Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

One approach could be blocking out individual staterooms or blocks of staterooms for a particular sailing (so, about a week) and refurbishing them. It cuts their capacity but not as much as extending the shipyard period by a week.

If they've known about this long enough they could have scheduled the refurbishments and blocked out the staterooms before bookings became available in ~April of this year.

The staterooms would still be available before and after their allocated week for refurbishment, and of course the rest of the ship is still up and running. Hotels do this but of course they have the luxury of being able to block out entire sections of a single floor at a time.

Edited by Underwatr

One approach could be blocking out individual staterooms or blocks of staterooms for a particular sailing (so, about a week) and refurbishing them. It cuts their capacity but not as much as extending the shipyard period by a week.

If they've known about this long enough they could have scheduled the refurbishments and blocked out the staterooms before bookings became available in ~April of this year.

The staterooms would still be available before and after their allocated week for refurbishment, and of course the rest of the ship is still up and running. Hotels do this but of course they have the luxury of being able to block out entire sections of a single floor at a time.

Blocking out individual staterooms or blocks of staterooms for refurbishment will effect nearby staterooms. For example, the last category to be refurbished is Inside Cabins...how many decks have Inside Cabins - located right in the center hallway?

"If they've known about this..." Well, of course they knew: it's their plan. Teasing details trickling out, revealing poor planning shrouded in drama, clothed in pleasing renderings of a refit that will take years to complete are to me disappointing.

Edited by Salacia

I booked a BY cabin on deck 5 for next summer a few weeks ago in anticipation of a refurbished room. We're a bit miffed but hey-ho we'll get to see the other refurbs such as Kings Court and the Winter Garden.

Ray, is it official that Kings Court and the Winter Garden will be refurbished during the dry dock? Thanks, -S

Blocking out individual staterooms or blocks of staterooms for refurbishment will effect nearby staterooms. For example, the last category to be refurbished is Inside Cabins...how many decks have Inside Cabins - located right in the center hallway?

"If they've known about this..." Well, of course they knew: it's their plan. Teasing details trickling out, revealing poor planning shrouded in drama, clothed in pleasing renderings of a refit that will take years to complete are to me disappointing.

Good description!

I don't think they'll follow the grades of cabins in the refit. It would make more sense and be better for both worker convenience and passenger comfort if they did it area-by-area. So what if some insides are done before some balconies? What's the good of having a refurbished balcony if there's disruption and noise right across the hall?

Does anyone remember all the fuss about QE2's "crossing from hell" when they finished work that hadn't been done when she came out of drydock? There were stories of rolls of carpeting everywhere (it's ALWAYS about the carpets!) and workers swarming around public areas. When she arrived in NYC, it was on the news, and they showed a short clip of the bar that was being changed into the Chart Room. As soon as that story ended, my phone rang. It was Mom, who said, "Did you see the story about QE2? They got rid of that ugly carpet!" So it really is all about the carpets. :D

Does anyone remember all the fuss about QE2's "crossing from hell" when they finished work that hadn't been done when she came out of drydock? There were stories of rolls of carpeting everywhere (it's ALWAYS about the carpets!) and workers swarming around public areas. When she arrived in NYC, it was on the news, and they showed a short clip of the bar that was being changed into the Chart Room. As soon as that story ended, my phone rang. It was Mom, who said, "Did you see the story about QE2? They got rid of that ugly carpet!" So it really is all about the carpets. :D

From what I recall, the biggest complaints were about plumbing problems and toilet backups. (The bathrooms were replaced on pretty much all cabins). The crowded corridors on 4 and 5 Deck (especially 5 Deck - recall the deck numbers went up as you descended) often smelled of fuel (and occasionally sewage). Not surprisingly, the bottom 2 decks were the last to be refit. Also, I'm sure being on the bottom(ish) of the ship and having the densest passenger load contributed to the well-publicized exploding toilet problems.

Also, not surprising was that reports from Grill passengers, who were ensconced on upper decks, praised the remodel and had no real idea what was happening on the bottom two decks - especially since it was a crossing, and with no ports or tenders so no need to go below Deck 3 (unless they needed the Infirmary) they'd not see it.

All-in all, that was a very effective refit, although I DID miss the last vestiges of her pop design with the bright patent leather walls and the absurdity of the old Midships Lounge.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Good description!

I don't think they'll follow the grades of cabins in the refit. It would make more sense and be better for both worker convenience and passenger comfort if they did it area-by-area. So what if some insides are done before some balconies? What's the good of having a refurbished balcony if there's disruption and noise right across the hall?

Thank you.

No, I don't see any joy in having a refurbished balcony while construction is going on in nearby cabins. Unfortunately, I believe that they will follow their plan of going grade by grade for the refit that they now tell us will take years to complete.

Waiting for the next shoe to drop...

At the risk of being flamed... I have a different viewpoint.

