Newbies

ShipsAhoy425

Hi all, we are gearing up for our first Princess cruise and had a few questions that we are having a hard time finding by searching...

- Any where have dinner menus posted? We are foodies and love to look at that kind of stuff :)

- From what I've gathered just by bits and pieces, I'm assuming that lunch at Princess Cay's is not an additional charge, is this correct?

- What are any tips or tricks we should know? The other lines we have sailed on, we have found ample pages and pages of tips, secrets, etc., but I'm not having much luck so far with this on Princess.

- When booking an excursion, do you have to pay for it in advance or is it just added to your tab while onboard? DCL was just added to your tab, but CCL you had to prepay.

TIA and I'll gladly take any thing you have to offer (info wise) of course! :)

-- You'll find lots of dinner menus posted. Just do a search for menus. They are pretty consistent on all ships. It's the same menu whether you have Anytime (open seating) or Traditional (fixed) seating.

-- Lunch in Princess Cays is free.

-- There's a sticky at the top of the page with lots of suggestions and tips.

-- You have your choice: you can book an excursion and pre-pay it; if you opt not to, it'll be added to your folio to be paid at the end of the cruise.

Princess prides itself on consistency. If you've been on one Princess ship, you'll feel at home on another.

Edited by Pam in CA

Hi all, we are gearing up for our first Princess cruise and had a few questions that we are having a hard time finding by searching...

- Any where have dinner menus posted? We are foodies and love to look at that kind of stuff :)

- From what I've gathered just by bits and pieces, I'm assuming that lunch at Princess Cay's is not an additional charge, is this correct? Lunch on Princess Cay’s is free. It is only things like Hamburgers and Hotdogs, beans, fruit.

- What are any tips or tricks we should know? The other lines we have sailed on, we have found ample pages and pages of tips, secrets, etc., but I'm not having much luck so far with this on Princess.

- When booking an excursion, do you have to pay for it in advance or is it just added to your tab while onboard? DCL was just added to your tab, but CCL you had to prepay. If you sign up for excursions through Princess you can do this ahead of time online. It is best to do this because the excursions can fill up before you sail. The excursions are added to your onboard folio that you receive at the end of the cruise and is then charged to you credit card or other arranged payment.

See answers above

Just so you know...nothing is "free"...it's INCLUDED in your fare!

The BBQ lunch on Princess Cays should have plenty of lunch foods....including burgers, hot dogs, chicken, salads (like potato, cole slaw, green, fruit), whole fruits, cookies, chips, etc....you won't go hungry.

There are 2 threads on here somewhere with tips. One was started a couple of years ago, it got to a lot of pages, so someone started a new one this year.

Try a search for tips or hints. If it doesn't come up here, try Google (seems to work better sometimes).;)

-- You'll find lots of dinner menus posted. Just do a search for menus. They are pretty consistent on all ships. It's the same menu whether you have Anytime (open seating) or Traditional (fixed) seating.

-- Lunch in Princess Cays is free.

-- There's a sticky at the top of the page with lots of suggestions and tips.

-- You have your choice: you can book an excursion and pre-pay it; if you opt not to, it'll be added to your folio to be paid at the end of the cruise.

If you've been on one Princess ship, you'll feel at home on another.

Pam did a great job of answering your questions!

Just adding .... Once on the ship the Menu for Dinner (also Lunch on At Sea days) will be posted outside of the MDR each day.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

LuLu

And unless things have changed in a few years since our last cruise, you can cancel a pre-booked excursion by dropping the ticket envelope (your cabin steward will put your tickets in your cabin on the first day) in the box by the shore excursions desk before the deadline listed on the tickets.

I strongly suggest you go on the Princess website and find the Cruise Answer Place, which is the FAQ section. Lots of info to help you out.

You can do a search on this board for menus. There's been a few people who have actually typed out a cruise worth of menus. Some have taken photos (I posted some for my last cruise but I'm not sure how much they've changed since then) of menus too. There are standard menus that will be on all of the Princess ships and there may be some special menus (on the holiday cruises,for example). You won't get a repeated menu, but every once in a while you may see an item pop up more than once. But all the main dining rooms will have the same menu with the same dress code. And there's a set "always available" offerings.

As others have said, look at the stickies on the front page of the board and you should be able to find the one with the tips.

Hmmm, it's no longer a sticky, but here's the tips thread for this year: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169088&highlight=tips

Edited by Cruisin' Chick

As others have said' date=' look at the stickies on the front page of the board and you should be able to find the one with the tips.

