Not happy in San Pedro

xyankee

When we've had a suite before becoming elite, they gave us a cardboard card to show the person guarding the suite/elite area. I think the trick is to be sure you check in from the suite line.

Or ask for that card when checking in on another line.

We just returned from the Ruby Princess sailing out of San Pedro on the 21st. I can't say enough nice things about the staff at the port. They were all very friendly and helpful. It's not always what you ask but how you ask. We had a question that was handled quickly and far beyond anything we expected. The staff at San Pedro are excellent!

We just returned from the Ruby Princess sailing out of San Pedro on the 21st. I can't say enough nice things about the staff at the port. They were all very friendly and helpful. It's not always what you ask but how you ask. We had a question that was handled quickly and far beyond anything we expected. The staff at San Pedro are excellent!

Or whom you ask. I have been in and out of San Pedro many times, and sometimes you'll encounter helpful and friendly people and sometimes not. I have seen polite passengers snarled at by grumpy staff and vice versa. I guess you were lucky to pass through the port on everyone's good day.

My DH and I who are both Elite were boarding with my then 5 YO grandson. We were in San Pedro and asked about the Elite lounge and were told that WE could go in there but since my grandson was not elite he could not. She gave us the option to sit outside the lounge or leave him by himself. Does that sound like nice helpful people. We were one of the first people there so there was no crowding but what moron tells anyone they can leave their 5 YO to sit by himself in a crowded waiting room because he doesn't have the same status as them?

So we sat with him....:rolleyes: Next cruise he'll be platinum so we won't have to leave him unsupervised in a crowded room with thousands of strangers for an hour or so.

Edited by notentirelynormal

On our last Princess out of San Pedro we were put into the boarding line while others were directed to go sit. This was only our second Princess cruise and no suite so it wasn't a status thing. The shore side employees do not belong to any particular cruise line and we have had trouble with them from time to time all over the world, not just in SP. We are boarding in SP tomorrow (Royal/Jewel OTS) and our status will not print on our boarding pass (SS Pass) so I'm once again expecting trouble. I guess just part of the joys of cruising.

We had a similar issue at FLL while travelling in a suite. When we were directed to the standard boarding area, I said no, we're in a suite. After talking to three agents and a supervisor, we were shown to a half full waiting area for suites/elites.

After we boarded, everyone kept trying to send us to the buffet. We went to Alfredos.

On our last Princess out of San Pedro we were put into the boarding line while others were directed to go sit. This was only our second Princess cruise and no suite so it wasn't a status thing. The shore side employees do not belong to any particular cruise line and we have had trouble with them from time to time all over the world, not just in SP. We are boarding in SP tomorrow (Royal/Jewel OTS) and our status will not print on our boarding pass (SS Pass) so I'm once again expecting trouble. I guess just part of the joys of cruising.

We had a similar issue at FLL while travelling in a suite. All the port personnel wanted to direct us to the standard waiting area.

If he is still under 18, he will get a blue card. No status until an adult.

I'm quite aware that he won't get status. That has nothing to do with asking adults to leave a 5 YO alone in a room with strangers for an hour or so. How many other thousands have asked if non elites can join them and board with them and everyone says sure. But it isn't okay for a 5 YO? Really. You took my comment to mean he should be recognized and not that he was five years old?

. . . Next cruise he'll be platinum so we won't have to leave him unsupervised in a crowded room with thousands of strangers for an hour or so.

I'm quite aware that he won't get status. That has nothing to do with asking adults to leave a 5 YO alone in a room with strangers for an hour or so. How many other thousands have asked if non elites can join them and board with them and everyone says sure. But it isn't okay for a 5 YO? Really. You took my comment to mean he should be recognized and not that he was five years old?

Why are you biting that other poster's head off when you're the one who said the kid would be Platinum on his next cruise. No, he won't be, unless his next cruise is not for another 13 years.

When we sailed out of San Pedro in February we were traveling with friends who were Platinum. We were given a single Elite boarding card for our cabin and our friends were given a single Platinum boarding card for their cabin. We went to wait with our friends in the Platinum seating area but after a few minutes I walked over to the Elite lounge to check it out. When I came back to the Platinum area a Princess rep gave me a second Elite boarding card and told me to bring our friends to the Elite lounge. With the two boarding cards between the four of us no questions were asked as were entered the lounge. There were less than two dozen people in the Elite lounge that day.

Why are you biting that other poster's head off when you're the one who said the kid would be Platinum on his next cruise. No, he won't be, unless his next cruise is not for another 13 years.

I guess because of the exact story that IECalCruiser tells. His friends whose level he mentions could join him. I should have said my grandson was on his fifth cruise, would that have made it better. For that matter it could have been his first. The bottom line was I was told the 5 YO was couldn't join the adults he was traveling with. Seriously, you think that a small child should not have been allowed to join us because Princess doesn't officially acknowledge his levels until he is 18? I was actually throwing in the Platinum comment as a joke because based on his age it should have been a non issue. Sorry, but this was wrong in so many respects and if you want to split hairs.... well, I guess that is what you need to do. We chose to stay with the kid. YMMV.

Regardless, do you really in your heart believe that we shouldn't be able to use the Elite lounge unless we abandon a 5 YO? That the agent was right to tell us that? I don't care if it was bright pink - the kid was FIVE YEARS OLD. Who leaves a 5 YO? There was NO ONE in the Elite lounge. We were the first 10 people in the entire building.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I guess because of the exact story that IECalCruiser tells. His friends whose level he mentions could join him. I guess I should have said my grandson was on his fifth cruise, would that have made it better. The bottom line was I was told the 5 YO was couldn't join the adults he was traveling with. Seriously, you think that a small child should not have been allowed to join us because Princess doesn't officially acknowledge his levels until he is 18? Sorry, but this was wrong in so many respects and if you want to split hairs.... well, I guess that is what you need to do. We chose to stay with the kid. YMMV.

