Declined Upsell Offer to a Full Suite

swm5495678

On Sunday we received an upsell offer from Princess for the Grand Suite for $999 PP and $899 PP for the Penthouse/Vista Suites. We declined the offers. We had already done the Penthouse Suite on the Golden a few years back for the same trip to Hawaii. Back then it was full fare no upsell.

With the exception of breakfast every morning at Sabatini's restaurant we really didn't see much value in the full suite.

What are other folks opinion on this?

On Sunday we received an upsell offer from Princess for the Grand Suite for $999 PP and $899 PP for the Penthouse/Vista Suites. We declined the offers. We had already done the Penthouse Suite on the Golden a few years back for the same trip to Hawaii. Back then it was full fare no upsell.

With the exception of breakfast every morning at Sabatini's restaurant we really didn't see much value in the full suite.

I have turned down upsells when the price seemed not worth it. Makes sense to me.

Probably would have gone for it as we've never sailed in a suite.

We were once invited to an aft one for a sailaway on the Ocean Princess and that was wonderful.

On the down side, it might be like our first balcony upsell. We've never booked anything without a balcony since.

Edited by beg3yrs

Other people's opinions do not matter as long as you're comfortable with your decision.

This is true but getting the viewpoints of other people often provides a different point of view and sometimes they are quite useful. How you use the new information is up to you.

You didn't say what the cruise was (length, location, port intensive etc). I think that has a lot to do with whether an upsell is worth it or not. If it had been a 2 week cruise I would have jumped at it. It it had been a one week on a port intensive cruise with lots of beaches and sunshine why bother? A lot has to do with the cruise IMHO

We were just offered, and took, an upsell offer for a suite. This is the first upgrade, whether free or upsell, that I have ever been offered and I've always wanted to sail in a full suite, so we jumped on it. The offer was $399 pp for 7-day cruise. We are friends so the $399 is not coming out of the same budget. :D

So, what we paid for the minisuite plus the $399 upsell cost was significantly lower than the current price of the suite. Happy days! :p

Edited by Who Knew

You didn't say what the cruise was (length, location, port intensive etc). I think that has a lot to do with whether an upsell is worth it or not. If it had been a 2 week cruise I would have jumped at it. It it had been a one week on a port intensive cruise with lots of beaches and sunshine why bother? A lot has to do with the cruise IMHO

The OP said it was a Hawaii cruise, so I assume it's the 15-night RT out of San Francisco. That's nine sea days. I think I would take it if I could spare the loot. Lots of time to enjoy the suite.

On the other hand if you've already enjoyed a suite once and didn't think this was worth it, then I guess it wasn't for you.

Jim

Which Hawaii cruise is this?

Thats pretty steep. They are usually $629/$699.

I probably would have passed on it too. I would rather purchase two drink packages than pay for the upsell.

In the past, we've been offered two upsells. One we took and the other we didn't. The one we took was $99 per person to go from an inside to a balcony on a seven-day cruise. The one we passed on was a premium balcony to a mini-suite. That was also $99 per person, but it was only a three-day cruise.

I would rather have a free upgrade than pay for an upsell any day.:D

The upsell fairies don't visit me. I am one of those who is quite frugal..at first. For our next cruise it started as an inside, then I upgraded to an inside, then talked myself into a balcony...gees maybe I should not be so anxious to upgrade and wait for an offer. IF I was ever offered, I would probably go up a couple hundred dollars, but two grand is a little hard for me to swallow. If money was not an issue then I would upgrade, If I hadn't already upgraded myself at full fare!!! Is there a support group for cruise addicts???

We just got back from a 3-day cruise yesterday. We had an upsell offer to a suite (Rivera 404) from a mini for $150 pp. We had never had a suite so thought why not. While we enjoyed the room everything still felt a little cramped. Tons of storage space and the bathroom was great (love the free standing shower) but I still felt like I had to turn sideways in spaces to get around. The balcony was lovely with two large reclining , padded chairs but seemed narrower than a mini on Dolphin.

We also didn't like the location. I'd much rather be on the 9th floor than the 14th (of course, that is all a personal preference). Sabatini's was nice but I didn't find it that much more special than the MDR for breakfast (sans the mimosa and latte). I personally don't like to be fawned over when dining.

Would I do it again, maybe. It's like flying first class. I love to get bumped up to first class but I would never pay full price for it.

The OP said it was a Hawaii cruise, so I assume it's the 15-night RT out of San Francisco. That's nine sea days. I think I would take it if I could spare the loot. Lots of time to enjoy the suite.

Could be - I'm on that cruise and there was one Grand suite and one Vista suite left unbooked, but the Grand is gone now. Actually, they had both been booked earlier but apparently were cancelled. The Vista is currently listed on princess.com as selling for $5,599.

We had a Lanai on a 21 day Antarctic cruise. We booked the Lanai because the balcony would have cost us an addition $2000pp when we booked and out of our range. Well.......we were offered an upsell for $599pp after our cruise was paid for and I received the e-mail while at work. I couldn't get to a computer (outside of a patient care area) fast enough to jump on it. Think of it...Antarctica and a balcony. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, we are going back and yes, we booked a balcony! :-)

Edited by ibfishing2

Could be - I'm on that cruise and there was one Grand suite and one Vista suite left unbooked, but the Grand is gone now. Actually, they had both been booked earlier but apparently were cancelled. The Vista is currently listed on princess.com as selling for $5,599.

You are apparently on the Nov. 25 Grand cruise to Hawaii. We have no idea which one the OP is on. There are many RT cruises to Hawaii on the Grand.

Jim

Its a 15 day RT from SF to Hawaii. Four ports of call and one in Mexico.

I can't comment on Princess up sells, but on Holland America if they don't get enough takers at the original upsell offer, they Make a second round of upsell offers with lower prices. We took the second much lower round of upsells on our June Baltic cruise to a full aft wrap suite from standard balcony cabin. It was worth every penny!

OP,maybe the price will come down! 15 days would be a nice cruise to be in a full suite!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

One rumour I have heard, if you are offered an upsell and you take it, you are more likely to be offered another upsell in the future.

I have heard that is true with move-over offers as well, though I think we used all of our move-over mojo on our last offer!:)