Obligatory handwashing on Princess???

COLGATE

The Purell VF-481 sold in Europe has a blue colour while the "Purell Advanced" is clear. I can not verify (even on the Purell USA website) that Purell Advanced is the same formulation as VF-481. Can someone help verify that Purell Advanced really is the same as VF-481?

The Amazon.co.uk vendors for VF-481 will not ship to the USA. Searching for vf-481 on Amazon.com results in Advanced Formula, but the product images do not show VF481.

edit: http://www.gojo.com/united-states/brands/purell/product.aspx?sdid={9B7DEEC3-98D0-4CA6-9E74-71875998D933}

In the question area: "PURELL Advanced and PURELL VF481 are two different formulas"

Darn.

I would recommend sending an email with your inquiry to the US mfr using the contact info on their website. Companies always have a consumer inquiry dept.

DH and I are Platinum Princess cruisers who returned home two weeks ago from a cruise on NCL Breakaway to Bermuda.

That ship also has sinks located outside of the buffet,such as we had experienced on the Regal last winter.

Sometimes,there was a group singing songs about hand washing accompanied by a guitar player and a lady using a tambourine.

They made me smile for the silliness and their energy.

We always washed our hands,not because of the singing,but it is a good thing to do.

After all,Mom always told us to wash our hands before dinner,and Mom knows best!

I used the term ghestapo in a positive way, not negative. I remember watching Hogans Heroes as a kid, and they always acted very professional, and took their post very serious, thus the reference.

Uh, there is no positive spin to gestapo/**** secret police.

Edit- guess the site doesn't like the "n-zi" word

Edited by Tura Lura

I used the term ghestapo in a positive way, not negative. I remember watching Hogans Heroes as a kid, and they always acted very professional, and took their post very serious, thus the reference.

Hahahaha! Yep, that Hogan's Heroes was a true depiction of WWII. :rolleyes: But did they ever ask the prisoners to wash their hands?

I hate ALL hand sanitizers. Can't stand the feel of them or the smell. When we started cruising, I was able to fix that problem by going to Bath and Bodyworks and sampling all of their Pocket Bac scents. They have one called "Pumpkin Frost" which is now discontinued but can be bought on ebay. This scent for some reason doesn't leave the alcohol smell, and because of the little beads in it, doesn't feel slimy like the stuff Princess uses. I carry the Pocketbac in my pocket and once I get up to the ghestapo manning the purell station, I whip my Pumpkin Frost out and put it on. Most of the time, the person there wants to smell it and ends up having me squirt some on their hands because it smells and feels so much better than their stuff. Problem solved.

Have you verified that the hand sanitizers kill norovirus? It's not a matter of how good it feels or how good it smells. The issue is will it kill viruses? Most of the hand sanitizers available to the general public are only effective against bacteria.

We were pleased on a Royal cruise to see the little niche with the sinks for hand washing. Purell doesn't do the job, though it's better than nothing.

I don't understand why washing one's hands is humiliating.

I would be embarrassed if I had to be told to do it because I didn't plan to wash my hands before handling utensils and plates. Noro is too easily spread by bad hygiene, so why not wash?

We just returned from a transatlantic cruise from Southampton to Ft Lauderdale on Royal Princess. To our astonishment, we were informed that in order to enter the cafeterias on Deck 16 all passengers were required to wash their hands, in view of the steward(s) at the door. Refusal was met with refusal to let the passenger enter the cafeteria.

After a week this humiliating practice ended and the ship (finally) installed the Purell machines all other cruise lines use (and which Royal Princess itself uses in the main dining rooms!) without announcement or explanation. An excess of zeal by the Capitain? Paranoia about shipboard viral :eek:contamination? Who knows? No official announcement of the policy or explanation was ever issued or given anyone.

Bizarre and very unsettling. Will be interested to see if future passengers encounter the same nonsense.

Good that Princess did that!

We just returned from a transatlantic cruise from Southampton to Ft Lauderdale on Royal Princess. To our astonishment, we were informed that in order to enter the cafeterias on Deck 16 all passengers were required to wash their hands, in view of the steward(s) at the door. Refusal was met with refusal to let the passenger enter the cafeteria.

After a week this humiliating practice ended and the ship (finally) installed the Purell machines all other cruise lines use (and which Royal Princess itself uses in the main dining rooms!) without announcement or explanation. An excess of zeal by the Capitain? Paranoia about shipboard viral :eek:contamination? Who knows? No official announcement of the policy or explanation was ever issued or given anyone.

