Women. Clothing for long flights.

MeMe4A&J

Because several friends came back from Europe with swollen legs, I bought knee-high compression socks. I was advised to wear them the day after I land, too.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried them on my last flights, and they did seem to help. I also find that loose comfy shoes are a bad idea, because they just let your feet swell -- so now I wear good-fitting lace-up shoes on the plane and keep them tied as tightly as is comfortable.

Please don't take this the wrong way, bubbulz, but I just have to ask, since I fly business class on Lufthansa and KLM, neither of whom provide pajamas...so here's my question: you say you bring your own jammies and change into them to sleep and then change into your street clothes....I've noticed in my travels that everything is bigger in business EXCEPT the bathrooms, so how do you find room in that closet they call a bathroom to change clothes??? :D

It can be a challenge! ;) I have to admit I've seen more than I'd like to on some flights (e.g., elderly gents disrobing in the aisles in first class - but understandable I suppose given all the limitations). At least I'm usually given a hanger for my clothes. Flying isn't what it used to be ...

I tried them on my last flights, and they did seem to help. I also find that loose comfy shoes are a bad idea, because they just let your feet swell -- so now I wear good-fitting lace-up shoes on the plane and keep them tied as tightly as is comfortable.

Compression socks definitely help. I used to fly fairly routinely from the east coast to the pacific and they really saved me. I bought my first pair in 2003 in the Narita airport and have been using them ever since.

Edited by bubbulz

Compression socks definitely help. I used to fly fairly routinely from the east coast to the pacific and they really saved me. I bought my first pair in 2003 in the Narita airport and have been using them ever since.

Since I had a blood clot (not flying related) I have no choice but to wear compression stockings, but I also remove my shoes as soon as we're at altitude and put the slippers they give you in business class on. I also move about the cabin every hour. If possible I try to do a complete lap around the plane, but most of the time that's really not an option.

No offense Bubbulz, but I think I'd pay to see someone change from street clothes to pajamas or reverse in that bathroom. In the aisles? Not so much.:D

No offense Bubbulz, but I think I'd pay to see someone change from street clothes to pajamas or reverse in that bathroom. In the aisles? Not so much.:D

That would require both you and the other person to be in the bathroom. I'd pay to see that! Cue the Marx Brothers in A Night at the Opera [stateroom scene].

Since I had a blood clot (not flying related) I have no choice but to wear compression stockings, but I also remove my shoes as soon as we're at altitude and put the slippers they give you in business class on. I also move about the cabin every hour. If possible I try to do a complete lap around the plane, but most of the time that's really not an option.

LOL! Yes, I've managed to do it in the bathroom many times, as has my DH. And yes, we'd pass on watching the ones who do it in the aisles! :D

I too have purchased several pair of compression socks for the long flights....I read that they are great to wear on excursions with a lot of walking. Seems they keep your feet and legs from getting so tired. I am definitely trying it!:) Anything that helps!

I also take my eye mask. I do have Bose noise canceling headset but have found they are uncomfortable to try to sleep. I now use noise reduction earbuds that fit in the ear canal, but bring ear plugs to use if I don't want wires dangling and for wearing on ships and in hotels.

(Unfortunately a very light sleeper!:(

I picked up compression socks on a whim last year and ended up wearing them every day on our fall and spring trips. We average 8-10 miles a day of walking when we are in Europe and these provided extra support and my legs were not as tired.

When I traveled weekly for business, I accumulated enough points/miles to fly business class; sadly it is now a very rare treat. When I do, I dress differently than for a coach flight as there is no comparison as to the level of comfort provided in business or first class on international flights to those tiny coach seats.

These days we mostly fly Virgin in Premium Economy, an affordable option that allows us significantly more comfort than standard coach.

Edited by caviargal

I picked up compression socks on a whim last year and ended up wearing them every day on our fall and spring trips. We average 8-10 miles a day of walking when we are in Europe and these provided extra support and my legs were not as tired.

