder how this ever got turned into something that can be considered family friendly.:eek::D

Saturday Night Fever, in my opinion, is one of the best shows I've ever seen on a cruise ship. In fact, because of SNF, the ice show and the quality of the other shows in the main theater, like In The Air, I think Liberty is one of the best ships at sea for entertainment. I promise you won't be disappointed.

To me both lines are more alike than different. Both have their good points and their not so good. I do like RCI' s Freedom Class ships, the layout really helps traffic flow. RCI does have a better loyalty program, but I like the variety of food that is included in Carnival's 2.0 ships. I am booked next month on the Adventure of the Seas, and then the Carnival Vista. I say go on the RCI ship. You may love it, you may want to stay with Carnival, or you may to split your time between both lines. You will not know until you try, but to me any trip on a cruise is a wonderful vacation.

I think you'd have a great time on Liberty. The shows are incredible and not too long, so your child may enjoy as well. I don't have kids but know that on every sailing I see the kids club groups out and about doing activities and the kids seem very happy.

Also, it is nice to have skating, rock climbing, flow rider available depending how old your child is.

The specialty restaurants are nice and they now reduced the price to $8 for kids which I think is great if you want to eat together at one. Johnny Rocketts is great and entertaining and I think it's worth the $6 cover charge. But between the buffet, MDR and pizza place/cafe promenade you can also eat well all week without paying any extra if you choose.

I think the live music on royal is great, love Caribbean music by the pool and guitar player in the pub. And I know someone who cruises with their twins who both have autism and she praises RCL constantly for their understanding and making her vacation stress free, her kids are 6 years old. Also liberty will be receiving refurbishment soon so that's a nice bonus.

Hope you enjoy whatever you choose!

My official understanding is this:

If you like being around people under 30, go Carnival.

If you like production shows go RCCL.

If you like peace and quiet, go NCL.

If you like good food, go Disney.

Your understanding is correct. RCCL charges a cover if you want a Jhonny Rockets hamburger, or haggin daas ice cream, or a cupcake from the bakery or a taco from the blue iguana, or a coffee from starbucks even if you have the specialty coffee drink package... and that isn't even considering the dozen or so "fancy" specialty restaurants like the sushi bar izumi or the Brazilian steakhouse... However, I don't really consider this being nickled and dimed(except for the coffee because: WTH man?) in the sense that its definitely avoidable. Big buffet thing, just like every other cruiseline, big dining rooms, just like every other cruise line. Plus there are free venues around too, like the boardwalk hotdogs, etc.

To see shore excursions click on "veiw details" underneath the "book now" button on the booking page and then select "shore excursions." RCCL charges an average of ~$30 for a transportation only excursion ~$50-$70 for a 3hrs guided excursion and $100+ for a 5+ hrs excursion package. Not sure how that compares to carnival, but gives you an idea.

Edited by Diplomacy

That's good to hear...my husband is one of those people who will show up an hour before the show to get a good seat if he thinks it's gonna be pretty full. LOL

Crazy man.:D

At least there is bar service while you wait.

Your understanding is correct. RCCL charges a cover if you want a Jhonny Rockets hamburger, or haggin daas ice cream, or a cupcake from the bakery or a taco from the blue iguana, or a coffee from starbucks even if you have the specialty coffee drink package... and that isn't even considering the dozen or so "fancy" specialty restaurants like the sushi bar izumi or the Brazilian steakhouse... However, I don't really consider this being nickled and dimed(except for the coffee because: WTH man?) in the sense that its definitely avoidable. Big buffet thing, just like every other cruiseline, big dining rooms, just like every other cruise line. Plus there are free venues around too, like the boardwalk hotdogs, etc.

It should be made clear to the OP that a lot of these things aren't on Liberty of the Seas....and Blue Iguana isn't even a RCI thing at all.

It should be made clear to the OP that a lot of these things aren't on Liberty of the Seas....and Blue Iguana isn't even a RCI thing at all.

Nor is Haagen-Dazs, at least to my knowledge. The upmarket ice cream offering I've always seen has been courtesy of Ben & Jerry's.

Edited by garnetpalmetto

My official understanding is this:

If you like being around people under 30, go Carnival.

If you like production shows go RCCL.

If you like peace and quiet, go NCL.

If you like good food, go Disney.

The others already corrected the rest of your post, so I'll comment on this. If I were to pick a line for peace and quiet, I would probably pick HAL or Celebrity. I certainly wouldn't pick NCL. In fact, NCL would be about the last line I'd pick for peace and quiet.

