Kenai Fjords Cruise-How rough compared to others?

cw2go

Hello,

I've read multiple reports of seasickness and rough seas for the Kenai Fjords cruise out of Seward. I understand no one can predict the seas on any particular day but hope I can gain a better perspective. "Rough" to one may be easy to another.

I've been whale watching in Alaska and the Northeast. I've also sailed the Napali Coast-Kauai. I have no history of actually getting sick BUT the Napali cruise was 5 hrs and a rough ride that seemed like forever. (5ft swells) Many were very ill and by the end I was very very tired and ready for it to just be over! I've researched sailing out of Seward because I MUST see otters in the wild...but with sailings lasting 6-8 hours, I'm leary? Please compare the sailings for me? The Kenai Fjords cruise is on my list, my heart wants it but my heads says I may be better off doing a sailing out of Whittier instead?

Thanks in advance,

Patty

I'm curious about the same question. (I do tend to get sea-sick on little boats-- though never on sailboats.)

Will you be in Sitka? We did the "Sea otter and wildlife quest" from Sitka last time and it was lovely. I can't speak absolutely whether it was just calm water that day, or whether that excursion is always calm. I'd be curious about the difference between it and the Kenai excursion.

General- it is a rougher sailing area- going outside the bay. A given- always with crossing the gulf in some degree. I've sailed it over 25 times- and always see sick passengers. I rarely see them out of Gloucester-- with your east coast reference? at least 100 trips. (a lot of tour money I'm now thinking. :) ) And your Hawaii reference- which I've snorkel toured from- aren't in the "rough" category. Auke Bay whale watching is tame in comparison. So all of your references are not in the category potential of the Kenai Fjords boat tours.

With your priority -I suggest you stack your deck, and attempt to spot sea otters at every opportunity you can- Kenai Fjords isn't loaded, but you usually see some. Sitka is loaded. It's especially important to try and tour where you are going to see rafts of sea otters, rafts, will be a LOT more visible for a longer time. Single/few sea otters typically dive with approaching boats.

Absolutely consider a Surprise Glacier boat tour, where I usually see large numbers, multiple rafts and great viewing. Also be out early your Glacier Bay day, with a good pair of binoculars, I always see a lot of sea otters near the entrance.

Edited by Budget Queen

I don't normally get seasick, but I sure did on the Kenai Fjords trip. And I was prepared by taking a Dramamine before hand. Our Captain kept hitting the large waves head on so it was a lot of up and slamming down.

If I had to do it over I would select a Prince William Sound tour.

Thank for the responses as they pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. Now to find sailings that include Sitka? I was leaning towards Princess southbound out of Whittier but that isn't set in stone.

Always in planning mode :)

Patty

Thank for the responses as they pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. Now to find sailings that include Sitka? I was leaning towards Princess southbound out of Whittier but that isn't set in stone.

Always in planning mode :)

Patty

As I mentioned, out of Whittier, a Surprise glacier boat tour- usually has good sea otter sightings. Give a call to a vendor and inquire- their sighting stats perhaps?

Hello,

I've read multiple reports of seasickness and rough seas for the Kenai Fjords cruise out of Seward. I understand no one can predict the seas on any particular day but hope I can gain a better perspective. "Rough" to one may be easy to another.

We did Kenai several different days. One was on a Kenai Fjords cruise, and, that morning, they offered the ability to reschedule because of rough water, but we went anyway. (Several others opted out.) We were fine, but I'm good on the water and my husband took Bonine (non-drowsy, unlike Dramamine). The other trip was on a water taxi (we were heading out to kayak, but didn't get to do it because of the wind.) I didn't think either was overly rough, but I've got a relatively high tolerance (my husband, not so much, but he was also fine with both trips). Both were amazing trips. We saw otters, seals, whales, puffins, fabulous scenery. I haven't sailed out of Whittier, so I can't compare.

We did the 6 hour Kenai Fjords on Aug. 30th on a very rough and windy but sunny day. Wind gusts were over 50 mph, and our Captain said that the seas out in the Gulf were up to 9 feet. I get seasick very easily, but with 2 Bonine I was fine the whole time. A calmer day would, of course, been better for sightseeing, but we actually had a great time riding the waves. There are also enough coves and inlets that you will travel to where the waters are much calmer, so it isn't rough seas all day. I will say too that we didn't see any sea otters after leaving the immediate Seward area.

We did both the Surprise glacier cruise and the Kenai Fjords cruise this summer. We saw more sea otters on the Surprise glacier cruise (but that probably is different on every single cruise). In terms of sea sickness my husband and I are prone to sea sickness and really suffered on the Kenai Fjords cruise. We always have sea bands on (we both get bad side effects on Bonine) and they have made it possible for us to cruise on everything from the cruise ships to small fishing boats without any problem. We haven't suffered on any cruise ever since we started wearing the sea bands, except for the Kenai Fjords one. We were just bobbing for hours and didn't see enough wildlife to make it worth our while, in our opinion (my mom was fine and she really loved it, we just couldn't wait for it to be over). Our whole group preferred the Prince William Sound cruise.

We have been lucky on our two Kenai Fjords trips out of Seward, the ocean has been flat as glass both trips, but it can be rough. The thing to do is take a sea sick med BEFORE you get on the boat and then have a good time. We saw one pod of sea otters, and a number of whales.

Edited by zqvol

We saw one pod of sea otters, and a number of whales.

Just a clairfication - sea otter groups are not referred to as pods. They are rafts. One feature of seeing rafts is the more likely they will remain on the water instead of diving and leaving. Orcas can be solitary or in pods. Humpbacks are always solitary and only group up for short intervals.

