Thomas Cook V Thomson - Barbados

soobs

We have cruised the Caribbean a good few times and have always been put on the Thomson flight which for the last few years has been the Dreamliner - we have often paid for extra leg room seats (not sure it was worth the money) the configuration was 3 3 3. We have always taken the Friday flight out of Manchester.

This year we cannot book until 8 weeks before due to work commitments so I am not expecting a choice of Friday or Saturday flights or the carrier - in fact the Saturday flight would make a change having a night in Barbados at the end instead of the start.

Can anyone help with comparisons of the 2 flights please. I have checked seat guru and it looks like 2 TC flights per day and 3 2 3 seating but cannot see Thomson on there.

I am not sure about long haul but I flew Thomas Cook to Greece and it was the WORST flight ever. Dirty cabin and toilets, uncontrolled children constantly screaming, running up and down the isle and kicking people. cabin crew did nothing to control them. No food or drink available.

I would avoid at all costs and go with Thomsons

We have had four flights to the Caribbean, two with Thomson and two with Thomas Cook. For us it's Thomson every time. We have had premium seats on both aircrafts. Thomson was far better. The seats were more comfortable, the inflight films you could choose when to start watching them, pause if you were having a meal or something and then return to the film. Thomson to us seemed to offer a much more efficient service altogether.

Our aircrafts on Thomas Cook were both tatty, some of the backs of the seats in front of us had tears in them. The films are on a rolling showing, therefore you cannot choose when to watch - or you could do what I did, watched the end of a film, had my meal and then watched the beginning - hopeless.

We also found the staff on Thomson much more smiley, and keen to see we had a good flight. Thomson, at Gatwick seems to go from the North Terminal and Thomas Cook from the South. We much prefer the North Terminal, not quite so heaving with people.

So, given a choice, Thomson.

Hi soobs

I'm on about 8 Caribbean cruises with po using both carriers on occasion I've upgraded to premium for leg room but not always and can honestly say there is no difference to between them. I cannot comment on the Dreamliner I'm hoping my flight out in jan will be on one.

Thomas Cook and Thomson both bog standard chartered flights, yes premium is nicer more room, drinks, entertainment, more luggage allowance etc but economy is ok, shame the little touches have gone like the drinks.

Hay

We have cruised the Caribbean a good few times and have always been put on the Thomson flight which for the last few years has been the Dreamliner - we have often paid for extra leg room seats (not sure it was worth the money) the configuration was 3 3 3. We have always taken the Friday flight out of Manchester.

This year we cannot book until 8 weeks before due to work commitments so I am not expecting a choice of Friday or Saturday flights or the carrier - in fact the Saturday flight would make a change having a night in Barbados at the end instead of the start.

Can anyone help with comparisons of the 2 flights please. I have checked seat guru and it looks like 2 TC flights per day and 3 2 3 seating but cannot see Thomson on there.

Thomas Cook will most likely be Airbus A330 with refurbished interior. Prim. economy is 2-3-2 and economy is 2-4-2 and towards the rear narrows to 2-3-2. On demand in seat back entertainment. Seats are not to bad comfort wise, plenty of knee room, I am 6 foot, we sat right at the back, less people traffic. Own opinion, not quite as good as 787 Dreamliner.

Martyn

We are doing the Transatlantic on Azura next month and flying back into Manchester. I asked when booking if we could have a Thomson flight but was told they are only using Thomas Cook from Manchester. I double checked with their flight department and was told the same thing.

They did offer to change my flight to Birmingham, where they are using the Thomson Dreamliner, but the additional travelling costs to Birmingham were not worth it.

I agree with comments made so far about Thompson and Thomas Cook. Having been on both, I would definitely recommend Thompson. We flew from Manchester and it was Thomas Cook, very firm seats, that after 6 hours we was all squirming around trying to get comfortable , to no avail. My wife and i agree, we would rather go to a different airport to travel with Thompsons.

Edited by Mark-Sheffield

I am not sure about long haul but I flew Thomas Cook to Greece and it was the WORST flight ever. Dirty cabin and toilets, uncontrolled children constantly screaming, running up and down the isle and kicking people. cabin crew did nothing to control them. No food or drink available.

I would avoid at all costs and go with Thomsons

Sorry to interject here; but the uncontrolled children you mention are not the responsibility of cabin crew unless they are UMs. It is parents who should control their children's behaviour not TC employees.

We are flying from Gatwick to the Caribbean this Christmas to join Britannia. Our original flights were Thomson on the Dreamliner, but quite a few months ago changed to Thomas Cook, the refurbished A330s in a 2-4-2 config. We're in rows 14 &15, 2 + 2. Does anyone know if these are good/bad seats?

Sorry to interject here; but the uncontrolled children you mention are not the responsibility of cabin crew unless they are UMs. It is parents who should control their children's behaviour not TC employees.

The Cabin Crew should lead the naughty children to the outside play area.:D

We are flying from Gatwick to the Caribbean this Christmas to join Britannia. Our original flights were Thomson on the Dreamliner, but quite a few months ago changed to Thomas Cook, the refurbished A330s in a 2-4-2 config. We're in rows 14 &15, 2 + 2. Does anyone know if these are good/bad seats?

