Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

That's precisely the problem. I use public transport and having spent thousands on a cruise I would not risk the tender attentions of our railway system on departure day.

Now we need to know exactly how they allocate the boarding times ;)

I agree. Posts from Britannia cruisers seem to suggest its totally random.

I dont agree that selection of check in time should be a feature of Select Fare passengers. That makes it pretty awkward for those on saver fares who have more awkward travel arrangements.

The US cruise lines sailing from southampton dont take anything away from those that book a late availability deal. You get a choice of cabin, dining and no restriction on check in time. P&O seem intent on treating those on saver deals as second class passengers when the truth is they really need them, to fill the empty cabins. In fact without them they would probably be sailing with empty cabins.

Oh and the header saying 'new improved embarkation'.......improved for whom!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

Just found this on another forum from last year, hope it's ok to repost here.

Copied from Face Book...a lady who works on check in went to a new season staff meeting today.....copied with permission of the poster...

We had a pre season meeting today at Southampton cruise port to go over what is changing for this season and one of the things that came up was pax checking in earlier than their allocated time. This is being clamped down on this season due to problems with traffic heading into port and with the larger ships being based in Southampton next year things are only going to get worse.

RCI, Celebrity & Princess are now checking in pax by deck no so for example Emerald Princess

12pm deck C & D

1pm deck L & R

2pm deck A & B

2.30pm deck E & R

Priority pax must also stick to allocated check in time but will join the fast track line when they arrive.

This decision has been made jointly by the cruise lines, the port authority & Southampton city council.

We have been told if pax continue to ignore check in times and turn up early then we are to turn them away and ask them to come back at their allocated time. They will be able to drop their luggage and park their car as normal but will then be advised to go to west quay rather than hang around terminal as there is no seating prior to check in except at ocean terminal.

We are led to believe that this will also be the case with P&O.

She also goes on to say coaches will be shedules to arrive and a set time so as to,stagger arrivals so those on coaches will board together .

Just found this on another forum from last year, hope it's ok to repost here.

Copied from Face Book...a lady who works on check in went to a new season staff meeting today.....copied with permission of the poster...

We had a pre season meeting today at Southampton cruise port to go over what is changing for this season and one of the things that came up was pax checking in earlier than their allocated time. This is being clamped down on this season due to problems with traffic heading into port and with the larger ships being based in Southampton next year things are only going to get worse.

RCI, Celebrity & Princess are now checking in pax by deck no so for example Emerald Princess

12pm deck C & D

1pm deck L & R

2pm deck A & B

2.30pm deck E & R

Priority pax must also stick to allocated check in time but will join the fast track line when they arrive.

This decision has been made jointly by the cruise lines, the port authority & Southampton city council.

We have been told if pax continue to ignore check in times and turn up early then we are to turn them away and ask them to come back at their allocated time. They will be able to drop their luggage and park their car as normal but will then be advised to go to west quay rather than hang around terminal as there is no seating prior to check in except at ocean terminal.

We are led to believe that this will also be the case with P&O.

She also goes on to say coaches will be shedules to arrive and a set time so as to,stagger arrivals so those on coaches will board together .

Oh I had to laugh. Coaches travelling from Scotland will have a set time to arrive. Social media gone mad.

There really is no way the council would interfere with cruise line arrivals. Its worth millions to them per year and the last thing they would want is cruise lines going elsewhere.

Finally I would love to see evidence of passengers being turned away because they were early. In the rain, cold, blistering sun. Wheelchair passengers, the elderley, families with kids?

Its not going to happen.

If there really is an issue with them coping with check in volumes then employ more check in staff

Edited by kevinyork

Oh I had to laugh. Coaches travelling from Scotland will have a set time to arrive. Social media gone mad.

There really is no way the council would interfere with cruise line arrivals. Its worth millions to them per year and the last thing they would want is cruise lines going elsewhere.

Finally I would love to see evidence of passengers being turned away because they were early. In the rain, cold, blistering sun. Wheelchair passengers, the elderley, families with kids?

Its not going to happen.

If there really is an issue with them coping with check in volumes then employ more check in staff

The terminals will be full of all the people who come across from hotels (cos they have to) those that drive down (but time it so they arrive at 11.30) etc etc....there will not be the room for the extra staff (and remember it would not just be the check in staff-think of the q's for security)

It's really is amazing how one company asking for a change is causing such a fuss.

Does anyone not want to be last to board, no q's ,straight to your cabin, and off to muster, then the ship sails.

