Obligatory handwashing on Princess???

COLGATE

I too have had the head waiter squirting that stuff on entering the dinning room - ruined my dress - dripped every where on one cruise.

I would much rather wash my hands - or as stated use the Disney wipes - I do not toss them, take it to my seat and wipe my hands again before eating.

After using the menu, and pulling in my chair.

Just got off the Star this morning and after personally seeing 8 ambulances taking away sick passengers in Hawaii and hearing one passenger had died due to Noro I am disgusted by the OP comments.

People who think that basic hygiene is humiliating are the biggest cause of the virus spreading.

I was on the 27 day British Isles/TA, and sadly, by the last week of the cruise you could walk right past the attendant by the sinks and no one said a word. While the hand washing is a great policy it's only as good as enforcement. I complained to Passenger Services during week 3, and they had an extra attendant out for about an hour, and we never saw any increased enforcement.

I was on the 27 day British Isles/TA, and sadly, by the last week of the cruise you could walk right past the attendant by the sinks and no one said a word. While the hand washing is a great policy it's only as good as enforcement. I complained to Passenger Services during week 3, and they had an extra attendant out for about an hour, and we never saw any increased enforcement.

While on the Royal this spring for the TA/British Isles one attendant told us they could only suggest but could not force one to wash up.

Gee, I was on the same cruise and I dod not see that. There was online time where the attendant had stepped away for a minute. Otherwise, someone was there "on guard".

Also, virtually everyone I saw had no problem washing up before entering the buffet.

Gee, I was on the same cruise and I dod not see that. There was online time where the attendant had stepped away for a minute. Otherwise, someone was there "on guard".

Also, virtually everyone I saw had no problem washing up before entering the buffet.

Glad to hear that. It kind of gives some credence to the feeling that most people are more conscientious about preventing the passing on of germs than not. Just a few less-than-considerate folks that seem to cause most of the problems.

Just got off the Star this morning and after personally seeing 8 ambulances taking away sick passengers in Hawaii and hearing one passenger had died due to Noro I am disgusted by the OP comments.

People who think that basic hygiene is humiliating are the biggest cause of the virus spreading.

The issue of Noro on the Star was on the CTV/CBC National News (Canada) last night. They mentioned that it was a serious issue for public health Officials in Vancouver and that at least 5 people were seriously ill.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the hand washing camp. I am not a big fan of hand sanitizer.(I work in a hospital and it is forced on us) I feel it is over rated. On a cruise however I do both hand gel and hand wash before eating. Carnival, I have heard on some ships has these new automatic hand washing sinks. FYI, a website that sells these types of sinks says it only take 12 seconds to wash your hands.

Here is a video of what the sinks look like on the Carnival Sunshine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHcYUFHxMCY

This is what I would like to see on all ships. Just like the hand dryers that my college uses, they are a no brainer! :eek:

I read this thread before leaving for the Royal cruise & wasn't sure what to expect. Yes they did have someone at the entrance to the buffet (most times) and they did indicate that you should wash your hands (most times) as a lot of people did.

You always had the option of walking right by & pointing to the sanitize dispensers or standing in line for 4 or 5 minutes while others washed up.

I can't see why so many people would wait till the last minute to do so but some did without questioning. We always walked right by & never had any problems.

The sinks are convenient to wash up after eating though, especially after a messy meal. :D

Thank you Princess.

We just returned from a transatlantic cruise from Southampton to Ft Lauderdale on Royal Princess. To our astonishment, we were informed that in order to enter the cafeterias on Deck 16 all passengers were required to wash their hands, in view of the steward(s) at the door. Refusal was met with refusal to let the passenger enter the cafeteria.

After a week this humiliating practice ended and the ship (finally) installed the Purell machines all other cruise lines use (and which Royal Princess itself uses in the main dining rooms!) without announcement or explanation. An excess of zeal by the Capitain? Paranoia about shipboard viral :eek:contamination? Who knows? No official announcement of the policy or explanation was ever issued or given anyone.

Bizarre and very unsettling. Will be interested to see if future passengers encounter the same nonsense.

Okay... I didn't read all ten pages of comments but instead just a few here and there: enough to realized that many feel the same as I on this subject.

I will say that I FEEL that the OP's comments are an excellent example of what happens when someone ONLY thinks of themselves and doesn't care to look at the big picture.