Bizarre and very unsettling. Will be interested to see if future passengers encounter the same nonsense.

People like you are the reason I never eat in the buffet. You think you can go touch the all serving utensils with your unwashed hands and it is ok. Everything you touch is passed on to the people behind you. Years ago I saw people use there hands put food back after they have touched it and sneeze on there hands and then continue on through the line. Leaving the washroom without washing hands to mention a few things people do. Slobs like you are the reason people get sick. You need a official announcement to wash up before eating.

Hi

So hand washing is an issue,

Just remember when you catch noro, why you did not want to spend a few seconds washing your hands

Yours Shogun

Washing your hands not only protects yourself but it also protects others around you. Being upset about having to wash your hands is extremely selfish.

We were on Royal at New Year and were delighted to see the sinks. We used them every time we went to the buffet but unfortunately very few people did so. Maybe because these washing stations are so well hidden? There was never anyone asking you to use these facilities, more's the pity

They did also have the Purell available and usually a member of staff holding it ready to squirt on your hands, but we felt very sorry for them as many passengers barged rudely by or simply refused. What a dreadful job!

Wish these washing areas were on every cruise ship.

As for being humiliated by being asked to wash their hands the OP should grow up! It is of benefit to both him and the passengers around him, and SHOULD be made compulsory!

I cringe at the number of people who don't bother to wash their hands after using the toilet. We never touch serving utensils in any buffet and always use a paper napkin or tissue to hold them, as that is one of the prime ways to avoid picking up germs.

If, indeed, Princess were requiring guests to wash their hands I would say WELL DONE PRINCESS!

And shame on you, OP, for taking such a request personally. Just wash your hands, for goodness sake!

Perhaps this is the time to repeat an oft posted issue. Most alcohol-based hand sanitzers (including the normal Purell formula) are not effective against Norovirus. The most effective prevention of Noro is to simply wash your hands with soap and water! Folks that refuse to wash their hands (or find that practice "humiliating") are putting themselves and all others passengers at greater risk for Noro and other viruses.

Hank

People like you are the reason I never eat in the buffet. You think you can go touch the all serving utensils with your unwashed hands and it is ok. Everything you touch is passed on to the people behind you. Years ago I saw people use there hands put food back after they have touched it and sneeze on there hands and then continue on through the line. Leaving the washroom without washing hands to mention a few things people do. Slobs like you are the reason people get sick. You need a official announcement to wash up before eating.

My dh saw someone put some potatoes back with their bare hands. The Princess employee didn't see it so my dh told him what happened. They immediately took the whole tray of food off the counter. Sad that someone would do this.

I have seen women walk out of bathroom stall and leave without visiting the sink to wash hands. Then one day I happened use a handicapped stall and noticed there is a sink in there. I still used the one in the main area because I felt cleaner to do so and not wanting anyone to think I had skipped the sink.

Do the sinks on the Royal and Regal in buffet area have water automatically come on when you put your hands under it, or do you have to touch the faucets?

I have seen women walk out of bathroom stall and leave without visiting the sink to wash hands. Then one day I happened use a handicapped stall and noticed there is a sink in there.

I remember when I figured that out. I thought women were just walking out, but I did feel silly when I realized there was a sink in there. It's like a whole separate room, not just a stall.

I also don't mean to pile on, but I have to say that I'm glad to hear this. I have been on several cruises with Norovirus and, fortunately, have never gotten it (on a cruise ship, at least) - knock virtual wood. I am diligent about washing my hands (though not obsessive), but have been absolutely appalled by how frequently I see people in the public restrooms either not wash their hands at all or simply run them under the water quickly (which does nothing but get them wet) and leave. Also, I almost never eat in the buffet, and a large part of the reason is the appalling behavior I've seen there with people touching several food items, taking something and then putting it back, etc. I am really not a germ-o-phobe, but when I'm on a cruise I don't feel it's worth the risk of getting sick and ruining my vacation when a simply hand wash will prevent it. Just my 2¢.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the fact that it is also a good idea to use hand sanitizer BEFORE you start eating, thus the pocket bac. There are many things that one picks up off their plate and eats with their hands (bread, grapes, etc) without thinking about the fact that MANY people manage to get into the buffet line without washing or sanitizing, and we touch and handle an average of 10-15 handles in there before we sit down to eat.