Ham Radio

dakrewser

My Son-in-law who is an active and avid amateur radio operator (as is my daughter and grandson) will be making his first cruise (western Carib on NA) in late November and is interested in bringing a small "rig" (is that the word?) along. He's investigated the rules and he qualifies (as a licensed Amateur Extra), there is an agreement between the Netherlands and US covering this, but he needs permission from the ship's captain.

Are there any other HAMs out there who have done this (my search shows the last thread about this to have been almost 10 years ago), or does anyone know how to contact the captain before sailing?

My Son-in-law who is an active and avid amateur radio operator (as is my daughter and grandson) will be making his first cruise (western Carib on NA) in late November and is interested in bringing a small "rig" (is that the word?) along. He's investigated the rules and he qualifies (as a licensed Amateur Extra), there is an agreement between the Netherlands and US covering this, but he needs permission from the ship's captain.

Are there any other HAMs out there who have done this (my search shows the last thread about this to have been almost 10 years ago), or does anyone know how to contact the captain before sailing?

We had a HAM operator with a "small rig" on AMDM in Alaska in August, operating from Deck 3 aft. There is a process involved. Have your SIL contact Seattle (start with Ship Services) to outline his plans and supply a copy of his license. He should get a letter back outlining the onboard rules, the most important two of which are: a. that the HAM's equipment can not interfere with any of the ship's electronic equipment and b. that he can only operate his equipment while the ship is at sea (not in port)

Have him take that letter onboard and present same to the Front Office. The FO is supposed to contact the security officer who, in turn, will relay the info to the captain and/or staff captain. Once he/they give permission he is good to go, providing the accompanying rules are followed. There were no issues with the HAM on AMDM

John-as a ham radio operator who has operated a "rig" on the Zuiderdam, a few years ago, your advice is right on!

I was fortunate that I belonged to a ham radio organization who obtained approval to set up 2 shortwave (HF) stations and also obtained permission for individuals to operate as well. Due to the circumstances I also had permission to operate from DW. We had a veranda cabin which adjoined a similar cabin with long-term friends, whose male unit was also a ham. We set up an antenna that I had used on my car and had a blast! Operating at sea was the most electrically quiet environment I had ever experienced. It was a real treat to operate as a "maritime mobile"! :D

Thanks all for the replies.

SIL did go through the motions, sort of, contacting Ships Services by email, but got a rather cold reply: "At this time however we will not have the ability to allow you to operate your amateur radio onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. This is per my communications team and Bridge. As they have the final decision."

Now that isn't even grammatically correct (they - which they? - do not have the ability to allow? ) which is why I turned to CC for help in contacting the Captain/Master. Unlike some on this board, I have an innate distrust of Seattle's first answers.

Any tips on a way around this?

John-as a ham radio operator who has operated a "rig" on the Zuiderdam, a few years ago, your advice is right on!

I was fortunate that I belonged to a ham radio organization who obtained approval to set up 2 shortwave (HF) stations and also obtained permission for individuals to operate as well. Due to the circumstances I also had permission to operate from DW. We had a veranda cabin which adjoined a similar cabin with long-term friends, whose male unit was also a ham. We set up an antenna that I had used on my car and had a blast! Operating at sea was the most electrically quiet environment I had ever experienced. It was a real treat to operate as a "maritime mobile"! :D

Virginia let you operate from her? ;)

John,

If the Veendam will allow, my husband will be a happier camper. We became 'close friends' with the communications minister on Antigua, when we were there for a week just trying to get it set up. I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks,

Elaine

momatibm

Thanks all for the replies.

SIL did go through the motions, sort of, contacting Ships Services by email, but got a rather cold reply: "At this time however we will not have the ability to allow you to operate your amateur radio onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. This is per my communications team and Bridge. As they have the final decision."

Now that isn't even grammatically correct (they - which they? - do not have the ability to allow? ) which is why I turned to CC for help in contacting the Captain/Master. Unlike some on this board, I have an innate distrust of Seattle's first answers.

Any tips on a way around this?

Why couldn't you do as Copper has so succinctly described is the correct process? Most of us here know not every answer we get from reps in the Seattle office are correct or even remotely correct. Sure sometimes we get a 'good' answer but sometimes they are proven to provide bad information.

Why couldn't you do as Copper has so succinctly described is the correct process? Most of us here know not every answer we get from reps in the Seattle office are correct or even remotely correct. Sure sometimes we get a 'good' answer but sometimes they are proven to provide bad information.

I will have him do that, but I did want to mention what he'd already tried - some weeks ago.

I will have him do that, but I did want to mention what he'd already tried - some weeks ago.

If you can stand by a couple 2-3 days I'll see if I can find out who the contact in Seattle was that arranged the HAM op on AMDM in August. Might facilitate matters a bit

If you can stand by a couple 2-3 days I'll see if I can find out who the contact in Seattle was that arranged the HAM op on AMDM in August. Might facilitate matters a bit

Not a problem, I'll have him wait. If you prefer, you can email the info to me at: cc AT vquill DOT com

What a great idea!

