Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

Bathrooms seem nice on the refurb, no more shower curtain. I hope that will also be the case in the regular Britannia rooms and not just the club and single rooms.

I am disappointed that most Britannia rooms won't get a refurb until 2017. The inside cabin we had last week was getting rather tired, with the lacquer on the bedside table starting to peel and the television system is already years outdated. We're hoping to do another B2B transatlantic next October so I'll be keeping an eye on the refurb and hopefully we'll be able to get one of the new rooms. If not, I hope there will be a significant enough price difference between refurb and non-refurb rooms.

Not sure the older club rooms will get the glass shower doors , thought it was just the new ones on deck 13...I hope they do though.

It's only an artists impression, it'll look better in real life. ;)

The main worry is, So now where are all these folks who don't want to conform to the evening dress code, going to hang out ?

What makes you think passengers who wish to dress casually won't be directed to this reincarnation of the Winter Garden?

The Carinthia lounge looks very promising, a good way of using the WG space. I definately will try the breakfast and lunch options. And I like the light colours, even though the palette in the new cabins is more stately.

With two more announcements coming from Cunard in December is it safe to guess that they are about KC remake and Todd English becoming Verandah?

The Carinthia lounge looks very promising, a good way of using the WG space. I definately will try the breakfast and lunch options. And I like the light colours, even though the palette in the new cabins is more stately.

With two more announcements coming from Cunard in December is it safe to guess that they are about KC remake and Todd English becoming Verandah?

The US site has two placeholders for "Queen Mary 2 Remastered" announcements on December 1st and 8th. My focus group saw proposals for KC but we were not shown any makeovers for Todd English. I'd be surprised if they did nothing to what is supposed to be their premium alternative restaurant when everything else is getting a refit. Perhaps that was tested only among those who have dined there.

The US site has two placeholders for "Queen Mary 2 Remastered" announcements on December 1st and 8th.

For certain one of those announcements will be regarding a remastered King's Court, widely anticipated by any QM2 fan.

I'm guessing the remaining announcement will be about Todd English becoming a Verandah Restaurant, but it could also be something about G32 or a remastered atrium with the elevators being removed and creating more space.

I guess we will find out soon enough!

For certain one of those announcements will be regarding a remastered King's Court, widely anticipated by any QM2 fan.

I'm guessing the remaining announcement will be about Todd English becoming a Verandah Restaurant, but it could also be something about G32 or a remastered atrium with the elevators being removed and creating more space.

I guess we will find out soon enough!

I thought they were already removing the glass elevators forward. Remove these elevators in the Atrim too? After adding new cabin capacity? Yep, removing elevators while adding passengers makes sense, right?:eek:

I thought they were already removing the glass elevators forward. Remove these elevators in the Atrim too? After adding new cabin capacity? Yep, removing elevators while adding passengers makes sense, right?:eek:
I think people originally concluded erroneously that the elevators being removed were the forward ones. No purpose in removing those but taking out the atrium elevators could allow a more thorough KC refurbishment.

I think the forward outside elevators will stay.

LOL :)

But I can see it as something they might try...providing a special corral er - venue where casual dressers could spend lottsa money, thereby enhancing revenue if not ambiance ;)

Precisely, Salacia. If people will spend lotsa money, then they will build it for sure.

The onboard experience has become so diluted and derivative that I just can't muster up enough interest anymore to book. Maybe after the refit.

;)

Precisely, Salacia. If people will spend lotsa money, then they will build it for sure.

The onboard experience has become so diluted and derivative that I just can't muster up enough interest anymore to book. Maybe after the refit.

;)

"Diluted and derivative"...yes, sadly, I think that is a good description. Question: "after the refit" - when would that be? Cunard has told us The Refit will be on-going through 2017, so I'm guessing after the refit would mean 2018?:eek:

The only way to remaster King's Court is to gut it and start over.

True! And even then it has so many limitations because of the required access to stairways and boat deck.

