Enchantment vs. Independence

Ok so I went on my first cruise ever this year on Enchantment of the Seas. My husband and I went with a group of friends, 7 of us total, and we stayed in an Oceanview cabin.

I wasn't all that impressed, but wasn't disappointed, if that makes sense, by the cruise overall. Well, only disappointment was that Ben and Jerry's was still broken, but other than that I would rate it as satisfactory. Loved CocoCay, service was great, food was good. We ate basically every meal in the MDR and there were plenty of options. I'm not a big sandwich or breakfast person. I would have liked more free restaurant options. Nothing was ever appealing in windjammer but no one in our group wanted to pay for dining so didn't get to try Chops, but there were enough choices in MDR for me to be satisfied. Shower was small but room met our needs. Liked the movies on the water but was annoyed that at any given moment there were at least 2 non working hot tubs, either closed, or cool water in them. I would probably rate the cruise a 6/10 having never cruised before.

That being said, I am planning a family reunion cruise next year in November. I personally wanted to do an Oasis class ship but it seems to be out of the price range and out of the cruise length for some of my family, so I'm looking at the 5 day Independence of the Seas, which hits Labadee and Jamaica. I'm assuming Independence will be more of the wow factor than Enchantment, and hopefully less will be broken down, etc. There appears to be much much more to do as well as more dining options. I also plan to splurge on at least a junior suite, but maybe larger depending on the perks. I'm pretty easy to please just prefer for everything to be in working order and food to be edible lol. how is the johnny rockets on this ship? I've only read specific reviews for other ships.

So all that being said, does Independence seem like the best option with a little more wow factor and plenty for all ages to do? I feel like I've read all I can read on cruises lol.

Also, is there a big difference between the Grand, Owner, and Royal Suites? Doesn't seem to be that big a difference for the price difference but I may be missing something.

Thanks in advance!

Indy will be a very large difference from Enchantment. Indy has the Royal Promenade, kiddie's H2O zone, cantilever whirlpools, flowrider, Cafe Promenade, and Sorrtento's. If it's cool, you might miss Enchantment's covered Solarium. Park Cafe will also be missing from Indy.

Park Cafe was the one in the solarium right? Does Cafe Promenade basically replace that? They seem similar except I'm guessing Cafe Promenade isn't in the solarium? I will probably only miss the covered pool if it rains lol I like the sun :D

Are any shutdowns frequent on Independence? pools, ice cream, soda, etc? I'll probably get the drink package again too...

Park Cafe was the one in the solarium right? Does Cafe Promenade basically replace that? They seem similar except I'm guessing Cafe Promenade isn't in the solarium? I will probably only miss the covered pool if it rains lol I like the sun :D

Are any shutdowns frequent on Independence? pools, ice cream, soda, etc? I'll probably get the drink package again too...

Yes, Park Cafe is in the Solarium.

Cafe Promenade is on the Royal Promenade. There is no food venue in the Solarium on Indy.

Cafe Promenade has different offerings than Park Cafe. No breakfast sandwiches or hot roast beef/pork sandwiches. However, Cafe Promenade is open 24 hours.

Agree, the ships are quite different. We have sailed both and are schedule for Enchantment again in January. We are now tending to like the smaller ships, but that is us and we don't use the pools, but do like to sit out in shade and enjoy the Caribbean heat/breezes/pool bars/music when live. The cantilever hot tub is pretty neat. We tried it while at a port and the view of the local area was neat.

With your desire to do an Oasis class ship, I would try the Indy. It is much closer to Oasis class with the internal promenade as one of the best differences.

Have a great cruise on Royal!

Edited by shipshape sam

I agree with the others - BIG difference.

The Enchantment being 82,910 tons, 990 feet long and built in 1997 compared to the Independence at 154,407 tons, 1112 feet long and built in 2008.

We've been on the Grandeur which was originally the same as the Enchantment and the Indy (3 times) and for us, no question - Indy.

Ok so I went on my first cruise ever this year on Enchantment of the Seas. My husband and I went with a group of friends, 7 of us total, and we stayed in an Oceanview cabin.

I wasn't all that impressed, but wasn't disappointed, if that makes sense, by the cruise overall. Well, only disappointment was that Ben and Jerry's was still broken, but other than that I would rate it as satisfactory. Loved CocoCay, service was great, food was good. We ate basically every meal in the MDR and there were plenty of options. I'm not a big sandwich or breakfast person. I would have liked more free restaurant options. Nothing was ever appealing in windjammer but no one in our group wanted to pay for dining so didn't get to try Chops, but there were enough choices in MDR for me to be satisfied. Shower was small but room met our needs. Liked the movies on the water but was annoyed that at any given moment there were at least 2 non working hot tubs, either closed, or cool water in them. I would probably rate the cruise a 6/10 having never cruised before.

