I'm back at Celebrity - what's new?

VTSKIandCRUISEGUY

Although I've been on 5 Celebrity cruises (6 if you count it's original incarnation as Chandris), we've been doing only Royal Carib for the last number of years.

Now we've booked the Infinity for next September, and we'll be Elite members for the first time.

So what's changed in 5 years, and what can I expect as an Elite?

Pluses and minuses are welcome.

Thanks.

----------------

Coupons in your stateroom for some free laundry, Internet minutes (I think 45 pp?) and others.

5 - 7PM cocktail party except for embarkation day and the officers party.

Elite breakfast, no hot food. Mimosas etc and Cappuccinos, lattes.

Speciality restaurant fees have all gone up.

This is a start for you.

The M Class ships have been "Solsticized", at which time new Aqua Class cabins were added to deck 11 and ocean view cabins were added to deck 3. The movie theater was removed. Bistro on 5 was added, as well as a Martini Bar.

In the last 5 years, specialty restaurant prices have doubled.

Higher prices, lower quality

Ouch... I just got a balcony on Silhouette 1C for $100 per night p/p.... that's not high IMHO :p

Yes some of the quality has declined but I thinks it's more of the overall cruising experience has changed over the last decade then quality

CC

no water pitchers in room. Ice bucket on request. No pool partys with food, fruits or desserts.

room service has a fee now during night hours.

no sorbets in MDR on formal nights, no gala night on last formal night. no brunch buffet.

Sorry, that nothing positive comes to my mind.

We sailed RCL probably over 10 years ago and on our last sail, the food was just pitiful - we have been pretty much on Celebrity ever since and while yes, there are some changes in that time - I still think it's a quality product for the price.

I'm pretty food fussy and IMO the MDR is pretty darn good. Good beef and good lamb entrees.....also there is the everyday menu to order from that has wonderful escargot and French onion soup. Yes, specialty restaurants are pricier, we do like Q-sine if you have a group and Tuscan grill, but usually do not go there unless we have an OBC to cover the cost.

I think overall service is still quite good altho I think less staff has to cover a bit more as far as rooms and even in the dining room. You can opt for select dining which we like as you can meet many people that way or opt for a two top. Entertainment is not our thing altho we do like trivia! and it is still offered.

I'm sure you realize that the X ships do not have some of the "splashy" bells and whistles as those RCL behemoths but that is just fine with us. I hope you enjoy your cruise!

We sailed RCL probably over 10 years ago and on our last sail, the food was just pitiful - we have been pretty much on Celebrity ever since and while yes, there are some changes in that time - I still think it's a quality product for the price.

I'm sure you realize that the X ships do not have some of the "splashy" bells and whistles as those RCL behemoths but that is just fine with us. I hope you enjoy your cruise!

We also left RCL for a few years due to declining quality, but we've seen a very nice uptick the past couple of cruises, especially in the food department.

We don't miss the bells and whistles of RCL ships when we're on Celebrity. It was just that the last couple of years, RCL had the right cruises at the right time from the right place. It also helped us reach Diamond level, which then bumped us up to Elite for Celebrity - and much faster than if we had stayed with Celebrity.

-------------------