As long as all those who HAVE to board at 11.30am do not post moaning about the q's in the car park, q's for checking in, q's for security , q's in the buffet etc etc etc.

The US cruise lines sailing from southampton dont take anything away from those that book a late availability deal. You get a choice of cabin, dining and no restriction on check in time. P&O seem intent on treating those on saver deals as second class passengers when the truth is they really need them, to fill the empty cabins. In fact without them they would probably be sailing with empty cabins.

My thoughts exactly Kevin. All cruise lines need to fill cabins with saver fares but P&O seem intent on penalising those customers by removing things like dining option and shuttle buses. I except not getting cabin choice but am finding it hard to except the other two.

Edited by bee-ess

My thoughts exactly Kevin

Not appreciated for those of us who have to book early due to holiday restrictions. Totally brassed off by the whole thread.

Ironically on Celebrity from Rome we were able to board at 11am ---- no restrictions at all ....................

We are sailing on Ventura in 3 weeks and have also had the email. I have a few issues with it as others do. Although they've allocated times in the past they've never stuck to them and people have made arrangements based on that knowledge. To change it this close just seems silly.

It does feel as if those being asked to board late are being penalised as they are potentially missing a good chunk of their first day. On a 14 day sailing it's probably not that big a deal but on a 2 or 3 night sailing I would be very unimpressed to the point where I'd now probably not book those with P&O incase I got allocated a 3.30 check in time.

If they are insistent on giving people a set time and sticking to it they should at least give people choice. I don't see why they can't do it like the dining. First come first served but when you book you know your boarding time so you can plan. It would also be an advantage they could market for those booking early. It wouldn't really help us as we always have to book late but it would at least be fairer than they way they are doing it now.

I find this fixed time issue irritating

1) We live 90 mins drive away if and its a big if the M3 is clear, on one occasion it took two and a half hours

2) then the parking queue -on Brittania in July in it for 30 mins

3) Due to my wife's mobility problems she uses the wheelchair service and this can be 5 mins or 45 mins as per July.

So in order to meet say a 1pm boarding time do we leave home at 11.30 for the 90 min drive or 10 am to ensure we are on time

Another point friends we often cruise with drive down from the north the previous day stay in a hotel who then take them (and any others) to the dock will they have to say to the hotel you have to take us there at 2 pm for example I doubt it

Edited by TOMOGP

Its not going to happen.

Well Kevin it is happening. The last 3/4 sailings of Britannia have been like this. One person has reported that it was a bit crowded but it cleared. Apart from saying that they had to wait until there allocated time there has been very little comment. No one is turned away just asked to sit and wait. People in wheelchairs have priority anyway but there are not enough assistance staff to get them all on at the same time so they have to wait as they always have.

People in coaches have been told that the time they have been allocated is superseded by the coach arrival time and they can embark when they arrive. I think that the pickup times have been changed as well.

As far as I can see the time you get is not related to the type of fare you have paid although if you book very late you are not going to get 13.00.

P&O tell us that the main reason they are doing this is that passengers have asked to have the cabins ready when they board. Clearly a case of be careful what you ask for.

I have been telling people if they do not like it then put it in writing. Not as just a complaint but as a suggestion. Clearly those on cruises should do this at he end of cruise questionnaire. If many people do this then it may change back.

If this works for P&O then the other lines will follow suit, that is quite clear. The letter above is over a year old. The way the other companies did it did not work it was abandoned. I thought this may happen with Britannia but it looks at the moment that they are getting it to work.

Oh this thread makes me laugh. There have been several like it and the consensus is, people will turn up when they like no matter what P & O say/do.

My argument with that and I've been absolutely slated because of it. Everyone thinks they're a priority...

We have the I've got children under 5 brigade, I've got an elderly parent, I've got a wheelchair, I've to travel a long way and my favourite is the hotel one where that 'have' to book out at 11 and will be out in cold.

Now how do P & O prioritise if everyone turns up at the same time? Who is more important than who? If I go by the book and arrive at my allocated time and all of the above are waiting. I'm not in any of the above categories but should I have to wait because you decided your need/excuse is greater than mine.

How do P&O take on everyone's travel arrangements prior to arriving at the ship? I think basically everyone is out for themselves with this one. They 'want' to get onboard first and don't give a monkeys about you or I having to wait, even though we abided by the rules.

Oh this thread makes me laugh. There have been several like it and the consensus is, people will turn up when they like no matter what P & O say/do.

My argument with that and I've been absolutely slated because of it. Everyone thinks they're a priority...

We have the I've got children under 5 brigade, I've got an elderly parent, I've got a wheelchair, I've to travel a long way and my favourite is the hotel one where that 'have' to book out at 11 and will be out in cold.

Now how do P & O prioritise if everyone turns up at the same time? Who is more important than who? If I go by the book and arrive at my allocated time and all of the above are waiting. I'm not in any of the above categories but should I have to wait because you decided your need/excuse is greater than mine.

How do P&O take on everyone's travel arrangements prior to arriving at the ship? I think basically everyone is out for themselves with this one. They 'want' to get onboard first and don't give a monkeys about you or I having to wait, even though we abided by the rules.

They may want to be on first but they will not get on until there allocated time. They know their time. If you turn up at the time on you ticket and there is a full room of people with later times you will get on before them. That is how Britannia has been working.

They may want to be on first but they will not get on until there allocated time. They know their time. If you turn up at the time on you ticket and there is a full room of people with later times you will get on before them. That is how Britannia has been working.

Sorry, not true in late July ------- people turned up and got a card with a letter whatever time they were given. You may shoot us down in flames but we boarded at 1.30pm but had been given 4pm. When we booked last March there were no such restrictions so were not happy about the last minute changes to boarding times. Seemed like a change in contract...

Sorry, not true in late July ------- people turned up and got a card with a letter whatever time they were given. You may shoot us down in flames but we boarded at 1.30pm but had been given 4pm. When we booked last March there were no such restrictions so were not happy about the last minute changes to boarding times. Seemed like a change in contract...

My point exactly. People turn up when they want and selfishly don't care about anyone else.

Does it not state in the terms & conditions that they reserve the right to 'change' such things.

I'm on Azura in December and the whole first weeks itinery has changed and I cannot do a thing about it.

I have no intention of shooting anyone down. I am just reporting what I have read from people on the last few cruises.

It is not a restriction, it is only, finally, following their advice which is to please adhere to the times given.

I have no intention of shooting anyone down. I am just reporting what I have read from people on the last few cruises.

It is not a restriction, it is only, finally, following their advice which is to please adhere to the times given.

Sorry to be grumpy - its probably the only thing that's really got up my nose re P&O! I suppose we will have to 'move with the times' and changes if appropriate.... it doesn't mean that we have to like it though. No use having your cabin ready for when you board if its 4.5 hrs later than you'd normally be on. Oh well, when we do our fly / cruise next year we won't have this problem and by the time we go from Southampton again it may have all changed again.

I'll say this again and then shut up - let people book their time of embarkation at time of booking as part of a Select Fare and anyone on a Saver takes pot luck. Seems fair and will keep all parties happy I think.

Time to chill .........

Edited by Presto2

I have been thinking about this whole thing..I sometimes do think, dangerous though it is:eek::eek::eek:

One would assume the way it is allocated at the moment (by fairies for all we know..those not on upgrade duty) is that they allow a certain number of people per slot. They would have an idea how long it takes to process each person on board (check in and security) so just multiply that up.

If it was a perk of select fare people, due to all the different places they may be coming from, from hotel across the road to 2-3 hours way, how would you make sure each select fare had the slot they wanted. You can book select until quite soon before cruising..so that would mean no slot could be confirmed until all possible select fares had been allocated the slot they wanted. Then the early savers could have their say and savers would take what is left...I think that would be way to complicated.

If you did it when booking..maybe..however what if the slot you wanted is now full...do you still turn up at that time , as that is the one you wanted, or do you turn up at the slot you have picked as a 2nd choice.

Also I don't think P and O are expecting people to turn up on the dot...1/2hour-hr either side....but not the hours before you have at the moment.

Having done a few B2B now it really is silly seeing how soon the next lot are waiting to board. People moan about the bun fight in the buffet ,but do not help themselves by all wanting to get on at the same time. They also do not want to wander around with their hand luggage (so just drop it off in the cabin, although this delays the stewards trying to do their job)

As earlier they can only process so many people at each time. So they are trying to suggest a more staggered boarding.I have no idea how complicated a computer programme would have to be to book slots at time of booking, and when one is full, saying that is it..pick another one.

People in hotels..I do not think having to vacate your room by a certain time ,means you have to leave the hotel its self. As has been posted hotels have lounges where you can wait until your boarding slot is approaching.

The congestion problems are caused by people themselves. P and O have come up with one suggestion. Maybe some tweeking will happen, but they may want to try and stick with the concept in some way.