When I traveled weekly for business, I accumulated enough points/miles to fly business class; sadly it is now a very rare treat. When I do, I dress differently than for a coach flight as there is no comparison as to the level of comfort provided in business or first class on international flights to those tiny coach seats.

These days we mostly fly Virgin in Premium Economy, an affordable option that allows us significantly more comfort than standard coach.

Those were the days, huh? When we used to be able to fly business or first class on points! It's much harder to swallow when you have to pony up the actual cost! We've looked at Virgin but so far have found it tough to work with our itineraries. Their Premium Economy looks like a nice option for a pretty reasonable price. And yes, it's certainly more comfortable in C or F!

Yes, that Business flight to OZ is very costly. I really don't think I could make it any other way with that time and distance since I am not 30 anymore ;-) Thanks for the tips on Virgin although when we are on the East coast flying to Europe, BA has a great flight out of Montreal and only a few hours away.

We've looked at Virgin but so far have found it tough to work with our itineraries. Their Premium Economy looks like a nice option for a pretty reasonable price. And yes, it's certainly more comfortable in C or F!

We have only have two daily options to get to Europe non stop from our home airport: Virgin to London and Lufthansa to Frankfurt. Lufthansa was purely miserable in coach; they do have a PE now but it is not a separate cabin on their flights from Orlando.

Norwegian flies 2 days a week to Gatwick and Aer Lingus to Dublin a couple of times a week in high season. I have read great things about Norwegian but they are much higher for PE than Virgin.

We have become fans of EasyJet as we can get almost everywhere from Gatwick with a single connection. And Gatwick connect makes the baggage a non issue. Not ideal but we sometimes overnight at Gatwick and spend the day in London before connecting to our final destination. That is what we are doing next month, staying at Sofitel right in the terminal. We have theater tickets for a matinee which will help us stay awake and then a very early flight to Berlin the next morning.

Edited by caviargal

Yes, that Business flight to OZ is very costly. I really don't think I could make it any other way with that time and distance since I am not 30 anymore ;-) Thanks for the tips on Virgin although when we are on the East coast flying to Europe, BA has a great flight out of Montreal and only a few hours away.

If you're willing to fly out of Montreal, check out Air Canada business class too. we were very impressed. Also check out Icelandair...you have to stop in Reykjavik, but it was quite a bit cheaper than the big guys and you can usually add in a few nights in Iceland (worth doing) for very little and occasionally even free.

Edited by Hydrokitty

If you're willing to fly out of Montreal, check out Air Canada business class too. we were very impressed. Also check out Icelandair...you have to stop in Reykjavik, but it was quite a bit cheaper than the big guys and you can usually add in a few nights in Iceland (worth doing) for very little and occasionally even free.

Thanks for the tips....it is either Montreal for nonstop or we have to drive to JFK (5 hrs) when we are gone on our long trips to Europe to avoid the connections.

Living at the lake house has it's perks....airport locations not one of them:(

We have only have two daily options to get to Europe non stop from our home airport: Virgin to London and Lufthansa to Frankfurt. Lufthansa was purely miserable in coach; they do have a PE now but it is not a separate cabin on their flights from Orlando.

Norwegian flies 2 days a week to Gatwick and Aer Lingus to Dublin a couple of times a week in high season. I have read great things about Norwegian but they are much higher for PE than Virgin.

We have become fans of EasyJet as we can get almost everywhere from Gatwick with a single connection. And Gatwick connect makes the baggage a non issue. Not ideal but we sometimes overnight at Gatwick and spend the day in London before connecting to our final destination. That is what we are doing next month, staying at Sofitel right in the terminal. We have theater tickets for a matinee which will help us stay awake and then a very early flight to Berlin the next morning.

Thanks for this! We can fly on Virgin to London nonstop as well. May have to consider that option more closely! (Sometimes comfort on long flights is as much about what airline you fly as it is about what you wear!)