That being said, I am planning a family reunion cruise next year in November. I personally wanted to do an Oasis class ship but it seems to be out of the price range and out of the cruise length for some of my family, so I'm looking at the 5 day Independence of the Seas, which hits Labadee and Jamaica. I'm assuming Independence will be more of the wow factor than Enchantment, and hopefully less will be broken down, etc. There appears to be much much more to do as well as more dining options. I also plan to splurge on at least a junior suite, but maybe larger depending on the perks. I'm pretty easy to please just prefer for everything to be in working order and food to be edible lol. how is the johnny rockets on this ship? I've only read specific reviews for other ships.

So all that being said, does Independence seem like the best option with a little more wow factor and plenty for all ages to do? I feel like I've read all I can read on cruises lol.

Also, is there a big difference between the Grand, Owner, and Royal Suites? Doesn't seem to be that big a difference for the price difference but I may be missing something.

Thanks in advance!

Cruise agent here & been on both- as others have said, no comparison between an 83,000 ton ship & 154,000+ ton ship..no "wow" factor on the Enchantment..when you walk into the Royal Promenade on the IOS, you will be impressed ( I was blown away)..balconies are the best option on a cruise for enjoyment & relaxation..read my thread on "cabin selection tips" section called "5 reasons to book a balcony", you will see and read from others, that a balcony completely changes your cruise experience..completely..you go from no connection to the sea, to a world of sensations & awe, none which you can get in an outside window or inside cabin...also the biggest differences between the Grand Suites & the Owner's or Royal Suites is the balcony- Grande Suite balcony is 107 SF, Owner's Suite is 204 SF, Royal Suite is 270 SF..that's a BIG difference.. also, as far as Chops..1) you should try it..great time, food, etc..and 2) If you go the first night, there is often a 20% discount on your bill..side dishes are to die for..and BTW, $39 is nothing when you consider it's a 5 course meal, pretty much all you can eat, and you can get a table by the window over- looking the sea with quiet music & low lighting, unlike the MDR, which is loud, bright & food (IMO) is often so so..a steakhouse like Ruth Chris or Morton's for a similar meal would be $75-100 AND never all you eat..just an FYI & IMHO..we go every time and have never been disappointed...BTW, Giovanni's ( Italian) is also a nice meal at $25 PP..not quite as nice & elegant, more family style ( also 20% off 1st night), but maybe a good choice for a family meal..we had meal on the Oasis in Chops for my wife's 60th b'day last year for 8 of us, and I thought it was terrific..

You didn't mention how old the youngest members are, so in case they are grammar school age, there is a FANTASTIC pool area called the H20 Fun Zone just for kids ( not on the EOS)..for teens there are teen clubs, video arcade rooms , and very important & popular: the FLOWRIDER simulated surf pool..kids love it..also a biggie: the ice skating shows are wonderful for a family to see ( also not on the EOS)..don't miss ( free)..the 70's retro disco party in the Royal Promenade is a blast with the crew members dressed up as the Village People singing "In The Navy" and music by the BeeGees, Abba, Saturday Night Fever, etc..lots of fun ( at night around 10:30 in the RP)...I love the canti-levered hot tubs in the Adult Solarium pool area ( deck 11) that stick out 12 ft over the side & give you AWESOME views of the sea( go on a sea day is best!)..and in Johnny Rockets ( deck 12 aft) the waiters dance to "Respect" or "Stayin Alive"..get a table OUTSIDE by the water..lots of fun..BTW, Johnny Rockets has a great FREE breakfast..we did it on the Oasis..very good! We also prefer the MDR for breakfast, also, order breakfast one morning on a SEA day to your cabin- breakfast out there is marvelous on a beautiful morning at sea on your balcony ( and if you get the Royal or Owner's cabin, you can invite others because there will be plenty of space, lol)..when I think about more, it's a no brainer when you compare these 2 ships for a family cruise with children..go with the Indy..any questions, let me know- I have done 3 Freedom Class cruises, know them well...

Big Al

• 5 weeks later...
Yes, Park Cafe is in the Solarium.

Cafe Promenade is on the Royal Promenade. There is no food venue in the Solarium on Indy.

Cafe Promenade has different offerings than Park Cafe. No breakfast sandwiches or hot roast beef/pork sandwiches. However, Cafe Promenade is open 24 hours.

