Help! I need opinions!

SubbyWife

After 71 cruises, Normandy was THE most enlightening, humbling and awe inspiring places I have ever been. You must take your kids one day. Maybe make that a family holiday when they are old enough to appreciate the sacrifices people have made. The Caribbean is truly beautiful and you will not regret either decision...as either will not be wrong...just different. I would certainly opt for an eastern itinerary in the Caribbean.

Take the Eastern Caribbean - the water is prettier and clearer and the ports are cleaner and safer-feeling.

While I do agree that the water is mostly prettier in the Eastern ports of call, I found the ports to be fine as far as cleanliness and safety on the Western Itinerary cruise we took on Freedom this past year.

I enjoy the excursions and activity choices more on a Western itinerary.

Though, none of these opinions are what the OP sought- they are opinions nonetheless.

I do agree that choosing an itinerary closer to home may be a better choice to get yourself acclimated to cruising. It is certainly a less expensive and "safer" choice as far as familiarity.

I too have a husband who hates to fly. It was very limiting for quite a long time. Once he said he was willing to do it, I took him up on it. It certainly expanded the possibilities for where we could go easily. Once he acknowledged it was not so bad, we have been able to go many places. My husband retired from the Marine Corps- so many of his flight experiences were on military transport planes being flown with less "luxury" than on a commercial flight (not that coach on a commercial line is luxurious)- but it's certainly not a military flight.

He's not a big fan of beaches either, after spending an extended amount of time in Desert Storm either. He knows I plan on at least one beach day on each cruise. He has the option to join me or stay on the ship. I am pretty social so I will find someone to hang out with if he doesn't want to come along. He usually comes along though, as it's not likely he's going to be in combat on the sunny beaches of St. Thomas. LOL

FWIW, if you want to go do the European and your husband has indicated that he is willing to fly- you may want to seize the opportunity. There is no telling when he might change his mind.

Another vote for the Freedom Western Caribbean itinerary for a first cruise. Great ship which leaves from a port about three hours closer to drive to from SC than Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. One more and more diverse ports, one less sea day than Freedom's eastern route as one can see in my signature.

Western route scenery and water is just as nice as eastern, IMHO, that is.;)

Edited by robtulipe

I agree with most of what has already been said. Do a "local" cruise and get used to how cruising works while in the relative safety/comfort zone that the Caribbean offers.

Then when your kids are older, take them to Europe with you. Military service is a big part of your family heritage (please thank your husband for his service, and thank you for supporting him while he does this for our country!), and sharing it with the kids when they're old enough to appreciate it will be all the more meaningful.

Eastern or western doesn't really matter, IMO -- they're both excellent. Same with Freedom or Navigator -- I've been on both and I'm scheduled to go on both again... you can't go wrong with either one. Choose the ship/itinerary based on what works for your schedule or your personal interests. (For example, San Juan has an old fort, if you want to feed your itch for military history.)

I think you'll both enjoy a Caribbean cruise more for your first cruise -- no flying, nearer the kids, no language barriers, etc. After you're seasoned cruisers, you'll have a better idea of how things work and what your priorities are for a European adventure.

The European cruises are awesome if you can afford them. Barcelona is a beautiful city that is nothing like anything you'll find in the states anywhere.

My two cents, however, for what they are worth, is that making 1 single cruise "your chance" to see Europe is, well, not a good way to do it. If you can do a european cruise every other year, great. If you can do a week before, and 3 days after in spain, france, london, whatever, great.

Otherwise, I'd take the Caribbean cruise, and plan a proper 2+ week land tour of Europe some time in the future.

My opinion is if both you and your husband are really interested in Normandy that you should NOT do it as part of a cruise. My DH is a military history buff and we did a river cruise in France that included a day in Normandy. It's SO not enough. Well, maybe if your interest is just seeing the American Cemetary and a short stop at the American beaches.

We did the one day that the cruise offered but had planned ahead to drive back to the Normandy area that next week. We hired a professional guide (Stuart Robertson) for 2 full days and it was completely awesome. But even then we didn't see everything. We are going back this coming May and have hired Stuart again for 3 days.

Take the Carribean cruise (awesome), but do Paris and Normandy as a land vacation. The French countryside is incredibly easy to drive and so worth more than the 2 days a cruise gives.

The European cruises are awesome if you can afford them. Barcelona is a beautiful city that is nothing like anything you'll find in the states anywhere.

