Tipping

Ebeth63

One thing i can say about this thread is that half believe in extra tipping and the other half does not. i do tip extra and i do remember birthdays and Cmas. But i believe when one o na ship 7 months at a time it all adds up.

Careful, Robin. Some people don't feel the need to brag publicly about their tipping practices, or simply don't feel it proper to influence others into doing something that isn't necessary or customary, so they keep things to themselves.

You cruise so often on Azamara that you feel many members of the crew are like family to you. Someone cruising Azamara for the first time and asking the "tipping" question here isn't going to see things that way.

And one would assume that when Azamara says "gratuities are included" the amount a different cruise line would charge daily for gratuities is somehow being included in crew members' compensation on Azamara ships. If not, then it's Azamara's bad and I think it would show in an unhappy crew.

If individual passengers want to show some kind of additional generosity to crew members--for whatever reason--I view that as a personal gesture that is nobody else's business, and, because these passengers choose to do so, it should not reflect in any way on other passengers who might choose to do things differently because their circumstances are likely different (e.g., personal financial situation; frequency of Azamara cruises and consequent closeness to crew members; services required from crew members; etc.).

Bonnie's statement of Azamara's policy on gratuities as written above should suffice.

Edited by marinaro44

my very first cruise was Christmas on the JR. i gave out bags of candy. .no one made do it. i just did. did not do another AZ cruise for a year this time i got candy in Brazil. No where did i say you had to tip extra - said this thread about 50/50 on the subject. i do cruise a lot and i want good service but i get that no matter what. but i like helping others so i do.

Careful, Robin. Some people don't feel the need to brag publicly about their tipping practices, or simply don't feel it proper to influence others into doing something that isn't necessary or customary, so they keep things to themselves.

You cruise so often on Azamara that you feel many members of the crew are like family to you. Someone cruising Azamara for the first time and asking the "tipping" question here isn't going to see things that way.

And one would assume that when Azamara says "gratuities are included" the amount a different cruise line would charge daily for gratuities is somehow being included in crew members' compensation on Azamara ships. If not, then it's Azamara's bad and I think it would show in an unhappy crew.

If individual passengers want to show some kind of additional generosity to crew members--for whatever reason--I view that as a personal gesture that is nobody else's business, and, because these passengers choose to do so, it should not reflect in any way on other passengers who might choose to do things differently because their circumstances are likely different (e.g., personal financial situation; frequency of Azamara cruises and consequent closeness to crew members; services required from crew members; etc.).

Bonnie's statement of Azamara's policy on gratuities as written above should suffice.

Great post thank you. It's a personal thing if you want to do more go ahead but it's about being discrete. Extra if it's well beyond the expected.

And we are delighted when that happens to do so but if it's as expected then no extra sorry and whatever it's between us and the crew member.

At Christmas I feel it's more appropriate to look at the crew fund so everyone benefits

Edited by uktog

Excellent post. No more need be said in my view.

Phil

The OP asked about tipping, so people responded. I don't see anyone bragging publicly about their tips. In fact, if you tip on board, it should be discreet so as to not to call attention to either yourself or the crew member.

Most things we do is on a cruise is nobody's business, but Cruise Critic would be SOOO boring!

John

Edited by PSULion
Typos

The OP asked about tipping, so people responded. I don't see anyone bragging publicly about their tips. In fact, if you tip on board, it should be discreet so as to not to call attention to either yourself or the crew member.

Most things we do is on a cruise is nobody's business, but Cruise Critic would be SOOO boring!

John

Sorry, but you were bragging earlier about your so-called "pre-tipping". I fyou think that gets you better service you are not only deluded but insulting the professionalism of the staff.

Thank you for your responses - and Bonnie for the reminder/clarification of Azamara's stance. I am clear now about what I should (or shouldn't!) do, so perhaps it's time to draw this to a close.

Thanks everyone! [emoji3]

At Christmas I feel it's more appropriate to look at the crew fund so everyone benefits

Thanks for writing this, Ann. We're on Quest's Christmas cruise in 2016 and this is exactly what we'll do. A great way to say thanks to the crew at the holidays.

Just returned from a wonderful 9 days aboard the Journey. As to giving porters a tip, our bags came off of our private transfer (3 couples) and were wisked away so fast at Piraeus/Athens port, that there wasn't a moment to even consider tipping. We were on the ship minutes after arrival...what a great stream-lined system to breeze thru.

I brought along about 25 single dollar bills to use for breakfast room service tips and any other extraordinary service. Like someone else said above, given the cost of the cruise, this wasn't a significant amount of money. Almost every morning we had room service at the first delivery span from 6:30-7am (and especially nice to receive the phone call moments before that breakfast was on its way). It was always prompt and I gave a $1 tip each time. It was met by a surprised look, one waiter even going to so far as to say it wasn't required. I had to chase 2 of the waiters to the door to give them the tip before they exited. They were always grateful and every day it was a different waiter. I also tipped a few times during beverage service at the pool deck, Windows cafe, and Mosaic Cafe. I don't think it bought me better service, but it did give me a lot of grateful smiles.

Sorry, but you were bragging earlier about your so-called "pre-tipping". I fyou think that gets you better service you are not only deluded but insulting the professionalism of the staff.

Regarding your comment regarding my delusions, you might want to spend some more time with some service industry workers that rely on tips. I know the British don't have a tipping culture, so you likely have a different perspective on this. Either way, tip or don't tip, I don't think it matters on Azamara or other lines that include tips in your fare.

Guess that wasn't my last post! LOL

John

Edited by PSULion