Rows 14 & 15 are fine as far as I can remember.

The seats to avoid are those next to the middle toilet on the left around rows 9, 10 & 11.

The worst seat on the plan is 9c.

I remember once, we sat at the back and to the right of the aircraft. The food service started from back left (if you follow me). By the time they go to us, we had to take what was left over, no choise.

Edited by mds143

The seats to avoid are those next to the middle toilet on the left around rows 9, 10 & 11.

I remember once, we sat at the back and to the right of the aircraft. The food service started from back left (if you follow me). By the time they go to us, we had to take what was left over, no choise.

Thanks mds143. I avoided sitting too far back for the same reason. Thought we were handy for toilet but not too close. Hate having to walk the length of the plane.

We have had four flights to the Caribbean, two with Thomson and two with Thomas Cook. For us it's Thomson every time. We have had premium seats on both aircrafts. Thomson was far better. The seats were more comfortable, the inflight films you could choose when to start watching them, pause if you were having a meal or something and then return to the film. Thomson to us seemed to offer a much more efficient service altogether.

Our aircrafts on Thomas Cook were both tatty, some of the backs of the seats in front of us had tears in them. The films are on a rolling showing, therefore you cannot choose when to watch - or you could do what I did, watched the end of a film, had my meal and then watched the beginning - hopeless.

We also found the staff on Thomson much more smiley, and keen to see we had a good flight. Thomson, at Gatwick seems to go from the North Terminal and Thomas Cook from the South. We much prefer the North Terminal, not quite so heaving with people.

So, given a choice, Thomson.

We just flew back from Turkey with Thomas Cook on the refurbished A330 (same as they use to Barbados) and it was great. New TVs you can stop and restart use your own headphones and has a usb charging point too. :)

which plane type are you referring to..I don't see any toilets near row 9 on the A330

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Thomas_Cook_Airlines/Thomas_Cook_Airlines_Airbus_A330-200.php

which plane type are you referring to..I don't see any toilets near row 9 on the A330

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Thomas_Cook_Airlines/Thomas_Cook_Airlines_Airbus_A330-200.php

Thomas Cook have 2 versions of the A330 the seat plan you are looking at is the older plane, the newer version with the toilets on the same level as the seating is here, http://book.thomascookairlines.com/pdf/A330TZ_v2.pdf

If you search for Thomas Cook Fleet the finer details of where each version is flying from can be found. Hope this helps.

Martyn

Hi Milis my friend is flying from Manchester on 8th Jan and has also been given flight TOM116 is it usual to have two flight numbers the same for different flights? I have looked on the schedule for departures from Manchester in January and can't see any Thomson flights? We are going at the end of January and we're hoping it would be the Dreamliner. I notice n this thread that someone has said there will be no Thomson flights from Manchester!!

Hi Milis my friend is flying from Manchester on 8th Jan and has also been given flight TOM116 is it usual to have two flight numbers the same for different flights? I have looked on the schedule for departures from Manchester in January and can't see any Thomson flights? We are going at the end of January and we're hoping it would be the Dreamliner. I notice n this thread that someone has said there will be no Thomson flights from Manchester!!

Yes there are lots of TOM 116 flying out and back this year. We are on the 25th Dec return 8th Jan flight that your friend will probably be on we are flying Thomsons

Thomas Cook have 2 versions of the A330 the seat plan you are looking at is the older plane, the newer version with the toilets on the same level as the seating is here, http://book.thomascookairlines.com/pdf/A330TZ_v2.pdf

If you search for Thomas Cook Fleet the finer details of where each version is flying from can be found. Hope this helps.

Martyn

Thanks Martyn, we are on the older version with seats on the lower floor. ( that's if the seat Booker is correct) :) flying out on December 26th ... Can't wait!

Having said that now, I'm not so sure???

On the Thomas Cook our fleet page is two layouts of the new layout

of the A330-200 cabins .

The one that shows the downstairs toilets near the rear is 273 Economy and 49 Premium seating .

Premium cabin and service from Manchester, Belfast and selected flights from London Gatwick

also

The all economy, seats 321 ( with toilets at seat 9 area )

A330 All Economy aircraft information (London Gatwick/Glasgow/Stansted from November 2014*)

If you are flying from London Gatwick, Glasgow or Stansted, you will be travelling in one of our new A330’s.

One joined our fleet in November 2013, and has been based at Manchester the past year.

From November 2014, this aircraft will be based at London Gatwick and also operate from Stansted.

In May 2015 we will receive our sixth A330 and it will be based at Glasgow.

These 2 aircraft operate in an all economy configuration, with brand new seats and a light airy cabin,

with the same great entertainment system as our other A330s.

*subject to change in flying programme

Hope this helps :)

Went on Thomas Cook in February to Barbados and nothing wrong with the flight. Sufficient leg room and 2 seats together so no bothering anyone else when you need to get up and stretch your legs. We are on the TC flight again in January. It also leaves Manchester 2 hours earlier than the Thomson flight which is a bonus