Insurance and Cancellation

BosoxI

I had the same issue as the op before my last trip and I was able to speak to a representative at insuremytrip who gave me the names of several insurance companies that do not have a look back period for NONTRAVELLING family members. I wish I could remember the name of the one I used to be more of a help to you. If you call the number on the website they are super helpful. Also with credit cards I really woul like to hear from someone that filed a claim and was sucessfull in getting money back. I have Barclay travel card and this also seems to have good coverage however I am always the skeptic and buy additional coverage

Purple - The charge - now actually $95 is the renewal charge. Thus you pay it annually. It covers up to the 10K limit card holders. That would be you and your spouse or whoever you had as an authorized card holder. Suggest you go on the Website for chase Sapphire Preferred and read not only the overview but the details. FWIW - I do not work for Chase but do have the card and have collected on benefit from them. As to the policy you bought - every policy is different. I am not an expert here, only a retired teacher who travels most of the year. Need to read the fine print, but would guess a death in immediate family is a definite maybe. An extended family member can almost guarantee no, but let us know what they say.

Ahhhh. Well listen. This was GREAT information for me for future cruises. I do pay the $95 but had NO idea it offered that high of coverage and now, thanks to you, I won't have to spend more on trip insurance. Thank you!

I tend to be a cynic and this seems to be too good to be true.

$95 is less than we pay for insurance for even one cruise.

I believe it. I've had the card for a few years and they are phenomenal. I don't work for them either. ;) Just love the benefits I know about, and apparently didn't know about. But honestly, I will now be charging every future trip with my Sapphire card for this included insurance coverage.

It is $10K per claim on trip insurance. No medivac. Wife and I are lucky to have full coverage for that on our regular health insurance. Rental Insurance is primary not secondary coverage up to the cost of the car. That is the big difference. Also lost and delayed baggage and trip coverage. Lost luggage up to $3000.

Have only ever collected on trip delay and lost luggage. http://www.chase.com/online/sapphire/credit-card-benefits

With something like this for free in year one and $79 in following years wonder way any cruiser from the US would buy trip insurance.

Hi Az tchr,

I have the same card, and think the included trip insurance is a pretty good deal when traveling domestic in the US. However, when it comes to Cruises, it's not fully inclusive. When I asked about this... my understanding is, the coverage does not cover medi-vac, which could run into six figures if needed.

I realize the chances of medi-vac being needed are slim, but - we needed it several years ago, and I was *very* thankful we had coverage. That's why we always buy cruise specific insurance that covers medi-vac. To me, that's the charge that will seriously hurt you financially, should you ever need it.

Also, in many cases when cruising, you may be considered "out of the country", and coverage can get sketchy with general travel insurance. Cruise specific insurance should cover you.

Hope this helps !

To the OP,I am sorry for your troubles and do pray for the best. As for insurance here in the US I have been very satisfied with AIG, although if you did not purchase it when you booked your trip existing conditions are not covered. My brother is in insurance and has said he knows of no company that would pay on trip cancelation where as you cancelled on any pre-existing condition for anyone. Sorry, wish I could give you better news.

Andy - I buy a medevac policy for about $4 a day per person for my adult children and myself. It covers medical costs and transport up to 200K. Wife and I are fortunate to have medical coverage that has a $1000 deductible when overseas and then pays 100% of any costs. Agree the medevac is not likely, but $4 per day is cheap insurance. I think the cruise policies and their ton of exclusions are not. I can handle $1000 but a medevac flight from ???? would be a serious hurt.

The best coverage change by Chase is their car rental coverage is now primary.

Hi Az tchr,

my understanding is, the coverage does not cover medi-vac, which could run into six figures if needed.

I realize the chances of medi-vac being needed are slim, but - we needed it several years ago, and I was *very* thankful we had coverage. That's why we always buy cruise specific insurance that covers medi-vac. To me, that's the charge that will seriously hurt you financially, should you ever need it.

QUOTE]

For medical evacuation we have a policy with MedJet Assist. (It's a US company) Look at it. It's a really good policy and a yearly policy is about $350-395 for both me & my husband.