My two cents, however, for what they are worth, is that making 1 single cruise "your chance" to see Europe is, well, not a good way to do it. If you can do a european cruise every other year, great. If you can do a week before, and 3 days after in spain, france, london, whatever, great.

Otherwise, I'd take the Caribbean cruise, and plan a proper 2+ week land tour of Europe some time in the future.

I have done 4 European land vacations ranging from 6-25 days each. Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Paris, among many others-- they cities cannot be done in 8 hours. I recently spent 16 days in Italy before going on a cruise to Greece. Two and a half days in Rome wasn't enough! As obsessed as I have become with cruising (4 cruises in 6 months & I'm NOT retired-- five more booked), there are still some places that are better explored by land.

I also agree that you shouldn't cruise a brand new ship, especially when you have no other cruising experience and this may unnecessarily impact of you like/don't like it.

I also know you were not serious about this, but you may want to hold off booking a transatlantic until you KNOW that you won't be dying to get off the ship!!

You did not say how old your kids are or who they will be farmed off to.

Your husband fear of flying is not unusual, but book him into a business class and let him sleep all the way to and from(right) I cannot afford that either LOL. A great trip was mentioned a TA which stops near Normandy.

I was in Normandy this spring, on the Brilliance which visited Cherbourg. I will tell you that there is just not enough time to see all of Normandy in one day and really enjoy it. I could go back and spend at a least 3 hours in just the visitors center. I will go back on my own, we travel in France a lot and love the country side and are looking into a long stay in that area.

Now finally to answer your question(partially) I agree with others do the Caribbean as a first cruise.

I can almost guarantee that this will not be your last cruise. Cruising is a great way to see much of the world, but not in detail, if you like some place, you can easily book a land trip to see more of it.

Interesting question of cruise itineraries.

It's all in the thought process.

You already know which cruise you would like to go on, but your fear of the unknown is a deterrence.

Once that is addressed your decision becomes crystal clear.

Think ten years from now and ask yourself if you go on one cruise instead of the other ................ which one would you say I shoulda', coulda', woulda' but .........

In the end it always comes back to you.

Never lie to yourself or cheat yourself and you will be much happier.

How about this crazy idea - do the Navigator Transatlantic that stops in LeHavre? You'll only have to fly on the way back and won't have jet lag. If you really wanted to you could disembark at LeHavre, spend a couple of days in Normandy and fly back from Paris. Otherwise, I go with the consensus so far, Freedom from PC, which is a relatively short drive away.

This is a great idea for experienced cruisers.

I would not recommend a TA for 1st time.

Cruises in Europe are very port intensive and you don't really get to enjoy the ship

as a 1st time, I also vote caribbean.

Thanks again for the responses! My kids will be farmed off to grandparents, who I trust 10000% with making sure they are well taken care of. It's just a bit of the mommy guilt and my fear that the first time we actually try to take a vacation, that's when something will happen. Obviously it's a quicker flight back to them from the Caribbean than Europe. But mainly, it's just me being paranoid, lol. Not that it will stop from enjoying my vacation while I'm on it.

I really want to be able to experience Europe when I'm there, so if a cruise is not really going to give me that, then I will save that for a later time.

I see that there seems to be a mix of opinions on which is better, eastern or western Caribbean. Can anyone give me specifics as to why you feel one is better than the other? I was leaning more towards eastern, but a lot of you have said you loved western. (I realize in the grand scheme of things, I will have fun regardless because it's a cruise and I get to go on vacation with the hubs.)

My husband is NOT a beach guy. We will spend zero time lounging by a pool or on the beach. (It's sad for me because I LOVE the beach!) So we need options for excursions that are a bit more active. Is one itinerary better than the other for that? (Sidenote: he just got a gopro and is itching to use it for something cool, lol)

Thanks again for the responses! My kids will be farmed off to grandparents, who I trust 10000% with making sure they are well taken care of. It's just a bit of the mommy guilt and my fear that the first time we actually try to take a vacation, that's when something will happen. Obviously it's a quicker flight back to them from the Caribbean than Europe. But mainly, it's just me being paranoid, lol. Not that it will stop from enjoying my vacation while I'm on it.

I really want to be able to experience Europe when I'm there, so if a cruise is not really going to give me that, then I will save that for a later time.

I see that there seems to be a mix of opinions on which is better, eastern or western Caribbean. Can anyone give me specifics as to why you feel one is better than the other? I was leaning more towards eastern, but a lot of you have said you loved western. (I realize in the grand scheme of things, I will have fun regardless because it's a cruise and I get to go on vacation with the hubs.)