Perhaps if one were to step out of their "me, me, me" world of ignorance then one could consider a few points:

1. TA cruises are long and isolated, sometimes without a port close by should there be a serious outbreak of illness.

2. The beginning of the cruise is just the right time to take greater precautions since asymptomatic passengers, who may have brought an illness on board with them, can spread illness without even knowing it. The OP noted that the practice was relaxed a week in, which is plenty of time for any passengers sick on embarkation to show signs and seek attention.

3. The "buffet," as more refined passengers refer to it, is ONE of the MOST LIKELY places where illness can be spread between passengers, as it becomes densely populated with passengers engaged in "hands to mouth" and "hands to communal surfaces (tongs, S&P shakers, etc.)"

I applaud Princess for ENFORCING and BARRING (rather than just suggesting, then backing off when a passenger refuses) sanitation rules.

I recall a cruise last year where an elderly, well-traveled lady in front of me was POLITELY ASKED by the staff member manning the Purell station at the entrance to the buffet to leave her personal mug with the attendant and NOT take it into the buffet area. The aggressive woman refused, stating that she was just going in to place an order for an omelet. The staff member relented. The passenger lied: after placing her omelet order, she took a plate and pushed between the line of people at various points to fill her plate, still with her mug.

Most people are aware and/or have seen signs at buffets indicating that you should always take a clean plate, the implication being that your used/dirty plate should NOT return to the buffet line for seconds. This old, self-absorbed hag, was overlooking that she had her mouth and hands on that mug, and Princess could not be assured that it wasn't contaminated. So they have a policy to protect other passengers by not allowing foreign items into the buffet line. She was only concerned about herself and filling her plate, not really even waiting her turn in line as she darted here and there, pushing between other waiting passengers.

I did approach the woman and called her out on what she was doing. Her response: "Get out of my face."

Sadly, in my conversation next with the attendant, she expressed concern about "getting in trouble" if the woman complained had she barred the woman entrance.

Oh, and how did I know she was well-traveled? Her cruise card around her neck was either Platinum or Elite.

I recall a cruise last year where an elderly, well-traveled lady in front of me was POLITELY ASKED by the staff member manning the Purell station at the entrance to the buffet to leave her personal mug with the attendant and NOT take it into the buffet area. The aggressive woman refused, stating that she was just going in to place an order for an omelet. The staff member relented. The passenger lied: after placing her omelet order, she took a plate and pushed between the line of people at various points to fill her plate, still with her mug.

Most people are aware and/or have seen signs at buffets indicating that you should always take a clean plate, the implication being that your used/dirty plate should NOT return to the buffet line for seconds. This old, self-absorbed hag, was overlooking that she had her mouth and hands on that mug, and Princess could not be assured that it wasn't contaminated. So they have a policy to protect other passengers by not allowing foreign items into the buffet line. She was only concerned about herself and filling her plate, not really even waiting her turn in line as she darted here and there, pushing between other waiting passengers.

I did approach the woman and called her out on what she was doing. Her response: "Get out of my face."

Sadly, in my conversation next with the attendant, she expressed concern about "getting in trouble" if the woman complained had she barred the woman entrance.

Oh, and how did I know she was well-traveled? Her cruise card around her neck was either Platinum or Elite.

Carrying a mug into the buffet line is only prohibited because of a possible spill and not because of any sanitary reasons. People are asked to leave their drinks at the entrance get their food & return for their drink or simply leave it on an empty table.

As long as the mug was empty it didn't present any problem.

Okay... I didn't read all ten pages of comments but instead just a few here and there: enough to realized that many feel the same as I on this subject.

I will say that I FEEL that the OP's comments are an excellent example of what happens when someone ONLY thinks of themselves and doesn't care to look at the big picture.

Perhaps if one were to step out of their "me, me, me" world of ignorance then one could consider a few points:

1. TA cruises are long and isolated, sometimes without a port close by should there be a serious outbreak of illness.

2. The beginning of the cruise is just the right time to take greater precautions since asymptomatic passengers, who may have brought an illness on board with them, can spread illness without even knowing it. The OP noted that the practice was relaxed a week in, which is plenty of time for any passengers sick on embarkation to show signs and seek attention.