If you had the credit card coverage and MedJet, I would think you'd have good coverage for a cheaper cost. chris

I have had to use trip insurance 5 times for cruises. I have never had trouble with them paying my claim. My mother had breast cancer and was diagnosed at time of purchase and died just prior to sailing. My father had known heart disease and had a heart attack right before another sailing. My husband has cancer and we have 3 cruises planned. We decided we need to continue to vacation and enjoy life.

We are in the sandwich generation and have to balance what we do as we care for our aging parents as well as dealing with our own health issues. I do always purchase insurance at the time of booking but I know people who find policies before final payment.

My advice is to do what makes you feel comfortable an explore your options. Our vacation times rejuvenate us enough to deal with what ever comes our way.

I have had to use trip insurance 5 times for cruises. I have never had trouble with them paying my claim. My mother had breast cancer and was diagnosed at time of purchase and died just prior to sailing. My father had known heart disease and had a heart attack right before another sailing. My husband has cancer and we have 3 cruises planned. We decided we need to continue to vacation and enjoy life.

We are in the sandwich generation and have to balance what we do as we care for our aging parents as well as dealing with our own health issues. I do always purchase insurance at the time of booking but I know people who find policies before final payment.

My advice is to do what makes you feel comfortable an explore your options. Our vacation times rejuvenate us enough to deal with what ever comes our way.

AMEN sister!

To the OP,I am sorry for your troubles and do pray for the best. As for insurance here in the US I have been very satisfied with AIG, although if you did not purchase it when you booked your trip existing conditions are not covered. My brother is in insurance and has said he knows of no company that would pay on trip cancelation where as you cancelled on any pre-existing condition for anyone. Sorry, wish I could give you better news.

This is not accurate. I purchased travel insurance late this past summer as my Father in law had lung cancer and it was progressing rapidly. We puchased from CSA Travel Protection Custom which does not have a look back period for preexisting conditions for non traveling family members. I called and confirmed this prior to the purchase. We bought it one week prior to our trip.

Hi Az tchr,

I have the same card, and think the included trip insurance is a pretty good deal when traveling domestic in the US. However, when it comes to Cruises, it's not fully inclusive. When I asked about this... my understanding is, the coverage does not cover medi-vac, which could run into six figures if needed.

Also, in many cases when cruising, you may be considered "out of the country", and coverage can get sketchy with general travel insurance. Cruise specific insurance should cover you.

Hope this helps !

Also, while this would cover trip cancellation it doesn't seem to cover ANY medical expenses that might be incurred.

We have Platinum Amex cards which provide for Medivac but our medical insurance only covers us in the U S.

So we'd be rolling the dice on that one.

One last question- does anyone know if you have to charge the ENTIRE trip on the card to be covered. (We have deposits on 4 future cruised already that we made with the Amex )

One last question- does anyone know if you have to charge the ENTIRE trip on the card to be covered. (We have deposits on 4 future cruised already that we made with the Amex )

Everything I have read in my various cards T&C's do require FULL PAYMENT to be made to their card to get the coverage.

So if you pay a deposit while on board with one card and later put the balance to a card for the insurance, you may not be covered.

I'd assume this is across the board, to prevent people from using multiple cards then filing multiple claims for the same incident.

Edited by cle-guy

This is not accurate. I purchased travel insurance late this past summer as my Father in law had lung cancer and it was progressing rapidly. We puchased from CSA Travel Protection Custom which does not have a look back period for preexisting conditions for non traveling family members. I called and confirmed this prior to the purchase. We bought it one week prior to our trip.

Did you also book your cruise at that time, or was your cruise booked many weeks/months prior? :confused: The CSA Custom Luxe policy specifies that the plan be purchased either at the time of booking or within 24 hours of final payment.

Edited by Iamthesea

If you plan to use the Chase Sapphire benefits, it's very important to read the brochure that comes with the card; I believe the same information is available on line. On page 18 of the brochure, the definition of a covered trip is "any pre-paid tour, trip or vacation when some (my bold) portion of the cost of such travel arrangements...has been charged to your account." So, you only have to use the card for some portion of the cost of the trip. However, we try to put almost everything we can on the card due to the fact that double points are granted for travel expenses.

Chase Sapphire pre-existing condition requirement (page 19): "Illness, disease or accidental injury of you, your traveling companion, your immediate family member or the immediate family member of your traveling companion, for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the 60-day period immediately prior to the purchase of a covered trip. The taking of prescription drugs or medication for a controlled condition throughout the 60-day period will not be considered to be a treatment of illness or disease."

