Tropical Storm Joaquin's effect on Breakaway cruise 10/4

Mikkar

I realize this is pretty pathetic but I'm desperate! If anyone is on the Breakaway with me right now - Oct 4 - I somehow left behind an item that I desperately need!!

If anyone has a bottle of Miralax that they are willing to sell to me please call me or find me - I'm in 14754!!!! I will pay good $$$$!!!

Thank you!!

PS if only sea sickness cured "that" too - lol.

:D Wow 3 days without Miralax. Time to start seriously drinking. :D

We sailed out of Bayonne NJ Oct. 28, 2012 on RC Explorer of the Seas. We left port at 4:00PM, and they closed the port at 6:00PM. Hurrican Sandy hit on Monday, Oct. 29. We sailed down the coast, then turned east and headed to Bermuda. We had a very rough night, with 45 ft. + waves, and constant winds over 100, and gusts up to 187. We did make it to Bermuda on time, and have some minor damage to the ship. On our first full sea day, they had to close down the buffet just after breakfast. They served sandwiches and free bottled water in the Promenade. They also had the dining room open with a limited menu. By dinner, the buffet was open again. We received no compensation from RC. I didn't think anything of it. Never expected anything from them. I'm sure there were many passengers that thought they should have gotten something.

The weather is something that cannot be controlled, and hurricanes are a part of what happens. People that cruise should understand the risks associated with cruising during the hurricane season. If you do not get the insurance, then too bad for you. It is certainly not fair to the people that pay for insurance to have a cruise line give special treatment to people that do not buy insurance.

It's too bad they couldn't let passengers leave the ship for a few hours, if they desired....

If I am not mistaken, they do allow passenger's to spend the night "on-the-town", for those few ships on extended calls at NYC....

Speaking of which...the Crystal Symphony is sharing Pier 88 with the Breakaway....

Between the Breakaway's bridgecam, the Symphony's portside cam, and the New York Port webcam....one can have a great view of the Breakaway, and its eventual sailaway, if staying up that late.....:cool:

What's hysterical is when those who book a cruise during hurricane season get get upset if/when a hurricane or tropical storm actually happens and expect the cruiseline to reimburse them for missing ports or changing their route.

exactly!

I agree the cruise line owes nothing in the event of change of itinerary and disruption because of weather. However, it is worth remembering hurricane season is a full six months of the year. It goes from June 1 to November 30. It's hard to avoid it if one sails the East Coast primarily. It shouldn't be implied, IMO, that someone was irresponsible to book a cruise for early October.

Edited by sail7seas

So, as much as I love that boat and trip, I'm not sure what those on the bridge and at the crystal palace in Miami are looking at, but from tonight straight through tomorrow, almost immediately after leaving coastal waters forecast calls for 15-20 foot seas and as you sail further from mainland toward the island 20-30 and higher!! and not forecasted to subside until the 6th. There's no real way to circumnavigate due to the storms size and wave pattern from the center. All I could think is you may burn fuel out there just off shore of NJ for a while, but I'd be surprised if that happened (too costly)

Again I'm not sure what those with operational control (more than just Captain) are looking at, or what safety margin they are applying, or if revenue is driving this decision, however a 2am push off the dock is in my personal opinion not a safe call.

Buckle up. Wish you safe travels.

If anyone on board wants to update this thread with "the plan" and a how goes it, I for one would be interested to hear.

Edited by SailBreakaway

Not sure what awaits us, but we have left the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and heading down the Hudson. Here's hoping for mildly rocky sailing as opposed to the alternative!!!

Will get a quick shot of the Statue of Liberty than bedtime!

Sailbreakaway, there has been no update since the letter at checkin saying we would leave at 2am, which we just did. I'll be waiting for announcement in the AM...

I'm so sorry. Like I said I was desperate. In tears all afternoon. Sorry :(

I have followed this thread since I live in South Jersey coastal and was interested how you will all make out. I know it seems far away but there is a drugstore right at the dockyard once you get to Bermuda.. Go past where the ferries are. It is between the first buildings and the mall..

I am totally OCD even if I won't admit it to my husband and I go crazy with my "lists" so to think you forgot something you need.. Awful.. Maybe try certain foods that could help you out while you have internet..

A few "news" gathered from various sources: worst is over for those on the islands, tropical storm warning in effect now - Joaquin is 120 miles north of the island heading east out away from US mainland.

Dockyard's livecam is offline, it was knocked off its post on the roof last night - according to local utilties, about 1 out of 4 residents are without power (15,000+ people) and recovery crew should be in action shortly. Gov't Emergency Broacast Station has been experiencing off-and-on technical problems. Latest forecast for sea conditions out to 25 miles from the island is rough, 20 to 25 ft. waves & higher, improving on Tuesday & calming down later in the week.

Search for (lesser known) Cooper Island's live webcam - Port of Ireland Island, Bermuda - up & running (surprise, it is also at Dockyard but ship coverage) - for a live view of the island. According to FB blogs, some of smaller vessels were in danger overnight with the storm hammering - apparently, all was fine.

BA was last tracked on maritime sites at 5 AM heading straight for Bermuda (was thinking that it might track south, hug closer to the Jersey coast before turning toward the Atlantic ... but, that's the ship Captain's skills & tasks with the latest weather & radar tracking data, and, it's a mega ship - all systems going) Ship's webcam has satellite coverage & showing light "chops" and wavelets for now, it will soon run into rougher seas - going from 10' to 15' seas and then 20 to 25 and even 30+ seas coming across the bow at angles, port side to starboard - sideway movements are going to be felt, the stabilizers can only do so much.

