Traveling with Teen Nephew - Family Suite?

NiceAunt

I am taking my teenage nephew on a Mediterranean Cruise on the Harmony of the Seas in June, 2016. Was wondering about the accommodations. Thinking a regular balcony suite - obviously with twin beds, but would a "family suite" be better - perhaps a little more room? My travel agent suggested we just do the "Guaranteed X Balcony" but a specific room will not be selected until the day before the Cruise. Not sure if I like that. I am willing to spring a few hundred extra bucks to be sure I get what I want.

Also, should I opt to go ahead and just book a balcony suite now, any suggestions regarding the deck plans for either? I have never travelled on RC, but took a Mediterranean Cruise on Seabourn with my other teenage nephew last year. The "regular" suite was fine, a bit cramped, but it worked ok.

Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you!

Talk to your travel agent more. I believe you are using the word "suite" when you actually mean "cabin." Guarantee balcony cabin is not a suite. RC has a lot of different types of cabins. Suites begin at the "junior suite" level and go up from there. On the Oasis class of ships, including Harmony, there are many types cabins and suites. Your TA should be able to show you configurations and sizes.

I am taking my teenage nephew on a Mediterranean Cruise on the Harmony of the Seas in June, 2016. Was wondering about the accommodations. Thinking a regular balcony suite - obviously with twin beds, but would a "family suite" be better - perhaps a little more room? My travel agent suggested we just do the "Guaranteed X Balcony" but a specific room will not be selected until the day before the Cruise. Not sure if I like that. I am willing to spring a few hundred extra bucks to be sure I get what I want.

Also, should I opt to go ahead and just book a balcony suite now, any suggestions regarding the deck plans for either? I have never travelled on RC, but took a Mediterranean Cruise on Seabourn with my other teenage nephew last year. The "regular" suite was fine, a bit cramped, but it worked ok.

Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you!

I think there is a minimum occupancy of 5 for the Family Suite. I could be wrong, but I would check into that. That being said, there are a few suite options, depending on what you are looking for...

Yes, I believe I meant "cabin". Just checked her e-mail and she said "ocean view balcony guaranteed - cabin assigned the day before." So.......that said, a cabin is what I want, but I guess my question is it "risky" to do the option where it's not assigned until the day before versus actually choosing and knowing what you are getting in advance?

Thanks!

Edited by NiceAunt

I think there is a minimum occupancy of 5 for the Family Suite. I could be wrong, but I would check into that. That being said, there are a few suite options, depending on what you are looking for...

Usually a minimum number...yes...but you can at times be able to book them with less...when they become available online, but usually a lot closer to sail date than the OP is doing.

I've been lucky a few times. Snatched up the FOV #8500 for some (2 adults and toddler) of our family approx 3 months out for our Radiance Alaska cruise a few weeks ago. Second time I've been able to do this (ironically same cabin, ship & Alaska)...very worth it to keep checking especially midnight's here on the west coast (love those RCI computer glitches which this last one was according to RCI). I for one am going to miss the 24 hour courtesy holds if RCI stops making them available.

Sounds like the OP needs to get exact (suite) info from their TA...

Yes, I believe I meant "cabin". Just checked her e-mail and she said "ocean view balcony guaranteed - cabin assigned the day before." So.......that said, a cabin is what I want, but I guess my question is it "risky" to do the option where it's not assigned until the day before versus actually choosing and knowing what you are getting in advance?

Thanks!

Personally I would prefer a choice of cabin, especially on such a large ship. There are too many options for me ......would like to know what type of balcony and view I was getting. Also would like my choice deck. Take a look at the number of decks, location, etc. It's really a matter personal preference.

Noticed you did say ocean view guarantee, which does narrow it down a bit. Sounds like that would not include Boardwalk or Central Park.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

Thanks!

Not too risky if the price is right for you and your willing to be comfortable with an unknown location.

Hopefully your cabin will be assigned a lot sooner than day before sail...if that's the case you can always ask to be put back into the GTY if you don't like the location...but if I were you at that point I would do a mock booking to see what's available in your catagory and ask for a change.

Best of luck and enjoy...HOTS is going to be amazing..I've booked 4 cabins for March 2017 as a family surprise.

Thanks!

I would book a specific cabin rather than the X since its your first on rci'

All ocean view balcony cabins D1-D8 are the same size, difference in price is location on the ship. The next OV balcony is a junior suite or JS, then a grand suite or g's, getting bigger as you go up. There are higher priced suites. You can see the deck plans by going to rci's web site.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/harmonyoftheseas/theship/deck-plans/

Edited by setsail

Thanks for all of the information! Our TA booked a specific superior Oceanview cabin on Deck 14 toward the back of the ship. D5 category. I think it's all the way back and the last cabin before the aqua suite. Not sure if this is good or bad, but am making a guess that if I do some more research and decide I want to book another location on that Deck, I probably can. Hopefully there are no room change fees. I really appreciate the replies and am off to scan the other topics in the forums now that the trip is booked.

Thanks, she did send me a copy of the deck plan. Not having cruised on a ship this size before (only other cruise was a 400-passenger Seabourn), I really don't know the pros and cons of being aft or forward, higher or lower, busy area or not, and such. I see that Deck 14 is the main deck for the childrens activities, so not sure how much "traffic" there will be on this deck versus perhaps Deck 12 that is just cabins. My nephew is 17 and I just realized he will be 18 by cruise day so not sure having our cabin being on the "childrens activity deck" is going to be a major consideration. It is indeed a huge ship and we are all the way on the opposite side of the ship from the children's play area, nursery, etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts about being located on the same deck as the "main childrens area" if you are not traveling with children?

So appreciate all the help!!!!! Glad I found this site.

... Does anyone have any thoughts about being located on the same deck as the "main childrens area" if you are not traveling with children?.. .

I would prefer a deck other than 14, not because it's the same deck as Adventure Ocean, but because it is directly under the pool deck. More potential for scraping chair noise from above in the wee hours.