Obligatory handwashing on Princess???

COLGATE

Cruise lines use Purell's VF-481, not the standard over-the-counter product which relies on alcohol alone. This enhanced hand sanitizer has added ingredients specifically designed to be effective against Noro and other similar viruses. Hand washing is the gold standard, but VF-481 is still very effective.

I can confirm this, as I read the label on a container of it while a dispenser on the Ruby was being refilled last week. I saw the same on the Golden last year.

The thing about hand washing is that many people don't do it properly or long enough. Unfortunately, experts say you need 20 seconds of running water to wash effectively, and many public places have water-saving faucets that give you only a few seconds' worth at a time :(.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

We just returned from a transatlantic cruise from Southampton to Ft Lauderdale on Royal Princess. To our astonishment, we were informed that in order to enter the cafeterias on Deck 16 all passengers were required to wash their hands, in view of the steward(s) at the door. Refusal was met with refusal to let the passenger enter the cafeteria.

After a week this humiliating practice ended and the ship (finally) installed the Purell machines all other cruise lines use (and which Royal Princess itself uses in the main dining rooms!) without announcement or explanation. An excess of zeal by the Capitain? Paranoia about shipboard viral :eek:contamination? Who knows? No official announcement of the policy or explanation was ever issued or given anyone.

Bizarre and very unsettling. Will be interested to see if future passengers encounter the same nonsense.

This is the best idea, water and soap is the best measure, should not be humiliating but respectful of all passengers.

Edited by zahav1

I wonder where this is covered in the cruise contract?

Under "we do what we want and you will like it." :D Things are getting bad when common sense has to be spelled out in a contract. ;)

I wash with soap and water and Use sanitiser, my question is where do they get the power to make t obligatory to anyone who doesn't? The answer I'm afraid is they don't.

A regular sink as shown below. There were two sinks at each entrance top the buffet area.

990101%20048%2001.01.15%20Sink%20for%20handwashing%20aft%20entrance%20to%20Horizon%20Court%20DSC04466_zps9t3awxlk.jpg

Washing hands does not kill the norovirus, it removes it from the hands and down the sink the virus goes. The Purell neither kills it or removes it.

I was on P&O Cruises Britannia last month and they have a similar system. They have elongated sinks with taps for three users at once. When I first saw the sinks, not being used I thought to myself are we the passengers allowed to use them? After a day I could see we could and lots of people seemed to want to do the same. A good improvement.

Regards John

I wash with soap and water and Use sanitiser, my question is where do they get the power to make t obligatory to anyone who doesn't? The answer I'm afraid is they don't.

A lady ahead of me in line for the HC announced that she was allergic to Purell, so they let her go ahead without using it. I was expecting a staffmember to offer (or insist) on "scooping" her selections for her, but they let her do it herself.

I didn't know this. Thanks for the information. I found this article. Isn't the internet wonderful. Not the end all, but at least a start.

http://handwashingforlife.com/files/Norovirus_Study.pdf

Thank you for this link.

Page 40 "PURELL VF481 was very effective for both NV and SMV"

side note: Dr Marshall Lyon (mentioned in the acknowledgements) was one of the infectious disease doctors that treated the Ebola patients in Atlanta. He was one of the doctors who hugged the patient as he left Emory University Hospital.

This is really a no win situation for the cruise lines. They seem to use what's available to them to try and keep guests safe and healthy but there are those few who resist and make any excuse in the world not to follow instructions. And who gets blamed when Noro breaks out and it has to be reported and people are confined to their rooms? The cruise lines. And how many times have we heard it's not our fault it probably was brought on the ship by crew members. No win situation.

This is really a no win situation for the cruise lines. They seem to use what's available to them to try and keep guests safe and healthy but there are those few who resist and make any excuse in the world not to follow instructions. And who gets blamed when Noro breaks out and it has to be reported and people are confined to their rooms? The cruise lines. And how many times have we heard it's not our fault it probably was brought on the ship by crew members. No win situation.