Thanks for the tips....it is either Montreal for nonstop or we have to drive to JFK (5 hrs) when we are gone on our long trips to Europe to avoid the connections.

Living at the lake house has it's perks....airport locations not one of them:(

You could take southwest from Denver to LaGuardia and then Air Canada from LGA to either Toronto or Montreal, depending on where you're going. Just don't do it all in one day. friends of ours were coming from Tampa to meet us at LGA for our AC flight to Toronto and on to Vancouver. Except Delta changed their departure time and they had 40 minutes to change terminals and were the last people to board! Add to that, they had paid Delta $40 per person to transfer their bags from Delta to AC, and Delta didn't. It took 3 days before they got luggage because Delta couldn't find it! (it was in their unclaimed luggage room"! If you're in NY you can fly to Toronto from Albany or Syracuse. Is lake house in NY or CO? Oldest son lives in Denver...and close friends live in Evergreen...and of course we live on LI and I went to college in Oswego.

Edited by Hydrokitty

I'm thinking about the compression socks but they seem to end at the back of the knee. That usually ends up being uncomfortable for me. Are they supposed to be that long? For those who have used them, did you notice a difference from when you didn't? If so, what?

Thank you.

I'm thinking about the compression socks but they seem to end at the back of the knee. That usually ends up being uncomfortable for me. Are they supposed to be that long? For those who have used them, did you notice a difference from when you didn't? If so, what?

Thank you.

#1 you don't have to pull them up all the way.

# 2 yes, you won't get blood clots. That is the reason one wears them.

#1 you don't have to pull them up all the way.

# 2 yes, you won't get blood clots. That is the reason one wears them.

I find that it's best if I don't pull on them to stretch them as I'm pulling them up. (Just kind of roll them on so they don't come up so high.) Also, my ankles don't swell after a long flight when I'm wearing them. I started wearing them after arriving in Guam with very swollen and painful ankles and calves, despite walking around a lot on the flight.

You could take southwest from Denver to LaGuardia and then Air Canada from LGA to either Toronto or Montreal, depending on where you're going. Just don't do it all in one day. friends of ours were coming from Tampa to meet us at LGA for our AC flight to Toronto and on to Vancouver. Except Delta changed their departure time and they had 40 minutes to change terminals and were the last people to board! Add to that, they had paid Delta $40 per person to transfer their bags from Delta to AC, and Delta didn't. It took 3 days before they got luggage because Delta couldn't find it! (it was in their unclaimed luggage room"! If you're in NY you can fly to Toronto from Albany or Syracuse. Is lake house in NY or CO? Oldest son lives in Denver...and close friends live in Evergreen...and of course we live on LI and I went to college in Oswego.

Thank you HydroKitty. I never thought about the Albany to Toronto idea and my Dad lives outside Toronto:). Lake house is in the ADK's in NY and CO is in the mountains at a ski resort not close to Denver but we can take the "vomit comet" when we fly from there to Denver hopefully not in a snow storm ;-).

There are different compression stockings - you can get tights, you can get shorter. And - though you might not be able to find easily in the US - you can get different compression levels as well.

Much more fun to shop for compression socks in another country - France & Germany have great options! Though these days, Amazon isn't a terrible option either....

Thank you.

If you have TJ Maxx nearby they sell them and have different sizes for men and women.

A case for skirts on the long haul. I find the juggling act to make sure my pant legs don't drop too far in the loo to be just too much when the plane is bouncing around. Ever looked down at the floor after more than 8 hours into a long flight? - not a sight for the faint of heart. I now go with skirts just below my knee and they work great. Hike them up a bit while seated if it's too warm on the tarmac and the air isn't circulating yet or wrap around your legs when they switch to cool air (read that COLD air) after serving the meal. And always something extra like a shawl to wrap up in or block the draft by the window or roll up behind your back for more comfort. Don't forget shoes that slip on and off easily for our friends at TSA when that little magic "pre-check" doesn't appear on the ticket giving you access to the line where you can keep your shoes on. Happy travels!