Without going over your old posts but don't you have a young daughter or am I thinking of someone else? Do you really in your heart believe that we shouldn't be able to use the Elite lounge unless we abandon a 5 YO? That the agent was right to tell us that?

We could only have our friends join us because the Princess rep gave us a second Elite boarding card. Please note that I did not wave my Black Card and demand special privileges for our friends. We were very content to wait in the Platinum area with them. I have no idea why the Princess rep decided to give us the second Elite boarding pass but I wasn't going to argue. The real point here is that when we sailed in February they only required that one passenger in the cabin be Elite. If your grandson was sharing your cabin I don't understand why he couldn't be with you in the Elite Lounge.

We could only have our friends join us because the Princess rep gave us a second Elite boarding card. Please note that I did not wave my Black Card and demand special privileges for our friends. We were very content to wait in the Platinum area with them. I have no idea why the Princess rep decided to give us the second Elite boarding pass but I wasn't going to argue. The real point here is that when we sailed in February they only required that one passenger in the cabin be Elite. If your grandson was sharing your cabin I don't understand why he couldn't be with you in the Elite Lounge.

Yes, it was just the three of us sailing. It makes little to no sense. I wasn't waving anything either. We simply inquired about the lounge. She asked to see our boarding passes. Read his and that was her answer. Some people should not be allowed to deal with the public. It's not like we were being pushy. Like I said, we were the first few people there and had seats right in front because of it. This thread is about situations about dealing with agents at San Pedro so thought my comments were reasonable to add.

Sorry you experienced this. It sounds like a training issue. I was yelled at (!) by one of the Form Ladies of San Pedro last week. I took a health questionnaire to fill out from a pile on the counter, but was apparently supposed to ask first :rolleyes:.

Ha! :D The Form Ladies in San Pedro are the worst! They scare me to death.

Back in January, we were stopped from getting onto the escalator because the "form lady" had used a pen instead of a highlighter to check off our answers. Had to go back to a different station, fill out the form AGAIN, and make sure a highlighter was used to verify our answers before the gatekeeper would allow us to pass. Apparently a lack of training or common sense on their part constitutes a delay on our part - sheesh, they make the TSA look intelligent!

DW has now added a highlighter to her purse... :D

Grey

Edited by Greyhound3

Back in January, we were stopped from getting onto the escalator because the "form lady" had used a pen instead of a highlighter to check off our answers...DW has now added a highlighter to her purse...

Be careful--they might change the color of highlighter used from one cruise to the next just to trip you up ;).

I am joining the group expressing unhappiness with the San Pedro embarkation process, which is not in the hands of Princess. I realize the purpose of the health questionnaire and though it would be helpful to fill it our ahead of time, I know that is not the plan.

I wish, however, that the port would at least provide better places to complete this process. This past week we boarded and it was a virtual zoo in the small area designed for this task. There was no place to fill it out. People were crowding. The port staff was less then friendly.

We have left from other ports in the world and they provided much more space and a friendlier environment.

If San Pedro can not improve this process, perhaps we could just fill them out at the check in desk. It only takes a minute. We would all be in a much better frame of mind when boarding the ship.

We had a similar issue at FLL while travelling in a suite. When we were directed to the standard boarding area, I said no, we're in a suite. After talking to three agents and a supervisor, we were shown to a half full waiting area for suites/elites.

After we boarded, everyone kept trying to send us to the buffet. We went to Alfredos.

This was my first reaction when the OP was treated so poorly.

Knowing you are correct in what you are asking for, do not hesitate to ask for the person's superior. Poor training is no excuse for poor customer service.

This is what I would do: if they persist get their reasons why and then get their names and then write them down and then report it later.

Training may be poor at all levels and Princess does not know about this unless someone tells them, especially if they are not Princess employees yet representing the company. :)

WE have sailed out of San Pedro many times and for the most part the staff have been great and really friendly. On a cruise that we went on with our son and his wife and some friends we encountered an extremely rude woman who was barking out orders to everyone. When we went to check in we were with our son and his wife. I had booked the cruise for them and I made the mistake of putting my DIL's maiden name on the booking because I didn't think her Japanese passport had her married name on it. When they were trying to check in there was some confusion and the lady helping us what not sure what to do. So here comes the very rude lady who laid into the gal helping us and into me about this. She said we needed to get a new TA! I explained it was my error and not the TA's. Eventually it was all worked out but it was not a pleasant check in experience at all. I have seen that same gal being rude to other passengers since then. She apparently likes to be in charge of everything and everybody. I did not see her on the last cruise we took but we embarked at the other pier. That in itself was a nightmare but we eventually boarded along with lots of others. We are Elite and the elite boarding didn't happen. Not a big deal. We got on the ship plenty early and enjoyed lunch in the MDR and a wonderful cruise.

WE have sailed out of San Pedro many times and for the most part the staff have been great and really friendly. On a cruise that we went on with our son and his wife and some friends we encountered an extremely rude woman who was barking out orders to everyone.

I think I know who you mean.

The same shore side company has the contract for both SF and LA with Princess. If you have a problem at either location ask if "Johnny O. is there". He is the person at the top of the ladder for the company and almost all of the blue jacket, red tie and white hat folks will know who you mean. If they don't know---They are really new to the operation-He gets around!