Hmmm, it's no longer a sticky, but here's the tips thread for this year: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169088&highlight=tips[/quote']

Thank you! I was beginning to think I was going crazy since I didn't see any stickies that were related to this, although I kept getting referred to them! :p

I have been doing some intense searching and have found more info, but it just doesn't seem to come as easy as say, DCL. I've already started a list of tips and things not to miss, that's why I love these threads!

:)

Here are a few tips you don't have to look for:

When you board go directly to your cabin it will be ready. The muster drill is held inside in the lounges. Carry don't wear your life vest to the drill, you will be instructed to put it on at the end of the drill. If you want a seat arrive 10/15 mins. early. If you enjoy espresso drinks consider the coffee card. Reservations for all specialty is done on board only. Call the dine line or visit the restaurant the first afternoon. If you wish to book The Sanctuary go directly there after boarding before you go to your cabin. In warm weather cruises lounges fill quickly. French Toast is available in the DR even if it isn't on the menu. The DR is only open for lunch on sea days, open for breakfast every day.

Edited by sknight

They have an English Pub lunch on sea days in the Wheelhouse Bar

We enjoy this lunch. The International Cafe is open 24 hrs and always has good food. Breakfast there is an assortment of breakfast pastries, then for lunch they change to salads and sandwiches which they serve the rest of the day. You will not go hungry on the Crown

And unless things have changed in a few years since our last cruise' date=' you can cancel a pre-booked excursion by dropping the ticket envelope (your cabin steward will put your tickets in your cabin on the first day) in the box by the shore excursions desk before the deadline listed on the tickets.

t=2169088&highlight=tips[/url']

You can still cancel an excursion up to the day before by placing the vouchers in the mail slot at the shore excursions desk. I have seen excursions that must be canceled much earlier but in no case earlier than when you board the ship. Read your vouchers for cancellation info. it will automatically be deleted from your folio.

On some (most?) ships you can reserve a dinner time if you are using ATD by contacting the dining room. The most wanted times (6 to 7:30 or so) are usually blocked out however. You can reserve dinner in one of the two specialty restaurants but need to do it soon after boarding. Formal nights are the first to book up. The pub lunch is great on a sea day but is usually offered only once on a 7 day voyage and tends to be very crowded.

You can have access to your stateroom when you board. The buffet (HC) and a dining room will be available for lunch. MDR is available noon to 1:30 only however. The HC is available until 11 PM. The pizzeria and grill are located next to the main swimming pool and open 11 AM to 11 pm or so. The pizza is really good. They have tea time every afternoon.

BTW, the lunch menu for the MDRs will be posted in the morning in a display case outside each door and then it gets switched for the dinner menu after lunch.

On some ships (at least the ones I've been on), the Horizon Court (the buffet) will have two entrances (and maybe even two back ones...the Golden does). So when the items are being switched from breakfast to lunch, lunch to mid-afternoon, etc. on one side, the other side will have food available.

The International Cafe is (usually...you can see on the deck plans for your ship on the Princess website) on the Plaza deck, midships in the Grand Atrium area called the Piazza. It's not an enclosed eatery, but a set of display cases with a specialty coffee counter. You tell the worker behind the counter what you want and he or she will plate it for you. You can even find a table in that area or take your food to a lounge, the pool area, your cabin....

Just a couple of points on the food topic, lunch is served in the MDR until (I think) 1 pm on boarding day, but tends not to be advertised. Lunch is also generally served in one of the MDR's on sea days, but usually not port days, Lunch MDR menus change daily. The princess dinner menu is 2 pages, one changes items, one is the every day items, there is some talk online of some changes to the menu coming over the next few months, so you may want to check back closer to your cruise in March on this topic.

Since you mention being Foodies, in my opinion the best food on board excluding the speciality dining venues can be found in the MDR breakfast, lunch and dinner, with some good treats and snacks found at the International Cafe (although some items are a bit hit or miss), room service chips and dip, fruit plates, etc. are also good and are sized by the number of people eating.

Ike

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are so awesome! For the food found at the International Cafe, is that "included" or is that extra cost? On Carnival they had a similar sounding area, but the mostly desserts found there were an extra cost. Just like to make sure I know ahead of time ;)

As far as formal wear goes, would we be out of place in a nice dress and DH in a jacket with (or without?) a tie or does he have to actually wear a tux?

