Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

Adding to 3rdGenCunarders suggestions for King's Court improvements... DH strongly dislikes the fact that the workers, returning dirty dishes to a behind the scenes clean-up area, are forced to walk (with their dirty-dish carts) through the queue of people lined-up to get food. He cites this as a major design flaw, negatively affecting both passengers and food-service workers.

Our focus group also critiqued the plans for Kings Court and re-purposing of the vastly underutilized Winter Garden so these will probably be the next plans to be released. I'll be curious to see if the final designs look much different from what we were shown. But for all their flaws in their current incarnations, there are some here who have grown to like them and are not happy to see them go.

I would like to see a coffee/tea/pastry area. I would like to have an area that I can get a nice cup of something during the day or even after dinner. An ice cream area would be welcome, also.

There was water and leaks in the ceiling on deck 9 two years ago. It sounds like a chronic problem.

I can't wait to see the refit. Put me down for another TA in 2017. I'm trying the QV this time for a southerly TA. It will be interesting to compare and contrast.

Adding to 3rdGenCunarders suggestions for King's Court improvements... DH strongly dislikes the fact that the workers, returning dirty dishes to a behind the scenes clean-up area, are forced to walk (with their dirty-dish carts) through the queue of people lined-up to get food. He cites this as a major design flaw, negatively affecting both passengers and food-service workers.

Yes! How could I have forgotten to mention that?!? I hate those dirty-dish carts! They'e unsightly and they make a racket when they're trundled along.

One of the problems with KC as it's set up now is too little "back of the house" space. But if they increase that space, they lose serving and sitting space.

I would like to see a coffee/tea/pastry area. I would like to have an area that I can get a nice cup of something during the day or even after dinner. An ice cream area would be welcome, also.

There was water and leaks in the ceiling on deck 9 two years ago. It sounds like a chronic problem.

I can't wait to see the refit. Put me down for another TA in 2017. I'm trying the QV this time for a southerly TA. It will be interesting to compare and contrast.

Doesn't Sir Samuels serve coffee and pastries in the morning? You can get a "cup of something" at KC at any time, but I suspect you're looking for more along the lines of specialty coffees. Perhaps that will be the fate of the Winter Garden.

Our London focus group agreed that whatever the Winter Garden became, it shouldn't be turned into another café-esque area.

There is a plan to remodel Kings Court to improve circulation and reduce the number of entry / exit points.

We had a good debate about the merit of trays.....

Looking forward to seeing the cabin refits.

Sir Samuels already has that ?

Perhaps enhance it a bit , more like the International Cafe on Princess ships?

Sir Samuels never appears very busy when I've cruised. A few enhancements would do well.

The following is from a survey I received a while ago about possible uses for the Winter Garden in the refit:

Cunard is considering whether to change how the Winter Gardens is used, and dividing up this space to offer guests an improved choice of dining alternatives.

If you were on board again, how interested would you be in eating at, or using the following?

Healthy eating venue

Sushi restaurant

Healthy eating venue including a dedicated space for spa users (enabling spa users to book longer or full day spa packages as they could relax and dine there too)

Gastro pub

Venue with barista serving speciality teas and coffees, cakes and pastries

Seafood/oyster bar

I enjoy the ambiance and food in Britannia MDR but I also love the chance to eat in the speciality alternatives. I enjoy Todd English, I would certainly welcome another such venue like a dedicated steak house serving speciality steaks, colorado rib and porterhouse, along the lines of Smith and Wollenskys :)

Edited by robbie_3

Our focus group also critiqued the plans for Kings Court and re-purposing of the vastly underutilized Winter Garden so these will probably be the next plans to be released.

I think the next to be released will be a promise of updating the sofas in the steerage cabins. Shall we take bets on if it actually happens this time? Peter Shanks said it was coming soon after the last refit...

I think the next to be released will be a promise of updating the sofas in the steerage cabins. Shall we take bets on if it actually happens this time? Peter Shanks said it was coming soon after the last refit...

With the steerage sofas now having an additional five more years of use, let's hope they have to replace them. Hate to think what they would look like by 2021 if they did not.

With the steerage sofas now having an additional five more years of use, let's hope they have to replace them. Hate to think what they would look like by 2021 if they did not.

Looks like the sofas are here to stay for at least another 12 months...gradually phased out.

Just announced 2 minutes ago on the Cunard website:

Half of all Britannia rooms will be remastered during the dry dock. The rest will be done over the course of 2016-17.

The colour palettes look great.

Actually, it reads "Half of Britannia Balcony (emphasis mine) staterooms to be refurbished during dry-dock refit" & "All Britannia staterooms refurbished over 2016 and 2017" http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/remastered/remastered-britannia-staterooms-qm2/

My guess is they'll start with the new Britannia Club staterooms on Deck 13 and the BC staterooms on 12. The cabins that are the last to be refurbished are going to look pretty grim by 2017:eek:

They've posted an FAQ on ask Cunard listing those cabins to be refurbished in the dry-dock:

Queen Mary 2 will be refurbishing the following grades:

• All Grills Suites
  • All Britannia Club balconies on Deck 12
  • All Britannia Balconies on Deck 12, Deck 11 and Deck 8
  • All Britannia Obstructed Balconies on Deck 8
  • BU/BV Grades of Britannia Sheltered balconies on Deck 6

Queen Mary 2 will be refurbishing the following staterooms in service over 2017:

• Remaining BZ/BY Grades of Britannia Sheltered Balconies on Deck 6
  • All Britannia sheltered balconies on Deck 4 and Deck 5
  • All Britannia Ocean Views
  • All Britannia Atrium Views
  • All Britannia Insides

Link is here: https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/latest_news/QM2_refurbished_16

Hello,if like us you have held back booking QM2 waiting for the refit and you did not get a cabin that had been overhauled you would I think be rather annoyed.

Rodger.

I booked a BY cabin on deck 5 for next summer a few weeks ago in anticipation of a refurbished room. We're a bit miffed but hey-ho we'll get to see the other refurbs such as Kings Court and the Winter Garden.

I booked a BY cabin on deck 5 for next summer a few weeks ago in anticipation of a refurbished room. We're a bit miffed but hey-ho we'll get to see the other refurbs such as Kings Court and the Winter Garden.

Like you, we booked a BU stateroom on deck 4, in July this year for July next year. As soon as I got home and saw this thread I called our travel agent to see if we could move to a BU stateroom on deck 6 but, not surprisingly, deck 6 is all sold out. Never mind, as you rightly say, we'll still get to see the other changes and, in fact, we'll also get to see the brown carpets for the first time as our last few voyages have been on QE and QV.

Since they had never made any promises regarding updating of Britannia staterooms until today I don't think I'd have been disappointed.

I looked at the 2016 price for the cabin class that we've booked for this year and I can tell you, there is no discount for a non refurbished room.

If I'm understanding correctly, Cunard is planning to refurbish the following staterooms while the ship is in service sometime during 2017:

Queen Mary 2 will be refurbishing the following staterooms in service over 2017:

Remaining BZ/BY Grades of Britannia Sheltered Balconies on Deck 6

All Britannia sheltered balconies on Deck 4 and Deck 5

All Britannia Ocean Views

All Britannia Atrium Views

All Britannia Insides

I've been trying to visualize how that can be done without disruption/inconvenience to passengers :confused:

Edited by Salacia