Put a 'station' on board each HAL ship. Provide the set and the license to operate from the ship.

Then any HAM operator coming on board with his operator license and is up to date.... he can rent the time on board for a nominal price.... paid on you On Board Account.... of course!.

It would be fun for sure.

Best I can do is 12 words a minute... on an Aldis lamp. Must be rusty. ;-)

Would hurt to put the idea to HAL... even if any cruise ship had the set to speak to.

What a great idea!

Put a 'station' on board each HAL ship. Provide the set and the license to operate from the ship.

Then any HAM operator coming on board with his operator license and is up to date.... he can rent the time on board for a nominal price.... paid on you On Board Account.... of course!.

It would be fun for sure.

Best I can do is 12 words a minute... on an Aldis lamp. Must be rusty. ;-)

Would hurt to put the idea to HAL... even if any cruise ship had the set to speak to.

I think that the last thing I'd want to do as a licensed HAM operator is to rent time on equipment provided by HAL or any other cruise line. A large part of the enjoyment in the field is making your existing equipment work under different and often challenging conditions in different locations.

I'm just curious - what does one do with the radio on board? I'm unfamiliar with amateur/ham radio; I read the wikipedia entry but still don't understand what the main reason for involvement is, or why it would be of interest on a cruise.

As I understand it, you have a much greater range when on the water (no mountains, buildings, etc. in the way) plus you're closer to some parts of the world then you are at home. Of course, you can't collect CQ cards (I think that's right) for connections you make while at sea, but it's still (evidently) fun to do.

As I understand it, you have a much greater range when on the water (no mountains, buildings, etc. in the way) plus you're closer to some parts of the world then you are at home. Of course, you can't collect CQ cards (I think that's right) for connections you make while at sea, but it's still (evidently) fun to do.

Thanks. It does seem fun, as well as reportedly useful during some natural disasters.

Thanks. It does seem fun, as well as reportedly useful during some natural disasters.

Daughter & SIL haven't done any disasters yet, but they annually work the Marine Corps Marathon in DC, and had emergency coverage when the Pope was in town.

They were scheduled for 'disaster rehearsal' a couple of weeks ago - the weekend Hurricane Joaquin had been predicted to head up the Chesapeake Bay. Fortunately the storm turned out to sea so they could get by with pretending there was a disaster!

When my late DH was in Viet Nam, he was able to call me about once a month and we had to go through HAM operators. DH would speak and say 'over' and then I would speak. It was so awkward but I was very appreciative to the HAM Operators who made it possible for me to hear his voice. At least I knew that at the exact moment, he was safe and well. I couldn't know what might happen five minutes later.

Edited by sail7seas

I think that the last thing I'd want to do as a licensed HAM operator is to rent time on equipment provided by HAL or any other cruise line. A large part of the enjoyment in the field is making your existing equipment work under different and often challenging conditions in different locations.

OK... let them just charge for the power outlet. :rolleyes:

I plan on bringing the portable handheld VHF/UHF radio on a Norwegian Cruise. I think there should be two category of ham operations. Portable as in handheld, Station as in setting up big antenna with HF, mobile VHF/UHF. I am thinking the cruise line might think that you are sticking a 20 feet antenna out the balcony and put out a couple hundred watts. Hence the cruise line says hell no.

My plan is the bring the portable ham radios on board so I could use them in US Virgin Islands. Of course, if I am allowed to operate on board, that would be great. If not, would I still be able to bring them on board and only use them during shore excursion?

I am thinking the cruise line might think that you are sticking a 20 feet antenna out the balcony and put out a couple hundred watts. Hence the cruise line says hell no.

QUOTE]

Well, if it come to that... then no. I meant as in a small up station on board... as in a Radio Room. Not bring gear out from the balcony. If they put up a climbing wall, why not a station!

Edited by Topsham

From an amateur radio website:

I will be operating as K6UN/VP9 maritime mobile onboard the Grand Princess, November 8-15th, 2015. This sailing is a California Costal Cruise, leaving round trip fro"m San Francisco and visiting Santa Barbara, Los Angenes, San Diego and Ensenada, Mexico. I plan to operate while in International waters on 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters. Hope to see you on the air!"

I plan on bringing the portable handheld VHF/UHF radio on a Norwegian Cruise. I think there should be two category of ham operations. Portable as in handheld, Station as in setting up big antenna with HF, mobile VHF/UHF. I am thinking the cruise line might think that you are sticking a 20 feet antenna out the balcony and put out a couple hundred watts. Hence the cruise line says hell no.

My plan is the bring the portable ham radios on board so I could use them in US Virgin Islands. Of course, if I am allowed to operate on board, that would be great. If not, would I still be able to bring them on board and only use them during shore excursion?

Whether you will be allowed to operate on shore will depend upon the local laws and regulations. The shore excursion may also have restrictions.