You guys are so awesome! For the food found at the International Cafe, is that "included" or is that extra cost? On Carnival they had a similar sounding area, but the mostly desserts found there were an extra cost. Just like to make sure I know ahead of time ;)

included

As far as formal wear goes, would we be out of place in a nice dress and DH in a jacket with (or without?) a tie or does he have to actually wear a tux?

Sounds like the norm, no tux required

Edited by Musky Ike

Just so you know...nothing is "free"...it's INCLUDED in your fare!

The BBQ lunch on Princess Cays should have plenty of lunch foods....including burgers, hot dogs, chicken, salads (like potato, cole slaw, green, fruit), whole fruits, cookies, chips, etc....you won't go hungry.

Unless it has changed in the last year or so, the Princess Cays lunch serves some pretty good BBQ'd ribs and chicken.

Another tidbit is the Chef's Table. It's very popular and they only take 12 people, so the earlier you can board the better. As soon as you get to your cabin call the DINE line and put your name(s) in the pot.

It's $95/person, and takes about 2.5-3 hours. For "foodies", and others, it's a must. It begins with appetizers and champaigne in the galley, then a 5 course meal at a private table out in the dining room, paired with the appropriate wine for each course. At the end a ship's photog will take a nice pix of your group with the maitre'd and head chef. The ladies get a long stemmed rose, and the group gets a copy of Princess' cook book, Courses.

Another tidbit is the Chef's Table. It's very popular and they only take 12 people, so the earlier you can board the better. As soon as you get to your cabin call the DINE line and put your name(s) in the pot.

It's $95/person, and takes about 2.5-3 hours. For "foodies", and others, it's a must. It begins with appetizers and champaigne in the galley, then a 5 course meal at a private table out in the dining room, paired with the appropriate wine for each course. At the end a ship's photog will take a nice pix of your group with the maitre'd and head chef. The ladies get a long stemmed rose, and the group gets a copy of Princess' cook book, Courses.

Also, give consideration to the Ultimate Balcony Dinner (UBD). This is one our favorites. $50/pp.

If I could post pics, I would do so, but after 40 years it the business, I have become a tech trogoldyte. So, I will longhand the menu.

--

Cocktails

Canapes

1/2-Bottle of Champagne

--

Pacific Blue Crab Cake Baked in Puff Pastry Crown

--

Marinated Chevre and Mesclun Field Greens

-- Entree --

Broiled Tails of Cold Water Lobster

or

Grilled Filet of Beef Tenderloin Diane

or

Surf and Turf

Lobster Tail and Filet

--

Princess' Extraordinary Chocolate Quartet

--

Plate of Petit Fours

--

We always bring some of our own wine on board. So, when we have the UBD, we are, usually, also having a primo wine. Last time (two weeks ago) I had an Apsara Kenefick Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon with my Filet, and my wife had a Lewis Napa Valley Chardonnay with her lobster. Also, while I am a wine snob, the fact that they replaced the Champagne with a Procecco did not particularly bother me. Still tasted pretty good.

I am not really a chocoholic, but that dessert is amazing. Hard to describe, but it is four dollops of different chocolate mousses, covered with a thin sheet of chocolate under a curled chocolate lattice accompanied by raspberries and raspberry sauce.

We actually had three plates of the Petit Fours. We were noshing on Petit Fours the rest of the cruise. Even stale, they were pretty good.

There will be tuxes...but they will be far in the minority. Slacks and sports jackets will abound. If all else fails, eat somewhere else that night, if you're set up for standard dining.

Now...I went to JC Penney's and bought a tux a few years ago. When else would I ever wear one? And the ladies almost always like to play dress up. I have only seen one couple ever turned away from the dining room on formal night, and I gave them credit for originality...in skimpy black leather.

- From what I've gathered just by bits and pieces, I'm assuming that lunch at Princess Cay's is not an additional charge, is this correct?

- When booking an excursion, do you have to pay for it in advance or is it just added to your tab while onboard? DCL was just added to your tab, but CCL you had to prepay.

Hi Beth, Google Princess Menu's and you'll get an idea of what's available. You're right about Princess Cays.

You CAN prepay excursion's, but we like to wait until we take them.

Formal night's have really changed since we started cruising. I wear a nice skirt or pants and blouse and DH wears a long sleeved shirt and nice dark slacks. You may still see tuxes and "bridesmaid's" dresses, but not so much since the airline's luggage fees were instituted.