Women. Clothing for long flights.

MeMe4A&J

I do a two piece black warm up suit with short sleeve shirt underneath.

One "accessory" we can't live without is good headphones, like Bose or similar. The cheap ones they give you are pretty much worthless and not comfortable.

Absolutely agree on the headphones/earbuds. I like earbuds on long flights and my Bose headphones on donestic flights....too difficult to try to sleep with bulky headphones to me.

EF stuff goes on sale regularly, and I have found many pieces in local thrift stores as well.

NM had her crepe ankle pants on sale for $58 for most of the summer, and Nordstrom price matches.....

I had no idea Nordstrom does price matching. How did I not know that??:eek:

Thanks!

I'm with most of the above - very comfy knit black pants or capri's - depending on where I'm travelling to. I also always wear my heaviest shoes - usually crosstrainers. As for the "unmentionables" I purchased some bras that don't have the traditional clasp in the back. They are more like a sports bra but much more comfortable. You just pull them on over your head. I find it's easier to get comfy without the clasp hitting in my back. Just a thought.

Depending on where I'm going and how long the trip is, sometimes I pack a pair of pants just for the flight over and back. I also always pack a small bottle of Febreeze to spray clothing, especially if the weather is hot and humid. By spraying the clothes before dinner and letting them air out over night, they are a bit refreshed for wearing a 2nd time if necessary.

Oooh great idea on the bra! Had not thought of that....bras are very uncomfortable to sleep in, at least for me. Sports bra it is....thanks!!

I'm with most of the above - very comfy knit black pants or capri's - depending on where I'm travelling to. I also always wear my heaviest shoes - usually crosstrainers. As for the "unmentionables" I purchased some bras that don't have the traditional clasp in the back. They are more like a sports bra but much more comfortable. You just pull them on over your head. I find it's easier to get comfy without the clasp hitting in my back. Just a thought.

Depending on where I'm going and how long the trip is, sometimes I pack a pair of pants just for the flight over and back. I also always pack a small bottle of Febreeze to spray clothing, especially if the weather is hot and humid. By spraying the clothes before dinner and letting them air out over night, they are a bit refreshed for wearing a 2nd time if necessary.

Oooh great idea on the bra! Had not thought of that....bras are very uncomfortable to sleep in, at least for me. Sports bra it is....thanks!!

Wow, I grew up in CT and do not remember any such distinctions in shoe nomenclature :eek:

You look like you might be a lot younger than I. Could be a generational thing...we only had 4 kinds of shoes: high heels (for dress-up); saddle shoes (with laces); flats (without laces); and sneakers (usually white and worn for gym or on Saturdays) :D

In spring, fall and winter, I wear either black leggings and a tunic top or nice yoga pants and a pullover. I also wear my bulkiest shoes/boots on the plane to save room in my suitcase.

Exactly what I do! I tried it for the first time in August and it really was comfortable. I bring a travel-sized lint roller to "clean up" my leggings, as even the best quality leggings tend to attract lint & fuzz.

Wow, I grew up in CT and do not remember any such distinctions in shoe nomenclature :eek:

You look like you might be a lot younger than I. Could be a generational thing...we only had 4 kinds of shoes: high heels (for dress-up); saddle shoes (with laces); flats (without laces); and sneakers (usually white and worn for gym or on Saturdays) :D

OMG......my Mom MADE ME wear saddle shoes:eek::rolleyes:.....

I remember hating them........

OMG......my Mom MADE ME wear saddle shoes:eek::rolleyes:.....

I remember hating them........

There were choices????? I didn't mind the shoes as much as polishing them with a cotton ball so you didn't get white polish on the brown/black!! :D

Let me emphasize long flights comfort, comfort..Just returned fromParis 7 hr overnight flight. I wore yoga pants elastic waistband light weight jersey. I had a light fleece jacket in my carryon if it got chilly on the plane. I wore my black comfortable Skechers.. Leggings are also great with a long sweater. I just returned from. Paris Normandy River cruise the first week on Sept. I brought one light sweater and a cardigan. I had to purchase a fleece jacket in Rouen the mornings were really chilly I wasn't prepared.. I have many fleece jackets but after checking the weather I thought I didn't need them.....WRONG... Also I did need my rain jacket...:(

Let me emphasize long flights comfort, comfort..Just returned fromParis 7 hr overnight flight. I wore yoga pants elastic waistband light weight jersey. I had a light fleece jacket in my carryon if it got chilly on the plane. I.:(

If only our international flights were as short as 7 hours! Ours are 9+ and generally require a connection in addition. We travel for an average of 14 hours at minimum.

If only our international flights were as short as 7 hours! Ours are 9+ and generally require a connection in addition. We travel for an average of 14 hours at minimum.