You were lucky Presto. In August we had a 2 pm time and arrived just before 12:rolleyes: The lady checked our time, called it out:o to the other assistant who was handing out the cards and we were given a different card to others around us. We were left waiting until 1.30 while everyone got on board. We were still on before our allocated time but not much before.:eek:

Except that people who have turned up early on Britannia have been posting they are being kept in the terminal.

Maybe with in a short while passengers will start to realise that if they stick to times given it will be better for them.

My experience of boarding Britannia last week seemed to indicate that the "A to Z" letter system was still in place but the single board advising which letter was next to proceed to check in, was replaced by TV screens depicting four different groups. The traditional letter "A to Z" plus three additional groups under different colours.

On arrival the choices were "Priority Boarding and the current time e.g 13.00 (which was now)" OR show your E-ticket to the Ladies and get a RANDOM letter which they use discretion and allocate to you. You will always fall into one of these two groups. I suspected they had various trains of thought on what you were to be given. Probably how excessively early you were, how the check in was proceeding and were a load of coaches due imminently. On a previous occasion; under the old system, I was "next letter" only to find a huge group of people arriving and going straight through to check in. My conclusion was they were organised coach passengers and under the new system I am suspecting a large time ullage will be built in to accommodate them smoothly at the time coaches are scheduled to arrive.

Anyone complying with the rules will necessarily have a more rapid transit through the check in process and board sooner. Anyone not complying will dependent on what the staff think have a less rapid transit through the system. Certainly if you tell the ladies that give out the letters in a rude manner to get their backsides moving a bit quicker you will get a "Black Z"; if not the Black Spot, but if you are a polite young mother with pushchairs and gripey children and politely ask if the wait is going to be very long for the children you will likely get a kinder letter (like the pun?). In this way a subtle compliance will be achieved over the years. There is nothing to stop you turning up very early but your overall wait will be longer that it might have been under previous systems.

Only criticism I had on the system is as you enter there is a queue immediately in front of you which P&O passengers instinctively join. Unfortunately it is for the refreshments bar and a lot of people did not seem to realise initially. On a positive note there IS A BAR and toilet facilities. I think this is the beginning of a very good system.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I seem to remember P&O posting on their website, sometime in the last 12 months, about some new benefits they were going to introduce and I am sure selecting your boarding time was one of them. Surely that would be the best way to go as Kevin suggests, and do on a first come first serve basis.

I asked them about this in their official facebook page a couple of months ago and they said they did trial it (I never read or heard from anybody who had taking part in alleged trial) and they decided they were not going to implement it, instead going with this new one which is apparently what passengers have requested (having cabins readynon embarkation), again I've not read or heard of anybody who has actually given them this feedback!

We cruised with celebrity this year and were asked during the booking process which time we were likely to arrive and what time we would like to disembark, we were on board by 11.15 and off by 7.45... No problems at all.

P&O are useless and couldn't organise a booze up in a brewery

Would it not be easier to have a system similar to RCI, where you can complete 99% of the check in process online? Perhaps once you've completed this you could select an arrival time.

Have promised to say nothing, so will refrain --------- :):D Its killing me though :D:D;)

And also P&O seem incapable of knowing when people are on linked bookings and possibly be travelling together. We went on Oriana in August and were given a 2pm check in, as were our friends in the next cabin. Her elderly parents who were on a diffeeent deck were given a 3pm check in despite needing help and assistance from their daughter to get on board. Plus they also don't know how people are going to arrive at the terminal,,they might give people an early check in times but all those people might be arriving in coaches at 2pm..therefore loads of space at early check in with no passengers!

Improved boarding experience? Not if you have to leave your hotel at 12 noon and have a 3.30 boarding time :mad::mad::mad:

I tried out Allertons Cruise Lounge earlier in the year; it's relatively new and has not got a big following yet but I found it solves the problem you mention. It is based at The Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton and it is acceptable to book the lounge irrespective of whether you stay at the hotel. It opens at 9am and closes at 8pm. Arrive early in the day at Southampton and deposit your luggage with the concierge, you get a receipt for the cases. Then you may select a time for your transfer to quayside by the staff or leave this decision until later. This gives the opportunity of going round Southampton to do a bit of shopping etc. When in the lounge you get free WiFi facility and unlimited tea/coffee and snacks through the day. We paid £12.50 each plus £6.00 for the group transfer. It is quite expensive in my opinion but nevertheless significantly cheaper than staying in a hotel the night before a cruise whilst retaining the security of arriving in Southampton comfortably early to feel assured you wont "miss the boat"particularly if you have to aim for a late boarding time.

Regards John