The lines face many of these no-win situations. This being but one, some others that spring to mind:

Dress code

Smoking (must cause untold problems when a large number of Pax are from an area where it is still acceptable to smoke anywhere)

Tipping and removal of tips

Taking alcohol on board

Even responsible service of alcohol

The VF-481, marketed as "Purell Advanced" has been shown to be effective.

The Purell VF-481 sold in Europe has a blue colour while the "Purell Advanced" is clear. I can not verify (even on the Purell USA website) that Purell Advanced is the same formulation as VF-481. Can someone help verify that Purell Advanced really is the same as VF-481?

The Amazon.co.uk vendors for VF-481 will not ship to the USA. Searching for vf-481 on Amazon.com results in Advanced Formula, but the product images do not show VF481.

edit: http://www.gojo.com/united-states/brands/purell/product.aspx?sdid={9B7DEEC3-98D0-4CA6-9E74-71875998D933}

In the question area: "PURELL Advanced and PURELL VF481 are two different formulas"

Darn.

Edited by TwoBadKnees

Cruise Contract you agreed to Section 5:

Each passenger agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any passenger in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Passengers under their supervision.

Cruise Contract you agreed to Section 11:

You must at all times obey all the rules, regulations and orders of the ship, Carrier and the Captain.

I'd love to have a hand washing station on my next cruise. We wash up before heading to eat, then use the sanitizer, plus, right before eating, use our own sanitizing wipes that are good for fighting noro . Yes, a little paranoid of germiness, but every cruise I see people not washing after restroom visits, also Tasting food from their plates as they walk through a buffet line. I don't get it, so I just try to keep safe. Also I agree with the person who mentioned dirty menus, yuck!

The Purell VF-481 sold in Europe has a blue colour while the "Purell Advanced" is clear. I can not verify (even on the Purell USA website) that Purell Advanced is the same formulation as VF-481. Can someone help verify that Purell Advanced really is the same as VF-481?

The Amazon.co.uk vendors for VF-481 will not ship to the USA. Searching for vf-481 on Amazon.com results in Advanced Formula, but the product images do not show VF481.

edit: http://www.gojo.com/united-states/brands/purell/product.aspx?sdid={9B7DEEC3-98D0-4CA6-9E74-71875998D933}

In the question area: "PURELL Advanced and PURELL VF481 are two different formulas"

Darn.

Thanks for the further research. I may be a tad on the germaphobic side, but carry WetOnes that have the Benzenthonium Chloride 0.3% with me on the cruise. These are known to be slightly more effective than Purell. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Long's in Hawaii (aka CVS) used to carry the 144 bag of singles for cheap when it went on sale. They've stopped doing this and I can't find it anywhere for a decent price. So back to buying them in 24 package boxes.

Like others have said, the protection comes when you cleanse your hands AFTER going through the buffet and AFTER you look at the menu.

Please, please, please, I know it is also your cruise, but if you are sick, don't share it with me or the other passengers.

Thank you

As pointed out previously, the Purell used by the cruise lines does kill Noro. Not trying to argue but I think people would comply more if they realize that it does work.
Except if you're allergic to it, which I am as are many other people. Just because I refuse to use the Purell doesn't make me an evil person. I'd rather not have my hands blow up, be itchy and look like alligator skin. Hand washing is always the better option.

When we were on the Royal for our 26 day cruise this past April - May we ALWAYS used the hand washing sinks. The attendants always directed people to use them. The first couple of days we always saw people use them but after that… not so much. We talked with one of the attendants who explained to us they can not force anyone but just gently point to them and advise people to use them. There were Purell dispensers inside the HC just before you got to the food.

I noticed so many dressed to the nines women leaving the toilet without so much as trying to wash their hands it was disturbing. I was so careful on our last cruise to wash and sanitize but got sick my last few days. If you don't want to follow simple rules on a cruise ship then why do you go on a cruise at all? To complain that you have to wash your hands is ludicrous. Some folks think the rules are never for them.

