HAL pays gratuties.....

Krazy Kruizers

I just made final payment Sept 1 for upcoming cruise - it was the actual final payment date.

today, while browsing through the site, I notice my sailing is under the ONE WEEK SALE - gratuities paid - and to boot, the pricing is exactly the same as it was prior to this (the base cabin rates shown, I did not actually put in a dummy booking for my cabin category).

So I emailed my TA - not sure if he can get me this prepaid gratuity deal - the cruise itself would not need to be repriced, I would even accept OBC in lieu...

Anyone know what my chances are of success?

Carol

You should do a dummy booking to see where you stand. Sometimes when you look at the page that shows the cabins and starting prices, the starting prices are for guarantees and sometimes the starting prices are for choosing a cabin (lowest grade for that level). You can't tell which way they're listing the price until you do a dummy booking.

The Southampton/Southampton segment of the 2016 Passage to the Far East was NOT listed as part of the promo, but my TA called and found that it actually was included. However, the catch: Final payment is due in October, but we entered the $1750 "penalty phase" on September 10, so it would actually cost me an extra $725. No, thank you HAL... Way to treat your customers.

My Ta will try again in the next couple of days because if one calls three times, one often gets three different answers.

I repeat what I have said previously......

there is nothing free on a cruise ship.

then I feel lucky, as I got this promo practically free!

the price of my cruise had not gone up from my time of booking (in fact it had already gone down $24 once, and remained at that pricing - I am past final payment, but was able to add this ONE WEEK SALE promotion of gratuities paid - on a 17 day cruise that is a pretty significant amount for 2 people.

However, they took my Welcome home offer, rebook within 60 days (received once home from my last cruise, when I jumped on this cruise) - because they said the offer is no longer valid, even though my booking number does not change. So I gave up $100 to get $391 - not too shabby.. My other OBCs are still in place (FCD, TA etc) .

I find it interesting that my sailing never changed in price when they added this promotion!

Carol

Let us know if HAL does anything for you.

yes, read the post previous to this one.

My TA got me the promotion added, even though I am after final payment - my booking number did not change - nor did any pricing on this cruise! As mentioned above, a while ago this cruise went down $24 LOL - with this promo, prices remained at that level (I have been checking faithfully up to final payment) .. I did have to give up the welcome back home, rebook within 60 days OBC ($100) but I now have $391 worth of gratuities paid by HAL.... All my other OBCs remain intact, as they are not tied/related to promotions.

I guess I got lucky on this sailing.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

then I feel lucky, as I got this promo practically free!

the price of my cruise had not gone up from my time of booking (in fact it had already gone down $24 once, and remained at that pricing - I am past final payment, but was able to add this ONE WEEK SALE promotion of gratuities paid - on a 17 day cruise that is a pretty significant amount for 2 people.

However, they took my Welcome home offer, rebook within 60 days (received once home from my last cruise, when I jumped on this cruise) - because they said the offer is no longer valid, even though my booking number does not change. So I gave up $100 to get $391 - not too shabby.. My other OBCs are still in place (FCD, TA etc) .

I find it interesting that my sailing never changed in price when they added this promotion!

Carol

Sometimes promotions kick in a price increase, sometimes they don't. As an earlier poster said, it's a bit of a c*** shoot.

Why is the Canadian dollar so weak against other currencies at the moment?

Primarily because both countries, (Canada & Australia), are to a large extent resource based, and resources have tanked.

(I sure wish we'd've purchased US dollars back when the Canadian dollar was worth $1.06 US.)

Primarily because both countries, (Canada & Australia), are to a large extent resource based, and resources have tanked.

(I sure wish we'd've purchased US dollars back when the Canadian dollar was worth $1.06 US.)

I actually remember that. I imagine there was a lot of foreign currency purchasing at that point. It didn't last all that long.

I have a USD bank account, and for a long time I never thought twice about transferring from my CDN to the USD. I had more than enough stashed away to cover several cruise costs. My USD bank account now contains $27.34:o and that amount is not likely to grow any time soon.

