Tropical Storm Joaquin's effect on Breakaway cruise 10/4

Mikkar

I hate the cold. I'd rather ditch the cruise and drive south, to go to my condo in ocean city MD, than travel north at all. To me Vacation = Warm.

And yes, living in NY i am pretty much miserable all winter long, but work keeps me here for now unfortunately.

OC in MD currently flooding, many places closed.

now i really need to pack!

Ya think??!!! lol

So bored here at work.

Mani/pedi done last night.

Did check-in for hotel in Manhattan tomorrow.

Nothing to do but think about a big ship.

LIFE IS GOOD!!! :D

For the quezzies, be sure to bring the Dramamine, it's certain to be a 2 1/2 day rocking ride to Bermuda. Once in Bermuda things should be better. ;)

Anthony's got that covered for us! lol

I've always had sea legs. I hope I still do! :)

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Right now, it looks like north will have sun for the days we'd be docked and Bermuda won't - the Royal Gazette mentioned a possible touch down/effect on Tuesday. And NY looks rainy for the weekend (wonder what the bike racers are thinking?!). It means Dramamine Non-Drowsy in the med kit, a poncho (OK, I pack that all the time anyway!) and an extra pair of shoes in case one pair gets wet. And some clothes. Even though we have to leave at 5:30 am tomorrow, I'm just SO happy not to be at work!!

We're going down by train, and I did get an alert from AmTrak...seems they started charging for luggage overages. Nothing about weather warnings or delays.

Edited by cooncat_mom

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Right now, it looks like north will have sun for the days we'd be docked and Bermuda won't. And NY and NY looks rainy for the weekend (wonder what the bikers are thinking?!).

Nameless_faceless_one, Canada is totally a personal preference. I like Canada and the north and I live in the north! I find that if you're cold, you can put clothes on. Not real fond of heat and there's only so much you can take off!! I do Bermuda because because my cruising companions like hot [emoji13] . Most people I've met though, who cruise to Bermuda want heat and beaches.

I'm with you. I prefer cold over hot.

This morning weatherman said showers tomorrow 58 degrees,

partly sunny and a passing showing on Sunday 64 degrees.

Looks like a nice week ahead in NY with our return being sunny and 70. :)

(yes, it can change)

I was looking at Bermuda's weather and saw showers each day next week with sun coming out on Saturday. WTH?!

Whenever it shows rain, it's not always true. ;)

Pack an umbrella and we won't need it!! Happy thoughts.

I just watched the Breakaway sail away from Bermuda, a short while ago, and the skies looked sunny. Seas pretty calm.

This morning, the weatherman said that the hurricane was a 4 (Katrina was a 5), and centered around the Bahamas.

Pack plenty of Bonine, and hopefully you won't need it.

The typical Canada cruise from NY does not go to Quebec, it does Halifax and Saint John which are really not that exciting.

We did the 10 day NE and Canada cruise from NY to Montreal on Holland America Maasdam several years ago. It was fantastic for fall folliage and I would highly reccommend that my fellow NY port travelers!

the nj governor is running for president. Rain is an "emergency."

the airports look fairly good for a stormy day with only a few cancellations which i can see. Jfk has 15min delays, lga 1.75 hours, newark 1 hour as of right now.

haha.

Delays into NYC airports always happen in the rain, and although I wouldn't call it a drizzle, it should not be too bad. They are definitely saying that the storm will go out to sea, so it could be rocky on the ride to Bermuda, but you shouldn't have any trouble getting there.

I, on the other hand, have theater tickets for Monday night, so doing storm tracking for that.

They cancelled Bermuda??? Where did you read this?

I found it. Must be leaving from Florida, right?

It was on Sunshine from Port Canaveral. A rare sailing. Itinerary changed to GT, SJ, a St Martin (I think) . Also a 25 per cent coupon for a future cruise.

I was on the Gem cruise to Canada two weeks ago...loved it so much I booked it again. Leaving tomorrow (Sat) 10/3.

I live in NJ, a short distance from the Lincoln Tunnel and the cruise port. Fortunately, the hurricane is predicted to pass several hundred miles out to sea on Tuesday. By then it will be a tropical storm.

Unfortunately, we are in the middle of a nor'easter right now. Lots of rain and wind. But, as nor'easters go, this one is pretty tame. Sea conditions tomorrow are predicted to be around ten feet off southern Long Island. Should not be too bad. Governor Christie declared a state of emergency ahead of the hurricane but he did so way too early and is now trying to justify it by rolling it into the nor'easter, which just isn't that serious.

Those going on the Breakaway to Bermuda will beat Joaquin as it is predicted to pass by on Tuesday.

Those of us going to Canada should be fine.

We all just have to deal with the seas kicked up by the nor'easter for a little bit.

Beats workin!