Head Waiter

cruiserjanet

Just curious what the duties of a Head Waiter are? I'm currently at the end of the 1st week of a 2 week cruise and our head waiter has only come by once. We are a table of 6. There is a table of 8 that he visits at least once or twice a night but he never even looks at our table nor does he stop by the other tables in our section.

Supervises the waitstaff for a number of tables. Takes care of special food requests such as no-salt, allergies, etc.

Is supposed to stop at every table in his area most evenings to check if the passengers have any problems.

Someone at that table may have a food allergy. If they do he brings the next nights menu to them so they can preorder their meal and make sure it can be made without anything that may make them sick.

I was going to suggest that as well (one of the couple we often sail with is a vegetarian and he is visited nightly, unless he decided to go with something from the main menu).

Also, is the 8-top in a different section? Last cruise we had such a senior waiter, she was almost a head waiter and would hardly have needed checking up on.

Maybe someone at that table is an acquaintance or crossed his palm with green stuff.;)

Wave at him next time. Some are more fun than others so you might be sorry if he does start coming by. LOL. We have them at the table all the time when we take the little kids.

On our Royal 27 day British Isles/TA last month Leonard, the headwaiter in our section of Allegro, went to every table in his section every night. He checked to make sure everything was to our liking and made everyone feel very welcome. In addition, he helped anyone who had a special need or food allergy plan their meal for the next night. Someone at our table had many food allergies, and he not only helped her plan her meal, but he also came to the table as soon as it was served every night to be sure that the meal was properly prepared. One night she had a late tour, and he made sure her meal was sent to her in Horizon Court when she returned from her tour. It was obvious how much he loved his job and how much it meant to him to have his passengers enjoy their dinner.

Janet, by your signature, you've sailed Princess a number of times. What has you previous experiences been? We usually have a special request....i.e., we like garlic bread instead of the basket of bread. We know the drill. We mention to Waiter who summons the Head waiter. Depends on the personality, but normally the head waiter will drop by and ask if everything is in order....we laugh, comment, praise....escargot on a special night..sure. They can be very accommodating. But not always...cruise before last, asked for escargot and he said, no, the chef wouldn't open an extra can! A good head waiter will also assist the waiters and asst's when things get crazy....

Edited by Murphey

This actually is probably true. It's amazing how much more attention you get after a Hand$hake ! :D

The last thing I would want to do is grease the palm of a HW just so he/she would drop by and fawn over us at dinner in anticipation of more of the same.

The last thing I would want to do is grease the palm of a HW just so he/she would drop by and fawn over us at dinner in anticipation of more of the same.

I feel the same.

On the last cruise on the second night (we got our preferred table seating that morning), our waiter read off the list of specials to consider. As they were basically fish, I casually mentioned that I'm allergic to shrimp so I skip seafood. A couple of minutes later, the head waiter showed up offering to help me. I assured him I was okay (I don't like seafood so avoiding shrimp is usually easy unless it's an unnamed added ingredient or if there's cross contamination with serving utensils or heating pans -- that actually caused a bad reaction for me at a Taste Of event).

Other than that, we usually don't make any special requests.

Janet, by your signature, you've sailed Princess a number of times. What has you previous experiences been? We usually have a special request....i.e., we like garlic bread instead of the basket of bread. We know the drill. We mention to Waiter who summons the Head waiter. Depends on the personality, but normally the head waiter will drop by and ask if everything is in order....we laugh, comment, praise....escargot on a special night..sure. They can be very accommodating. But not always...cruise before last, asked for escargot and he said, no, the chef wouldn't open an extra can! A good head waiter will also assist the waiters and asst's when things get crazy....

We've never been completely ignored by a head waiter. We don't have any special requests, don't expect special treatment because we are Elite or in a suite. We just expect the head waiter to stop by our table if he is stopping by others, if that is part of his job. We had a few questions one night that the waiter couldn't answer and had to ask for the head waiter. We wouldn't have had to ask for him if he had stopped by.

I feel the same.

On the last cruise on the second night (we got our preferred table seating that morning)' date=' our waiter read off the list of specials to consider. As they were basically fish, I casually mentioned that I'm allergic to shrimp so I skip seafood. A couple of minutes later, the head waiter showed up offering to help me. I assured him I was okay (I don't like seafood so avoiding shrimp is usually easy unless it's an unnamed added ingredient or if there's cross contamination with serving utensils or heating pans -- that actually caused a bad reaction for me at a Taste Of event).

