Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

Same here - not sure which bright spark came up with this new system as the one before seemed to work well to us. Surely getting people on early (whatever time they were given) wasn't too bad as a lot of us spent money in the cafes and bars waiting for our cabins to be ready.... it also gave us all time to wander around the ship and check out the restaurants and look at the special deals for the restaurants and spa etc etc

and we had always bought at least one bottle of wine before muster:D

I think the problem has come about for two reasons; firstly the ships have got bigger (3000 to 3600 pax) and secondly people seem to be arriving earlier in greater numbers. If 3000 people each take 4 mins to get booked in that's 12000 minutes work or 200 man hours. 50 people booking the passengers in will take 4 hours to complete the task. If everybody turned up as soon as check in opened some would board in just 4 minutes while others would need to wait for four hours with average waiting being two hours.

In order to reduce the average waiting time to 30 minutes P&O have tried to devise a system which spreads peoples arrival times at the terminal by allocating check in times on the e-tickets. These times have by and large been disregarded by passengers for various reasons many easy to understand but nevertheless you cannot check everybody in instantly.

In order to encourage people to take heed of the allotted times they give out random letters to people who arrive early which will give them longer waits than people arriving at their allotted times. This seems reasonable to me. Anybody who wants to wait a minimum length of time at the terminal will simply need to turn up at that time.

A good analogy would be to think of the cruise terminal as a railway station. How many people would turn up at Euston at 12.00 noon to catch the 16.30 to Glasgow? Nobody, because it is impossible to board the train at midday and they do not want to wait four and a half hours.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I think the problem has come about for two reasons; firstly the ships have got bigger (3000 to 3600 pax) and secondly people seem to be arriving earlier in greater numbers. If 3000 people each take 4 mins to get booked in that's 12000 minutes work or 200 man hours. 50 people booking the passengers in will take 4 hours to complete the task. If everybody turned up as soon as check in opened some would board in just 4 minutes while others would need to wait for four hours with average waiting being two hours.

In order to reduce the average waiting time to 30 minutes P&O have tried to devise a system which spreads peoples arrival times at the terminal by allocating check in times on the e-tickets. These times have by and large been disregarded by passengers for various reasons many easy to understand but nevertheless you cannot check everybody in instantly.

In order to encourage people to take heed of the allotted times they give out random letters to people who arrive early which will give them longer waits than people arriving at their allotted times. This seems reasonable to me. Anybody who wants to wait a minimum length of time at the terminal will simply need to turn up at that time.

A good analogy would be to think of the cruise terminal as a railway station. How many people would turn up at Euston at 12.00 noon to catch the 16.30 to Glasgow? Nobody, because it is impossible to board the train at midday and they do not want to wait four and a half hours.

Regards John

My thoughts entirely, but you have put it so much better than me.

Somebody has already posted that a contact at P and O has said the idea is that drop off to being on board is 30mins, but that it is not working too well at the moment.

It is not working too well at the moment due to people still turning up early.

Maybe after people have kicked their heels for a while in the terminals they will start thinking, if we turned up nearer to when we should .....

Coaches by and large seem to turn up at the time expected of them, not sure why car drivers cannot.

Regards John

Good analogy, John - but I have to say that in that analogy I would be one of those arriving really early so that I would not miss my train if it were an important journey. I have had so many journeys disrupted through traffic issues/train delays so would much rather be there at the station really early and have lunch/coffee or just a sit and read than be panicking having cut it pretty tight.

Edited by Scriv

My thoughts entirely, but you have put it so much better than me.

Somebody has already posted that a contact at P and O has said the idea is that drop off to being on board is 30mins, but that it is not working too well at the moment.

It is not working too well at the moment due to people still turning up early.

Maybe after people have kicked their heels for a while in the terminals they will start thinking, if we turned up nearer to when we should .....

Coaches by and large seem to turn up at the time expected of them, not sure why car drivers cannot.

I'm quite happy sitting in the terminal for as long as it takes, it has facilities and I will just take travel-scrabble. For me this is preferable than being separated from luggage or missing the ship. Everyone has their own views which have been discussed to death, let's see what happens over the next year one way or another P&O will sort it out....eventually.