My husband is NOT a beach guy. We will spend zero time lounging by a pool or on the beach. (It's sad for me because I LOVE the beach!) So we need options for excursions that are a bit more active. Is one itinerary better than the other for that? (Sidenote: he just got a gopro and is itching to use it for something cool, lol)

If your husband is not a hang around on the beach guy - I would do Western. They both include a "private" stop at Labadee or Coco Cay. But Labadee has the Dragon's Breath Zip line. Google that and see some Youtube videos. You can always do wave runners and snorkeling at Coco Cay - but you can do that in either place. Looking at the maps from one of the previous posters it seems like western also has an additional port stop - that would be a plus for your husband if he doesn't want to just hang out and relax. Go to the port of call boards, look at Trip Advisor and do a little research on each port. No one else can really decide what you would like best.

Edited by MNfamilycruiser

I see that there seems to be a mix of opinions on which is better, eastern or western Caribbean. Can anyone give me specifics as to why you feel one is better than the other?

My husband is NOT a beach guy. We will spend zero time lounging by a pool or on the beach. (It's sad for me because I LOVE the beach!) So we need options for excursions that are a bit more active.

Anywhere that goes to Mexico (eg costa maya, cancun, cozumel, etc) has mayan ruins that are, in my opinion, very cool. I highly recommend Chichen Itza, even though it's a longer ride than some of the other choices. That's generally a western itinerary.

Any ship that goes to Nassau, you'll be able to check out the Atlantis resort. They have a "swim with the dolphins" (not to mention a full aquarium/themed resort thing) that is hard to beat for a rare excursion. I'd like to say that I think this has less to do with eastern vs western, and more to do with where you leave from (my 2011 trip in my signature included nassau, as did by 2013 trip), but I see it on more eastern itineraries. There are also dolphin encounters in many ports, so it's not completely unique.

The best diving is in Roatan on the mesoamerican reef. In my opinion, its greater than the GBR in australia. 0.02 Only avail on westerns...

Jamaica has lots of waterfall climbing/ waterfall jumping type stuff to do, plus who doesn't want to eat authentic jerk chicken from jamaica? There's also bobsledding and such. That's also a western.

That said, my cruising experience is rather limited (by this forum's standards anyway.) So don't take this to mean western>eastern, I didn't say that.

Edited by Diplomacy

For a Gopro, you really can't beat Stingray City at Grand Cayman - should be enough to hook him on cruising. All suggestions are good - go local and cheaper until you decide if cruising is really for you. RCI is a decent middle cruise line, but only sometimes gives military discounts. Consider Princess since they give onboard credit for military members and retirees on every cruise. Princess is a similar experience to RCI. Eastern Caribbean has lots of island experiences, Western seems to be a bit more about beaches. After 26 cruises we prefer Eastern.

The big ships have more onboard activities because they can only get into certain ports, but this comes at a premium price.

From where you live there are a ton of options to cruise without flying. Take a look at one of the internet cruise companies (can't recommend one here) and look at their calendar for the timeframe you want to cruise in for what is available. Pick some, research ports, and then pare down from there. Cruising in April is off-season for lots of areas and you can get some incredible deals. If you are willing to cruise in an inside cabin could be as low as $49 per person per day (we got hooked on balconies in 2004).

There is no best choice for you - pick a few options and do some research and enjoy what you pick! BTW, you could book Atlantis submarines in most Caribbean ports.....

For a Gopro, you really can't beat Stingray City at Grand Cayman - should be enough to hook him on cruising. All suggestions are good - go local and cheaper until you decide if cruising is really for you. RCI is a decent middle cruise line, but only sometimes gives military discounts. Consider Princess since they give onboard credit for military members and retirees on every cruise. Princess is a similar experience to RCI. Eastern Caribbean has lots of island experiences, Western seems to be a bit more about beaches. After 26 cruises we prefer Eastern.

The big ships have more onboard activities because they can only get into certain ports, but this comes at a premium price.

From where you live there are a ton of options to cruise without flying. Take a look at one of the internet cruise companies (can't recommend one here) and look at their calendar for the timeframe you want to cruise in for what is available. Pick some, research ports, and then pare down from there. Cruising in April is off-season for lots of areas and you can get some incredible deals. If you are willing to cruise in an inside cabin could be as low as $49 per person per day (we got hooked on balconies in 2004).

