Food on the Emerald

lukesgrammie

I must be hungry...I decided to fantasize about a really great dinner on the cruise and looked up the reviews on the Emerald. The reviews were kind of troubling. Lots of the same comments....Costco type..low quality..bad buffet..tasteless..micro shrimp...etc. I have to admit, our last cruise on the Star, I was a little disappointed. I AM NOT picky, but I remember thinking the prime rib tasted like ham! Say it isn't so on the Emerald!

We've always had good food experiences on Emerald Princess! :)

Not fond of the steak served in the MDR so we go to Crown Grill when we have taste for steak! :D

Emerald is one of our favorite ships! We're looking forward to cruising on her again in January for 19 days. :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

I must be hungry...I decided to fantasize about a really great dinner on the cruise and looked up the reviews on the Emerald. The reviews were kind of troubling. Lots of the same comments....Costco type..low quality..bad buffet..tasteless..micro shrimp...etc. I have to admit, our last cruise on the Star, I was a little disappointed. I AM NOT picky, but I remember thinking the prime rib tasted like ham! Say it isn't so on the Emerald!

Just got off the Emerald two weeks ago. She is the ship we most sail on. Over all food very good in MDR. Have noticed some differences as to where you are sailing. Our last cruise was the area of Malta, Greece, Turkey etc. the only item that was laughable was the "ham steak" served from RS. and also used as ham in breakfast menu of MDR. It was the pressed ham found in cheap deli counter of grocery stores. Breakfast sausage was of the soft tasteless type. Yet these same items served on the Emerald in Caribbean and TA was very good. Best shrimp I had was in the Crown Grill as side dish with my steak. Enjoy

Got off the ship last week. Honestly, did not have a bad meal, was better than some of the other Princess ships I have been on. Nothing to worry about!

We just came off the EPpy in July. The food in the MDR was excellent, as well as the International Cafe. Also, we made it to both speciality restaurants (Crown Grill and whatever the Italian one was called) -- both were very very good similarly. The buffet was, honestly, hit or miss so we avoided it whenever we can.

Perhaps some of the folks who reviewed it negatively have extremely high-end standards. If you're like probably 90% of folks you'll swoon over most of it. Trust me.

I remember taking the galley tour on another cruise line and being surprised at seeing a package of frozen coconut shrimp. I've never seen packaged prepared food like that on my Princess galley tours (including the extended tour that took us to the stores where they keep all the fresh vegetables).

Costco is one of my favorite stores...and their chicken...will that's what I make my soup and chicken salad out of...delish. I was simply repeating what others compared the ships food to. I do like the convenience of the buffet for breakfast and lunch, but the reviews haven't been the best. I unfortunately have never lost weight on a cruise so what does that tell you!!!! I must have been really hungry the day I posted my remark!! lol Can't wait to be spoiled!

We cruised aboard Emerald Princess in May and found her to be gracious in service, and full of delicious food. From the Vines' Bar sushi and tapas to the MDR to the buffet and the Crowne Grill - it was all superb. You won't be disappointed.

Wait a minute - the buffet, too?!? haha, I kid. They did traipse out one of the very best St. Honoré cakes I've ever had in my life. We still found other things there - like I said -- hit or miss. I'm really only talking about the dinner buffet (breakfast and lunch were both very good). Hmmm, I never DID make it to the Crab Shack... darn!