I did the northwestern fjords tour with kenai fjords tours mid august and was sick for a good while. Lost my stomach twice. I was wearing the pressure point bands, had the prescription scopolamine behind the ear patch, took a bonine on the ship, ginger chews, saltine crackers and ginger ale.... and was still sick for a good few hours

I did the adventure bound ride to Tracy Arm from Juneau (10 hours) and was completely fine. Was fine on the ship too.

On the Kenai Fjords tour today we saw a couple of otters from the boat. But the fun with otters really started once we got back and tied up. Three otters were playing near the docks. Great place to watch and take photos super close. I have often seen otters in this area near the boat dock, but these hung around for quite a long time. In fact they stayed longer than I did :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have been out of Whittier and Seward a gazillion times, I think....Never counted but I fish out of both all summer....Anyway, my two cents. I think there are more otters in Seward, and frequently they are very near the shore...All of the boats have multiple routes and cruises...(out of Seward)...The 26 Glacier cruises guarantees no sea sickness or your money back. I believe they have never paid out.....You have conflicting currents out of Seward plus the weather off of the glaciers and ice fields....plus the fronts that roll through. If you don;t go out in the open ocean looking for Humpies and do one of the shorter cruises, it is likely not to be rough. That said....There is a weather condition that can set up very very quickly called the WilliWaws....it is sudden, the winds ferocious and it can get rough very fast....

In meteorology, a williwaw is a sudden blast of wind descending from a mountainous coast to the sea. The word is of unknown origin, but was earliest used by British seamen in the 19th century. The usage appears for winds found in the Strait of Magellan, the Aleutian Islands and the coastal fjords of the Alaskan Panhandle, where the terms outflow wind and squamish wind are also used for the same phenomenon.

The williwaw results from the descent of cold, dense air from the snow and ice fields of coastal mountains in high latitudes, accelerated by the force of gravity. Thus the williwaw is considered a type of katabatic wind.

that can happen anywhere up here in any of the Fjords.

Wow...now I'm kinda afraid!! I'm making my 3rd trip to Alaska next August and bringing 16 others. We are going out of Seward. We were going to go in early and stay over in the Kanai or Homer area and do some sightseeing a little different than Denali which we did before (Thank you Budget Queen!) I'm worried that some will get seasick now. I've told them that the waters are usually smoother cruising Alaska. I'm sure there are things we can do by land and still see wildlife. I just don't want to disappoint anyone, including me! I've been on 25 cruises with no seasickness but the last 2 I've taken I've been a little nauseous so I'm thinking I better start preparing for that. Any other ideas as to what to do in Seward for the day (we are taking the train in the morning from Anchorage) or from the Homer and Kanai area? I thought there were some glaciers available by driving.

Wow...now I'm kinda afraid!! I'm making my 3rd trip to Alaska next August and bringing 16 others. We are going out of Seward. We were going to go in early and stay over in the Kanai or Homer area and do some sightseeing a little different than Denali which we did before (Thank you Budget Queen!) I'm worried that some will get seasick now. I've told them that the waters are usually smoother cruising Alaska. I'm sure there are things we can do by land and still see wildlife. I just don't want to disappoint anyone, including me! I've been on 25 cruises with no seasickness but the last 2 I've taken I've been a little nauseous so I'm thinking I better start preparing for that. Any other ideas as to what to do in Seward for the day (we are taking the train in the morning from Anchorage) or from the Homer and Kanai area? I thought there were some glaciers available by driving.

Your first mistake was claiming, Alaska is "usually smoother", simply- not true. I have encountered many rougher sailing areas. Where there were sick passengers. You are on water, best to be conservative in your thinking.

the only suggestion- is to correct this, and be VERY clear- with any reference to a Kenai Fjords boat tour- IF there is any remote possibility of anyone having motion sickness- they need to either not go, or have precautions in place, by contacting their health care provider.

http://www.seward.com there is NO way 16 people are all going to have the same interests anyway. So, I suggest splitting up. this is better done- more efficiently ahead of time.

Budget Queen is correct....the only cruise that guarantees no sea sickness is the 26 Glacier Tour out of Whittier.....You can drive to Exit Glacier out of Seward.....but it is quite a hike back to the glacier...About 5-6 miles a year or so ago. Used to be quite close...not so now...They do have ranger walks back to the icefield and there are bears on the trails...:) or there can be...

You can drive to Exit Glacier out of Seward.....but it is quite a hike back to the glacier...About 5-6 miles a year or so ago. Used to be quite close...not so now...They do have ranger walks back to the icefield and there are bears on the trails...:) or there can be...

It's not nearly that far to the face of Exit Glacier (at least, not yet...) You can drive and take about a mile (flat) walk up to (near) the *face* of the Glacier (I say "near" because the face of it runs off into a shallow river). There's also a view of the Glacier closer to the parking lot - about 1/2 mile. Hiking up to the *top* of the Harding Ice Field, which is where Exit Glacier flows down from, is the longer trip - around 5 miles one way (but well worth it). This was from early June of last year, so there was still snow for the last 1-1/2 miles of the climb.

Here's the map for the trail up to ice field (you walk about a mile to get to the trail head. (I am in the habit of taking pictures of trail maps so I have them with me.) You can also see the "you are here" spot on the first photo. It's near the parking lot.

10395194_10203968390109732_5521843229299338540_n.jpg?oh=6805b49e522c37cbc4820633bdf66de7&oe=568975A7

10386852_10203968390989754_3245231834232827559_n.jpg?oh=ab876cacba4fb2103891ad42b33caae5&oe=56860616

Edited by azevedan

it was the longer trip that I was talking about....I think it has better views....but that is my opinion. Didn't go this summer....first summer in 10-12 years or so that I didn't go....it really has melted quite a bit. That said, we also have growing glaciers and they are as big of a problem as receding ones...Change is difficult from any stand point....:D

• 3 weeks later...