Eurodam Viking Passage September 2015 Review

TeDaKi

Loved, loved your pictures and comments. Absolutely fabulous. I'm doing the Voyage of the Vikings next summer so many of your ports were particularly interesting. Thanks for sharing with us!

I agree with Barrheadlass. Thank you for taking us on this trip with you via your wonderful photos and narration. I'm doing the Viking Passage next July (Rotterdam to Boston) on the Rotterdam and we'll be visiting many of the same ports as you did. Thank you again for sharing this cruise with us.

We will be on the Rotterdam's comparable itinerary July 2 from Rotterdam to Boston. We thank you for fabulous pictures and helpful insights.

We did a London to New York Iceland/Greenland sailing two years ago. It was so good we are going back next year. Looking forward to Bergen and Shetland Islands, new destinations for us.

Thank you for such a nice review and beautiful pictures. I did a T/A on the Eurodam not too long ago and really enjoyed myself too. The Eurodam is a lovely ship with nice staff.

I have a question though, did you encounter problems in the MDR with food that was supposed to be served hot being served lukewarm? It happened several times at my table. Our server and the Maitre D tried really hard to fix that issue but did not really succeed completely. Just wondering if HAL fixed that problem for good (a kitchen issue?).

Thanks

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

I think most of our roll call has seen your wonderful pictures and text (Rotterdam to Boston on the Rotterdam July 2, 2016). Your pictures will help so much as we decide what to do at each port and we can look at your pictures to see what the descriptions are describing. I think our weather will be warmer by maybe ten degrees in July but I am wondering how cold it "feels" in the ice fields and on the open sea. Of course you are from Ireland and I don't think I have ever felt colder than a rainy cold June day at the Rock of Haisel (pardon the spelling but sound it out:o). I am trying to figure out the right mix of clothing and coats. I found the passage around Cape Horn and the glaciers in South America REALLY cold and I'm afraid this area might be close to the same conditions.

Again thanks for your excellent review and pictures and good luck in school this year.

I have a question though, did you encounter problems in the MDR with food that was supposed to be served hot being served lukewarm? It happened several times at my table. Our server and the Maitre D tried really hard to fix that issue but did not really succeed completely. Just wondering if HAL fixed that problem for good (a kitchen issue?).

Thanks

We had no problems/no complaints at all with our food in the MDR. Any meal that was supposed to be hot was hot! :)

I think most of our roll call has seen your wonderful pictures and text (Rotterdam to Boston on the Rotterdam July 2, 2016). Your pictures will help so much as we decide what to do at each port and we can look at your pictures to see what the descriptions are describing. I think our weather will be warmer by maybe ten degrees in July but I am wondering how cold it "feels" in the ice fields and on the open sea. Of course you are from Ireland and I don't think I have ever felt colder than a rainy cold June day at the Rock of Haisel (pardon the spelling but sound it out:o). I am trying to figure out the right mix of clothing and coats. I found the passage around Cape Horn and the glaciers in South America REALLY cold and I'm afraid this area might be close to the same conditions.

Again thanks for your excellent review and pictures and good luck in school this year.

You mean the Rock of Cashel?? I live about 30 minutes from there!! When you come to Ireland, you’ve got to bring your woollies and warm clothes, even in summer!! :D:D:D

Honestly, with the fantastic scenery, you’ll forget about the cold. And yes, your cruise is in July and ours was in September, so it shouldn’t be as “cold”! Have fun!

We had no problems/no complaints at all with our food in the MDR. Any meal that was supposed to be hot was hot! :)

Thank you for your answer. Now, two last questions for car rental, in case I book that itinerary. I took a good look at your car pictures. No offense meant for UK posters, just double checking here... Besides on the Shetlands, all your rental cars had the steering wheel to the left and the priority lane was to the right? Am I correct?

I drive, but I have a car with an automatic transmission. I know many years ago it was virtually impossible to rent compact cars in Europe which you did not need to shift gears. I can check myself, but do you remember if compacts with automatic transmission were available? If not, I might just take a few hours of practice, before cruising, on a "manual" car like we say in French.

Thanks

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

Thanks to everyone for all the positive and great feedback! I’m delighted that you enjoyed my report.

Thank you for the wonderful report on your trip and the Eurodam. You have an excellent eye for photography and your post are very descriptive. Keep traveling, perhaps think of making it a career.

Thank you for your answer. Now, two last questions for car rental, in case I book that itinerary. I took a good look at your car pictures. No offense meant for UK posters, just double checking here... Besides on the Shetlands, all your rental cars had the steering wheel to the left and the priority lane was to the right? Am I correct?

Yes, that is correct.

do you remember if compacts with automatic transmission were available?

All our rented cars were manual. Manual cars are what we are used to. But from what I can remember, it was definitely possible to reserve automatics. Though, I would advise you to book automatic cars as soon as you can because there weren’t many of them available in those ports. Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

We have booked this cruise for next July and now I am even more convinced that we made the best choice.

Your pictures are so professional and capture the beauty of the land. Especially liked the wonderful expressions of the sheep!

Thanks so much for sharing...

Thanks for commenting Shashee and bringing this review back to page one. I was on this cruise also and enjoyed rereading the excellent review once again. You will thoroughly enjoy this cruise. The itinerary is unique and the speakers were fantastic.

Thank you so much for your review and fantastic photos. I spent two days in Reykjavik, and did the Golden Circle tour. Also, my hotel was right across the street from the Hallgrimskirkja Church you photographed. Those pictures brought back wonderful memories of my trip there.

Edited by luvcruisn'

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your outstanding report and pictures! We just booked the Aug 2017 Viking Passage on the Zuiderdam, which will include many of these same ports, and your photos got me very excited for the trip! It's gonna be a long wait. :o

Glad you had such a great experience!

Hello, John, and thank you for a wonderful review and all these gorgeous photos. They made me feel I was cruising along with you and your Mum and Dad!

All was so lifelike, that those photos of the snow and icebergs actually had me shivering!

Again, Thank you!

Donna