3. The "buffet," as more refined passengers refer to it, is ONE of the MOST LIKELY places where illness can be spread between passengers, as it becomes densely populated with passengers engaged in "hands to mouth" and "hands to communal surfaces (tongs, S&P shakers, etc.)"

I applaud Princess for ENFORCING and BARRING (rather than just suggesting, then backing off when a passenger refuses) sanitation rules.

Well traveled or not they are everywhere.

Carrying a mug into the buffet line is only prohibited because of a possible spill and not because of any sanitary reasons. People are asked to leave their drinks at the entrance get their food & return for their drink or simply leave it on an empty table.

As long as the mug was empty it didn't present any problem.

Her mug was empty. I was behind her walking into the HC. The mug was empty: I could see that and so could the attendant.

So that shoots down your theory about spills.

We are just back from a cruise on the Royal and we washed our hands every time we entered the restaurants and then used the Pura on both entry and ( to me most important) on exit. Why would it be a problem or embarrassment to have to wash your hands . I seen many people pass by telling them they were not eating there and then go straight to sit at a table with out using the wash basins or Pura. These are the people you need to really worry about spreading germs as they most certainly will

be the ones who don't wash there hands after going to the toilet I feel.

You can't take too many precautions.

We are just back from a cruise on the Royal and we washed our hands every time we entered the restaurants and then used the Pura on both entry and ( to me most important) on exit. Why would it be a problem or embarrassment to have to wash your hands . I seen many people pass by telling them they were not eating there and then go straight to sit at a table with out using the wash basins or Pura. These are the people you need to really worry about spreading germs as they most certainly will

be the ones who don't wash there hands after going to the toilet I feel.

You can't take too many precautions.

Thats why we never eat in the buffet, I've witnessed to many people leave the washrooms and not wash there hands. Also we always get a table for 2 for the same reason. I watched a person leave the washroom without washing his hands. I was in the dinning room close to his table he sat down and grab a bun sitting at a table for 8. your typical slob. Can't deal with people like that. Never been sick on a cruise ship and hope to be able to continue that way.

Her mug was empty. I was behind her walking into the HC. The mug was empty: I could see that and so could the attendant.

So that shoots down your theory about spills.

Not a theory it's a fact that I was told on a few cruises. What could possibly wrong with her carrying her mug other than a possible spill which can cause an accident?

It sounds to me like an employee who didn't really understand the reasoning behind why they didn't want containers in that area.

I've been on several cruises, used the men room located nearest the dinning room and seen other GROWN ASS ADULT MEN leave after using the bathroom without washing their hands. Disgusted. I saw one do that and the next day he was at buffet, I cringed at the thought of using any utensil after him.

Not a theory it's a fact that I was told on a few cruises. What could possibly wrong with her carrying her mug other than a possible spill which can cause an accident?

It sounds to me like an employee who didn't really understand the reasoning behind why they didn't want containers in that area.

Sometimes I find it so laughable how DENSE people can be. Worried about a SPILL from a coffee mug? Silly! Consider that all those people have plates of food that can easily spill and drop on the floor.

The issue is SANITATION and that's why NOTHING other than oneself-- with clean hands-- should be entering the buffet area. I cited my example of another pax so self-absorbed and important that she disregarded safety instructions by crew because she only cared about herself, considering it perhaps analogous to the apparent self-centered view of the OP concerning a similar health/safety issue.

You seem so bent on correcting me on a bit of minutia that is NOT EVEN the point of this thread.

The topic of this long thread is about an OP that had their entire cruise ruined, needed several years of psychotherapy, and yet will still go to the grave thinking they were wronged by Princess simply because they were FORCED to wash their hands for the safety and well-being of 3,000+ other passengers.

Enough said.

I've been on several cruises, used the men room located nearest the dinning room and seen other GROWN ASS ADULT MEN leave after using the bathroom without washing their hands. Disgusted. I saw one do that and the next day he was at buffet, I cringed at the thought of using any utensil after him.

That's how it is on the Regal & Royal....and no one to remind to to wash up once you leave the restroom.

It's all up to the individual if they want to or not.

I like having the opportunity to wash my hands just before eating without having to use the sink in the bathroom which is what I used to do.

Although I am careful to not touch elevator buttons or handrails with my hands its so easy to get your hands contaminated on the walk from your cabin to the buffet.