CCL's Splendor is heading toward Boston in the north Atlantic around the Cape Cod waters and it is running into rougher seas, wind & rain - look that up on ship's live webcam.

Those on the Breakaway - have a SAFE sailing and enjoy the indoors for the next day or two, holding on to the railings. Room Service will be a "little" slower and take longer. Under adverse weather conditions, satellite coverage for internet access might be "challenged" or difficult.

Anyone onboard her now, with unlimited internet - loved to read about updates ... Tapatalk is the best for doing it.

Just talked with my daughter who lives in Bermuda. They lost power around 10pm last night. Very rough and loud last night with ocean and wind. Still the same today, she drove her husband to work in Hamilton, said leaves down not trees. I imagine by wednesday Breakaway would be able to get into Port. Forecasting rain most of week

A few "news" gathered from various sources: worst is over for those on the islands, tropical storm warning in effect now - Joaquin is 120 miles north of the island heading east out away from US mainland.

Dockyard's livecam is offline, it was knocked off its post on the roof last night - according to local utilties, about 1 out of 4 residents are without power (15,000+ people) and recovery crew should be in action shortly. Gov't Emergency Broacast Station has been experiencing off-and-on technical problems. Latest forecast for sea conditions out to 25 miles from the island is rough, 20 to 25 ft. waves & higher, improving on Tuesday & calming down later in the week.

Search for (lesser known) Cooper Island's live webcam - Port of Ireland Island, Bermuda - up & running (surprise, it is also at Dockyard but ship coverage) - for a live view of the island. According to FB blogs, some of smaller vessels were in danger overnight with the storm hammering - apparently, all was fine.

BA was last tracked on maritime sites at 5 AM heading straight for Bermuda (was thinking that it might track south, hug closer to the Jersey coast before turning toward the Atlantic ... but, that's the ship Captain's skills & tasks with the latest weather & radar tracking data, and, it's a mega ship - all systems going) Ship's webcam has satellite coverage & showing light "chops" and wavelets for now, it will soon run into rougher seas - going from 10' to 15' seas and then 20 to 25 and even 30+ seas coming across the bow at angles, port side to starboard - sideway movements are going to be felt, the stabilizers can only do so much.

CCL's Splendor is heading toward Boston in the north Atlantic around the Cape Cod waters and it is running into rougher seas, wind & rain - look that up on ship's live webcam.

Those on the Breakaway - have a SAFE sailing and enjoy the indoors for the next day or two, holding on to the railings. Room Service will be a "little" slower and take longer. Under adverse weather conditions, satellite coverage for internet access might be "challenged" or difficult.

Anyone onboard her now, with unlimited internet - loved to read about updates ... Tapatalk is the best for doing it.

Bermudas Dockyard Camera is not of line, it is on its side but still working

you can see a little of the water and the Building by the Dock and you can hear the wind blowing.

Was hoping to hear from some folks on the boat. Should be getting Into the thick of it about now. I'm just trying to understand, and this is just me talking, if we booked this week I'd be onboard, but why push it and take the folks through really rough seas, no topside time, and even some extreme borderline risky conditions to rush out to get to an island that JUST got whacked with a hurricane and is without power, trying to recover, and get even a little bit back on their feet. Why dump 4000 people onto that island and situation after going through all that at sea. Even the harbor staff sent a message, don't rush out here, and that's exactly what they're doing. A trip up north through New England like RC or Carbival did might have been more enjoyable for everyone. Anyway, just my $0.02. Remember the worse day on that beautiful boat is light years better than the best day here!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm back online - was without power for 22 hours. we were in the last 1/4 to be restored.

Joaquin wasn't bad - well, the aftermath wasn't bad at all - as compared to both Fay and Gonzalo last year.

Bermuda has recovered. The waters are calming down as the winds disperse.

Bermuda will be fine and welcoming to Breakaway on Wednesday!

This morning the seas were too rough so it was good that the 2 ships Carnival Sunshine and RC Liberty OTS went elsewhere.

Long wet windy storm but minimal aftermath, thank goodness.

Was hoping to hear from some folks on the boat. Should be getting Into the thick of it about now. I'm just trying to understand, and this is just me talking, if we booked this week I'd be onboard, but why push it and take the folks through really rough seas, no topside time, and even some extreme borderline risky conditions to rush out to get to an island that JUST got whacked with a hurricane and is without power, trying to recover, and get even a little bit back on their feet. Why dump 4000 people onto that island and situation after going through all that at sea. Even the harbor staff sent a message, don't rush out here, and that's exactly what they're doing. A trip up north through New England like RC or Carbival did might have been more enjoyable for everyone. Anyway, just my $0.02. Remember the worse day on that beautiful boat is light years better than the best day here!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure of the economic situation in Bermuda but some ports suffer without the tourists spending their money and the ships paying the docking fees. I'm sure those touristy places will be first to clean up and restore power so as to not mIss out on revenue. I do however agree that they shouldnt put the pax in harms way, that being said, i dont think the captain and crew want to either. I've been on one of these rough rides where a 6 hour storm stretched into 21 hours where 1/3 of the crew were seasick along with 1/2 or more pax. Worse part was the fragrant Eau de Vomit. One port was missed as we couldnt dock in the high winds. We all got a refund on our accounts.