Did Koningsdam Jan 22, 2017 charter mess up your plans?

blizzardboy

I know a whole-ship charter is money in the bank, but taking a week out of the first full month of the Koningsdam's 2017 inaugural North American visit sure screwed up our plans for a 14-day Collector. It's not like the week wouldn't sell out anyway. It's a shame HAL took that week away from regular HAL cruisers wanting to check out the new ship.

The last 2 weeks of January or Feb work best for St. Jean's work schedule (yes, I'm a kept man), but the K'dam switches to 10 or 11 day runs in Feb, so maybe next the year. Just wondered if anyone else was out there to commiserate with me? Going to have to make do with a couple weeks on the Nieuw Amsterdam instead.

Edited by blizzardboy

We've booked B2B 14 days for Feb. 5. It's been mentioned here that RSVP will most likely also charter Koningsdam for a 7 day cruise in February. So we won't be setting our heart on these dates until much closer to sailing. And if we have to switch, I'm hoping that if I throw a really big tantrum, we might get some perks to move. Not counting on it, but one never knows.

Sorry that your cruise plans were messed up. You're right that starting Feb. 19 they have 10/11 day cruises scheduled. Hope you find another itinerary that suits your schedules.

Is it an RSVP charter. They certainly have been one of HAL's most loyal customers, although they have gotten too big for HAL's pre-Konigsdam ships.

If that is their charter, I'm relieved as I was anticipating having to adjust my February plans.

Roy

Is it an RSVP charter. They certainly have been one of HAL's most loyal customers, although they have gotten too big for HAL's pre-Konigsdam ships.

If that is their charter, I'm relieved as I was anticipating having to adjust my February plans.

Roy

No, it's a "Blues Cruise" charter.

Roy

I doubt it, RSVP does its Caribbean charters in February.

No, it's a "Blues Cruise" charter.

I guess I should have read to the end of the thread. ;)

Blues cruises are also loyal HAL customers.

Edited by Boytjie

I doubt it, RSVP does its Caribbean charters in February.

I guess I should have read to the end of the thread. ;)

Blues cruises are also loyal HAL customers.

Peter, do you have a feel for when RSVP typically announces their charters?

Roy

Sorry this has happened to you.

We had booked the Nieuw Amsterdam for a Collectors Cruise the first couple of weeks in November 2015. Had also booked hotels and air fare. Then suddenly HAL decided to keep the Nieuw Amsterdam longer in Europe.

Screwed up our plans.

And this is not the first time this has happened to us.

You are right -- if HAL can do a charter which will give them more money -- HAL will do so. HAL doesn't care about how many of us may not be happy with their decisions.

Money Talks!!

Sorry this has happened to you.

We had booked the Nieuw Amsterdam for a Collectors Cruise the first couple of weeks in November 2015. Had also booked hotels and air fare. Then suddenly HAL decided to keep the Nieuw Amsterdam longer in Europe.

Screwed up our plans.

And this is not the first time this has happened to us.

You are right -- if HAL can do a charter which will give them more money -- HAL will do so. HAL doesn't care about how many of us may not be happy with their decisions.

Money Talks!!

Some of us are quite happy with this decision.

Us Bluescruisers have known about the charter on the Koningsdam for quite a while now. The pre book for the charter is in a week, which will have most of the cruise sold out. By the January LRBC, the 2017 cruise will be completely sold.

It really is a no brainer for HAL. Fully sold. Big drinkers. Folks who buy photos and go on excursions. The crew and staff work their butts off. Crew will make more money on one week of the blues cruise than several regular snooze cruises.

HAL is very aggressive at chartering ships. It us a huge source of revenue.

Edited by sun~

You would think that if the Bluescruisers already know which ship and when they will be running a charter, then RSVP most likely also knows this information for their Koningsdam cruise. It would be very helpful if they could get the information out so that other cruisers could make proper plans.

The January LRBC has been very predictable for the past several years. It sells out on pre books and rarely goes to public sale. I do think that is the biggest difference between LRBC and other charters, even successful ones like RSVP.

I would bet the next couple of years are already booked on the Konginsdam around the 2 or 3rd week in January.

I know RSVP goes on different ships and different weeks. The organizers probably like to mix things up a bit.

