Will my cabin be noisy?

cruisemama5

We have been on 19 cruises. Have always booked an inside guarantee. We have always been fine with what we have gotten as cabin assignments. A few times we were upgraded to obstructed view cabins, and once we were offered an upsell to a balcony and took it. All our cabins have been fine. We don't spend much time in them.

This cruise we booked an inside as well. We are on the bottom of the boat at the back, next to what I think is the engine room? I tried looking up about the room and found something that said there "may be" propeller vibration. We are in room 1954 on the Amsterdam. Does anyone know anything about this cabin. I am a little concerned about noise, as this is a long cruise.

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

I don't know the cabin, but wouldn't book it based on that.

Didn't know what cabin I would be assigned. We booked a guarantee, and this is what we got:(

I am just curious if anyone knows anything about a cabin like this, as one wall is right next to whatever it is behind us. I tried looking around online and found one site that said, "may have propeller vibration". So just wondering if anyone knows what it is there and if it is bad.

Or does anyone know of a site I can look at that would give me better information about this room.

Edited by cruisemama5

Didn't know what cabin I would be assigned. We booked a guarantee, and this is what we got:(

I am just curious if anyone knows anything about a cabin like this, as one wall is right next to whatever it is behind us. I tried looking around online and found one site that said, "may have propeller vibration". So just wondering if anyone knows what it is there and if it is bad.

Or does anyone know of a site I can look at that would give me better information about this room.

Just from what is said, book another room! Call and ask politely to please move you to another area away from the engine room!!!

Denise:)

We are on the bottom of the boat at the back, next to what I think is the engine room? I tried looking up about the room and found something that said there "may be" propeller vibration. We are in room 1954 on the Amsterdam.
The engines would be below you. That "white space" deck aft of you has winches, lines, and a stern anchor for docking or anchoring. You will likely hear noises from this equipment and thrusters each morning that you dock or anchor off shore ... and you could hear engine noise and propeller noise and vibration while underway.

Good luck getting a change or enduring the noise if you can't change. Unfortunately, that's the chance you take with a guarantee. :)

Edited by jtl513

If you can't change the room, take earplugs with you. You might be able to block out some of the noise. I remember Kween Karen mentioning that she had trouble sleeping due to the white noise and she was in an inside at the very rear of the Amsterdam.

The engines would be below you. That "white space" deck aft of you has winches, lines, and a stern anchor for docking or anchoring. You will likely hear noises from this equipment and thrusters each morning that you dock or anchor off shore ... and you could hear engine noise and propeller noise and vibration while underway.

Good luck getting a change or enduring the noise if you can't change. Unfortunately, that's the chance you take with a guarantee. :)

Thanks for the info. We had our TA call and all the inside cabins are booked, so we are out of luck.

DH is a light sleeper so likes white noise at night. We bought a Sleepmate sound machine for our first cruise back in 1993. I'd suggest you purchase one. It does the trick for us and doesn't take much space in our luggage.. Interestingly, we still take this with us whenever we travel - it's still working great Amazon sells them.

81YAQ95YqML._SY450_.jpg

We are in room 1954 on the Amsterdam. Does anyone know anything about this cabin. I am a little concerned about noise, as this is a long cruise.

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

I was on an 18-day Panama Canal on Amsterdam earlier this year, down in the bilge in the aftmost interior (1947). You're on port side, I was on starboard just aft of you. I had no problem at all with noise at that location. She's a great ship. Have a great cruise.

Edited by Av8rix

I was on an 18-day Panama Canal on Amsterdam earlier this year, down in the bilge in the aftmost interior (1947). You're on port side, I was on starboard just aft of you. I had no problem at all with noise at that location. She's a great ship. Have a great cruise.

THANK YOU!! Great to hear. We called and all interior rooms are booked. We decided to just chance it, since we really didn't want to pay to upgrade to an obstructed view. Nice of you to let us know about that room. I knew I could count on people hear to help.

Thanks again!

THANK YOU!! Great to hear. We called and all interior rooms are booked. We decided to just chance it, since we really didn't want to pay to upgrade to an obstructed view. Nice of you to let us know about that room. I knew I could count on people hear to help.

Thanks again!

Just payin' it forward :). I had posted some concerns about my assignment before my last Amsterdam cruise. It was a new cabin configuration for me. But folks who had been in that one kindly replied and laid my fears to rest.

Ain't CC great? Again, have a great cruise.

I've been in the engine room of the Rotterdam, the Amsterdam is her sistership.

On the first deck below Dolphin deck ( A-deck) , all the storage rooms ( freezers and cold storage) are located aft . The engines are located on B-deck and further below. Although midships on A deck are also some parts of the engine room, mainly ventilation shafts and fans who make some noise.

When the ship is using the aft thrusters , vibrations will be noticeable, but also in other parts of the ships. In the MDR the plates and glasses will be rattling... after all it is still a ship ;-)

Get the white noise machine and earplugs. At first, you might be more sensitive to the noise, but in time, you will be able to tune it out and ignore it. Most experienced cruisers study the ship's plan, but even we messed up and were too close to the "stack" and heard a constant hum. This may be your last guarantee. We had lots of them through the years and finally decided to just spend the money to not have that worry.

On our very first cruise, on a cruise line (Sun) which no longer exists, we had an inside guarantee. As it turned out, the cabin had a LOT of vibration when we were underway, especially when the captain was putting on the speed overnight. After the first night, we had figured out how to stuff things into the cracks between wall panels to keep them from rattling. You could feel the vibrations, so I just considered the bed as one of those "magic fingers" hotel beds and adjusted my position so I could take advantage of the vibration on my back as I went to sleep.

Enjoy your travels!