Us too....What are we doing wrong? I never thought about weaing leggings....probably because I'd look like a sausage and while I really don't dress to impress, I will draw a line at some things. :D

Note to amd1234: I always bring my hooded rain jacket, hoodie and fleece vest no matter where I'm going....well maybe not to Africa....but certainly to Europe. I keep hoodie in my carry on in case plane gets cold (I cannot stand cold on the back of my neck) and I stuff the vest in the outside pocket of my checked bag. If it gets really chilly I can put the vest over the hoodie....and for some bizarre reason having my rain jacket with me guarantees I won't have to use it! (Except last trip when it rained in Luxembourg....all day!! :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

I always bring my hooded rain jacket, hoodie and fleece vest no matter where I'm going....well maybe not to Africa..

Still depends on where you're going and what you're going to do! My boss spends about a third of the year in Tanzania at the base of Mt Kilimanjaro. It can be hot. Oh so hot (I went on a business trip during February a few years ago and it was hot. And dry. Except when it rained:rolleyes:) But during rainy season (and especially if you decide to climb) it gets cold. And that's in the middle of the continent. In the south and the north, you'll have more swings in temps because they're not equatorial.

In other words, never assume about weather. The internet these days makes it SO EASY to check what the average daily highs & lows are for any given time period, as well as the average precipitation:D

(I also don't wear "leggings" - I will wear skinny knit pants but I need that extra space that somehow exists between a legging and a pant :p)

Still depends on where you're going and what you're going to do! My boss spends about a third of the year in Tanzania at the base of Mt Kilimanjaro. It can be hot. Oh so hot (I went on a business trip during February a few years ago and it was hot. And dry. Except when it rained:rolleyes:) But during rainy season (and especially if you decide to climb) it gets cold. And that's in the middle of the continent. In the south and the north, you'll have more swings in temps because they're not equatorial.

In other words, never assume about weather. The internet these days makes it SO EASY to check what the average daily highs & lows are for any given time period, as well as the average precipitation:D

(I also don't wear "leggings" - I will wear skinny knit pants but I need that extra space that somehow exists between a legging and a pant :p)

Even though I don't climb and I plug in where I'm going to Weather Channel app about 30 days before I leave, I'd still bring my hoodie!! I'm like Linus with his blanket :D

When skinny pants make me look skinny I'll buy them!!! Meantime I wear a well worn pair of jeans....:D Actually, didn't I recently read somewhere that skinny pants were not good for you because they restrict circulation?

Actually, didn't I recently read somewhere that skinny pants were not good for you because they restrict circulation?

I think that's skinny jeans and only the REALLY tight ones. The pants I wear are much more comfortable to travel in than skinny jeans (to me). I can breathe and move as needed, and that's all I care about.

For my Paris flight I plan to wear loose fitting velour yoga pants, a shirt and a black hoodie. I'll have my fleece jacket in my carryon. In the suitcase I will pack a 'packable' down jacket, hat and gloves. I am debating whether to take a Lands End rain parka or a slicker. I hope I'm prepared!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For my Paris flight I plan to wear loose fitting velour yoga pants, a shirt and a black hoodie. I'll have my fleece jacket in my carryon. In the suitcase I will pack a 'packable' down jacket, hat and gloves. I am debating whether to take a Lands End rain parka or a slicker. I hope I'm prepared!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have used and loved a Gore-Tex rain jacket for many years. DW thought it was extravagant until she got one for herself -- now she understands why the price is worth it!

I have used and loved a Gore-Tex rain jacket for many years. DW thought it was extravagant until she got one for herself -- now she understands why the price is worth it!

Gortex is a breathable material. The Landsend rain slicker, while it will keep you dry, is not breathable and uncomfortable after wearing for a period of time. I have a Gortex windbreaker which is larger than my regular size, but it fits over a sweat shirt or fleece jacket with no problem. It packs up into it's own pocket like a pouch. I bought it in an outdoor camping type store like REI. I bought the men's size because they didn't have the type I wanted in Women's. It's huge on me, but who cares? lol I never use an umbrella, I bring it wherever we go, starting in Alaska, but last year when we had unseasonably rainy weather on the Rhine, it was a godsend. We were able to walk all over and stay relatively dry, despite the downpours.

If you wash your gortex clothes, wash using powdered detergent, not liquid detergent. The liquid detergent does something to the waterproofing.

Edited by Got2Cruise

Gortex is a breathable material. The Landsend rain slicker, while it will keep you dry, is not breathable and uncomfortable after wearing for a period of time. I have a Gortex windbreaker which is larger than my regular size, but it fits over a sweat shirt or fleece jacket with no problem.

Our Gore-tex jackets are from Lands End but we've had them for 5 years or so. They've been great and we do fit them over our fleece jackets. Are you saying that Lands End doesn't sell Gore-tex any longer or that they are misidentifying the material?

Look for a company called Berghaus wonderful waterproof, wind proof, light weight jackets in longer lengths as well, get caught in really heavy rain give a shake and your all dry. I have used mine for some years it's not let me down yet. I wear my walking boots when traveling to save weight but they are Timberlands so a tad smarter than my rough walking boots.

CA

Edited by Canal archive