Just getting my feet wet on IOS and I am liking what I am seeing. RC website does not do a good job IMO in detailing out all the dining, activities, etc compared to others. Anyway....what is Café Promenade? Included or extra?

Just getting my feet wet on IOS and I am liking what I am seeing. RC website does not do a good job IMO in detailing out all the dining, activities, etc compared to others. Anyway....what is Café Promenade? Included or extra?

Cafe Promenade is a food/bar venue on Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class ships. I don't know if there is one on Quantum class. The food items are free, and include things like small sandwiches, wraps, fruit cups, desserts, cookies, fruit, etc. On Voyager class ships, it also includes pizza slices. On the other classes of ships, the pizza is offered in a different complimentary venue called Sorrento's.

• 4 weeks later...
We are fans of Enchantment AND Freedom... so my question is, any differences between Freedom and Indy? Is there a Diamond lounge on the Indy?

Freedom and Indy are very close. Freedom has Dreamworks characters, Indy does not. Freedom has also been updated recently, so has lost the two-deck nightclub but has gained a restaurant. Indy still has the two-deck noghtclub.

• 1 year later...
Cruise agent here & been on both- as others have said, no comparison between an 83,000 ton ship & 154,000+ ton ship..no "wow" factor on the Enchantment..when you walk into the Royal Promenade on the IOS, you will be impressed ( I was blown away)..balconies are the best option on a cruise for enjoyment & relaxation..read my thread on "cabin selection tips" section called "5 reasons to book a balcony", you will see and read from others, that a balcony completely changes your cruise experience..completely..you go from no connection to the sea, to a world of sensations & awe, none which you can get in an outside window or inside cabin...also the biggest differences between the Grand Suites & the Owner's or Royal Suites is the balcony- Grande Suite balcony is 107 SF, Owner's Suite is 204 SF, Royal Suite is 270 SF..that's a BIG difference.. also, as far as Chops..1) you should try it..great time, food, etc..and 2) If you go the first night, there is often a 20% discount on your bill..side dishes are to die for..and BTW, $39 is nothing when you consider it's a 5 course meal, pretty much all you can eat, and you can get a table by the window over- looking the sea with quiet music & low lighting, unlike the MDR, which is loud, bright & food (IMO) is often so so..a steakhouse like Ruth Chris or Morton's for a similar meal would be $75-100 AND never all you eat..just an FYI & IMHO..we go every time and have never been disappointed...BTW, Giovanni's ( Italian) is also a nice meal at $25 PP..not quite as nice & elegant, more family style ( also 20% off 1st night), but maybe a good choice for a family meal..we had meal on the Oasis in Chops for my wife's 60th b'day last year for 8 of us, and I thought it was terrific..

You didn't mention how old the youngest members are, so in case they are grammar school age, there is a FANTASTIC pool area called the H20 Fun Zone just for kids ( not on the EOS)..for teens there are teen clubs, video arcade rooms , and very important & popular: the FLOWRIDER simulated surf pool..kids love it..also a biggie: the ice skating shows are wonderful for a family to see ( also not on the EOS)..don't miss ( free)..the 70's retro disco party in the Royal Promenade is a blast with the crew members dressed up as the Village People singing "In The Navy" and music by the BeeGees, Abba, Saturday Night Fever, etc..lots of fun ( at night around 10:30 in the RP)...I love the canti-levered hot tubs in the Adult Solarium pool area ( deck 11) that stick out 12 ft over the side & give you AWESOME views of the sea( go on a sea day is best!)..and in Johnny Rockets ( deck 12 aft) the waiters dance to "Respect" or "Stayin Alive"..get a table OUTSIDE by the water..lots of fun..BTW, Johnny Rockets has a great FREE breakfast..we did it on the Oasis..very good! We also prefer the MDR for breakfast, also, order breakfast one morning on a SEA day to your cabin- breakfast out there is marvelous on a beautiful morning at sea on your balcony ( and if you get the Royal or Owner's cabin, you can invite others because there will be plenty of space, lol)..when I think about more, it's a no brainer when you compare these 2 ships for a family cruise with children..go with the Indy..any questions, let me know- I have done 3 Freedom Class cruises, know them well...

Big Al

I know this is an older thread but I have a question about the Enchantment of the Seas. Do you know if the Royal Suite has 2 bathrooms? Thank you!

We had a JS on both ships and to me the Independence cabin and the whole ship was far superior to Enchantment.

The Oasis class with the Central Park and Boardwalk is far superior to Independence.​

I love Enchantment, but for sure more to see/do on Indy. Love that ship also, especially the ice show! Hubby loves the promenade. Plus it has GREASE which is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!