Lounge Chair Etiquette

kevingastreich

I don't disagree with you, but there have to be limits beyond which the chair needs to be released. HAL has decided that 1/2 hour is reasonable. You might argue that an hour would be better and I might think 45 minutes. The point is, no matter what time is allocated, there will always be people that abuse the system. So if going to your cabin and then going to eat is going to exceed the establish time limit, you run the exact same chance of losing your chair as any other person who goes over. Just like a parking meter: it doesn't matter how long you might exceed the limit or what you were doing, if the little red flag pops up you are just as liable to get ticketed as anyone else. :)

I bolded your sentence about HAL deciding that 30 minutes is reasonable..Can you point out where it was posted by HAL, as I've never seen it.. BTW I do agree with you, but just wonder about the HAL 30 min. time limit...

My feeling is if you are leaving the pool area to have lunch, then you should give up your chair to someone else. When you have finished, come back and see if there's space for you again. Just MHO.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We normally travel with another couple & never sit by the pool.. After breakfast, we all go out on the Promenade Deck to try to find four chairs.. After we find four chairs, we park our DH's down & the ladies run back to the cabin to get our bags which have been previously packed & go on up to join the men.. That takes no more than 10-15 minutes..

At lunch time we all normally give up our chairs & go to lunch together...Then after lunch we try to find more chairs to spend the afternoon in..

Once in a while, only one couple at a time will go to the lido to get a quick bite & return to our chairs within a half hour to 45 minutes, but usually we all eat together & give up those chairs..

Edited by serendipity1499

Again why 30 mins, if I have a swim and go to the toilet and grab a burger it'll probably take more than that won't it?

So why HOG the lounger or chair? :( A little consideration goes a long way. Dive In burgers usually take a minimum of 15 minutes.

Except for the bookmark, which I would not have done, I think "harvesting" stuff from an unused deck chair is a good idea.

The post said he was in his chair and observe the man saving chairs. Why would anyone take it upon himself to leave a note like that or move stuff when he already had his chair.

The post said he was in his chair and observe the man saving chairs. Why would anyone take it upon himself to leave a note like that or move stuff when he already had his chair.

Actually, no, he didn't say that he was in a lounger. He could have been looking out the window from his room for all we know.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Since when is moving property a criminal offense? And a criminal offense where, exactly?

Please read what I said, not what you think I said.

I said hiding stuff, not moving stuff, COULD Be a criminal offence.

Have a look at the definition of theft.

If you hide someone's property with he intent that they cannot find it that actions meets the common law definition of theft.

Pure and simple really.

If you hide someone's property with he intent that they cannot find it that actions meets the common law definition of theft.

Pure and simple really.

"In common usage, theft is the taking of another person's property without that person's permission or consent with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of it"

Note the need for intent to deprive. But, again, which jurisdiction are you blathering on about?

Actually, no, he didn't say that he was in a lounger. He could have been looking out the window from his room for all we know.

Actually he said "come down" which would imply that he was already there!

As to "go down" which would imply that he was somewhere else oberserving

Pure and simple really.

If you are worried then don't leave your stuff lying around.

I like to have a spot to put my stuff while I'm swimming -- towel, glasses, phone, room key, sunscreen, hat, etc. None of that stuff can, or should, be taken into the pool with me.

I don't think it's unfair to use a lounge chair close to the pool for that. And I'm usually on my own so I can't leave it with a non-swimming friend/companion.

I look at the number of people in the pool and figure if there is a similar number of stuff on "saved" chairs then those are the swimmer's. And they deserve to have use of the chair as long as they are swimming. Sometimes I take longer than half an hour, sometimes not.

I would be beyond pissed if someone moved my stuff while I was swimming. It's fair to for each swimmer to have a chair close to the pool for their stuff that they need, but need to keep dry. And I would certainly confront the person who moved it. But then I'm not a deck chair lounger, I really just use them as a place to put my stuff so I can keep as close an eye on it as possible while swimming. The Lido tables, which I would be happy to use for the same purpose, are too far away for me to see from the pool.

