Buying 4 certificates vrs 1 at a time

dudput

I'm thinking of buying 4 certificates and getting the $500 bonus on board credit. But $500 is a lot of on board credit at one time versus buying 4 individual certificates and getting $100 dollars of on board credit each time I cruise. Just curious what others have done and why? Can you carry over credits to your next cruise? Thanks.

I'm thinking of buying 4 certificates and getting the $500 bonus on board credit. But $500 is a lot of on board credit at one time versus buying 4 individual certificates and getting $100 dollars of on board credit each time I cruise. Just curious what others have done and why? Can you carry over credits to your next cruise? Thanks.

Well, you DO get the credit, but it is applied to the same account used to buy the $1,000 in certificates.You pay $1,000 for four cruise certificates

1. NCL charges your on-board account $1,000
  2. You get $500 OBC for your purchase
  3. NCL puts the $500 OBC on your account
  4. Your on-board account is increased by a net amount of $500

You have certificates worth $1,000 in future cruises that you paid $500 net for, so it's still a good deal.

Remember, those four certificates must be used on four separate cruises within four years -- and if you do the same next year, you'll end up needing 7 separate cruises for the following four years.

The certificates can't be combined for one cruise.

Of course, NCL would love to see you commit to so many cruises -- and would love even better to keep the money if you don't use them in time!

{EDIT} writing at the same time as LrgPizza!

Edited by hondorner

Buy at least 2 to get $250 in credit.

Buy an excursion or photos onboard and the credit will go fast.

There is absolutely no need to buy anything else onboard, the OBC will automatically be applied to existing charges (the certificates) on the onboard account.

Remember, those four certificates must be used on four separate cruises within four years -- and if you do the same next year, you'll end up needing 7 separate cruises for the following four years.

The certificates can't be combined for one cruise.

Of course, NCL would love to see you commit to so many cruises -- and would love even better to keep the money if you don't use them in time!

{EDIT} writing at the same time as LrgPizza!

If more than one cabin is booked, then more than one certificate can be used on the same cruise since it is one certificate per cabin, not per cruise.

Am I missing something? If you paid $1000 and then receive $500 on board credit then it really wouldn't be $500 on board credit. You would then have a bill for $500. Right? It's not like you need to find anything to do with that credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one of those interesting "High Finance" argumentative points!! :confused:

I bought $1000 dollars worth of Shares and they are now quoted as worth $500; Oh Woe Is Me I have lost $500!!!!!! You haven't lost anything unless you sell them now!! ;)

The FCC costs $250 each. You pay $150 each when you settle your OBC on the boat. You have bought something that will be worth $1000 in the future for $600 in the present. All the statement that NCL is making is that the $1000 that was debited to your OBC will be reduced by $400 and you will just have to pay $600. They have never been good at explanations (about anything!!).

Today you have not "made" anything but in the future you will have to pay less to gain the benefit.

Mike

Pom by Birth; Coin Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice.

The FCC costs $250 each. You pay $150 each when you settle your OBC on the boat. You have bought something that will be worth $1000 in the future for $600 in the present. All the statement that NCL is making is that the $1000 that was debited to your OBC will be reduced by $400 and you will just have to pay $600. They have never been good at explanations (about anything!!).

The new program is a bit more generous in that you can buy four $250 certificates for $1,000 with $500 OBC credited back.

So your four $250 certificates have a net cost of $500 rather than $1,000, or $125 each.

I maintain the savings are actually when you book the next cruise, not when you buy them. You are buying a future discount, and don't realize the savings until you use the discount. When you plop down that $250 certificate and it is credited against your cruise you have then realized the $125 savings.

We have 3 cabins on the Breakaway over Thanksgiving 2015. I always pay our TA a lot extra to buy OBC to use. Can I buy 3 certificates with the OBC that I purchased before we cruised? I already put a deposit on the cruise for 2016 so can I transfer the new certificates to my TA for the 2016 cruise? Yes, I know prepaying OBC seems dumb, but it works for me.

We have 3 cabins on the Breakaway over Thanksgiving 2015. I always pay our TA a lot extra to buy OBC to use. Can I buy 3 certificates with the OBC that I purchased before we cruised? I already put a deposit on the cruise for 2016 so can I transfer the new certificates to my TA for the 2016 cruise? Yes, I know prepaying OBC seems dumb, but it works for me.

You buy them on-board and can use your OBC balance to pay for them. So if you pre-pay $500 to increase your OBC, you can use that $500 to pay for the certificates.

But, I don't know about using a certificate on a cruise you have already booked. I have only used them on new bookings where the certificate is sufficient for the booking (you don't have to come up with the regular minimum charge). I'm not sure how it would work since you already paid the deposit on your 2016 cruise.

We are sailing Saturday and used our first ever FCC on this sailing. And it was a nice surprise, its like "hey, 250.00 off" and yes, we technically paid for it, but we paid for it so long ago, it almost seemed like "Free" money if that makes any sense.

It's a great deal, I wouldn't 4 because I dont know if I could use 4 within the time frame just sailing with NCL, but they are transferable so that makes it a little easier to get "rid" of them hehe :)

Classic marketing, tell people they are getting something they are not.

This has been discused ever since the credits have been available.

People still fall for for it.

Cruise credits cost $150, seems now they cost a bit less if you buy in bulk.

There is no OBC never has been.

The benifits is all at time of booking in the form of increased value and reduced deposit

The benifits is all at time of booking in the form of increased value and reduced deposit

There is obc, it is applied on the cruise you are currently on, not the future one

And the fcc works as a reduced deposit as well

They are telling people exactly what they are getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is obc, it is applied on the cruise you are currently on, not the future one

And the fcc works as a reduced deposit as well

The OBC they give you can be used towards the FCC. So if you buy 1 at $250 and get the $100 OBC and buy nothing else on that cruise, your final bill will be $150. So you pay $150 for a $250 deposit on your next cruise. I always looked at it as getting $100 off my next cruise. Now it's a little more if you buy multiple.

They tell people they are getting OBC to spend on the current cruise. They never tell people that they can just use it as an immediate discount on the price of the FCR/CND, and they don't need to buy anything else on board. They always say that they will give you $100 (or $125) to spend on excursions, spa treatments, specialty dining, etc. etc. etc. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice program from NCL, but the way I have seen some future cruise reps sell this thing on board is downright disgusting. :mad:

If I want to pay for my next 4 cruise deposits at $250 each, and get $500 off my next watch.... that's up to me!

:D

Stephen