I don't know how much use the atrium elevators get, but removing them would stop people from arriving in the middle of KC instead of entering from the ends. If possible, they should keep those elevators working between the atrium levels as a convenience for people who can't take the stairs. But don't let them operate up to deck 7 any more.

The only way to remaster King's Court is to gut it and start over.

That's the plan shown to our focus group - although access to the boat deck will need to be maintained.

..I don't know how much use the atrium elevators get, but removing them would stop people from arriving in the middle of KC instead of entering from the ends. If possible, they should keep those elevators working between the atrium levels as a convenience for people who can't take the stairs. But don't let them operate up to deck 7 any more.

One of the problems with KC in its current configuration is that there are too many access points. One refit proposal would bring more order. As for the Atrium elevators - it would look odd to have elevator shafts going nowhere. When the glass floor was in place there was a visual connection between the Grand Lobby and the buffet. But I don't see them being able to take them out altogether for the reason you mentioned - it would be a long walk to the B or C elevators if one could not use the stairs between 2 and 3 decks.

That's the plan shown to our focus group - although access to the boat deck will need to be maintained.

One of the problems with KC in its current configuration is that there are too many access points. One refit proposal would bring more order. As for the Atrium elevators - it would look odd to have elevator shafts going nowhere. When the glass floor was in place there was a visual connection between the Grand Lobby and the buffet. But I don't see them being able to take them out altogether for the reason you mentioned - it would be a long walk to the B or C elevators if one could not use the stairs between 2 and 3 decks.

The atrium elevators don't really have elevator shafts, just the "hardware" that goes up the wall. It should be possible to reprogram the elevators to serve only the atrium decks and then cover over the atrium wall above that. That would leave only the deck 7 shafts/enclosures to be removed.

They'll have to expand the BC seating area at the expense of Britannia tables, probably. And it will be single seating BC tables at the expense of dual seating Britannia tables.

If you compare the 2 Deck Plans (before & after June 2016) you will see 2 BC Dining rooms. New one is Starboard side across from other BC Dining room , in what once was non public space, so no loss of Britannia tables at all.

Look a little closer at the diagrams. Part of the new BC is straight in on the starboard side of the D lift lobby and that area is currently Britannia seating. The starboard alcove aft of that is new seating, apparently taking up some galley space.

The existing BC is actually larger than shown on the "before" diagram, taking up about the area shown on the port side in the "after" diagram. If you go to port from the D lift lobby you end up in Britannia Club today (I don't recall the aft port alcove in the present layout but I'll take their word for that).

Look a little closer at the diagrams. Part of the new BC is straight in on the starboard side of the D lift lobby and that area is currently Britannia seating. The starboard alcove aft of that is new seating, apparently taking up some galley space.

The existing BC is actually larger than shown on the "before" diagram, taking up about the area shown on the port side in the "after" diagram. If you go to port from the D lift lobby you end up in Britannia Club today (I don't recall the aft port alcove in the present layout but I'll take their word for that).

There is a section/alcove at the back of the dining room starboard side that can be closed off by doors. When the dining room was busy on disembarkation day this summer, we hiked way way back and ended up in that room. I have a brochure for 2013 cruises, and that space appears on the deck plan, making the dining room symmetrical. And both of those little back rooms are labeled Britannia Club, just as the portside one is labeled on the "before" deck plans on the website.

Did QM2 always have BC cabins? I wonder if those two alcoves were once intended to be private dining rooms for special occasions, or overflow if one seating was oversubscribed. That's what the starboard one feels like when you're in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know? I just learned about the single cabins being added on decks 2 & 3. I went to the website to learn about booking one and they do not appear on any of the cruises scheduled after the retrofit. Does this mean that they will not be completed until later in 2016 or 2017. Why would Cunard announce these cabins long before they might be available? I find this a bit irritating. The website says that there will be more info on Dec. 1st. Maybe we'll know then.

Rick