LRBC organizers will be planning out dance floors were a huge number of seats are taken out of the show room and a pool gets covered. Each different ship means new challenges. There are staff and crew who are specifically on board to work the cruise. For LRBC organizers it is easier to keep with a same/similar ship.

Peter, do you have a feel for when RSVP typically announces their charters?

Roy

RSVP announces their cruises one year out: they would announce the next February Caribbean cruise on the current February cruise.

While on the Regal Princess this February they announced the February 2016 cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I know RSVP goes on different ships and different weeks. The organizers probably like to mix things up a bit.

The RSVP Caribbean cruises are in February - the specific week may vary. RSVP has mainly chartered HAL ships in recent years but there has been demand for something different and so they chartered the MSC Divina in 2014 and the Regal Princess in 2015.

It did not take long into the Divina cruise for people to voice a strong preference to go back to HAL!

The Regal Princess was also a new ship and it was fairly well received.

Us Bluescruisers have known about the charter on the Koningsdam for quite a while now. The pre book for the charter is in a week, which will have most of the cruise sold out. By the January LRBC, the 2017 cruise will be completely sold.

It really is a no brainer for HAL. Fully sold. Big drinkers. Folks who buy photos and go on excursions. The crew and staff work their butts off. Crew will make more money on one week of the blues cruise than several regular snooze cruises.

HAL is very aggressive at chartering ships. It us a huge source of revenue.

I've not sailed on a Blues Cruise (BC), but from what I understand, if you're not a previous Blues Cruiser, getting a Neptune Suite is pretty tough. I plan to throw my $500 hat in the ring on the 22nd just to see what happens next spring when they announce artists, pricing, etc. As much as I love the blues, and a good party, I have to keep St. Jean happy in her accommodations (she loves those aft wraps!). We're looking at cruising the week prior as well. We have a 14-day Collector booked on the K-dam leaving on Jan 8 that we had about decided to cancel since we really like to wait a little longer after the Holidays to leave, but I think I'll hold off since it would keep our cabin choice open for the week before the BC, should a comparable Suite be available for the BC. Any thoughts on whether we have a chance at booking a Suite on the BC?

I've not sailed on a Blues Cruise (BC), but from what I understand, if you're not a previous Blues Cruiser, getting a Neptune Suite is pretty tough. I plan to throw my $500 hat in the ring on the 22nd just to see what happens next spring when they announce artists, pricing, etc. As much as I love the blues, and a good party, I have to keep St. Jean happy in her accommodations (she loves those aft wraps!). We're looking at cruising the week prior as well. We have a 14-day Collector booked on the K-dam leaving on Jan 8 that we had about decided to cancel since we really like to wait a little longer after the Holidays to leave, but I think I'll hold off since it would keep our cabin choice open for the week before the BC, should a comparable Suite be available for the BC. Any thoughts on whether we have a chance at booking a Suite on the BC?

Chances of an aft suite would be slim for a newbie - but there's still a few cabins available on the cruise late next month. Do that one and it jumps you up to a higher priority for Jan '17.

Chances of an aft suite would be slim for a newbie - but there's still a few cabins available on the cruise late next month. Do that one and it jumps you up to a higher priority for Jan '17.

Would love to, but Mom-in-law's Birthday Bash happening in Vegas. There's no price to be placed on domestic harmony! On the Oo'dam in January, so going to have roll the dice on beginners' luck.

A Neptune suite. Zero chance. I am in group 1 and with seven LRBCs, I can't get one. It truly doesn't matter on the blues cruise. It really is one cruise that you only in the cabin to get 4 or 5 hours of sleep. You will be able to get a pricier balcony cabin. As a newbie, even with a pre-book, you will have very few cabins to choose from. The least desirable cabins are the most expensive balcony cabins. Insides and suites go in the first few days of the booking days. Only those who have been on at least 7 cruises will have a crack at those cabins.

We always get our cabin directly under the speakers on deck 8 😎

As dakrewser mentioned if you book an October cruise, you will be a little higher on the pecking order for January.

The atmosphere on a blues cruise is nothing like a snooze cruise. The ship is only a shell. It is completely taken over. So throw most of what you know about cruising out the window. Do check the videos on the LRBC website.

• 2 weeks later...