Good analogy, John - but I have to say that in that analogy I would be one of those arriving really early so that I would not miss my train if it were an important journey. I have had so many journeys disrupted through traffic issues/train delays so would much rather be there at the station really early and have lunch/coffee or just a sit and read than be panicking having cut it pretty tight.

I am in agreement with your caution and I too turn up early because of transport issues. Having done so I am fully prepared to wait a long time before check in just like Florry but the problem is that people think they can turn up early and board fairly soon. This is impossible to be organised for everybody. I buy drinks from the snack bar and sit around lounging. There is not a lot of difference between waiting in the terminal and waiting on the ship. Once on board the food is free and so are cups of tea etc. Even so you can still see people sitting around with wheely suitcases looking glum because cabins are not ready! If there were free snacks and tea, and a pre-boarding sailaway party taking place ashore with a few free drinkypoos and absolutely nothing to eat or drink etc. on board until 16.00 I suspect people will be saying why cant I board late.

Regards John

Regards John

Edited by john watson

If you were driving from afar, and have a time slot an hour or so before departure, would you plan your journey to arrive at exactly that time? It isn't always possible (translation - unusual) to drive straight into Southampton without any traffic jams. I for one would rather get there three hours early, and if it means sitting in the lounge for three hours, so be it.

I'm flying in from abroad. I booked the flight months previously because you can't take any chances. I land at Gatwick at 8am. No idea what my Boarding time will be but I'm be in southampton before noon.

If I have to wait, I'll have to wait.

I am in agreement with your caution and I too turn up early because of transport issues. Having done so I am fully prepared to wait a long time before check in just like Florry but the problem is that people think they can turn up early and board fairly soon. This is impossible to be organised for everybody. I buy drinks from the snack bar and sit around lounging. There is not a lot of difference between waiting in the terminal and waiting on the ship. Once on board the food is free and so are cups of tea etc. Even so you can still see people sitting around with wheely suitcases looking glum because cabins are not ready! If there were free snacks and tea, and a pre-boarding sailaway party taking place ashore with a few free drinkypoos and absolutely nothing to eat or drink etc. on board until 16.00 I suspect people will be saying why cant I board late.

Regards John

Regards John

Well John I have never sat around the ship looking glum waiting for my cabin to be ready. Hubby and I usually only turn up at our cabin about half an hour before muster to quickly unpack and pick up our life jackets. We find there is lots to do, lunch, a drink at the bar and then a look around the ship takes up most of the afternoon. We make the most of it but with a 3.30 pm embarkation they won't be getting our £££££££s we would spend even before we sail. So for us there is a big difference to sitting around the terminal to being on board.:eek:

If you find that lunch and drinks take up most of the afternoon this is fine. Unfortunately it is not possible to get everybody on at noon or early afternoon to be able to do the same. That is why P&O are trying to devise a system which is fair and allocating boarding times is part of this. When you say P&O will miss your money if they cannot serve drinks this is true. But a new mind set for the passengers has to be devised to make not boarding early more attractive. If drinks were more expensive first day before say 3pm it would be more attractive to buy them in the terminal while waiting. If they had a better lounge style set up in the terminal it would also help.

They could go for an airport style check in where you go through to the next stage in the pre-gate area where people are happy to stay in limbo.

To me this thread is more about devising a workable system which people will adhere to and works overall not about whether I get on early and am satisfied I got on first while others have to wait a lot longer. I know when going on cruises sometimes I get on quickly and other times it takes longer. P&O are trying to get the average down to a tolerable level with a fair system but passengers seem to be mainly focused on a me first attitude. Realistically everybody cannot get on first.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

If you find that lunch and drinks take up most of the afternoon this is fine. Unfortunately it is not possible to get everybody on at noon or early afternoon to be able to do the same. That is why P&O are trying to devise a system which is fair and allocating boarding times is part of this. When you say P&O will miss your money if they cannot serve drinks this is true. But a new mind set for the passengers has to be devised to make not boarding early more attractive. If drinks were more expensive first day before say 3pm it would be more attractive to buy them in the terminal while waiting. If they had a better lounge style set up in the terminal it would also help.

They could go for an airport style check in where you go through to the next stage in the pre-gate area where people are happy to stay in limbo.