Other than that, we usually don't make any special requests.[/quote']

Hey Patty. Glad you replied. Want to go off topic a little and tell you that On Time was great. We would use them again. Unfortunately our driver was in an accident before coming to us so they sent a Town Car and Suburban since there were six of us and 11 pieces of luggage and still made it on time.

I've had some great Head Waiters and some pretty aloof ones.

I do think they should go around to all the tables in the dining room in their section and greet everyone and make sure everything is alright. On one cruise I had to ask the waiter who was our Head Waiter because he never came around.

I've seen Head Waiters stand around chatting amongst themselves in the buffet when it was particularly busy. They could have been helping out by clearing some tables (even though perhaps this isn't their job).

Cheers.

I've only had 2 cruises where the HW didn't stop every evening, and often would stop and say hi in the buffet at lunch. When the HW doesn't stop by on a regular basis, I am not inclined to tip him at the end, and don't. However, one the best I've ever had was on Princess, about 6 years ago. Claudio, I'll never forget how awesome he was. I think Princess has a great staff, with very few exceptions.

Maureen

Edited by jrzebird

I've only had 2 cruises where the HW didn't stop every evening, and often would stop and say hi in the buffet at lunch. When the HW doesn't stop by on a regular basis, I am not inclined to tip him at the end, and don't. However, one the best I've ever had was on Princess, about 6 years ago. Claudio, I'll never forget how awesome he was. I think Princess has a great staff, with very few exceptions.

Maureen

I know a head waiter named Claudio and he is terrific. He always says..Eh? I asked if he was Canadian..even though I know he's from Italy. I'd love to see him and his wife, Oksana, again.

We usually have a special request....i.e., we like garlic bread instead of the basket of bread.

You can get Garlic Bread over the basket of bread? Really? Awesome news!! My wife and I love Garlic Bread and would much prefer that over the basket of bread where only two options are to our liking and most of the other bread goes to waste.

:):o

Just talk to the Head Waiter. It's a special request. It can be hit or miss. This last cruise on the Regal, it was fantastic. If you have anytime dining, you have to know when/where you are dining as it is freshly made for you each night that it is requested. It's not like it's just back in the galley for waiters to scoop up.

We seldom have a visit from the head waiter, actually we have probably had more visits from the maître-d then the head waiter.

Have no clue what the Maitre-d looks like other than from a picture and we are now on Day 10 of a 15 day cruise. BTW, we have traditional dining and our waiter and assistant waiter have been fantastic. Working very hard and knew all of our names (there are 6 of us) by the second night.

My experience with headwaiters on Princess has been hit or miss. They have supervisory responsiblities for the operations of their rooms, and they have host responsibilities. Most seem to do a good job of running the room. Sadly, many of them seem to fall short on the hospitality side.

We do most of our dining in the specialty restaurants. Once we are seated, very rarely will the headwaiter make any attempt to engage us in conversation. Usually, once during the evening, he (I have yet to encouter a female HW.) will stop by and ask how we are enjoying our evening. Generally, we will nod and say something like "Very good, thank you." Someplace between the "thank" and the "you" he has moved on to the next table. Even the ship's Maitre d' did this to us on our last cruise. The particularly funny thing about this incident was the fact that that the room's headwaiter was following the Maitre d' around as they "worked the room" together. That was the only time I saw the HW that evening.

I may or may not tip a headwaiter on my last visit to a given room. I have never given an "up front" tip, but I can see where that would draw some attention.

Here is one thing that I have found does draw attention. If I order a particularly expensive (which to me means over $100) bottle of wine off the wine list, that will attract all kinds of attention for the entire evening. The last time I did it, not only did the headwaiter gush over us for the entire evening, but several of the other servers in the room came over and commented on the wine.

I agree, that is not the definition of hospitality, but it has been my observation.

Here is another observation. When I first started cruising with Princess four years ago, when we were seated and given the menus, the headwaiter would always offer advice on a wine selection. More often than not I would pass, but on the ocassions that I did ask for their opinions, I found them to be very good. Lately, I get no such offer from headwaiters. Also, however, I have found the opinions of the servers to be better informed than those of the HW. That may be a fluke. I may have to do more research in that area. Happily I do feel that I am up to the task.:)

The only experience that we have ever had with our head waiter (2 cruises) is the night before last he comes over and sees if everything has gone well. (Looking to cement his tip I presume?):eek:

Exactly. I have nothing to do with HW's nor do I want contact with them. They provide little value to me.