The others already corrected the rest of your post, so I'll comment on this. If I were to pick a line for peace and quiet, I would probably pick HAL or Celebrity. I certainly wouldn't pick NCL. In fact, NCL would be about the last line I'd pick for peace and quiet.

Agreed.

yes, fair point...

What's the name of RCL's Mexican restaurant on the boardwalk by the aqua theater on the Allure? Whatever it is, they charge you for your tacos.

Good to know (have never been anywhere but RCL). Any particular reason that you say that?

Edited by Diplomacy

--Hubs and I were actually discussing the shows last night and I've seen Saturday Night Fever (the movie) at least a hundred times. I am racking my brain as to how they made this into a "family friendly" musical. The musical part I have no problem wrapping my brain around, but certain scenes make me wonder how this ever got turned into something that can be considered family friendly.:eek::D

I'm not sure what your idea of "family friendly" is but as far as I could tell, all of those "adult themes" from the movie were in the adaptation, including the bridge scene at the end and the reason for having the bridge scene (sorry to be so cagey -- don't want to spoil in case anyone doesn't know the story). It's your call about whether that's appropriate for your son; if we had younger kids, I would probably not have been comfortable with them there.

I suspect out of concern that people might leave the theater on a rather downbeat note -- after the cast takes its bows, they turn the music up and continue dancing and singing for another 5 minutes or so. The current cast is definitely enthusiastic, and the set design is pretty incredible, considering you're on a ship on the water.

@Diplomacy -- most of the restaurants you're referring to are only on the Oasis class and Quantum class of ships. Liberty doesn't have a boardwalk, Aqua Theater or (at the moment) a Mexican restaurant. There's some question about whether they might add a Mexican or Tex/Mex place while she's in dry dock early in 2016, but for now, it's just a steak (Chops) and Italian (currently Portofino, switching to Giovanni's Table during DD).

ETA -- @diplomacy -- I hope you weren't expecting those restaurants on your upcoming Liberty cruise. It's a fine ship and a big one, but doesn't have the variety of dining options on the REALLY big ships.

Edited by jm485

For sure try a RCL cruise.

I have done many on Carnival and 4 or 5 on RCL as well as Celebrity and Princess.

They are all similar in many ways and all have something for everyone.

I was on the Liberty of the Seas 3 years ago, did a 7 Caribbean cruise and a transAtlantic 10 months later. On those cruise you were given the choice to prebook the shows. The ice show was great and you were able to reserve once onboard as well.

It was on a RCL that I first experienced the "Quest" which they did on my last 2 Carnival cruises (June & Aug 2015)

In fact on my last roll call Carnival Splendor Aug 24, 2015 someone did a comparison between Carnvial and RCL since they had mostly sailed RCL.

The Liberty of the Seas has a wonderful promenade where they do a great parade or dancing in the Streets not to be missed.

My next RCL cruise is coming up, and as always I am looking forward to it.

I have become a cruising addict, lol.

I find half the fun in any cruise is meeting people and enjoy meeting others at the meet and greets.

Karen

Oh I envy you! While the Freedom has not been my favorite ship so far, getting away during the crazypants time of late Nov/early Dec would be heavenly. :)

I don't think they'll be bringing their larger cash cows to Galveston..it would be nice but I don't think it's gonna happen sadly. I'm sure the Liberty OTS is fine though.

Hubs is not convinced. Another one of his "issues" is that he doesn't want to go backwards as far as loyalty program points. Right now we are at 34 days sailed with Carnival and really, the loyalty program (IMO) kind of sucks donkey butt.

You are completely correct. The ONLY thing you get with the Gold card (been there) is a little lapel pin. You don't even get to go to the VIP party anymore, as they've now limited it to Platinum and above.

I know of no discounts whatsoever involved in the Carnival loyalty program (we are gold members with 40 days sailed, but are not likely to sail Carnival anytime soon as we now live in the Philippines), so I wouldn't set too much stock in that program. In fact, the only real reason we did so many Carnival cruises was our location (Las Vegas) made driving to the Long Beach port so incredibly easy, and Carnival runs Mexican Riviera and Baja Mexico year round. 5 of our 7 cruises on Carnival were out of Long Beach.

Tell your husband that I know where he's coming from, but ask himself this: how much less likely are you to try a different brand the further you get into the Carnival VIFP program? Each cruise you take, it will be harder for you to justify. Tell him once again, the ONLY thing you're going to get for the gold card is a little lapel pin. That's IT.

If I had it to do again, I would have made our retirement cruises we did back-to-back in November on Royal, and tried out one of the new monster ships instead.