FTTF, toddler, and a complicated question.

angiegal

We booked FTTF on our November cruise on the Pride mainly so we can get into our cabin early on embarkation day. We are bringing our 18 month old son along and bringing a toddler means carrying on more than we are used to so being able to drop stuff in our cabin when we board is worth the $60 to me. Anyway.... We have two cabins but one FTTF. We had to book one parent and one child in each cabin but when we board, DD will be in one room and toddler will be with DH and I. When we board, the toddler and I will have FTTF but DH and DD will not. Will we need to have letters of authorization for our children to travel without a parent? We won't be checking in together but we will be getting on the same ship and our bookings are together. I asked the PVP when we booked and he said it won't be an issue but the closer we get to the date, the more I worry (I'm a worrier lol). Has anyone had any experience with this?

I wouldn't worry about the authorization letter. Their system will tell them you have 2 rooms and I am sure they won't even bat an eye. Absolutely worst case, you would have to "present" your husband to them, but since he is going to be there at the terminal checking in that won't be a problem.

Hi,

I am pretty sure you meant to write that DH and DD are in the same room yes?

Permission letters from parents are when you take a child on a vacation withOUT the other parent! They are not merely for people who are in different cabins on the same ship! There is no need to worry as both parents are traveling at the same time.

They just won't board with you.

How old is the daughter? Is she checking in with her father? Shouldn't be any issue, but to firm up the details- having the birth certificate will prove both parents are on board.

She is 17 and has a passport. And yes, we are both bio parents to both kids so that info is in her passport. I'll probably have the birth certificate just in case.

Don't stress over this you'll be fine. I've cruised with the DS and his BFF several times and though I've always had the required permission for the BFF...they've never asked us for it once! Relax and enjoy your lead up to your cruise.;)

Edited by mousey

Same here, I've travelled with my sister and her daughter and they never asked us (not saying they couldn't) just to put your mind at ease. Besides your Daughter and husband will be right there and they will be able to call you over if they do want varify who everyone is.

Also it's very common for one parent and one child to be booked in two separate cabins, they see it dozens of times each week. I can't believe it has never happened where the two parents check in at different desks for whatever reason.

So try not to worry, your fine.

My wife and I travel regularly out of country with our grandson. We are obviously not his parents. We have never been asked for anything other than passports (of course everyone is asked for passports). We always have a notarized letter from my daughter (single parent) but have never been asked for anything beyond passport.

In your case, both parents are traveling - you are way over-thinking this.

I WAS asked, and HAD to produce them, not just at the cruise check in (twice), but also twice when crossing the Canadian boarder for the parent documentation for my minor nephews.

So, all those claims- above, about they weren't asked- was NOT known until hindsight. Nobody knew in advance if they would need the documents or not. So what do you think would have happened if you didn't have them in my case?

Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone. I think I am over thinking it. Worst case scenario is we have to check in together ;)

In your situation I do think you are over thinking. Because dad and daughter are checking in for one cabin and you and son are checking in for another. But your case is unique because both parents are on the ship's manifest, you're just checking in at separate times. If they would happen to say where is the dad of your son? You could just say oh he's here, he's traveling with us but checking in for our other cabin. He's in cabin XXXX. Personally that's what I would do. If they really needed you to prove it, they could get him. That's better than any letter.

I WAS asked, and HAD to produce them, not just at the cruise check in (twice), but also twice when crossing the Canadian boarder for the parent documentation for my minor nephews.

So, all those claims- above, about they weren't asked- was NOT known until hindsight. Nobody knew in advance if they would need the documents or not. So what do you think would have happened if you didn't have them in my case?

What would happen at the Canadian border is unknown as some get thru without said letter and some do not. They are quite anal there about the letter. And it is a requirement.

On the cruise, absolutely nothing if you are talking about carnival. The letter is not required.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk