Look what P&O are trialing!

taffy62

Tried to upload a photo but it wouldn't work :(

On the current pacific pearl cruise that left Sydney today for the islands they are trialing the alcohol package :)

$69 per person per day.

My friends are on it but I didn't know this until just now whilst I was checking things for my up and coming carnival spirit cruise so it will be nice for my friends if they can get this and for us for when we next book with them.

Let's hope it works :)

Edited by taffy62

I hope it comes to carnival spirit as well before our cruise. I have friends who are on the sun princess ATM. Before she left she was told that she didn't have to buy it for the whole cruise but instead pay for it on a daily basis, not sure how true this is till she returns in a few days time.

I hope it comes to carnival spirit as well before our cruise. I have friends who are on the sun princess ATM. Before she left she was told that she didn't have to buy it for the whole cruise but instead pay for it on a daily basis, not sure how true this is till she returns in a few days time.

"Daily basis" on the Sun Princess would be great. Especially for long cruises like our upcoming one.

"Daily basis" on the Sun Princess would be great. Especially for long cruises like our upcoming one.

Contrary to everything thet I've heard about it.

I wonder if they were told something like "you pay on a per day basis" and misunderstood.

Contrary to everything thet I've heard about it.

I wonder if they were told something like "you pay on a per day basis" and misunderstood.

I agree, and I can't see it being viable, but they insisted that is what they were told, will have more on the weekend when they have returned. They were going to buy the princess's version of bottomless bubbles the upgraded version that included mo tails, water etc and then on sea days purchase the upgrade alcohol.

I can't see how that would work. I don't think the Princess systems would handle individual days, like that. I suspect she misunderstood.

You get a sticker on your cruise card that indicates to staff that you have the package, and I'm sure it also comes up on the tills when the barstaff swipe your card. There would probably be a mutiny by the barstaff if they also had to cope with checking whether the passenger was allowed alcohol that day or not, their systems are quite clumsy from what I saw.

There would probably be a mutiny by the barstaff if they also had to cope with checking whether the passenger was allowed alcohol that day or not, their systems are quite clumsy from what I saw.

...the staff dont like the package deals. Friends on an Alaskan cruise had a package included, but they found they had to wait to be served, and at dinner they were lucky to get 1 glass of wine and were then ignored as the staff looked after paying passengers who were tipping.:rolleyes:

...the staff dont like the package deals. Friends on an Alaskan cruise had a package included, but they found they had to wait to be served, and at dinner they were lucky to get 1 glass of wine and were then ignored as the staff looked after paying passengers who were tipping.:rolleyes:

It may be different on the US-based cruises because of the tipping. However we had the package on our recent Dawn Princess cruise and had superb service.

Our waiters in the MDR always made sure we had plenty of wine - our lovely assistant waiter went to the effort to track down some more pinot grigio for the next night after our restaurant ran out one night.

The bar waiters and bartenders also gave excellent service, we rarely had to wait more than a few minutes to be served.

On Solstice this year we had fantastic service with the premium drink package included.

As they need to swipe your card, I believe they get an "amount" for every drink they provide on the package so it worked to their advantage to take care of all guests, whether with a package or not.

In the bars they were constantly checking for refills, and in the dining room the Somellier would come around three or so times during a meal, even offering a complimentary wine match to what courses we ordered.

Was going to say like the above, that here where drink prices include tips already, it doesn't make a difference either way.

Agree that some of the US lines have had that issue since the extra tip is less likely under the package.