I wouldn't wish to imagine disruption... before it happens. I'll complain when any issues affect me personally, not before.

I may not be on board QM2 during the period when the refit is happening.

If I wish to avoid even the remotest chance of seeing the refit in progress, there are two other Cunard ships for me to choose from.

If I am on board QM2, I may not be in an area where a refit to cabins is occurring, and may therefore be completely unaware of it.

If I am close to an area where there is a refit of cabins going on, they won't be working at night.

Because of fire regulations, where sections of cabins are occupied by passengers, the passageway outside my cabin will not be blocked off.

Many of the inside cabins are not on the main passageways, but on separate corridors, so will be out of my sight.

If, unavoidably, there are things (tools, carpets) to one side in the corridors etc, I may have to walk around them (as I do now with discarded trays, buggies, wheelchairs).

As the cabins are upgraded, more and more people will get the welcome benefit of the upgrade. Less often will people be moaning that they had "one of the old cabins, but we paid more than Mrs. Smith who had one of the new ones".

Would I like to have seen them complete the whole thing in the dry-dock? Of course. But it was not to be sadly. That is life. I've come to accept that frequently disruption happens to get longer-term benefits.

Just my thoughts, right, ducking down now :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Thanks for your comments, Pepper. As always, very useful. Since I do not sail any other ship anymore than the QM2, I hope all this is going to be handled in the smooth and effective way that I know Cunard for. It would be ideal to have a precise plan, date by date, of what is going to be done, where and when, and all this before booking :D ..., but wait and see and lets hope for the best.

No need for ducking down, your comments seem very sensible to me. It would have been an impossible task to refit every cabin during a dry dock and this seems a reasonable compromise.

I have sailed recently and I would happily sail in an old type cabin again anytime.

At the risk of being flamed... I have a different viewpoint.

I wouldn't wish to imagine disruption... before it happens. I'll complain when any issues affect me personally, not before.

I may not be on board QM2 during the period when the refit is happening.

If I wish to avoid even the remotest chance of seeing the refit in progress, there are two other Cunard ships for me to choose from.

If I am on board QM2, I may not be in an area where a refit to cabins is occurring, and may therefore be completely unaware of it.

If I am close to an area where there is a refit of cabins going on, they won't be working at night.

Because of fire regulations, where sections of cabins are occupied by passengers, the passageway outside my cabin will not be blocked off.

Many of the inside cabins are not on the main passageways, but on separate corridors, so will be out of my sight.

If, unavoidably, there are things (tools, carpets) to one side in the corridors etc, I may have to walk around them (as I do now with discarded trays, buggies, wheelchairs).

As the cabins are upgraded, more and more people will get the welcome benefit of the upgrade. Less often will people be moaning that they had "one of the old cabins, but we paid more than Mrs. Smith who had one of the new ones".

Would I like to have seen them complete the whole thing in the dry-dock? Of course. But it was not to be sadly. That is life. I've come to accept that frequently disruption happens to get longer-term benefits.

Just my thoughts, right, ducking down now :) .

Hi Pepper. I appreciate your thinking; I see your point of view, and I agree that "frequently disruption happens to get longer-term benefits."

However, when paying dearly in time and money for a vacation, I try to steer clear of disruption - especially since our extensive home renovation has me craving peace and quiet. I was very much looking forward to a peaceful QM2 round trip NY-Caribbean cruise next year after the re-fit which I believed (erroneously as we now know) would be completed in dry dock.

So, as much as I wish I could be as comfortable as you are with the conditions entailed in a prolonged refit, but I'm sorry to say my reaction is one of disappointment and apprehension. You mentioned that you don't want to anticipate disruption before it happens, which I think is generally a good policy. If there is a way to refurbish half the balcony cabins and all the inside, atrium and window cabins while the ship is in service without disruption to normal ship services, no doubt Cunard will make that known. But if disruption is inevitable, passengers need to be so advised prior to booking, in my opinion.

Happy sails,

Salacia

Given that the Christmas cruise normally sells out and it would require paying workers over Christmas and New Years, it probably has the greatest possibility of NOT having any work done while at sea.

The QM2 round trip NY-Caribbean cruise we were thinking of booking is 26November - 8 December, 2016. I have no idea what refurbishment work - if any, will be underway during that cruise or any other cruise through 2017. I'm sure there must be a work schedule somewhere which will hopefully be made known to prospective passengers so we won't have to guess :)

Edited by Salacia

Thanks for your comments, Pepper. As always, very useful. Since I do not sail any other ship anymore than the QM2, I hope all this is going to be handled in the smooth and effective way that I know Cunard for. It would be ideal to have a precise plan, date by date, of what is going to be done, where and when, and all this before booking :D ..., but wait and see and lets hope for the best.
Hi Cats2010,

Thank you for your kind comment.