Everything is cyclical. The cycle will change either sooner or later.

cycles can last for years :eek:

and the current economical cycle does not point the way for the loonie to rise, in fact it may go down more:(

I have been in the finance industry long enough to know about cyclical and how long cycles can take to change.

cycles can last for years :eek:

and the current economical cycle does not point the way for the loonie to rise, in fact it may go down more:(

I have been in the finance industry long enough to know about cyclical and how long cycles can take to change.

Indeed....... Thus my use of 'sooner or later'.

If only any of us could predict in advance the turn of the cycle, we'd be able to buy a cruise ship for ourselves. :D

Edited by sail7seas

Our Panama cruise at the end of September qualifies for this sale. Just called our TA and she said it was only for new bookings. I pushed her a bit as we are in a Signature suite and would love to have the Internet minutes. She's going to try HAL tomorrow and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

good luck with that! I tried for 2 days and was told again and again just rebook... yeah right!

Edited by chloes nana

I just made final payment Sept 1 for upcoming cruise - it was the actual final payment date.

today, while browsing through the site, I notice my sailing is under the ONE WEEK SALE - gratuities paid - and to boot, the pricing is exactly the same as it was prior to this (the base cabin rates shown, I did not actually put in a dummy booking for my cabin category).

So I emailed my TA - not sure if he can get me this prepaid gratuity deal - the cruise itself would not need to be repriced, I would even accept OBC in lieu...

Carol

a big fat zero

Edited by chloes nana

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzadog View Post

Our Panama cruise at the end of September qualifies for this sale. Just called our TA and she said it was only for new bookings. I pushed her a bit as we are in a Signature suite and would love to have the Internet minutes. She's going to try HAL tomorrow and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

From how I read the terms and conditions : the reduced deposit ONLY is applicable only to new bookings. The wording of the paid gratuities does not reference new bookings only in its sentence. On an existing booking, you cannot have HAL refund your deposit back diwn to reduced amount - it is untouchable...

I had used FCDs for my deposit anyway, so was not concerned. $200 had been holding my booking, and I am past final payment anyway!

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

Carol

your dates sound exactly like the cruise i just booked. our final payment was due sept 1st and we booked thru HAL. when i called they said there was nothing they could do short of us cancelling and rebooking which would cause us to lose $1400.

I mean its worth a try asking but in my opinion the chance of success is quite low. But you never know, TAs can sometimes pull strings or offer something to soften the blow.

HAL certainly wasn't willing to offer me anything.

your dates sound exactly like the cruise i just booked. our final payment was due sept 1st and we booked thru HAL. when i called they said there was nothing they could do short of us cancelling and rebooking which would cause us to lose $1400.

I mean its worth a try asking but in my opinion the chance of success is quite low. But you never know, TAs can sometimes pull strings or offer something to soften the blow.

HAL certainly wasn't willing to offer me anything.

it is possible my TA "rebooked" , but I did retain my original booking number...perhaps that is why I lost my welcome back, book again OBC - all my shore excursions remain intact with the original booking.

Carol

it is possible my TA "rebooked" , but I did retain my original booking number...perhaps that is why I lost my welcome back, book again OBC - all my shore excursions remain intact with the original booking.

Carol

Nope, your TA got it for you and the loss of that OBC was because of that. If they had re-booked you, your booking number would be different and excursions gone. Your TA did a good job for you. I'd hang on to them for a long long time :)

Nope, your TA got it for you and the loss of that OBC was because of that. If they had re-booked you, your booking number would be different and excursions gone. Your TA did a good job for you. I'd hang on to them for a long long time :)

thanks, and it is good to know we have a great TA - we travel quite a bit and our TA has always gone to bat for us and been successful. And the added bonus is that the Ta is always available, pretty much 24/7 (OK I let the guy get some sleep!:p) as he works from home, but is associated with a well known large agency.

Carol