There is no best choice for you - pick a few options and do some research and enjoy what you pick! BTW, you could book Atlantis submarines in most Caribbean ports.....

Princess is a much older clientele. I'd stick to Royal or NCL.

We are new cruisers as well. Will be taking our first cruise - eastern Caribbean on the Freedom next April (hey! Maybe we'll be on the same sailing!) and I did the eastern vs western debate.

I chose eastern (which does NOT include Nassau btw) because the eastern has 4 sea days vs 3 and because we ARE new cruisers, it would give us additional time to enjoy on the ship itself. Rest, relax, play, whatever. Of course if you are more active and want to go as much as possible the western may be the better choice of the 2.)

Good luck with your decision making. I'm sure it'll be a blast whichever way that you go.

I like both the eastern and western ports of call. All the ports are wonderful except Nassau. (Unless you go to Atlantis resort) ~very pricey and you are only there a couple of hours.

Some things we do

Grand Cayman- shopping, swim with stingrays

Cozumel- ruins, lots of excursions that you can choose from for adrelalin or more relaxed tours,

St Maartin- beautiful beaches, regatta race (sailboats) the Regatta race is the best excursion we have been on in all my cruises, Moho beach view airplanes

Jamaica- Dunns falls, HELLo, blue hole

Labadee- private beach run by RC. Nice beaches and lunches served on the island.

San Juan- view the forts

St Thomas- fantastic beaches

There are more islands like Roatan, Curaco, st kitts, ect. That is just a very brief list, there is so much more you can do.

Check out the ports of call threads. You will find tons of information about the various ports.

I like both the eastern and western ports of call. All the ports are wonderful except Nassau. (Unless you go to Atlantis resort) ~very pricey and you are only there a couple of hours.

Some things we do

Grand Cayman- shopping, swim with stingrays

Cozumel- ruins, lots of excursions that you can choose from for adrelalin or more relaxed tours,

St Maartin- beautiful beaches, regatta race (sailboats) the Regatta race is the best excursion we have been on in all my cruises, Moho beach view airplanes

Jamaica- Dunns falls, HELLo, blue hole

Labadee- private beach run by RC. Nice beaches and lunches served on the island.

San Juan- view the forts

St Thomas- fantastic beaches

There are more islands like Roatan, Curaco, st kitts, ect. That is just a very brief list, there is so much more you can do.

Check out the ports of call threads. You will find tons of information about the various ports.

Aww, nassau isn't that bad. They have a senior frogs aswell. ;) It's certainly better than HELL:eek:o Jamaica though.

Edited by Diplomacy

Eastern is more sophisticated, Americanized if you will. Western is more historical (and water sports oriented). But it's really a mix of both. We did Mayan ruins on our first Western and city shopping on our second. Check out the Port of call forums and pick what interests you.

I recommend a western caribbean itinerary on Freedom. When you are worried about things, take smaller steps. A western would certainly be less of a challenge, a smaller step, than going to Europe.

Take your husband on the western and if he likes it, it will be easier to get him on a plane to Europe. BTW, I have the same problem. Wife doesn't even want to fly inside the states let alone an eight hour flight to Europe.

A western will be significantly cheaper for any give cabin category than a European once you factor in airfare. It will also take less time. You will have more money to spend on the cruise.

Different people have different opinions, but we prefer the western over the eastern. Some say the shopping is better on the eastern but how many t-shirts are you going to buy? Others say the western is more scenic.

Save the European until you're a bit more seasoned and have fewer worries about the kids.

Small steps. And, remember, this isn't an either/or decision. You can do the caribbean this time and the european later.

Agreed ! Great post ! We have done the western Caribbean on Freedom several times now and love it. We prefer this cruise over the Eastern itinerary because you stand the chance of missing Coco Cay if you hit bad weather ! If possible , a cabana at Labadee is worth the investment .

I love to give opinions. Just ask my husband. Lol

We love the Freedom and the Caribbean . I almost guarantee it won't be your last cruise.

So save Europe for later if that makes you more comfortable.

Get the first cruise under your belt than decide about Europe.

I agree. Save Europe for when your kids are old enough to go with you. We took our kids on a Baltic cruise which was very port intensive and they loved it. So much to see and do! When the kids were young, we stuck to the Caribbean when we took them with us.

Like others have stated, your first cruise should be relaxing and carefree. A port intensive European cruise certainly does not fit that description.