I hate ALL hand sanitizers. Can't stand the feel of them or the smell. When we started cruising, I was able to fix that problem by going to Bath and Bodyworks and sampling all of their Pocket Bac scents. They have one called "Pumpkin Frost" which is now discontinued but can be bought on ebay. This scent for some reason doesn't leave the alcohol smell, and because of the little beads in it, doesn't feel slimy like the stuff Princess uses. I carry the Pocketbac in my pocket and once I get up to the ghestapo manning the purell station, I whip my Pumpkin Frost out and put it on. Most of the time, the person there wants to smell it and ends up having me squirt some on their hands because it smells and feels so much better than their stuff. Problem solved.

We are currently on the first two Royal Princess Caribbean cruises following the Transatlantic. Hand washing is required at the two sinks prior to entering the buffet. I feel sorrow for the poor guy who is enforcing it, though most comply cheerfully. I am for just about any preventive measures that might help keep me from getting sick on a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very glad they are doing it on the Royal as you are sailing. We will be joining you Thursday Oct 1st for your second Caribbean leg so keep them all washing. I want to sail a healthy ship :) with you.

George in NY

We just returned from a transatlantic cruise from Southampton to Ft Lauderdale on Royal Princess. To our astonishment, we were informed that in order to enter the cafeterias on Deck 16 all passengers were required to wash their hands, in view of the steward(s) at the door. Refusal was met with refusal to let the passenger enter the cafeteria.

After a week this humiliating practice ended and the ship (finally) installed the Purell machines all other cruise lines use (and which Royal Princess itself uses in the main dining rooms!) without announcement or explanation. An excess of zeal by the Capitain? Paranoia about shipboard viral :eek:contamination? Who knows? No official announcement of the policy or explanation was ever issued or given anyone.

Bizarre and very unsettling. Will be interested to see if future passengers encounter the same nonsense.

I am surprised that you would feel humiliated by a practice designed to prevent the spread of norovirus. Perhaps you should do some research before complaining.

If you had done this research, you would have found that handwashing is by far superior to halting the spread of viruses than Purell. You would also have found that cruise lines often employ enhanced sanitation procedures during the first few days after boarding. It is during this period when passengers who boarded with norovirus are most likely to spread contamination to their fellow passengers. For example, HAL often does not allow passengers to serve themselves in the cafeteria for three days after boarding.

Quite frankly, I would guess that the majority of cruisers would find your 'humiliation' a small price to pay to avoid noro.

I would also guess that the majority of cruise critic would applaud these actions of the cruise line.

When we were on the Royal for a 7 day cruise out of FLL, the first few days they insisted everyone wash their hands at the sinks. I wonder how many actually did properly wash their hands as you cannot see them doing it. After a few days they let pax use the hand cleaner instead of washing their hands but pax had to do one or the other. Most pax chose the hand cleaner for what it was worth.

I was on the same cruise and we never felt humiliated by the washing process. Moreover, as far as I can tell none of the other people we saw felt that way. Most people were happy to see the cleanliness practice in use.

The attendants were always friendly and would even hold my Pizza while I washed (I like pizza DW prefers the buffet.)

The stations are permanently installed and are intended to be used!

I hate ALL hand sanitizers. Can't stand the feel of them or the smell. When we started cruising, I was able to fix that problem by going to Bath and Bodyworks and sampling all of their Pocket Bac scents. They have one called "Pumpkin Frost" which is now discontinued but can be bought on ebay. This scent for some reason doesn't leave the alcohol smell, and because of the little beads in it, doesn't feel slimy like the stuff Princess uses. I carry the Pocketbac in my pocket and once I get up to the ghestapo manning the purell station, I whip my Pumpkin Frost out and put it on. Most of the time, the person there wants to smell it and ends up having me squirt some on their hands because it smells and feels so much better than their stuff. Problem solved.

Any reason why you call the, mostly friendly, people that man the stations "g(h)estapo"?

Theo