To me this thread is more about devising a workable system which people will adhere to and works overall not about whether I get on early and am satisfied I got on first while others have to wait a lot longer. I know when going on cruises sometimes I get on quickly and other times it takes longer. P&O are trying to get the average down to a tolerable level with a fair system but passengers seem to be mainly focused on a me first attitude. Realistically everybody cannot get on first.

Regards John

I am not stupid enough to think I can swan along and be first on board. Never have been, so don't expect that to change. One of the reasons I have continued to cruise is to avoid the airport hassle and delays etc so hoping the cruising experience won't become another airport waiting game.:eek:

Well John I have never sat around the ship looking glum waiting for my cabin to be ready. Hubby and I usually only turn up at our cabin about half an hour before muster to quickly unpack and pick up our life jackets. We find there is lots to do, lunch, a drink at the bar and then a look around the ship takes up most of the afternoon. We make the most of it but with a 3.30 pm embarkation they won't be getting our £££££££s we would spend even before we sail. So for us there is a big difference to sitting around the terminal to being on board.:eek:

I know that some don't, but I get this --- ;)

If you were driving from afar, and have a time slot an hour or so before departure, would you plan your journey to arrive at exactly that time? It isn't always possible (translation - unusual) to drive straight into Southampton without any traffic jams. I for one would rather get there three hours early, and if it means sitting in the lounge for three hours, so be it.

Again, it's all about me me me.

Everyone has to travel to get to the cruise port, same as you. Whether it's on the same day, or the day before.

That's absolutely brilliant that you don't mind sitting around waiting if you arrive 3 hours early. As long as you don't expect to get on before me if I am happy to arrive at my allocated time and you have to wait.

I still don't get how P&O are to take into account everyone's travel arrangements beforehand and how they workout who should board first.

I am not stupid enough to think I can swan along and be first on board. Never have been, so don't expect that to change. One of the reasons I have continued to cruise is to avoid the airport hassle and delays etc so hoping the cruising experience won't become another airport waiting game.:eek:

I don't think anyone is saying anyone is stupid but John definitely is putting his viewpoint extremely balanced to all parties but again the only one's who care to take offence are the one's who want to completely disregard the changes and will keep making things difficult for everyone boarding as they are only thinking of themselves because they've travelled further, or longer or stayed in a hotel the night before, got kids and so the list goes on.

As for the people who think that p & O won't be getting their ££££ anymore by not boarding early. I'm guessing P&O got that weighed up a long time ago and it's not much of a concern to them.

I don't think anyone is saying anyone is stupid but John definitely is putting his viewpoint extremely balanced to all parties but again the only one's who care to take offence are the one's who want to completely disregard the changes and will keep making things difficult for everyone boarding as they are only thinking of themselves because they've travelled further, or longer or stayed in a hotel the night before, got kids and so the list goes on.

As for the people who think that p & O won't be getting their ££££ anymore by not boarding early. I'm guessing P&O got that weighed up a long time ago and it's not much of a concern to them.

I am glad you are able to stick to your allocated time. Yes maybe some of us have further to travel from hence will arrive when we can and will be prepared to wait if early like I did on Britannia last month.

My suggestion regarding an "airport style check in" was really based on again, spreading the load. Say boarding currently starts at noon; my suggestion is that they start checking people in at 10am and allowing them to go through security. Once this has been done they simply wait in a seperate area and as soon as the cruise line announces boarding is open they walk on. This would give a two hour period when a significant number of people could progress through the system and allow more people to be arriving around noon with a positive anticipation of boarding more quickly. It would require a post security waiting area with a two hour wait or less depending how early you got through. This wait would be down to personal preference.

It is funny but at airports people crave to arrive as late as possible to board.

Regards John

I am not sure an airport is a good analogy.

Waiting to board a cramped plane for a journey of many hours is not quite the same as boarding a luxury cruise liner 😉

Still don't see why they can't operate like other cruise lines where you choose your boarding time and checkin on line. Fairest way with the current pricing structure would be on a first come first serve basis for those paying select fare, once slots are full you would have to choose next available. Those paying the saver fare would have no choice much like they do now with the dining.

Again, it's all about me me me.

Everyone has to travel to get to the cruise port, same as you. Whether it's on the same day, or the day before.