I am in no way connected professionally to Chase Sapphire. I am very happy

cardholder.

Betsy

Edited by BBsails
Add end quote

Did you also book your cruise at that time, or was your cruise booked many weeks/months prior? :confused: The CSA Custom Luxe policy specifies that the plan be purchased either at the time of booking or within 24 hours of final payment.

We purchased the cruise 6 months prior to this. The insurance we bought one week prior to travel. If worried about preexisting conditions of me, my spouse or any travel companion then I would have had to buy within so many days of booking however I was only concerned about a family member not traveling. This insurance does not look back at the history of family members who were not booked to travel with you.

If you plan to use the Chase Sapphire benefits, it's very important to read the brochure that comes with the card; I believe the same information is available on line. On page 18 of the brochure, the definition of a covered trip is "any pre-paid tour, trip or vacation when some (my bold) portion of the cost of such travel arrangements...has been charged to your account." So, you only have to use the card for some portion of the cost of the trip. However, we try to put almost everything we can on the card due to the fact that double points are granted for travel expenses.

Chase Sapphire pre-existing condition requirement (page 19): "Illness, disease or accidental injury of you, your traveling companion, your immediate family member or the immediate family member of your traveling companion, for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the 60-day period immediately prior to the purchase of a covered trip. The taking of prescription drugs or medication for a controlled condition throughout the 60-day period will not be considered to be a treatment of illness or disease."

I am in no way connected professionally to Chase Sapphire. I am very happy

cardholder.

Betsy

Thanks Betsy!

So the trip cancellation coverage DOES have a pre-existing condition clause?

:confused:

Your link doesn't work but when I looked up Chase Sappire Preferred it's $95 a year.

I haven't had a chance to look up the insurance benefits on the card yet.

EDIT: It DOES say that if you charge the trip on the card you get up to $10,000 in reimbursed expenses.

TRIP CANCELLATION/TRIP INTERRUPTION INSURANCE

If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.

I tend to be a cynic and this seems to be too good to be true.

$95 is less than we pay for insurance for even one cruise.

Who's sickness qualifies...just one of the passengers...? What about parents, children?

From the CSP benefits brochure, soxfan 2013

Benefit Information for Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption (p. 12 and p. 14). Who is covered?

"You, the primary insured person, and your immediate family members are automatically covered. Immediate family member means your spouse or domestic partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews."

Seems fairly inclusive to me. No coverage for pets, though.

Betsy

• 1 month later...
From the CSP benefits brochure, soxfan 2013

Benefit Information for Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption (p. 12 and p. 14). Who is covered?

"You, the primary insured person, and your immediate family members are automatically covered. Immediate family member means your spouse or domestic partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews."

Seems fairly inclusive to me. No coverage for pets, though.

Betsy

Bringing this post back up to the top.

We are getting ready to make final payment for a couple of cruises and I am still considering getting this card.

Has anyone actually used this coverage for trip cancellation, not just luggage?

Thanks all!

The Chase Sapphire covers as discussed situations involving family members and not just the named insured. It also provides primary coverage on rental vehicles. Primary coverage very different.

Just remember you must pay for your trip on the card!

The reason this coverage seems to good to be real is payouts on travel insurance are so low (well under 50%) that many states do not allow companies based in their states to sell them or regulate to insure payouts are over 50%.

The Chase Sapphire covers as discussed situations involving family members and not just the named insured. It also provides primary coverage on rental vehicles. Primary coverage very different.

Just remember you must pay for your trip on the card!

The reason this coverage seems to good to be real is payouts on travel insurance are so low (well under 50%) that many states do not allow companies based in their states to sell them or regulate to insure payouts are over 50%.

I only need to pay for part of the trip on it - correct?

I only need to pay for part of the trip on it - correct?

I don't know. I know most credit card coverages require the full payment be made with the card, including deposit. I had a friend once rent a car and he used a card for coverage it had, but gave them a second card at check out to cover the gas and tolls part of his bill that were personal and not business, and he was declined coverage for some scratched they found on the car because he didn't pay in full with the card that he had coverage.

It's their easiest out in case of coverage.