Why would you bring a phone to a pool? That just inviting it to disappear. I've seen threads where people had things stolen. It likely resulted from situation where the opportunity was easily provided.

"In common usage, theft is the taking of another person's property without that person's permission or consent with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of it"

Note the need for intent to deprive. But, again, which jurisdiction are you blathering on about?

Actually any jurisdiction where the Common Law applies.

There is no need to intend to keep it and hiding it can be construed as an intent to deprive.

But I know that's all too complex.

If you are worried then don't leave your stuff lying around.

A. I was simply warning those that said they hide people's property that such an action COULD. Be a criminal offence.

B. what I shouldn't expect that I can leave a book on a chair without risking it being taken?

Why would you bring a phone to a pool? That just inviting it to disappear. I've seen threads where people had things stolen. It likely resulted from situation where the opportunity was easily provided.

Were they stolen or just "hidden" by someone who wanted the chair?

Dh doesn't use the pool, so on the few occasions when I go to the pool, I carry no more than the things I absolutely need. Certainly not my phone.

A. I was simply warning those that said they hide people's property that such an action COULD. Be a criminal offence.

B. what I shouldn't expect that I can leave a book on a chair without risking it being taken?

Good luck pursuing that:rolleyes:.

I bolded your sentence about HAL deciding that 30 minutes is reasonable..Can you point out where it was posted by HAL, as I've never seen it.. BTW I do agree with you, but just wonder about the HAL 30 min. time limit...

I've seen that figure quoted so often on CC without it previously being challenged that I believed it to be true. Maybe it's a ship's practice, not a fleet policy, as I've not seen it on HAL's website.

I recently looked to see if there was anything on running on the promenade deck. There are frequent comments about it not being allowed, and as recently as a couple of weeks ago there was signage on the Maasdam prohibiting running. On the other hand, the Koningsdam website is promoting it (bolding is mine):

A nautical tradition, our teak Promenade deck encircles the ship, offering spectacular views in every direction—the perfect place for a brisk run, an after-dinner stroll or simply relaxing in the sun on a classic teak lounge chair.

In any event, if there isn't a chair hog policy there should be, and a 30 minute "use it or lose it" time limit sounds quite reasonable to me.

Were they stolen or just "hidden" by someone who wanted the chair?

I don't really care. If you bring something of value you only have yourself to blame. That's the cold hard reality of it. Perhaps I'm more jaded as I live in a big city but I'm amazed at what people leave out. I want to ask "what are you thinking"?

It's not me who'd be pursuing it, it's the authorities, police, ship security.

Good luck in some countries if the police get involved.

You have a very vivid imagination. How are you going to find the person who did it? Question everyone on the ship? Let's be real.

Edited by cruz chic

I don't really care. If you bring something of value you only have yourself to blame. That's the cold hard reality of it. Perhaps I'm more jaded as I live in a big city but I'm amazed at what people leave out. I want to ask "what are you thinking"?

Well some of us are lucky enough to live amongst honest people.

My mum and dad for example rarely lock the door and pretty much everyone in town knows where the spare key is.

I find it funny this trend to blame the victim.

Well some of us are lucky enough to live amongst honest people.

My mum and dad for example rarely lock the door and pretty much everyone in town knows where the spare key is.

I find it funny this trend to blame the victim.

Good for you. The sad reality is that there are many dishonest people in the world. It doesn't matter if you come from a tiny town where you are safe. Real life is not like that for most of the world. If you want to leave valuables out please do not cry about it being stolen. It's not 1940. It appears you just want to argue no matter what the subject. I have better things to do.

So, you're going to call in the cops (which ones, I might ask?) because your paperback book is "missing"?

What color is the sky in your world?

just passing you a new whip.

Yours must be getting worn out from beating that dead horse.

Might be time to bury him? and let him RIP?