That's absolutely brilliant that you don't mind sitting around waiting if you arrive 3 hours early. As long as you don't expect to get on before me if I am happy to arrive at my allocated time and you have to wait.

I still don't get how P&O are to take into account everyone's travel arrangements beforehand and how they workout who should board first.

I don't see your issue. The reason I said I was prepared to sit around for three hours, was because I was prepared to sit around for three hours, if that's the way it needs to be.

The point is, if have to make a 6 hour journey and an hour's delay will cost me thousands of pounds, I am not willing to leave myself exactly six hours and chance it. I will leave several hours' leeway. And if that means you have to walk past me sitting waiting for three hours in the waiting room, then I apologise in advance for ruining your holiday. But it won't be half as ruined as mine would have been if I'd been stuck in a traffic jam watching the ship sail.

Regards John

It's a rotten analogy, if I may say so.

Firstly, if I travel to Euston, it will be from a short distance away. Not the other end of the country. Hence there is a lower chance of irrecoverable hitches in the travel arrangements.

Secondly, if I miss the train to Glasgow, the next one leaves an hour later. Not two weeks later.

I am not sure an airport is a good analogy.

Waiting to board a cramped plane for a journey of many hours is not quite the same as boarding a luxury cruise liner 😉

Still don't see why they can't operate like other cruise lines where you choose your boarding time and checkin on line. Fairest way with the current pricing structure would be on a first come first serve basis for those paying select fare, once slots are full you would have to choose next available. Those paying the saver fare would have no choice much like they do now with the dining.

Ok, so I'm a bit confused now. It's been mentioned quite a few times about following other cruise lines but are their passengers different to P & O, in that whatever time they are allocated they stick to that time?. From what's been put on here they will not adhere to their allocated times no matter what. As I mentioned before, if you request a time and it's already been taken, are you then happy to accept your second choice and adhere to it? Highly unlikely it seems.

Some are changing tack and saying they're more than happy to sit and wait for 3 hours in the terminal if they arrive early. :rolleyes:. I hope none of you have kids if that's the case. Does Southamton not have anywhere to go for a bite to eat if you arrived thus early?

My guess is most just want to sit and wait in desperation that they'll grab someone else's slot and be well chuffed with themselves.

I can just see it now hundreds of people arriving hours beforehand and all sitting in the terminal like happy campers waiting to be called first...:D

My suggestion regarding an "airport style check in" was really based on again, spreading the load. Say boarding currently starts at noon; my suggestion is that they start checking people in at 10am and allowing them to go through security. Once this has been done they simply wait in a seperate area and as soon as the cruise line announces boarding is open they walk on. This would give a two hour period when a significant number of people could progress through the system and allow more people to be arriving around noon with a positive anticipation of boarding more quickly. It would require a post security waiting area with a two hour wait or less depending how early you got through. This wait would be down to personal preference.

It is funny but at airports people crave to arrive as late as possible to board.

Regards John

City cruise terminal has it the right way around, check-in, security, waiting area and boarding.

Royal Caribbean are getting more people on bigger ships quicker and with less hassle than P&O ever will at this rate. Took us 10 minutes in June to get on the Anthem of the seas with 4,508 passengers eager to embark.

Ok, so I'm a bit confused now. It's been mentioned quite a few times about following other cruise lines but are their passengers different to P & O, in that whatever time they are allocated they stick to that time?. From what's been put on here they will not adhere to their allocated times no matter what. As I mentioned before, if you request a time and it's already been taken, are you then happy to accept your second choice and adhere to it? Highly unlikely it seems.

Some are changing tack and saying they're more than happy to sit and wait for 3 hours in the terminal if they arrive early. :rolleyes:. I hope none of you have kids if that's the case. Does Southamton not have anywhere to go for a bite to eat if you arrived thus early?

My guess is most just want to sit and wait in desperation that they'll grab someone else's slot and be well chuffed with themselves.

I can just see it now hundreds of people arriving hours beforehand and all sitting in the terminal like happy campers waiting to be called first...:D

Other cruiselines have an online checkin where you can input credit card details etc saving time at the terminal and you are onboard alot quicker/earlier. You can either choose a checkin time or approx time of arrival. The cruise line then know how many people may arrive at any given time.

The way P&O are doing it its a bit of a lottery what checkin time you are given.