I too hope that this ongoing/in-service refit of some of the Britannia grade cabins will be done in a "smooth and effective way". This work will be, inevitably, visible to some of those passengers who have cabins near where the work is occurring, but not to the vast majority. But would seeing this localised work going on ruin my time on board? Of course not.

Were I to ask while booking "Will there be refit work going on near my cabin whilst I am on board?" I wouldn't be reassured by any answer I received; I am asking that question of a shoreside call-centre, or my TA.

As we know, shoreside call-centres are unaware that they have ships (they probably think they are a hotel chain or something). TAs may be given even less information.

I could be asking this question a year in advance, no-one would know/divulge (let alone guarantee) that the cabin opposite me won't be being worked on during my time on board. Work schedules speed up, they slow down.

My deck may be one where the work has been completed "All the cabins on your deck have been upgraded". Once on board I discover that the cabins on the deck above/below are being worked on.

So I'd go ahead and book regardless, 'cus I won't know until I see things for myself.

When on board, if there is minimum disruption, then so what if I have to walk past the occasional roll of carpet in a passageway. Maybe during the day, if I return to my cabin briefly, I can hear an electric drill somewhere in the distance.

Maybe I will be blissfully unaware that there is work going on at all!

As I said previously, "I'll complain when the work affects me" not before. And if I really don't want even the remotest possibility of seeing the refit in progress, I'd book a different ship (or not book at all).

Best wishes for your next voyage on board the amazing QM2 :)

No need for ducking down, your comments seem very sensible to me. It would have been an impossible task to refit every cabin during a dry dock and this seems a reasonable compromise. I have sailed recently and I would happily sail in an old type cabin again anytime.
Thank you Hattie, I agree with you; given how little time I spend in my cabin, just being on board QM2, regardless of it being a refitted cabin or not, I'd be happy.

After all, I was happy with the four cabins I had last year, and I'd be happy to have any one of them again tomorrow :) .

Happy sailings for your QV cruise :)

I don't believe so. I think they're just on RCI at present? What do we think? Are they in the same "naff" bracket as Flow Riders & dodgems with no place on a Cunard Lady or are they a welcome innovation?
Hi JollyJackTar52,

I wouldn't mind at all if my next inside cabin had one fitted, as long as I could turn it off the moment I walked into the cabin on embarkation day! ;)

(Naff, naff, naff!)

Best wishes :)

Hi Pepper. I appreciate your thinking; I see your point of view, and I agree that "frequently disruption happens to get longer-term benefits." However, when paying dearly in time and money for a vacation, I try to steer clear of disruption - especially since our extensive home renovation has me craving peace and quiet. I was very much looking forward to a peaceful QM2 round trip NY-Caribbean cruise next year after the re-fit which I believed (erroneously as we now know) would be completed in dry dock. So, as much as I wish I could be as comfortable as you are with the conditions entailed in a prolonged refit, but I'm sorry to say my reaction is one of disappointment and apprehension. You mentioned that you don't want to anticipate disruption before it happens, which I think is generally a good policy. If there is a way to refurbish half the balcony cabins and all the inside, atrium and window cabins while the ship is in service without disruption to normal ship services, no doubt Cunard will make that known. But if disruption is inevitable, passengers need to be so advised prior to booking, in my opinion.

Happy sails, Salacia

Hi Salacia,

Thank you for your thoughtful and welcome comments re: my post. I fully understand your very reasonable apprehension and caution. For the reasons I've mentioned above, I not convinced that prospective passengers could be given totally accurate, completely reliable information a long time in advance of sailing (or by shoreside even on the day of sailing ;) ).

As I see it, there are two solutions: 1. Book regardless. You may come back having had a superb time, having not even known that refit work was occurring, or if you did, it barely affected you as it was happening elsewhere. 2. If you cannot abide even the thought of refit work somewhere on board, or are convinced ("sod's law") that it will be the cabin next to yours that is being ripped apart for the whole time you are onboard, book a different cruise, or book once you know all the work has been completed.

Personally, I would go for option 1. :) (If I found, however unlikely on such a huge ship, that any work nearby was making my time on board intolerable, I'd complain long and loud until they ceased doing whatever it was that was too loud at the wrong time, or they moved me).

Go on, book your Caribbean Cruise :) . Many happy sailings and all good wishes.

It will be interesting to see how the sailings after May , book ?

Since word is now out about ongoing refurbishment of cabins on Deck 4, 5 and 6 and possibly Insides all over the ship , Cunard may offer some better rates sooner rather than latter (meaning after final) ?

We are booked for Oct 2016 but now that we know what we know , I'll be looking for a better deal if bookings slow by people waiting this thing out .

Edited by MCC retired

So far, a BZ (Forward sheltered balcony) on the December 2016 Christmas holiday hasn't gotten any cheaper.

Category BZ , that is the exact category we are booked on for 10/04/16 .

Currently booking @ OV rate :)

Not a bad deal but I expect something better may come up before Final.